• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

ghst

thanks for the laugh
look at the bright side, when SC2 becomes a competitive irrelevance with all the playerbase of the average brood war custom game; blizzard will surely abandon the game and the last remnants of community will flock to some mod team which has the balls to make the changes which need to be made. none of this conservative "we did this one tiny change and will let it sit on a balance test map for a month while the game dies beneath our feet".

there'll only be a handful of people playing it, but at least it won't be shit.

look at the bright side, when SC2 becomes a competitive irrelevance with all the playerbase of the average brood war custom game; blizzard will surely abandon the game and the last remnants of community will flock to some mod team which has the balls to make the changes which need to be made. none of this conservative "we did this one tiny change and will let it sit on a balance test map for a month while the game dies beneath our feet".

there'll only be a handful of people playing it, but at least it won't be shit.

SC2 needs the 3rd expansion to come out before the E-Sports scene goes away, I want to see the highest level of play before SC2 retires. The problem is that the new MOBA competition has become too much. RTS as a ESports is hard enough on its own but SC2 is still hanging on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"Storm and colossus, why do they need both those things"

The man speaks the truth. Also, Voids and 3-3 zealots are broken

SamuraiX-

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

blizzcon.gif

Zen

Banned
Protoss really is the reason why SCII is failing.

:p

Or rather, it is the clearest reason in highlighting what's wrong with the game.

But seriously fuck Protoss, they're a terribly designed race, I do like how Sheth mentioned that Protoss was a part of his decision to retire, citing that every progamer he talked to has issues with Protoss's retarded design. Even Nony talks about how it would be nice if the race was completely different, warp-ins were largely gone and Colossus didn't exist, but it isn't realistic given the circumstances of development.

When the company themselves says that the product probably wasn't worth the opportunity cost, I think it's clear that the people who are put on the game post release do care, but probably simply can't make the changes necessary due to their team size and budgets. Any 'big' changes can only be justified with the ramp up to a new expansion release. I'm sure what they have in place now is a skeleton crew, and there isn't anywhere near enough corporate focus in SCII to actually make informed business decisions that are well thought out. SCII ended up being made 'for the fans', but it isn't in line with the new expectations of Blizzard, I'm sure. They're probably too busy tryign to recognize how they fucked up Diablo III to care about stabilizing StarCraft II, something that has very little incentive for them financially at the moment,

The new maps are really nice though. The game is still the best of the genre atm, and it IS awesome, but that's not always enough. And let's be honest, numbers for SCII are stable in spite of the Moba onslaught. If Blizz hadn't choked the scene with WCS, I feel like things could have gone differently. All that said, guys, don't get too fatalistic. SCII is still fun, and the pro scene, limited as it will be, is still going to be producing hugely entertaining matches for a long time. The pillars of the community that we all enjoy aren't going anywhere, and nor will they for some time as well. Day9 isn't suddenly going to switch to LoL daily analysis (because let's face it he'd struggle with material even more).

Zen

Banned

Huh I haven't gotten through all of it but I intend to. Does anyone have a link to what marked essentially his departure from the SCII community? I' ta;lking about the epic argument on, I think Inside the Game, with himseld, InControl, DJWheat, and Idra, where basically he was constantly and angrily being shouted down by a bunch of people who were too inside baseball to listen to an opinion outside their own echo-chamber.

I've never seen a group of people be so mad at someone for dropping truth bombs.

Deadman

My own theory on sc2's decline is that they failed to make team games fun because of bad maps and no variation in game modes. I dont think its a coincidence basically every popular multiplayer game today is a team game, across all genres. Dota, lol, halo, cod, counterstrike, fifa, the list goes on.

Aaron

It's also not free to play, and the skills needed to play at the pro level are higher for SC2 than anything else.

Wunder

daed geam

Is there even a point for a thread? I wanted to combine the GSTL and Proleague threads but now it feels like a thread for this season of GSTL would be unjustified.

Welcome to the Dark Ages of StarCraft.

Proleague gonna be some weird LoL/SC2 hybrid, or maybe pure LoL

SamuraiX-

Bomber just recreated his game against Goswser from the MLG Winter Championship on his stream right now...

Defensive nuke at his base. Saw the Protoss army maneuvering around it. Pursued the army. Tried to juke and get in a volley with his Vikings on the 6-8 Colossi... ran his 15 Vikings away right into the epicenter of the nuke as it was coming down.

Bomber: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Bomber: asjdhaslkj
Bomber: dajhsldiauwlfkh
Bomber: ba;fhjlao
Bomber: GG

Edit: Now he's playing the same Protoss player in the next game. Bomber immediately starts BM'ing Ghosts, Nukes and the Protoss race in substitute of a "gl hf." lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Bomber just recreated his game against Goswser from the MLG Winter Championship on his stream right now...

Defensive nuke at his base. Saw the Protoss army maneuvering around it. Pursued the army. Tried to juke and get in a volley with his Vikings on the 6-8 Colossi... ran his 15 Vikings away right into the epicenter of the nuke as it was coming down.

Bomber: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Bomber: asjdhaslkj
Bomber: dajhsldiauwlfkh
Bomber: ba;fhjlao
Bomber: GG

Edit: Now he's playing the same Protoss player in the next game. Bomber immediately starts BM'ing Ghosts, Nukes and the Protoss race in substitute of a "gl hf." lol

i feel bad for bomber cause he's clearly a dude but has always had this stone cold killer thing about him. the problem is most koreans are medicated emotionless zombies, so it doesn't really work.

SamuraiX-

i feel bad for bomber cause he's clearly a dude but has always had this stone cold killer thing about him. the problem is most koreans are medicated emotionless zombies, so it doesn't really work.

If you watch him behind the scenes he's one of the chillest Korean progamers. He had some fun shenanigans when he hung out with Khaldor at the WCG Korea qualifiers earlier this summer.

I personally love the stone-cold killer persona he gives off when he's playing in official matches. The guy's a 25 year old veteran of the game and the captain of StarTale so it's nice to see him acting the role. :)

Zen

Banned
It's also not free to play, and the skills needed to play at the pro level are higher for SC2 than anything else.

My own theory on sc2's decline is that they failed to make team games fun because of bad maps and no variation in game modes. I dont think its a coincidence basically every popular multiplayer game today is a team game, across all genres. Dota, lol, halo, cod, counterstrike, fifa, the list goes on.

Killing the use map settings scene didn't really help matters (they're clueless as to how/why they really harmed it, which is really funny). But I feel like, in addition to what you guys said, they did invest enough into also making the SCII MP experience flat out fun and gamey and it comes down to modes.

A lot of people in the community would have jumped at the chance to have some custom game modes on a match making rotation every month. Imagine if they had a special 'for fun' ladder where they changed around units, gave them crazy abilities and replaced units in the stock MP with units from the Campaign. Every month they could announce new game modes and gimmicks for people to mess around with and just have a fresh experience.

Bad maps are also a big part of it. Their maps have largely been underwhelming since release, and their refusal to constantly be putting out new maps, that actually alter the meta game at all, has been a big problem.

Though I would say that this newest round are the best ever, it's no surprise that they maps were all made by people other than Blizzard.

Aylinato

Need to change them from increased damage vs massive to vs armored instead.

yea, whenever I face protoss AIR I just die as zerg(team games)

strangely enough whenever I'm protoss I don't really use air, except I've been sick of collos being stupid and have appreciate my old darling voids.

::EDIT::

When the hell did DTs become so freaking easy to get?? 150/150? lol r u serious blizzard? hahaha

SamuraiX-

MVP, Prime, LG-IM Coaches Speak Out (ThisIsGame)

TeamLiquid said:
Team MVP, Prime, and LG-IM announced their departure from the eSF, and declined to participate in the next GSTL. ThisIsGame was able to interview the head coaches of each team briefly.

Why did you leave the eSF?

Kang Dong Hoon (IM): It was a choice that helps the team move in a helpful direction, and one that lets us look for progress. In order to leave possibilities as open as possible, we left the eSF.

Park Wae Shik (Prime): Running the team up to now, it was a time where we needed to make a change. I want to focus on solving the team's finances and running the team. It's true we received help from the Federation in many ways, but just looking at the current situation it was time to leave and look for new solutions.

Choi Yoon Sang (MVP): The MVP team motto is "Create a team that gamers want to come to," but I think we just lapsed into mannerisms at a certain point. Instead of staying complacent in the present, we decided to make the decision that would allow us to make the changes needed for progress.

How did the team's financial difficulties factor in?

Park: As it is well known, eSF teams cannot give salaries to players and are in difficult situations financially, unlike the KeSPA teams. Our team, too, was difficultly run up to this point, and sponsorships are the most urgent issue. If KeSPA can help us in this regard, then we could think positively about joining KeSPA.

Does this mean you are joining KeSPA?

Kang: We did not leave eSF in order to join KeSPA. We did receive help from KeSPA regarding the LG case, but that's a different issue from joining KeSPA. I don't know how things will unfold in the future, but we are discussing many things positively with KeSPA at the moment. I plan to leave open all possibilities that could be helpful to the team.

Choi: I don't know what choices will be made in the future, but it will be in the direction that helps the entire MVP team.

It would have been possible to play in the GSTL without being a part of the eSF like in the case of Axiom-Acer. Why have you decided not to participate?

Park: As I mentioned before, it's a time where we need a change, and we decided it would be difficult to participate in the GSTL right now. Revamping the team is the first priority, and we decided it would be the right decision to participate in leagues after we find stability.

Choi: As mentioned before, it's so we can have a time for change. There is no other reason.

There is word of a LoL Proleague in the future. Did that affect your decision?

Kang: No, it's a separate issue. I have no idea when, or in what format the LoL Proleague will open. LoL is popular and is receiving a lot of attention, but this is still a decision for the entire team, including our SC2 players.

Choi: Not at all. I have heard of it through rumors, but I don't know when or how a LoL Proleague would be run.

Prime is looking for LoL players right now. What's the reason for expanding game disciplines at this point?

Park: We were already planning the recently announced LoL recruitment since 3 months ago. LoL has taken its place as the most popular esport in Korea and overseas, and we decided that for a team that seeks to be a top esports team in the world, we must have a LoL squad.

There are rumors that MVP is going to be acquired by Samsung. Is it true? Also, could you talk about the rumors that the SC2 team is being disbanded?

Choi: I can't say specifically, but there are parties we are negotiating with regarding the LoL team. When things are determined, we will announce it. There's no truth to the SC2 team disbanding. We took first place in the regular season of the previous GSTL season, second place in the final rankings, and Duckdeok won the championship at WCS Europe Season 2. Seven of our players (5 in Korea, 2 in Europe) are in the Premier League. I don't know how such a rumor gets out in such a great situation. I would appreciate it if people didn't spread rumors without being absolutely sure.

Seems like they can't really say much at the moment, but at least we can put that ridiculous rumor of MVP disbanding to rest.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
GSTL Maps
http://www.gomtv.net/forum/view.gom?topicid=302140&cid=0&kind=8

Fruitland TL
107223.jpg

Description:
- The map is decorated with delicious fruits. That’s all you need to know! Just kidding.
- Lemons near the center of the map act as destructive rocks and when destroyed, harvesters can collect
the lemon slices for 500 minerals each. These lemons will re-spawn in 5 minutes.
- The battles will be chaotic and the players will try to collect their lemon slices and deny their opponents.
Note that, in the future, lemon slices are worth 500 minerals.

wat

SamuraiX-

Hell yeah!

Bringing back the best map from the Ritmix RSL V. TOO LEGIT

Also, Bomber went from being placed into Top 80 Korean Master League to #1 Rank in Korean Master League in about 5 hours.

awww yeeeeaaaaahhh

Aylinato

GSTL Maps

Fruitland TL
107223.jpg

Description:
- The map is decorated with delicious fruits. That’s all you need to know! Just kidding.
- Lemons near the center of the map act as destructive rocks and when destroyed, harvesters can collect
the lemon slices for 500 minerals each. These lemons will re-spawn in 5 minutes.
- The battles will be chaotic and the players will try to collect their lemon slices and deny their opponents.

wat

what indeed.

Mairu

GSTL Maps

Fruitland TL
107223.jpg

Description:

wat
da fuck

(._.)

Banned
could you guys link me some builds and strats etc if I was interested in starting to play this game again? I'm thinking like Terran or Protoss maybe?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Waking up with cramps in both my hands...

Fuck this game.

Yoshichan

fanboiiiii!
Sorry to say this man, but only YOU are responsible. Start treating your body (and especially your hands) properly.
The fuck do you know about treating my hands? I exercise three times a week just to be able to play for longer sessions... Plz Arnold.

V_Arnold

fanboiiiii!

The fuck do you know about treating my hands? I exercise three times a week just to be able to play for longer sessions... Plz Arnold.

That does not mean shit. You need breaks between longer sessions and even smaller breaks between games once your wrists are suspectible to long-term stress. If you exercise with heavy weights on top of that, that is even worse :p

Yoshichan

That does not mean shit. You need breaks between longer sessions and even smaller breaks between games once your wrists are suspectible to long-term stress. If you exercise with heavy weights on top of that, that is even worse :p
I'm not exercising with heavy weights... Like I said, Arnold plz. I know what I'm doing and I've noticed major improvements since I started.

Yoshichan

I edited my post! But yeah, only logical explanation. If the toss race wasn't so op, I wouldn't have used my wrists as much :p

could you guys link me some builds and strats etc if I was interested in starting to play this game again? I'm thinking like Terran or Protoss maybe?

If you're not being emo anymore about sc2 I could let you sit in on some of my clan practices. Tues & Thurs 8:30pm est.

Add me on skype.

Top Bottom