• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

SamuraiX-

Anyone wanna arcade tonight? Because, well..

qYlhUsq.gif

Incredible. lol

I'll hit you up some other time though.

kasane

oh man i rebought war3

clicked buy now

redirected me to frozen throne

since it redirected me to frozen throne and not reign of chaos i assumed its included

oh boyy its not.

fucking blizz

Edit: And now i can connect to eu but not na

will blizz give me a refund? this is a clusterufck

LOL watching Rotterdam's stream and he's so fucking salty right now.

Rotterdam kept losing to Zerg and getting more and more pissed off. He said if he won the lottery he'd make a tournament and not invite any Zerg's. After losing he kept nerd raging before getting up and walking away from the keyboard for a bit.

Everyone here needs to be following the latest misadventure of Total Biscuit in this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769391

TB is a bit of an asshole but he doesn't deserve that kind of shit. Him doing a lot for SC2 doesn't excuse him from all the crap he said but this is not something you can blame him for which sadly a lot of people are doing.

Hope everything is resolved correctly, laughing at the latest email FUN sent him. Its on his twitter. Can't link it but here is TB's twitter.

Here it is

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Still no GSL dates announced for the round of 16 + semis + up and down.

I'm a little annoyed given im in korea in 4 weeks.

Ohwell, the upside is, pro league is on almost every night im in korea for 2 weeks. With moonglade commentating!

Does anyone kknow if proleague gives out headsets for English commentary like gom does?

Either way, taking my expensive camera and will take sooooo many pictures. Yoshi, mkp should be back next season iiirc, ill try and get a photo of him with a Yoshi toy :)

Still no GSL dates announced for the round of 16 + semis + up and down.

I'm a little annoyed given im in korea in 4 weeks.

Ohwell, the upside is, pro league is on almost every night im in korea for 2 weeks. With moonglade commentating!

Does anyone kknow if proleague gives out headsets for English commentary like gom does?

Either way, taking my expensive camera and will take sooooo many pictures. Yoshi, mkp should be back next season iiirc, ill try and get a photo of him with a Yoshi toy :)

OMG bro please get a pic of the Prime team!

Prime will play in 4 weeks vs Samsung and Jin Air, don't miss it! :D

Also they need to wait for all the RO32 groups to finish before doing the RO16 dates and making the group choices.

This week and next week ends the RO32. Then starts RO 16. So the first groups will probably finish before you get there.

You will likely catch the last 2 groups and miss the end of GSL depending on how long you stay in S. Korea.

HolyCheck

OMG bro please get a pic of the Prime team!

Prime will play in 4 weeks vs Samsung and Jin Air, don't miss it! :D

Also they need to wait for all the RO32 groups to finish before doing the RO16 dates and making the group choices.

This week and next week ends the RO32. Then starts RO 16. So the first groups will probably finish before you get there.

You will likely catch the last 2 groups and miss the end of GSL depending on how long you stay in S. Korea.

Yeh that's what I was thinking. Just with so many pro league games on + GSL it looks like i'm going to have to pick what I go to (which is way above my wildest dreams of what I thought I'd get!!)

honestly I was going to be happy if i got one night of starcraft!

once gsl is lined up I'll make a list of what I plan on going to, plan on taking hundreds of photos :) So def. some of the prime boys.

Syf

Banned
So is the person in charge of the GAF SC2 clan still around? Wondering because it'd be cool to get the GAF logo in-game, take advantage of that new customization thinger in update 2.1. And I think only the leader can add it.

I really need to get back into playing the game. Ever since I hit plat I've been swamped with assignments up the ass and looking for a job.

Also need to hold GAF nights but everyone is in different timezones. >.>

Zen

Banned
In my wet dreams Blizzard is prepping Legacy of the Void for SCII to be going almost completely F2P and that's why we haven't heard anything.

You can either grind experience to buy things by using it as in game currency or purchase them with real money. Like RP etc works in LoL.

Skins for sale/unlock
Animations sets for sale/unlock
Model replacements for sale/unlock
Classic and new music for sale/unlock
Portraits/Decals for sale/unlock

Everything is free including the first mission in Legacy of the Void, you have to pay to unlock the full campaign.
Mini single player and multiplayer campaigns for sale that come out on a schedule

A new ladder 'for funs' where you earn more experience that has rotating units that can be bought for permanent use on that ladder.

Another ladder that has monthly and weekly 'absurd wtf fun changes just because' that has leader boards and rewards based on your performance.

We saw them dabble with the skins/decals idea in HotS, so I'm hoping that it's a sign of things to come.

It's not a MOBA it's some kind of shitty Blizzard hero toy simulator that rewards you sucking terribly

Seems pretty moba to me. It doesn't seem to have a comback mechanic a la Street Fighter IV.

How is this not a Moba
http://youtu.be/5x-u3V_-Eck

Don't know how you guys can follow the NBA. Besides the sport being boring it's kinda shitty how so many teams have no chance in hell of winning, ever.

In my wet dreams Blizzard is prepping Legacy of the Void for SCII to be going almost completely F2P and that's why we haven't heard anything.

You can either grind experience to buy things by using it as in game currency or purchase them with real money. Like RP etc works in LoL.

Skins for sale/unlock
Animations sets for sale/unlock
Model replacements for sale/unlock
Classic and new music for sale/unlock
Portraits/Decals for sale/unlock

Everything is free including the first mission in Legacy of the Void, you have to pay to unlock the full campaign.
Mini single player and multiplayer campaigns for sale that come out on a schedule

A new ladder 'for funs' where you earn more experience that has rotating units that can be bought for permanent use on that ladder.

Another ladder that has monthly and weekly 'absurd wtf fun changes just because' that has leader boards and rewards based on your performance.

We saw them dabble with the skins/decals idea in HotS, so I'm hoping that it's a sign of things to come.

Would love to see but i just don't think they will do it. Hopefully they really go all out with LOTV and make some big changes.

zargle

I believe the commentators said that you could buy a headset to listen in english. Would have been in one of the broadcasts of the past two weeks (likely last week).

I thought I remembered them saying that you could just pick one up, no buying. But I could be wrong. We are agreed on one thing though, there are indeed english headsets.

So things have been weird/stagnant in SC2 recently for me that I have stopped playing for the most part. I blame TvP for that mostly.

Do Protoss players deserve that blame? No not really but their race is designed in such a way currently that they can abuse many things to their advantage. That makes hating them and calling IMBA very easy to do so and certain people/players such as Avilo abuses that and spreads toxic to the community, specifically Terran community.

Today Liquid.HerO won over CMStorm Polt in the IEM Cologne tournament. He did great with his play especially vs EG.Jaedong.

But the thought that came to my mind is whether he really deserved it or not. Or rather it comes to my thoughts for most protoss players that have won tournaments recently.

It all boils down to the Mothership Core which is a unit you can get right after the Cyber Core for Protoss.

The Photon Overcharge ability lets Protoss tech safely while the MSC itself with vision allows for Blink play which is very powerful in the current map pool.

There is another unit which cause Terran specifically problems in the early game. The Oracle with their speed. Before the speed buff Oracles would at least take a while to get to a Terrans base even proxied very close by and the Terran could use 4-5 marines to kill 1 Oracle and push out to bait Photon Overcharge from the MSC before pushing again at 10 minutes and hope for a win or do enough damage to get a bit ahead or even the game out.

However the Oracle's speed buff lets Protoss scare Terrans into almost always going reaper to scout for it like 99.9% of the time. Why? Because Blink and proxy Oracle has become the 2 most powerful mental block for Terrans in Protoss's arsenal.

Oracles now end games for the Terran if you don't prepare for it with 6 marines or factory play with Widow Mines. Before you could CC first and not worry about Oracles killing you even if they proxied it, though it would be close and you are likely to lose if you are super greedy with CC on the expo.

Blink plays a part in the mental block as well. With the vision and timewarp ability MSC has, the power of Blink has become too much to hold most of the time. Preparing for Blink doesn't mean the same as preparing for Oracles which requires the reaper scout most Terrans are doing nowadays.

The problem is that before the Oracles speed buff you could counter Blink much easier. No need to invest 6 marine, turrets or WMs to defense. Just macro up and defend the blink if you scout it. Now that Terrans have to worry about both you need to reaper scout as that has the highest amount of success. Reaper scouting is not free as they cost 50/50 and take a long time to make still. You need to go 12 or 13 gas while before Terrans could skip gas and take a expo before the Oracle patch.

Then you throw in the other stuff Protoss can do such as Dark Templar play, the Zealot Stalker and MSC push that can end games at the 5-7 minute mark if you don't have a bunker and finally other allins that are possible.

Its easy to see why Terrans are so frustrated and complaining about Protoss.

Even if you have prepared for Blink or Oracles. Punishing Protoss for their greed or tech choice is hard if not impossible.

If the Protoss chose to proxy Oracle and you scout it and kill the Oracle. The Protoss is behind but you cannot hope to kill them thanks to the Overcharge ability.

Then there is the blink play where you can hold it off only for the Protoss to transition out to new tech provided they aren't allin or lost too much to defend the counterattack if possible.

Then there are games where the Protoss uses Blink to contain the Terran to their base as the Protoss player techs up to HTs or Colossus. Polt has shown us that there is a way to abuse this by going 3 rax and moving past the army. However that doesn't always work as HerO found out by moving back and defending.

In the end Terran is left with few options in the normal macro games where SCV pulls only work vs colossus based play hence the rise of HT based play.

That is why its so hard to respect Protoss players such as HerO and others who have won recently. Did they win due to their skill or because they abused their races advantage in games.

On another note here is my thoughts on the lategame TvP.

If the Terran doesn't kill the Protoss by the 14-17 minute mark then it is very likely the Terran will lose. Because Protoss lategame is another problem which probably won't be fixed until LOTV.

Protoss in the lategame with warpins can reinforce and harass (lol Zealots and DTs) much better than Terran. Which is their race's shtick anyways so its fine. What is not fine however Terran's lategame answer has not improved since WoL.

Colossus is the biggest problem imho. HTs you should EMP or snipe and if you get stormed then its usually your own fault as Ghosts are supposed to be our go to lategame unit.

The problem with Colossus is the numbers game and the Terran counter to them which is the Vikings.

A Colossus does 15x2 damage to units in a given area which 30 in other words without upgrades.

+1 gives 32, +2 gives 34 and +3 gives 36 damage to colossus.

2 Colossus kills a line of Marines per volly. 4 Colossus with 3/3 in the late game kills Marauders, Marines and Ghosts with 1 volley even with +3 armor

36x4=144 damage. Marauders have 125 HP. With Stim it becomes 105 HP automatically. 1 Marauder would take 140 damage from 4 colossus with +3 armor plus their natural +1 armor which equals 4. Even with medivacs healing. Sometimes there are 6 colossus in the lategame which is an insane 216 damage.

36x6=216 Bio simply melts to that, there is no way to combat that.

You need to snipe with Vikings is the basic answer right?

Well the problem is one of the Colossus most insane strength which is the 9 range they have with the Thermal Lance upgrade.

Same range as Vikings. The problem is that Stalkers with blink and Storms are very good at denying Vikings from shooting Colossus and killing them.

The Vikings themselves are very terrible. Fire very slow and their damage is 14x2 per shot until they hit the hull of the colossus which has +1 armor where it becomes 13x2 or less/more depending on upgrades. For the sake of the example, this is lategame with 3/3/0 Colossus vs Vikings with 2/0.

Vikings with +2 get 16 per shot x2 which is 32 vs armored air units which includes Colossus. Colossus have 150 shield which takes the full 32 damage meaning 5 shots to take the shield down and then the armor kicks in. 28 per shot vs about 190ish HP thanks to the shield damage bleed over.

7 Shots to finish off the colossus. Of course this is from a lone Viking vs Colossus.

In reality you want 12 Vikings with +2 vs 3/3 Colossus to oneshot them. There is a huge problem with this as at least one Viking almost always gets sniped or all of them stormed making pulling them back a priority. This is where they are not firing and the colossus are while the Terran is microing back his bio army.

Storms being a big problem as a single storm is sure to do at least 40 damage to one viking if not more depending on how fast you pull back as Vikings are very slow to move and clump up in the air. 125 HP of Vikings disappears fast to 2 storms or Stalkers picking them off after being softened up.

Vikings also have a horrible tendency to overkill as in they pick a colossus with low health and all the Vikings fire at it leaving extra DPS to be wasted.

Even with 20 Vikings or 24 killing Colossus 2 at a time the Protoss army can melt the Bio of Terran using 6 colossus and storms with Archons and Zealots tanking.

Now if Terran had to deal with HTs and Archon in the lategame with Ghost control without focusing 40 of their supply to Vikings to beat Colossus then maybe Terrans wouldn't lose so much in the lategame and less people would QQ. Vikings cost 2 supply BTW which is the 40 i mentioned above FYI.

That is extra bio or other units that could be used in TvP.

I'm not saying Vikings shouldn't be the answer but Colossus is a big problem and Vikings aren't good enough.

Ghosts are good enough to beat HT and Archons but not Vikings for Colossus. Zerg players can agree with me on this as Corruptors aren't that great either but thankfully Vipers make the Colossus a bit easier to deal with abduct separating them from the main Protoss army.

I'm sure even Protoss players know what I'm talking about when its Colossus vs Gateway. You cannot engage unless you have like 6 Immortals all focus firing Colossus in a PvP. Thankfully David Kim gave you guys a very nice unit called the Tempest where 5 kills a Colossus with 1 volley for only 20 supply and an insane range with no upgrades.

I personally want a nerf to the Colossus in other words. 10 damage x2 and + 5 vs light units so it stays the same vs Marines but less vs Marauders and other armored units.

That or a nerf to their range to 8 so it requires for them to come closer to get a hit on the bio army and gives Vikings a chance to hit colossus easier.

Or buff Vikings and Corruptors vs Massive to deal with Colossus and Tempest at the same time. +4 (+10 for Corruptors which have +6 already) vs Massive would be nice. 18 x 2 per shot which lets the Terran focus less on Vikings and more on bio army.

Thats my feeling on TvP as a whole but with a focus in the early and lategame.

TL;DR

Protoss OP now.

David Kim Nerf Protoss lategame aka Colossus as well as early game.

danielcw

Sorry, for the late answer, I had the tab open in my browser,
so if anybody still cares:

So the races are balanced. Which they currently are not, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you arguing that there is not a racial imbalance?

My point was just, that there is no direct logical connection between the race distribution
at tournaments and balance.
On its own, the race distribution can not be used to proof or disprove balance.

I am not in any position to make a judgement about balance,
because I think I do not know enough about the game, and have not thought enough about it.
As of now, that topic is too complex for me.

But I can the flaws in the logic of some posters, so I make my point about that.

Didn't seem rude to me. What matters is if he takes it that way or not
I don't think you were rude :)

danielcw is a new member of the SC2 community. He is new to SC2 since he doesn't know the meta. We shouldn't make his experience here a negative one.

I am new to SC2GAF, but I have been playin SC2 since 2011, since I had a PC that was strong enough.
SC2 get me back into PC gaming, and I now consider it my 3rd favourite game.
Thankfully, I got many of my (former) real live friends into the game as well,
and we played countless hours of 2vs2 to 4vs4.

But no,
I don't know much about the metagame,
and in a discussion about it I would have a lot of questions.

That being said,
I feel the game is fair to me,
as in,
when I lost, I always feel like it was my fault,
and not the games.
Most of the times I lose, because I don't scout enough.
And sometimes I suck at predicting battles.

For example: I misjudge the number of Vikings I need to take down those Void-Rays.

When I read about balance in forums like these or SC2,
the discussion often looks very superficial to me,
and I wonder if most people are just saying what comes to their mind, without thinking it to an end,
or if they are just way ahead of me.

As I said, I think it is very complex.

I also think that your (Crimsonlink) post on this page,
or what SamuraiX wrote a few pages ago are good posts.
I wish there were more like these.

My thing is that a group of Swarm Hosts should never ever ever be allowed to easily situate themselves in an offensive position without any support from the rest of the Zerg army. This happens way too frequently.
[...snip...]
Swarm Hosts should be used solely as a support unit, not a primary damage dealing cannon.

I thought the point of Swarm Hosts (& Tempests) was to give all races a way to siege the opponent.

What about the simple suggestion to make it easier to snipe them by reducing the their HP?

I'm kind of with EscapingJail that the amount of constant balance bitching (mostly from Terran but a bit from everyone) has made me avoid SC2 threads more often. I'm all for a good balancing discussion, but it keeps going past that and it's just been constantly "nerf X" without any discussion on how it would fix what is currently wrong and how it would effect other match ups. SamuraiX-, despite making awesome OP's for every Tournament, is the first person I've put on ignore on GAF because of how he acts every time a Terran is playing. I want a good discussion while a tournament is going on, but it's becoming harder and harder to get one.

giri

What about the simple suggestion to make it easier to snipe them by reducing the their HP?

I don't think their HP is a problem. If an army can get to them at all, they can usually wreck them once there.

The problem is ever being able to get next to them.

Aaron

I'm kind of with EscapingJail that the amount of constant balance bitching (mostly from Terran but a bit from everyone) has made me avoid SC2 threads more often. I'm all for a good balancing discussion, but it keeps going past that and it's just been constantly "nerf X" without any discussion on how it would fix what is currently wrong and how it would effect other match ups. SamuraiX-, despite making awesome OP's for every Tournament, is the first person I've put on ignore on GAF because of how he acts every time a Terran is playing. I want a good discussion while a tournament is going on, but it's becoming harder and harder to get one.
Race wars is on tonight so it might not be the tourney for a balanced discussion.

Dang its hard to believe its gotten this bad. :( Might explain why not people come and post here or come to GAF night. ;_;

I have to defend Samurai here and say he really only does that for Bomber mostly. The rest is when we all whine about Protoss IMBA or its a Protoss player we dislike (see Patience)

BTW Danielcw nice to know. Sorry for assuming you never played but usually if someone say they don't know the meta they automatically get sorted as a new member in my head.

Everyone we still love you guys Protoss players included! (even if we dislike your race) If it really is a big deal I propose we make it a rule to not balance whine from now on and I'll edit my long ass post up there.

danielcw

Race wars is on tonight so it might not be the tourney for a balanced discussion.

What is Race Wars?

Dang its hard to believe its gotten this bad. :( Might explain why not people come and post here or come to GAF night. ;_;

Do GAF nights still happen?
Since I am lurking this thread, I only saw 2 or 3,
and at the one I tried to attend I was 1 hour late, and it was over by then.

Also I barely see people from the NeoGAF group/clan on EU servers, so I assumed most people have moved on.

So things have been weird/stagnant in SC2 recently for me that I have stopped playing for the most part. I blame TvP for that mostly.

Do Protoss players deserve that blame? No not really but their race is designed in such a way currently that they can abuse many things to their advantage. That makes hating them and calling IMBA very easy to do so and certain people/players such as Avilo abuses that and spreads toxic to the community, specifically Terran community.

I think the pro level and the lower level of the game should be completely different discussions. At the very top there are definitely changes that need to be made. At lower levels (basically anything below master) things are perfectly fine in terms of balance. Unlike at the pro level things like mech are completely viable and you aren't punished nearly as hard early on.

I'm not sure whether your post is meant entirely to be discussing the pro level or not just something i thought i'd mention.

I actually agree with a lot of what you say but i completely disagree on what the solution should be.

I'm sure even Protoss players know what I'm talking about when its Colossus vs Gateway. You cannot engage unless you have like 6 Immortals all focus firing Colossus in a PvP. Thankfully David Kim gave you guys a very nice unit called the Tempest where 5 kills a Colossus with 1 volley for only 20 supply and an insane range with no upgrades.

You don't need tempests to stop colos. That's why immortal archon has basically taken over as the go to composition in PvP.

I'm kind of with EscapingJail that the amount of constant balance bitching (mostly from Terran but a bit from everyone) has made me avoid SC2 threads more often.

This is me. I doubt anyone really cares but i think it's about time i take a break from SC2 related threads and just enjoy the game without this relentless negativity and balance whining. My own posts lately have been of pretty low quality as well and discussing SC2 right now just doesn't feel like much fun.

HolyCheck

Wow, that was pretty good to watch. And obviously Boxer had to make an appearance as well lol

I'm curious about Yellow showing Hearthstone. Low chance of happening, but I wonder if he will be part of OGN promotion of the game when they start their tournaments for it.

yes! and so good to see him and doohee are such good friends in real life now after appearing in The Genius together.

Syf

Banned
I think I've been one of the worst for doing this. Sorry guys.

Zen

Banned
I honestly don't think that people should let balance whining rub them the wrong way. Every race has had their turn (like Terran for a LOT of WoL).

Top Bottom