• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Boken

Banned
I do mind. We already had a tournament that had the best players in the world, it was called GSL and we didn't have to wait all year to see it. If anything the world championship finals is just a lower quality version of the GSL, it's all Koreans just with lots of weaker ones who get through the weaker foreign WCS's.

The first WCS was SO much more interesting because of how it showcased each region (even if the lack of terrans ended up hurting the tournament).

It sucks because WCS clogs up the whole scene and starves out the other tournaments where we actually get to see some foreigners play.

The amazing part is that despite all this Korean domination WCS has been the worst thing to happen to the Korean scene in a long time. Less prize money and less tournament opportunities to play in which sucks for players and sponsors. This whole GSL and OSL sharing a tournament is just such absolute stupidity and i'm surprised both of them haven't pulled out of SC2 all together.
I feel like blizzard are trying to do what Riot has done to their game but with weird twists that end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Riot had the good sense to allow most of the scenes to run themselves , and being open to kespas involvement. I'm not sure why they created an LCS in eu as the scene over there was flourishing with tournaments, but NA really needed help from Riot, and so there was an NA LCS.

There's no weird situation where people can qualify while in Korea and be able to play in the playoffs in NA. There's the first all Korean team in NA though, so we will see what happens next.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Profit made me start using Vipers... fuck, they're so, SO good. I just wish I didn't need 20 evolution chambers for them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SC2 in 7-8 hours, anyone?

Yoshichan

WAIT I JUST SAW A MOTHERSHIP ON LADDER

HAXX??????

Yoshichan

For fucks sake, I have no money - yet I keep buying these everytime I find one...

j0jXKoE.jpg

Would love to, but me and my girlfriend are going out to dinner for our 3 year anniversary :).
That's CRAZY awesome man! GL HF! Have a great time profit! :D

Yoshichan

I'm in SC2 right now, anyone wanna play?

SamuraiX-

soO and Dear throw down the verbal gauntlet before Code S Finals

TeamLiquid said:
(Z)SKT_soO

Q:There's not much time until the finals. How are preparations going?
soO: They're going very well.

What did you think of Dear normally?
soO: I never thought that he was particularly good; I didn't even pay any attention to him.

Did you expect to face him in the final?
soO: I had no idea. I didn't even realize he had made it to the semis.

Dear says he's going to win the championship. Your thoughts on this?
soO: I don't know why he says he's sorry [that he's going to beat me]. I'm thankful just for the fact that he's my finals opponent.

(To coach iloveoov) You have a finalist not long after you were appointed as the acting Head Coach.
iloveoov: I'm happy that soO reached the final, but I'm a little disappointed we couldn't have a final between SKT players. soO was very stressed preparing for his team-kill match against PartinG in the semis, and I was very surprised when he won. Right now, I think he's absorbed Soulkey's momentum. The SKT coaching staff is full of confidence.

How do you rate Dear's style?
soO: I watched all of his games, but he only beat players with so-so styles as he came up. I think I'll win without trouble. The more I watch his games, the more confident I get (laughs).

You were always getting eliminated in the Ro16 before. You think getting cosmetic eyelid surgery changed your destiny?
soO: Given the timing, I guess you could think so. I thought that it might be true myself (laughs). I changed my mindset this season and shook off my Ro16 trauma. Before, when I reached the Ro16 I became too complacent. This season, I thought that it would be hard to get any more opportunities like this and I worked very hard.

(To iloveoov) You have a piece of paper in your hand. What's on it?
iloveoov: It's my first media day, so I prepared some answers to questions I predicted. I forgot to put the piece of paper down beforehand, but I guess it's not bad to be seen this way? (laughs)

How's it different reaching the finals now, compared to when you were a player?
iloveoov: As a player, coach, and head coach it all feels different. I think the pressure the smallest as a player. When I was a player, all I would think about is how to beat my opponent and what ceremonies to prepare. When I was a coach, I wondered about what the player might be thinking, how could I make him win, and how could I help him stay in good mental condition etc. Right now I feel all of these things have combined together. However, I'm confident, and will make my first finalist into a champion.

No SKT Zerg has reached a final up to now.
soO: When I was a practice partner, I was mockingly called a "T1 Zerg." We took a lot of criticism back then, and that helped me a lot. Looking at the older Zerg players struggling, it gave me motivation to help my team. They were all good players, but they just didn't get looked upon fondly from the outside.

Back in the day, there was a bit of a distance between the practice facilities and the team house. I don't know about the other players, but the Zergs had to walk. I remember power walking alongside Coach Park. I get treated a bit better now (laughs).

iloveoov: I think it's a difference in viewpoint – Coach Park just wanted them to do better. I think those 'dark ages' are just relative. Confidence is a huge part of playing the game, and there was a time when our Zergs had a lot of trouble. soO has come out of that swamp, and he'll be able to lay the first stone toward redeeming the T1 Zerg name.

Does soO get nervous easily?
iloveoov: You can tell who gets nervous from their unit movements. soO doesn't get nervous at all.

What score do you predict?
soO: When I learned that Dear was my opponent, I predicted a 4 – 0. However, I'm not entirely happy with the map order. Because of the map order, I think I might give up a map. About 4 – 1. I think the first map is the most important. It's cute that Dear is predicting a 4 – 1 or 4 – 2 in his favor (laughs).

What kind of ceremonies do you have prepared?
soO: Pay close attention to the minimap during the games. You never know what I might write.

And if you win the championship?
It was my dream since I was young. I've always thought that kissing the trophy was really cool. If I could see a picture of myself kissing the trophy, then I'd be proud.

(to iloveoov) What score do you predict?
iloveoov: As the players mentioned, I feel the first map is the most important. Depending on how that goes, the result will swing greatly. If soO wins the first map he will win 4 – 0, if he loses it the I think he will win 4 – 2.

Any final comments?
soO: I'm sorry to the fans that my opponent is kind of weak. People who want to see Dear crying should come watch live. I'll show you his tears of defeat. I will do my best to win the championship.

(P)Soul_Dear

Q: What do you think of soO?
Dear: soO compliments me a lot on battle.net, so it's unfortunate [that he's now saying I'm an easy opponent].

Do you have anything to say to him?
Dear: Sorry soO hyung, I'm going to have to win this one.

You seem hungry for the title.
Dear: It's my first finals and I'm a potential royal roader, so I want it that much more.

In soO's case, it's taken him 1,843 days to reach a final.
Dear: I've been a pro-gamer since 2009, so it's not like it's taken me a short while to get here either.

(Question to coach) Did you expect Dear to reach the finals?
Head coach Choi Won Seok: I didn't expect it at all. There were some unfortunate happenings with the team, and our players must have felt things were chaotic as they adjusted to the new environment. I'm glad they've done well in this situation. Looking at soO's games, I think it will be difficult for him to beat Dear because of the difference in their styles. I'll be able to watch this this finals comfortably.

Have you broken down soO's style?
Dear: SoO is good in the early and mid game, but there's not much to him in the late game. If I can get past the early-mid game well, I think I can win easily.

How's life at Soul?
Dear: I'm comfortable with the team, just as it was with STX.

Who do you get along with best on the team?
Dear: I get along best with (Z)YoungJoo.

What do you think of your style?
Dear: I think I'm a solid player, and I'm sad that other people don't seem to think that way.

Soul's Protoss players are doing well.
Dear: These days, I'm thinking about the game in a calm way. I think that's my greatest weapon. Because I think that it's okay to lose every game even after trying my best, I think my games are going well.

Do people treat you different now that you've reached the finals?
Dear: I think they treat me the same.
Head coach Choi: When Dear had his semi-final match, he washed the dishes for lunch before heading to the studio.

What kind of score do you predict. What is the most important map?
Dear: I think the maps are good for me, so I predict 4 – 1 or 4 – 2. The first set is important. If I win the first set, then I think even a 4 – 0 is possible.

Do you have any ceremonies planned?
Dear: I will perform manner Nexuses. If I'm sure that I'm going to win, then you'll see me build a lot of them.
[note: Another source (Inven has transcribed this as being "I will NOT perform manner nexuses anymore" after his humiliating loss to symbol in the GSTL. It seems that's probably what he said?]

And if you win the championship?
Dear: I would want to cry, but I think I'll win so easily that I just won't be able to.

(To Coach Choi) What kind of advise do you want to give Dear, and what is your prediction?
Head coach Choi: Because there are a lot of good maps early, I am predicting a 4 – 0. It would be worrisome if it went until the final map. Protoss suffers a lot of reverse-sweeps, so I hope he can win cleanly in a 4 – 1.

Your final words heading into the final?
Dear: I'm the final Protoss left this season, so I hope a lot of fans come to the final. soO said that he escaped from the swamp, but I'm going to push him back in. I'll make him continue the "SKT Zerg" line.

The fact that they think so highly of themselves, sarcasm or not, and actually don't consider themselves making the finals to be a massive fluke makes me wish they both could lose. -____-

Jesus, especially soO. I take that back. I hope Dear 4-0's that poser in the most humiliating way imaginable. Manner Nexuses in every game please.

I really don't get these complaints. Dear and soo have had to beat some ridiculous players to get where they are. They're both deserving of their spot. Players who weren't rated at all going on a great run and making the finals isn't a negative for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really do need to reminder to buy a hotel room for blizzcon lol. Get my disneyland on boom
I'll have my car so you could room with me for cheap. I still need to book.

*Room is booked w/ 2 Queens and roll-aways as an option. Anyone can PM if you want in (0.5mi from CC).

Yoshichan

Anyone wanna play in like 6-7 hours? Profit, how'd your anniversary go :D?

Yoshichan

Good man, thanks. She had a pretty big headache the entire evening though, had a really stressfull day at school.

I might be able to play tonight, but around 9 PM.
Aight man, sucks about the headache - but I'm sure you two had fun anyway!

We on the same time zone? GMT+1?

Yoshichan

Sorry yoshi i've been on a ton the last week but SEA timezones don't match up too well with yours.
's all cool man, maybe some day we'll play together :D

Yoshichan

Look forward to having my ass handed to me lol. Time for bed, got up 49-3 so far this season but still only up to gold, this is taking longer than i thought.
Wait, 49-3 as in 49 wins with 3 losses? Yeeeaaah, no "ass handling" would be happening if you'd play me :p. My ass being wooped, perhaps! :D

Repo Man

Oh dear god the amount of pounding I'm taking up the ass in this game once more is making me want to fist fuck my monitor.

So yeah, I've never made it out of bronze so I'm not exactly a good player or anything nor am I a hardcore player but I decided to start playing a bit again after a long break and everything I learned since I first started playing SC2 Online at the end of WoL seems to be totally useless. I keep getting matched against people who are WAY above and beyond my skill level so it seems if anything the learning curve for this game has gone up even more since my last newbie days.

This shit is gonna make me fat(ter) and turn me into an alcoholic. Fuck! Oh well, heading back in for more. God I wish I didn't have such a masochistic personality.

Yoshichan

Hey, I like your style :D

edit: Logging on right now if anyone wants to play!

Yoshichan

Are you mostly playing on EU Yoshi?

I honestly switch it up all the time, so I guess I split the region time 50-50 :)

Edit: Still playing btw, not for long though! Anyone can join :3

Yoshichan

Yoshi, what's your info man? I'm usually in class on weekdays but I'd be up for a game or two sometime.
Aight so I have no idea which accounts I am sharing with other GAFers but add the ones below - those are the ones I'm currently active with:

EU: Yoshichan #619
US: CorranFanboy #801

I just saw the Heroes of the Storm (HotS lol) announcement and I am fucking PUMPED!

kasane

Got placed to bronze, now im number 1 in silver in wol. Wut how does MMR work.

Edit: 4 games in silver won them all. Dat protoss tho annoying ;_;

Syf

Banned
Yeah I'm excited to see what Blizzard's take on a MOBA will be. Hopefully they do something to differentiate it from the standard LoL/Dota setup.

Wait, 49-3 as in 49 wins with 3 losses? Yeeeaaah, no "ass handling" would be happening if you'd play me :p. My ass being wooped, perhaps! :D

I hadn't played in so many months that they started me at the bottom of bronze and it seems now it takes a lot longer to rank up. 49-3 isn't very impressive when the highest player you've faced is plat. I don't feel like i'm in good enough shape to really be even close to masters players.

Yeah I'm excited to see what Blizzard's take on a MOBA will be. Hopefully they do something to differentiate it from the standard LoL/Dota setup.

It has to be different otherwise it will just get sunk under the weight of DOTA2 and LoL (it probably will anyway).

Zen

Banned
I think you're both right, but at the same time it still needs to be F2P and do something slightly different. We all saw how Diablo 3 fell off a cliff and now I'm sure more people are playing PoE.

Also

Fastest Inject method ever, discovered, and uber easy (0.7 seconds per hatchery, all with only holding down 2 buttons)
Part 1
http://youtu.be/pIbo94IWeu8

Part 2
http://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ

kasane

I think you're both right, but at the same time it still needs to be F2P and do something slightly different. We all saw how Diablo 3 fell off a cliff and now I'm sure more people are playing PoE.

Also

Fastest Inject method ever, discovered, and uber easy (0.7 seconds per hatchery, all with only holding down 2 buttons)
Part 1

Part 2

It doesn't work on my keyboard gonna try it with ps/2

Also

Part 1

Part 2

This is cool but there are others ways of doing it very quickly. The hard part is keeping your queens in the right spot and making sure they're always grouped (especially mid-late game when you start losing them).

My biggest problem is dealing with the later stages of the game where there are more hatches than queens.

SamuraiX-

The latest balance test map is now live!

Blizzard said:
We just published a new Balance Test Map to the StarCraft II Custom Games list entitled "Bel’Shir Vestige LE (2.0.11 Balance v1.1)". This time we've made a couple tweaks to the changes found on the previous iteration of the test map for the reasons mentioned in David Kim's recent forum post. Have a look at the changes below, then give them a whirl in-game!

Protoss
Oracle
  • Revelation casting range has returned to 9.
  • Units that burrow or cloak while under the effects of Revelation will once again be revealed after unburrowing or uncloaking.
Terran
Widow Mine
  • Sentinel Missiles splash damage radius has returned to 1.75.
  • Sentinel Missiles now deal reduced damage to units caught within its splash radius based on their distance from the target:
    - 40 damage within 1.25 radius
    - 20 damage from 1.25 to 1.5 radius
    - 10 damage from 1.5 to 1.75 radius​
We'd like to remind you that the changes listed above are not final. Once you've played a few games on the test map, please feel free to let us know what you think of the changes by leaving a comment in this thread.

Thank you very much!

If anyone happens upon any replays/VODs that showcase those new tweaks to the Widow Mine splash damage, please share. :)

Pretty lame if the tank isn't getting buffed. Mines should be left alone and tanks should be buffed. I wish they would actually focus on fixing some of the shitty units in the game instead of nerfing things like widow mines.

Blackage

So no more tank 2.7 firing speed?

From post 12 of that thread. :O

It's not completely clear from the OP, but the changes listed are in addition to the changes already made to the previous version of the test map. The full list of changes is:

Protoss
Oracle
Speed increased from 3.375 to 4.
Acceleration increased from 2 to 3.
Units that burrow or cloak while under the effects of Revelation will once again be revealed after unburrowing or uncloaking.

Terran
General
Terran Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined.
Siege Tank
Siege Tank attack period decreased from 3 to 2.7.
Widow Mine
Sentinel Missiles now deal reduced damage to units caught within its splash radius based on their distance from the target:
40 damage within 1.25 radius
20 damage from 1.25 to 1.5 radius
10 damage from 1.5 to 1.75 radius

Zerg
Roach
The Tunneling Claws upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25.

So no more tank 2.7 firing speed?

I seriously hope not! Actually makes the tanks useful, would be very sad if they didn't go through with it.

Heck I would take 2.8 seconds over 3.0 they currently have. Instead of just 3 shots in 10 seconds, we could get almost 4 shots but it would still be 11 seconds lol.

In 10 seconds a tank will fire 3 rounds and deal around 150 damage to armored units.

With the 2.7 upgrade tanks can fire one extra shot within 10 seconds.

The problem is that most tanks are dead after their first shot and are lucky to get a 2nd shot off.

Syf

Banned
From post 12 of that thread. :O

It's not completely clear from the OP, but the changes listed are in addition to the changes already made to the previous version of the test map. The full list of changes is:

Protoss
Oracle
Speed increased from 3.375 to 4.
Acceleration increased from 2 to 3.
Units that burrow or cloak while under the effects of Revelation will once again be revealed after unburrowing or uncloaking.

Terran
General
Terran Mech ground and air attack upgrades combined.
Siege Tank
Siege Tank attack period decreased from 3 to 2.7.
Widow Mine
Sentinel Missiles now deal reduced damage to units caught within its splash radius based on their distance from the target:
40 damage within 1.25 radius
20 damage from 1.25 to 1.5 radius
10 damage from 1.5 to 1.75 radius

Zerg
Roach
The Tunneling Claws upgrade also increases the burrowed roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.25.
Guess I should learn to read! Thanks. That's a relief.

Yoshichan

Is it live in EU as well? Can't wait to try this sucker out!

Also, first REALLY cold morning of the year... And snow, yay ._.!!

AaTkiJZ.jpg

Yoshichan

-25 celcius? What ._.?

Top Bottom