• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

phoenixyz

sophisticated_cat_starpktr.jpg

Hi StarcraftGAF. ^^ is essentially what happened to me.
So I bought it, played through the campaign and did some matches against AI (and 3 ladder placement matches I all lost...). Now I am not sure how to proceed, are there some generally recognized learning resources for noobs like me?

Zen

Banned
First question, what race are you playing and what region, so that we may best advise you!

Innovation is playing like shit in the late game. Who the hell makes more than 70 workers when going mech? Also sticking to vikings vs mutas. Innovation needs a lesson on meching. He did good in the first game but Soulkey was caught off guard. I don't think he is winning this map on Frost unless Soulkey makes mistakes.

Make 10 BCs and about 15 Ravens and you auto win most of the time minus money Fungals hitting.

So many delicious TvP cheeses from Terrans sick of Protoss. : D

Re versus mech Zergs really need to remember that mind control exists.

kasane

Currently Protoss. I kinda like their Macro CD and the Shield mechanic. But race is not exactly set in stone yet. My region is EU.

Fuck you for playing toss, its forbidden here.

Im kinda kidding yet im not :p

That said i think its gonna be easier if you post replays

SamuraiX-

Wake up to find that all the Terran hopes have fallen... but I would be perfectly ok with Soulkey making it!

Edit: And now I just saw that Rogue beat Soulkey 3-1... I like Rogue, man, I really do but FUCKING SERIOUSLY?!

This is gonna be the most boring high stakes tournament ever.

sophisticated_cat_starpktr.jpg

Hi StarcraftGAF. ^^ is essentially what happened to me.
So I bought it, played through the campaign and did some matches against AI (and 3 ladder placement matches I all lost...). Now I am not sure how to proceed, are there some generally recognized learning resources for noobs like me?

Here you go friend

Enjoy learning as much as you can. The best way to get better is to play as much as you can.

First question, what race are you playing and what region, so that we may best advise you!

So many delicious TvP cheeses from Terrans sick of Protoss. : D

Re versus mech Zergs really need to remember that mind control exists.

Neural Parasite is only really useful against Battlecruiser's unless Terran has awful control of their Ravens. Much easier to just grab Thor's with Viper's unless Terran has a ton of Vikings.

Zen

Banned
Neural Parasite is only really useful against Battlecruiser's unless Terran has awful control of their Ravens. Much easier to just grab Thor's with Viper's unless Terran has a ton of Vikings.

If you're doing a multi pronged push against the mech composition, a few Terran units turning heel in the middle of the engage, if only for a shot or two? can not be under estimated. I've resumed from replays with Z practice partners who lost, and shown them just how good the upgrade can be.

Especially if your opponent is basically transitioned to sky terran, mostly BC Raven. Hunter Seeker still has such a warmup period to it.

Soon.png

No sleep till Masters.

Currently Protoss. I kinda like their Macro CD and the Shield mechanic. But race is not exactly set in stone yet. My region is EU.

EZPZ scum! Seriously post a replay or something so we can start helping you improve. :p

danielcw

Yes because TvP is balanced Kappa

I have no idea, (what does Kappa mean?)
but race distribution and balance can be completely disjointed logically.

So I do not get why people act like an uneven race distribution is a proof of balance issues.
Maybe you can enlighten me?

zargle

I have no idea, (what does Kappa mean?)
but race distribution and balance can be completely disjointed logically.

So I do not get why people act like an uneven race distribution is a proof of balance issues.
Maybe you can enlighten me?

Their problem is not that people are choosing not to play as Terran, it is that terran's are not winning or able to qualify for tournaments, in no small part to TvP. For example, the tournament they are referring to that will not have a single terran is comprised of the winners and runners-up from the IEM tournaments that have been held recently. They have all been basically won by protoss players, with a couple zergs thrown in. This is on top of tournaments like Code S in Korea where 3 players out of the 32 that qualified were terran and the only ones that made it through code A were the ones that did not have to play a TvP to get out.

Kappa is a term mostly used by twitch commenters, basically to express sarcasm.

Phoenixyz: Play whatever race you want to play and that you like the best, dont let everyone here intimidate you. Play whatever makes the game fun for you and what will help you to keep playing. But I do encourage you to try them all and dont be afraid to switch from one to the other in the future.

danielcw

Their problem is not that people are choosing not to play as Terran, it is that terran's are not winning or able to qualify for tournaments, in no small part to TvP.

And what is the reason for that?

Do people want to shift the balance of the game, just so that there are more Terrans in tournaments?

SamuraiX-

SCCoJaK.jpg

And so the two invites are revealed. I think these guys were probably the best two choices based on StarCraft II in 2013... but sOs seems to have really fallen off and TaeJa did not at all look like himself at ASUS ROG this past week so hopefully that doesn't carry over for them.

dat lone terran hope ;_;

Do people want to shift the balance of the game, just so that there are more Terrans in tournaments?

Since the inception of Protoss in StarCraft II, they've been a fundamentally broken race. There's a never ending laundry list of everything wrong with Protoss but they've never been as imbalanced as they are now. With HotS came the Mothership Core and its abilities that make Protoss all-ins even stronger and allow them to play greedy without any worry of aggression or counterattacks from their opponent. This problem is especially apparent in the Terran vs Protoss matchup where Terrans have to play almost perfectly at the highest level to win against Protoss but the same absolutely cannot be said for the latter race.

The problem materializes in-game where Terran having very few options (and inefficient ones at that) in the matchup whereas with Protoss every unit, every tactic, every cheese, anything and everything is viable and incredibly effective almost regardless of skill and execution.

Dayshi is not long for this world:
dJDmcUv.png

survivor

Banned
I was really hoping for the IEM invites to go to 2 Terran players out of Innovation, MMA, Polt, Taeja, but I suppose they had to invite sOs since it makes sense.

SamuraiX-

I was really hoping for the IEM invites to go to 2 Terran players out of Innovation, MMA, Polt, Taeja, but I suppose they had to invite sOs since it makes sense.

No love for Bomber? ;_;

I'm almost sure another Terran or two will come out of the AM & EU qualifiers. Polt has already signed up for both qualifies and hopefully Bomber will eventually sign up for the AM qualifier as well as MMA, jjakji, and ForGG for the EU qualifier

There's four elite Terrans playing at IEM Cologne for the last two tournament-based slots, including INnoVation!

And now ESL revealed that the invites for the 16-player open bracket will be based on 2013 and 2014 WCS standings. Already have a few Terrans in the WCS Top 16 for 2014 and the final 2013 standings consisted of 8/16 Terrans!

#HOPE

No love for Bomber? ;_;

I'm almost sure another Terran or two will come out of the AM & EU qualifiers. Polt has already signed up for both qualifies and hopefully Bomber will eventually sign up for the AM qualifier as well as MMA, jjakji, and ForGG for the EU qualifier

There's four elite Terrans playing at IEM Cologne for the last two tournament-based slots, including INnoVation!

And now ESL revealed that the invites for the 16-player open bracket will be based on 2013 and 2014 WCS standings. Already have a few Terrans in the WCS Top 16 for 2014 and the final 2013 standings consisted of 8/16 Terrans!

#HOPE

Hell yeah Maru, Bomber and Innovation were 3 of the top Terrans so they will be in!

Redbull Bomber Streaming! :D

survivor

Banned
No love for Bomber? ;_;

#HOPE
Can't believe I forgot to include Bomber. I'm sure he will make it through one of the qualifiers, he doesn't need an invite.

Damn, he's been going for hours now. Hope he's prepping for the IEM Katowice AM Qualifier! :D

Yeah Maru should definitely be invited to the open bracket qualifier.

How come Bomber doesn't even get 2,000 viewers?! ;_;

Because everyone is watching the best Terran player Avilo
WN85AwB.png

SamuraiX-

Can't believe I forgot to include Bomber. I'm sure he will make it through one of the qualifiers, he doesn't need an invite.

I'm gonna be so disappointed if he doesn't sign up... only 19 hours left. :(

Because everyone is watching the best Terran player Avilo
WN85AwB.png

I can't even hate.

Bomber's stream is some next level meta shit right now. He just physically violated Apocalypse through the Internet.

I'm gonna be so disappointed if he doesn't sign up... only 19 hours left. :(

I can't even hate.

Bomber's stream is some next level meta shit right now. He just physically violated Apocalypse through the Internet.

LOL Bomber using Nukes was next level trolling. It wasn't even close.

SamuraiX-

LOL Bomber using Nukes was next level trolling. It wasn't even close.

Living up to his name. :p

Now he's been offracing Protoss. Doesn't scout, just A-moves Zealots while warping in and chronoing shit back at home. Doesn't even get storm.

He's winning everything right now.

EZ RACE

EZ GAME

EZ LYFE

Zen

Banned

So the races are balanced. Which they currently are not, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you arguing that there is not a racial imbalance?

Even blizzard of all people is rolling out PvT nerfs in response when they are historically slow to respond or admit to issues.

So the races are balanced. Which they currently are not, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you arguing that there is not a racial imbalance?

Even blizzard of all people is rolling out PvT nerfs in response when they are historically slow to respond or admit to issues.

:( Zen chill bro. Your post is coming across as rude. danielcw is a new member of the SC2 community. He is new to SC2 since he doesn't know the meta. We shouldn't make his experience here a negative one.

Excuse Zen please danialcw.

Being a Terran player right now is frustrating vs Protoss. If you need help we are here. Let us know when you are playing and one of us can get on SC2 to help you out or play team/arcade with you.

Zen

Banned
Didn't seem rude to me. What matters is if he takes it that way or not, if he did I apologize as that's not my intent, but I really don't think that's the case.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
This cup has been on my managers desk for like ever. She retired at the end of the year and it was still there so tonight I said fuck it and took it.

DVXOGA9l.jpg

Didn't seem rude to me. What matters is if he takes it that way or not, if he did I apologize as that's not my intent, but I really don't think that's the case.

My bad but with posts nowadays and how Terrans feel about Protoss...

This cup has been on my managers desk for like ever. She retired at the end of the year and it was still there so tonight I said fuck it and took it.

DVXOGA9l.jpg

WTF! Lucky! Nice choice of drink as well.

Syf

Banned
Dragon is cracking me up lol he just used at least 40 nukes in a game. Was launching them 10 at a time at bases near the end. Love me some nuclear overkill.

SamuraiX-

So the RaidCall ESL Euro Series Winter 2013 Finals are on...

mYinsanity vs mousesports

It's tied 2-2 in a Bo5 and the final match to decide the champion comes down to jjakji vs Dear! 1st place team is awarded 2,500 euros.

Stream: BaseTradeTV

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Second mouse today. Fuck this game.

wRxYsIn.jpg

Top Bottom