• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

The best counter to Widow Mines is BroodLords or Swarm Hosts as they can trigger the mine for free. Sadly most Zergs need to go Muta to survive and that leads to defeat.

Building Swarm Hosts is basically useless because of scans and Broodlords are so easily countered by Vikings that unless Terran has no idea they're coming then they're nearly useless too.

SamuraiX-

From 3 qualifiers (China, Korea & Taiwan, South East Asia), 8 players will compete for 2 spots to qualify directly into the IEM New York group stage.

VCeipB1.png

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/esltv_sc2 / http://www.twitch.tv/duckvillelol / http://www.twitch.tv/gisadox

Zen

Banned

I JUST POSTED THAT! XD

Yes, yes he did.

Building Swarm Hosts is basically useless because of scans and Broodlords are so easily countered by Vikings that unless Terran has no idea they're coming then they're nearly useless too.

What about sending speed-lords around to soak widow mines before an engagement? One Overlord can soak 2 widow mines and running them in with your amy can sometimes them result in them triggering a farther back mine that will explode on the terran army instead.

I understand that widow mines use a spell but I do wonder why blinding cloud doesn't affect them.

EDIT: innovation might lose game 2....

EDIT He would have won this had he reacted to widow mines slightly better and just kept ping ponging between the middle base and the 5th which was on the upper left side. Innovations army couldn't move between both locations quickly enough and the Zerg was murdering SCVs, yet he decided to try to push in on the middle base after only one round.

The Zerg also had a problem with setting up geysers and not putting guys in gas.

Marines are usually ahead of the mines and then back up when zergling/banelings come so sending in Overlords before then is useless, and Innovation just proved my point. His whole army was completely surrounded by ling/baneling/muta and Widow Mines destroyed half of Pertaeus's army before marines even started attacking.

Zen

Banned
Overlords can null the mines that are behind the bio if you hit with the Z army adn mines at roughly the same time though, and the mines will sometimes hit almost purely the bio because of it. Not easy of course but I've gotten decimated by it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just managed to lock myself in at work, one floor under, where nobody ever comes by

UEd7TzM.jpg

And I have no fucking idea how I'm supposed to get out... Key doesn't unlock this piece of shit.

God, how do I always manage getting into situations like this

Boken

Banned
I just managed to lock myself in at work, one floor under, where nobody ever comes by

UEd7TzM.jpg

And I have no fucking idea how I'm supposed to get out... Key doesn't unlock this piece of shit.

God, how do I always manage getting into situations like this
You lead an interesting life for sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No, no ones telephone number... The two new guys I work started last week, so haven't gotten their numbers yet... What the fuck is wrong with this fucking key? It locked me but can't unlock!!?!??!

Yoshichan

Pic of the key that I oh-so-want to throw out of the window right now... Any key experts in here :/?

EDevSZ3.jpg

Opening the window to try some ninja type shit... Uh, no. That's at least 10 meters down, I'll break more bones in my body than zerglings killed my a widow mine...

jOKKlcf.jpg

Zen

Banned
How stable is the door can you just body it and claim innocence XD
What about the number for building security can you look that up?

Yoshichan

How stable is the door can you just body it and claim innocence XD
What about the number for building security can you look that up?
Door is firm as shit, tried every possible thing against it and it doesn't budge... I'm trying everything possible here...

Zen

Banned
What's the location of your building etc? Where's your tech support customer hotline located? At worst you can call them and they should have the number for your department head? Is your office open concept or uses call forwarding when everyone is logged in?

Yoshichan

What's the location of your building etc? Where's your tech support customer hotline located? At worst you can call them and they should have the number for your department head? Is your office open concept or uses call forwarding when everyone is logged in?
Calling a friend first because shit, how dumb it might sound, the last thing I want people to know is that I'm stuck in this frikkin' room (which I'm not supposed to enter)... It's a complete disaster.

Edit: worst case scenario, I'll probably kick the wall in. I did some Solid Snake moves and knocked on the walls until I heard the weak spot of it... I should be able to break the wall if I kick hard enough... But again, worst case scenario ._.

Aaron

Innovation on verge of losing to zerg -> widow mines -> "Innovation is somehow in the lead."

Curious still ended up winning. Obviously not enough widow mines.

Yoshichan

zargle

Question for terrans: What is the point of proxying reapers? Or building reapers at all. I understand for scouting purposes, but it just seems like they don't do any damage or change things beyond maybe forcing army units earlier?

How did you get out? Heck, how did you get locked in, did the door automatically lock when closed? Also, was that a skeleton key and lock? A house I lived in a few years back had one of those and it was awful to try and unlock.

Yoshichan

I was curious when I went into this desolated floor in the building! I saw the key and decided to lock the door... Bad idea :lol

I think the reason why it wouldn't budge was because no one had used the door for probably a couple of years (old, abandoned crap). So I tried turning the key for hours (taking breaks every 4-5 tries because my hands hurt after awhile). Eventually it opened up! :D

I was trying some MacGyver shit at first though! Took the key and tried sharpening it (...), I also considered climbing down the windows :lol... Jesus Christ!

I was curious when I went into this desolated floor in the building! I saw the key and decided to lock the door... Bad idea :lol

I think the reason why it wouldn't budge was because no one had used the door for probably a couple of years (old, abandoned crap). So I tried turning the key for hours (taking breaks every 4-5 tries because my hands hurt after awhile). Eventually it opened up! :D

I was trying some MacGyver shit at first though! Took the key and tried sharpening it (...), I also considered climbing down the windows :lol... Jesus Christ!

They should make a show out of you. You get into so many crazy situations.

profit

They should make a show out of you. You get into so many crazy situations.

That Yoshichan's show
The big Yoshishan theory
Breaking Yoshishan
The walking Yoshichan's
Pretty little Yoshichan
The Yoshichan diaries
How I met your Yoshichan
One tree Yoshichan
The Yoshichan crowd
Two and a half Yoshichan's

I can keep going

Zen

Banned
I can't decide is Yoshi is the Costansa orKramer of SC2 Gaf. :3

Marines are usually ahead of the mines and then back up when zergling/banelings come so sending in Overlords before then is useless, and Innovation just proved my point. His whole army was completely surrounded by ling/baneling/muta and Widow Mines destroyed half of Pertaeus's army before marines even started attacking.

Curious doing what I was talking about in this game mostly at his third etc. It's great for soaking widow mine hits before, during and after engagements.

http://www.twitch.tv/esltv_sc2/b/464368013?t=2h34m

Also everyone should watch this series between innovation and curious. people are saying it's the series of the year.

Yoshichan

Hahaha you guys

Profits post made me cry of laughter

Edit: you know who I miss from the old team? Hazaro... Last time I heard him say something was "sc2 is bad."

:(

SamuraiX-

Question for terrans: What is the point of proxying reapers? Or building reapers at all. I understand for scouting purposes, but it just seems like they don't do any damage or change things beyond maybe forcing army units earlier?

As long as you don't let your macro slip and can get a few worker kills, it's worth it. It also might throw the opponent off since they can't freely do what they want.

For proxying, the best strategy I've noticed is building a proxy Barracks near the opponent base and then another in your main. This can really punish greedy opponents who try to get as few units out as possible.

BIPUoB9.png

I love this bastard. lol

Deadman

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/10038734466#1

Changes they are considering for after blizzcon

Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined

We've been looking at this for a long time now, and it feels like a solid step in the right direction.

Widow mine splash radius decreased from 1.75 to 1.1

We'd like to push out the Widow Mine a little bit and bump up the Siege Tank so that bio play becomes more interesting. Ultimately, we believe a mix of Widow Mines and Siege Tanks with your bio army will be a lot more fun to watch than just Widow Mines with bio alone.

Siege tank attack period decreased from 3 to 2.7

Bio play may be more interesting with the Widow Mine change and this buff. Not only that, we believe Terran mech armies can be a lot more viable because faster attack speed naturally means Siege Tanks will be better against their hard counters.

Oracle cost decreased from 150/150 to 150/100

Protoss feels like it has been playing too defensively (outside of Warp Prism harasses). We’re seeing Oracles only being used in the early game, and not much during any other stage of the game. We hope by reducing the gas cost of the Oracle, they’ll be used more throughout the game.

Dark Templar movement speed increased from 2.813 to 3.375

We believe that Dark Templars could be more interesting to watch if it's not just a matter of the opponent being prepared or not. Even when their opponents are prepared, we believe by increasing Dark Templar’s movement speed, there could be more interesting interactions, such as dodging out of detection range more often

Roach speed upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25

We just don’t see Tunneling Claws coming into play much. There’s some really cool micro potential with burrow-moving Roaches, and we'd like to see how this goes in a test map.

Aylinato

LMAO @ Protoss Buffs
Like, wtf.

Also buffing tanks?

No thanks, I already know how much I win with tanks/thors/hell bats without the widow mines. Blizzard doesn't want me to lose ever again

Buffing oracles? Why?

Burrowed roaches are faster, ok? How bout fixing swarm hosts(kinda expensive and not as useful.)

Zen

Banned
WHY ARE THE PROTOSS BUFFS ALWAYS CENTERED AROUND MAKING THEIR CHEESES STRONGER

ADJHFGHJAFHGFHJAHAF

That change to widow mines would force Ts to change how they play TvZ. I don't know I feel like we're really starting to see Zergs skill hit some next level shit to deal with it and that's fun as a player and a spectator... shades of Brood War nerd chills see the muta management... but a reduction to 1.1 seems like a LOT.

(._.)

Banned
I haven't been watching SCII? Is it still mostly just boring macro games where the pros sit at their base for 15 minutes playing by themselves and then a dumb giant battle decides the game in the blink of an eye at 18 minutes? Either that or cheese/all-in that decides the game at 7-10 minutes with a small battle?

SamuraiX-

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/10038734466#1

Changes they are considering for after blizzcon

Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined

We've been looking at this for a long time now, and it feels like a solid step in the right direction.

fuckin' LOL

I do really love the idea of decreasing the splash radius on Widow Mine hits though. I think that'll have a way bigger impact than people realize right now. I think Blizzard also really need to consider making the splash damage of WM hits have a dissipating effect where units within the radius of detonation take less damage the further away they are from the origin of detonation.

This may already be the case, but I don't think so...

Edit: Here's what I mean:
WgAus02.png

Not at all to scale but I think it illustrates my point. Currently Widow Mines do 40 splash damage across the entire 1.75 distance from the origin to the perimeter of detonation and that's why we're seeing 20 Zerglings disappear from a single Widow Mine shot. I don't know if implementing something like this is possible but I'm sure it would do wonders in terms of balance for the TvZ matchup.

Boken

Banned
Roach speed upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25

yep. thats the buff zerg need

rip in peace, sc2, cant even balance 3 races when dota balances 100 heroes.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
This time last year those winrates were reversed and terrans were crying like blizzard had amputated an arm.

now that its solidly back in terran favour, 5% is no longer a big deal.

Wunder

This time last year those winrates were reversed and terrans were crying like blizzard had amputated an arm.

now that its solidly back in terran favour, 5% is no longer a big deal.

because terran takes skill and its cool to see drops and micro compared to a 1a-ing zerg deathfuckball that just destroys everything in it's path or a protoss superarmy that can literally conquer planets.

But ya I guess Terran is super whiny

Zen

Banned

now that its solidly back in Terran favour, 5% is no longer a big deal.

Well top end Zergs are getting better and better at countering it, and it's resulting in more entertaining games if only because of the sheer skill involved in doing so is so fun to spectate. I don't besmirch Blizzard for a balance check (because frankly I do feel that late game is T favored atm) I only ever question such a drastic reduction from 1.7 to 1.1. In fact you'll note a distinct lack of Terran qq over the idea of proposed lategame Z buffs, except in the detail of how the widow mine Nerf may be a little extreme. Unlike Zs who have been the entitled whiny drama queens of SCII since inception. T only started that with toss about 3/4 through WoL.

So nope. I do think the 5% is a big deal depending on what it means in actuality for the games being played, I'm just not sure if the problem isn't solving itself over time through improved Z play that is awesome to watch. But that doesn't mean that a general late game Z buff isn't needed all the same.

Zs get the most buffs out of these proposed changes short of Toss and still find a way to play the victim card, and construct strawmen to side step acknowledging said buffs.

Why is no one surprised? lulz. ;P

(._.)

Banned
Panda always appears to qq

it's true though. even people who weren't even affected by balance (bronze until top 8 masters) were complaining. dominated for like two years and then we entered the whiny terran era till HotS. I have no clue where we stand now. I see equal whining on all three sides. Heard the widow OP complaining since launch though.

Every single time blizzard makes changes you just have to wonder what the fuck they were thinking. That oracle change and the logic behind it just baffles the mind. Just like so many other changes it seems as though everyone but blizzard knows exactly why it will fail and what problems it will cause. This won't make oracles used as a late game unit, it will simply make it better as an early game cheese.

Still annoyed that mines are getting nerfed. This is the sort of bullshit we saw in WoL that helped stagnate the game by the end of its life. TvZ isn't in THAT bad of a place. If terrans have the slight edge then give them a buff of some sort, don't ruin mines. The logic of wanting tanks to be used doesn't make sense to me either. The reason people don't build tanks isn't because mines are powerful, it's because tanks are garbage and have long been in need of a buff. If you want people to use the tank give them incentive to and not in the form of nerfing other units

Siege tank buff, glad it's finally happening. Not sure that's how i wanted it to happen but it's a good start. The upgrade thing helps as well but i'm not a fan of these type of changes that blizzard makes (where you just change the cost of a unit or upgrade and be done with it). If it makes mech viable than i guess it's worth it.

Roach burrow speed is cool and may see the skill actually get used. I actually like this change even if it's only an extremely minor one.

DT speed, well i just don't know about that. Of all the changes they could make to protoss that feels like a strange one. DT's receiving yet another buff just doesn't seem necessary.

Edit: I am glad that they are trying things out and i do think there are some positive changes here. Hopefully things work out well and we see blizzard looking into how to improve the game more often.

T only started that with toss about 3/4 through WoL.

Terran had been pretty dominant before that so there wasn't all that much to complain about :p.

Amazed Blizz still doesn't realize mech would be more viable if they nerfed Immortals instead. A 1-2 damage increase to Hellions against everything would help too.

Top Bottom