• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't expect there to be any terran presence at Blizzcon. Blizzard have been steadily nerfing them to replace them with a new doge based race in Legacy of the Void.

A2rb3iC.jpg

I don't expect there to be any terran presence at Blizzcon. Blizzard have been steadily nerfing them to replace them with a new doge based race in Legacy of the Void.

Maru and Polt are probably locks. Bomber should because he'll get invited to every tournament. MMA should as well but I don't follow WCS EU much. Innovation is a big wildcard.

Aaron

Maru and Polt are probably locks. Bomber should because he'll get invited to every tournament. MMA should as well but I don't follow WCS EU muchl. Innovation is a big wildcard.
Yeah probably, but with the state of the game, all of them but Polt will be knocked out as soon as they face a strong zerg or protoss. Maru's recent record against zergs is awful, while he's only 50/50 against protoss. Bomber has been playing mostly weaker opponents, and only doing all right. MMA has lost most of his recent games with opponents around his level. And Innovation's record is all over the place. None of them are solid like the zerg and protoss frontrunners like Soo and Zest.

Just going through the records of a number of top terrans and there are just strings of losses to zergs. Long strings.

Yeah probably, but with the state of the game, all of them but Polt will be knocked out as soon as they face a strong zerg or protoss. Maru's recent record against zergs is awful, while he's only 50/50 against protoss. Bomber has been playing mostly weaker opponents, and only doing all right. MMA has lost most of his recent games with opponents around his level. And Innovation's record is all over the place. None of them are solid like the zerg and protoss frontrunners like Soo and Zest.

Maru's recent record against Zerg is awful because he literally goes Proxy 2 Rax EVERY series. Everyone has realized this which is why he's been losing lately.

Aaron

Maru's recent record against Zerg is awful because he literally goes Proxy 2 Rax EVERY series. Everyone has realized this which is why he's been losing lately.
What choice does he have? Hellions don't do enough damage to prevent the zerg from getting their muta ball, and as soon as that flock hits a dozen or so he might as well gg there. Other terrans have done a variety of tactics, but nothing is working.

I don't know if anyone else watched the kings of iron series between MVP and Scarlett, but MVP tried pretty much every last unit the terran had to counter the zerg, and he just couldn't win. If it wasn't early losses from mutas, it was being picked apart by swarm hosts. He had lines of tanks, clouds of battlecruiser / vikings, he was killing zerg bases, assassinating spires, but he still lost. It felt like watching a regression from how the late game had played out in WoL.

What choice does he have? Hellions don't do enough damage to prevent the zerg from getting their muta ball, and as soon as that flock hits a dozen or so he might as well gg there.

I don't know if anyone else watched the kings of iron series between MVP and Scarlett, but MVP tried pretty much every last unit the terran had to counter the zerg, and he just couldn't win. If it wasn't early losses from mutas, it was being picked apart by swarm hosts. He had lines of tanks, clouds of battlecruiser / vikings, he was killing zerg bases, assassinating spires, but he still lost.

You either 1) play greedy and get a really fast 3rd CC while preventing Zerg from ever getting a 4th or 2) go 2 Reaper's and 6 Hellion's into fast stim and make a big Marine/Medivac push before Zerg gets Baneling speed since they've been delaying it so much lately.

I also keep seeing Terran going Banshees trying to make a push with their Reaper/Hellions instead of sending them to bases forcing Zerg to keep Queens at home and making your Reaper/Hellion push easier.

Aaron

You either 1) play greedy and get a really fast 3rd CC while preventing Zerg from ever getting a 4th or 2) go 2 Reaper's and 6 Hellion's into fast stim and make a big Marine/Medivac push before Zerg gets Baneling speed since they've been delaying it so much lately.
I don't see how you can win playing greedy when a zerg only need three bases before they start rolling you. In the games I've seen, number 2 seems to work about half the time. Flash has had the most success with it, though the zergs he's played sometimes make questionable decisions. Life in particular has been playing all over the place lately. Though his record is nothing compared to soO, who has won eight out of his last ten games against terran. The only terran who gave him serious problems was Maru, but I doubt it would play out that way if they met now.

I don't see how you can win playing greedy when a zerg only need three bases before they start rolling you. In the games I've seen, number 2 seems to work about half the time. Flash has had the most success with it, though the zergs he's played sometimes make questionable decisions. Life in particular has been playing all over the place lately. Though his record is nothing compared to soO, who has won eight out of his last ten games against terran. The only terran who gave him serious problems was Maru, but I doubt it would play out that way if they met now.

A 3 base Zerg isn't doing crap against a 3 base Terran unless you go Hellbats instead of Widow Mines or Thors like for some reason Terran keep doing. A 2 base Zerg is only viable if you're doing a Roach/Baneling all-in which isn't hard to scout. Life is good because he's the most recklessly aggressive Zerg. One game he may play standard and the next he might build 20 drones and go mass Speedling. He's basically the Russell Westbrook of StarCraft 2.

Zen

Banned
Blizzard’s “Rock the Cabinet” Contest Has a $15,000 Prize Pool for StarCraft 2 User-Created Levels

StarCraft2_Arcade.jpeg

The StarCraft series hasn't only become known for its incredible levels of depth and competitive nature, but for its level editor. StarCraft 2 not only has a powerful editor, but it was recently made free to anyone, regardless of whether or not you own a copy of the game. It goes without saying that there is now a ton of activity in Arcade mode, allowing players to spend thousands of hours enjoying creative content made by other players. Or, if they're ambitious enough, they can make their own.

Now there's an even better reason to spend some time developing an Arcade game in StarCraft 2. The satisfaction of making something and sharing it with thousands is great and all, but Blizzard has a contest running that has a bountiful prize pool. Called "Rock the Cabinet", the contest has a simple premise: make the coolest level possible. Between June 30th and July 7th, all players will be able to vote for their favorite of the bunch.

The most important question you're probably already posing is, "what are the prizes?". Well, there are going to be three winners, all of which are rewarded handsomely. See below:

First Place Winner

The qualified entrant who is determined to be the First Place Winner of the Contest shall receive a prize package consisting of the following: (i) Seven Thousand Dollars ($7,000.00 USD); (ii) the opportunity to participate in a "Dev Jam Session," video conference with select members of Sponsor’s StarCraft/Arcade development team; (iii) up to four (4) tickets to allow members of the team that assisted in the development of the First Place submission to attend Sponsor’s "BlizzCon," player convention; and (iv) Sponsor will provide localization of the submission into Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish.

Second Place Winner

The qualified entrant who is determined to be the Second Place Winner of the Contest shall receive a prize package consisting of the following: (i) Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00 USD); (ii) up to four (4) tickets to allow members of the team that assisted in the development of the Second Place submission to attend Sponsor’s "BlizzCon," player convention; and (iii) Sponsor will localize the submission into Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish.

Third Place Winner

The qualified entrant who is determined to be the Third Place Winner of the Contest shall receive a prize package consisting of the following: (i) Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000.00 USD); (ii) up to four (4) tickets to allow members of the team that assisted in the development of the Third Place submission to attend Sponsor’s "BlizzCon," player convention; and (iii) Sponsor will localize the submission into Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish.

All that for spending a few hours creating something? Time to open up that level editor and get to work.

Syf

Banned
That's cool of Blizzard. Hopefully it leads to more arcade games worth playing.

Where is Samurai?? ;-;

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
4 years late after fucking over everyone with their discovery systems.

I'm gonna watch Flash vs DRG on that King's map, any other standouts?

Zen

Banned
There are so many good matches here and there, but my memory is crap. I only remember the flash DRG match because it was the one that made me switch to mech in TvZ.

Yo its been a while. Happy to see EJ streaming from time to time.

I've been neglecting SC2 because of work and Gundam but should get back into it soon.

Prime's recent results have been depressing me and the fact that most of their members are not playing in leagues makes me watch very little SC2. Low Terrans in GSL means I don't even bother getting up for it anymore.

We better get a DRG vs MKP in round 4 of Proleague as Prime is barely avoiding 8th place for the 3rd time and depending on Jin Air and KT, they might end up 8th again. :( ;_;

I'd hate to say it but MKP needs to think about making himself Liquid MK or EG MK because Prime is not giving him the support he needs.

Polt, Ryung and a bunch of former Prime players are at the top of their game in other teams.

Creator as well.

Zen

Banned
I don't even bother with GSL unless there is a standout match to watch, I mainly just watch Proleague with Prime and KT, as well as Shoutcraft clans wars. The team format, as well as all the information that proleague gives you before each match is instant narrative building where as GSL is always just group stages and then random assigned matches.

When a player if put up against another player in proleague they have been picked to do so, and the team has spent the week specifically practicing for each player and matchup, it adds a lot of texture to the whole thing.

I don't even bother with GSL unless there is a standout match to watch, I mainly just watch Proleague with Prime and KT, as well as Shoutcraft clans wars. The team format, as well as all the information that proleague gives you before each match is instant narrative building where as GSL is always just group stages and then random assigned matches.

When a player if put up against another player in proleague they have been picked to do so, and the team has spent the week specifically practicing for each player and matchup, it adds a lot of texture to the whole thing.

I'm hyped about Life vs Rogue tonight despite hating ZvZ. Wouldn't be surprised if either of them won GSL this season.

Aaron

GSL has become occasional background noise for me. Without a terran playing, I just don't care, and when a terran plays, it's mostly depressing.

When is that and what matches should I be looking at for the upcoming rounds of GSL?

In about 3 hours. Next Wednesday could have Maru vs DRG. Next Friday's group is really good but no match ups really stand out. Group G is kind of meh but the last group in 2 weeks opens with herO vs Innovation.

Zen

Banned
Solved the deathball problem guyz

iRckeGI.jpg

May lineup for shoutcraft!

Total Biscuit said:
IVD vs ROOT - Saturday, May 10 6:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)[/b]
Startale vs MyInsanity - Sunday, May 18 9:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)
Axiom vs MVP - Sunday, May 18 6:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)
Evil Geniuses vs Axiom - Friday, May 23 11:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)
IM vs MVP - Monday, May 26 11:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)
EG vs Clan Who? - Friday, May 30 11:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)
ROOT vs Startale - Saturday, May 31 6:00pm UTC (GMT+00:00)

There ya go, some goddamn lineups for ya.

EU teams are conspicuous by their absence, none of them signed up for any events with the exception of MyInsanity. We're not really sure why, since we offered EU friendly times this month. Hopefully we'll get more interest from them next month.

LolDestiny. Watching Incontrol's stream and he just beat Destiny on 2 bases while Destiny had 4 with one of them a gold base. No gg and he shut off his stream.

Wonder if there's enough active players here for a gaf tournament

We'd need fangirls too

The last one wasn't really that big, and to be honest me and shake were the only high masters(close to gm) players in the tourney. So I imagine it wasn't the most fun for alot of people.

The best bet would be an invitational with the 8 gaffers with the highest ladder rank that want to participate.

Zen

Banned
My relative standing has gone down a little since the day, bit if I am still in the top 8 I would be happy to participate and seek advice.

Welp Destiny is now my least favorite streamer. Lost to mech and nerdraged, then made fun of autistic people.

Link with timestamp? He was always used autism as a negative pejorative or did somethign different happen?

My relative standing has gone down a little since the day, bit if I am still in the top 8 I would be happy to participate and seek advice.

Link with timestamp? He was always used autism as a negative pejorative or did somethign different happen?

I've never watched him stream before so I guess I know why. Was great seeing him ragequit his stream when Incontrol beat him though.

Zen

Banned
Why do we see so many pro level terrans trying to go hellbat bio thor? It seems like it is far weaker than bio mine.

Yeah mech is viable in TvP but its hard

Would you like me to share some of my builds and tactics? I honestly find mech TvP easier than winning whack a mole as the mole, against protoss.

Rock the Cabinet: Announcing New Rock on! Bonus Arcade Assets said:
when we first announced the Rock the Cabinet contest, we knew we’d get some amazing submissions, but we were not prepared. We're overwhelmed by the diversity and quality of the games we're seeing during our Arcade Night play-tests. As we’ve been sharing these entries around the office the excitement surrounding the contest has multiplied. Some of our creative teams have been so impressed they’ve offered their time to create new art and sound assets.

In addition to the official prizes, we are thrilled to announce these new Rock on! Bonus Arcade Assets:

Grand Prize

Art created by the StarCraft II art team including:
A custom loading screen
A unique game icon for the Arcade browse screen
A custom made portrait players will be able to unlock
Audio created by the Blizzard sound team including:
An original theme song
An ambient track designed for your game
Second & Third Place

Art created by the StarCraft II art team including:
A custom made portrait players will be able to unlock
An ambient track designed for your game and composed by our Sound Department
Fourth & Fifth Place

Developers take heed -- these new assets are awaiting you at the finish line, so push hard! Polish up those games and deliver the best product you can. You have until May 31, 2014 to get your submission in. You can view the official rules here: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/sc2-arcade/rules.html

Good luck!

Syf

Banned
WOT = World of Tanks? That sounds like really bad news.. will watch the VOD. Do they have a good source for saying that?

Zen

Banned
Yeah World of Tanks.

Unfiltered vods here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjkFLOqF-w

Also am I the only one that has to put up with this bullshit?

wtf.jpg

Bonus points: None of my races appear, the math making for 1v1 etc appear typed out (and out of order) and when racial selection does not appear, I can not play. It will also think I have never played a game before until I hit play.

Zen

Banned
Polt versus Photon Overcharge Cheese

Great game, remember ow I talked about instant narrative building with pro league? Check out this video.

Maru versus Effort, game 7 between the two teams

Starbow now has the bringing micro back from the BroodWar carrier.

It was fixable in the editor but very well hidden.

Huge thanks to "Ulosethegame" for finding this!

For those of you who wants to know how to make carriers behave like they did in BroodWar: Goto Weapon -> Interceptor Beam -> Loiter radius, and change that to something bigger. The bigger the radius the longer the carrier can re-target interceptors that are heading back to the carrier.

Check out Starbow at http://starbowmod.com/

EDIT: More testing shows that it did not make them that much more similar but they are easier to micro now. I really did not mean to give false information here I was just so excited as we have been working on this for several years and it seemed like we had finally fixed it.

Man mutas are so easy to deal with now, if I do not scount a heavy commitment to roaches, I just get 4 thors instead of the two and all my bases have good coverage and I can slaughter the mutas if I predict their pattern.

Yeah mech is viable in TvP but its hard

I have my own builds but this apparently works into high masters. Also recommend watching HTOMario.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/445969-tvp-hammer-build-crushing-protoss

Polt versus Photon Overcharge Cheese

Great game, remember ow I talked about instant narrative building with pro league? Check out this video.

Maru versus Effort, game 7 between the two teams

Starbow now has the bringing micro back from the BroodWar carrier.

Man mutas are so easy to deal with now, if I do not scount a heavy commitment to roaches, I just get 4 thors instead of the two and all my bases have good coverage and I can slaughter the mutas if I predict their pattern.

OMG Thank you Zen! Thors are good now for some reason. My TvZ has been suffering but the thors are making things a bit easier.

Top Bottom