• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Zen

Banned
All links in link because I am lazy
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/28wmhb/my_starcraft_contribution_600_personal_hours/

This Tournament is called ASL

About me and some basic info

Hello, I am Sabre, a passionate and devout fan of StarCraft. Since April 1st I have invested well over 600 hours of my time creating a GSL style StarCraft tournament. 96 Players in 3 separate divisions will be be playing in it from Bronze to Grand Masters over the next 8 weeks. My good friend Scott Sandoval from Scott Sandoval VFX and myself have designed all the graphics, logos, videos, and production by ourselves. I have several casters donating their time to cast the tournament which I am so grateful for. Sadly we are not sponsored, I am doing this out of my undying love for the game and community. ♥

If you could spare some free time to come visit the stream and show your support I would be extremely grateful! If you are too busy I understand, perhaps just follow us on Twitter to show your support. :)

Time: 18:00 US Pacific / 21:00 US East Coast / 2:00 am London, England on Twitch Channel

References and Links

Rules and guidelines for Season 2

League Info
League Schedule

The Live Broadcast Link on Twitch TV
The Twitter we have setup
The Facebook we have setup
YouTube Channel with our stuff on it

I love you Scott Sandoval VFX

Examples of our hard work: graphics and stuff like that

Images

Round of 32 group stages poster Season 2 Logo
Custom Made Planet
Title Card fire theme
SC2 Art canvas we made
Caster Dollar lol

Videos

Round of 32 Name intro
Custom ASL Planet Render by Scott Sandoval

The Casters who volunteer

Ascended from Ascended Nation
Bexy
Genesis
EnderSword from eSports Canada
Lethe from AlloyE
Kibbelz
Temp0
Aldaris from AlloyE

Also

WATCH THIS

Linked the korean version because hype
http://youtu.be/cCCG6E1Gnpw

TvT ladies and gentlemen, TvT...

Aaron

1cmanny1

Over a year ago, I gave up on StarCraft 2 due to my opinion that Protoss was far too OP. I also started to absolutely detest Blizzard due to them fucking up Diablo 3.

How is it now? Is the community still going strong, or is is nearly dead?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Over a year ago, I gave up on StarCraft 2 due to my opinion that Protoss was far too OP. I also started to absolutely detest Blizzard due to them fucking up Diablo 3.

I know this is a rare thing to say, coming from me, but the game is alive and well. It's actually really good right now. Some match ups can be quite iffy at times but there's always a way around that.

Zen

Banned

Still going strong, not even protoss can keep us down! you should reinstall :p

Zen

Banned
RE: Dragon Invitational: This feels like a Tournament made specifically for MKP to have some results in single format, kind of like how the Shoutcraft Invitation allowed Flash to shine (say what you will about the final three games, he was goosebump inducing for the entire tournament leading up to that).

Random aside I feel like SCII should make more of a big deal of second and third place, like the Olympics do with Silver and Bronze.

Catz actually picked it up well enough, I thought, in the final day. It is funny that everything he and Destiny complain about that casters do are things they are taking on board to improve their casting (well, Catz anyway). XD

So do Korean casters, ok let me back up, few if any English casters seem to have the level of intensity and energy that Korean casters seem to, like in that korean TvT I linked earlier, the match is actually more exciting for me to listen to in Korean.

But the closest we ever got to that was HD shouting STORMMMSS! and it sounded kind of dumb? oo Korean casters sound stupid, if you know Korean, or does the language suit itself better to that level of engagement?

Zen

Banned
So I have been reported for ~hacking~ twice in two days for going mass raven on Habitation station. By Zergs of course (thanks Idra:eek:) :p

Woo filling out counter reports on them for falsely accusing and reporting! One guy even claimed he was running unauthorized third party software that detects hacking.

So juicy.

Hope the babies get banned.

Also i guess I should also have Azubu open as well as twitch, I did not realize that so many SCII guys made the switch. Cant blame them considering they were apparently promised guaranteed rates (to what they were getting on twitch) no matter how many viewers they get. It will be a while before it dies and then they will be back on twitch.

Watching death ball versus death ball in Starbow, Tasteless versus someone with Artosis commentary
http://www.azubu.tv/artosis

Is Starbow any good? I would be down with playing some starbow with other gaffers, since I am completely clueless.

Aslo all the guys on Azubu make up like 15-20% of the SCII viewers at the moment, if they were on twitch they would probably have higher numbers, but even with 1:1 Hots would be like 7th or 8th atm. When did the Azubu brain drain happen?

No platinum for me :( Hopefully next season. I didn't play enough down the stretch. I think my MMR must be in the buffer zone, too - playing a lot of plat players, getting less points for wins against some golds, etc.

I think coming up against a lot of very capable zerg players slowed me down a lot. I may need to change up my approach against them (well, and get around to improving my mechanics, which are still pretty crappy).

Maybe my favorite timing (3 Immortal push off one base) just isn't there against better opponents. One issue is I probably need to actually start using Sentries to force field my opponent's army, but even then I've been running into Roach counts that I'm not sure if I can break either way.

I used to have pretty easy victories against most early hatch, econ-focused openings, even if I got scouted, but that's definitely not true against Plat Zerg. I know I need to now call off the attack if I get scouted - I think I should be able to transition without really being behind in those instances, since it forces a ton of spines out of my opponent. But I'm also wondering that if I do have any opening in the earlier game, if it might be sooner at this level. Three immortals used to be the magic number since I found it was enough of a backbone to be able to plow through spines while still allowing me to hit before my opponent hit a critical mass of roaches. Been considering an early Stalker to try and deny Overlord intel, though it's hard to be able to bank on that, especially since it delays my Robo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Someone please help

30th this month is season change

Can you still rank up till that date or is ranking locked?

Someone please help

30th this month is season change

Can you still rank up till that date or is ranking locked?

Leagues are locked. i.e. if you're currently Silver, you can't get promoted to Gold. You can still rank up in your specific division, though (i.e. try and finish #1/Top 8).

However, it's important to know that your invisible rating that determines your league still changes during this time. So, even with the leagues locked, if you keep winning games, it'll improve your chances of being promoted next season.

Yoshichan

Leagues are locked. i.e. if you're currently Silver, you can't get promoted to Gold. You can still rank up in your specific division, though (i.e. try and finish #1/Top 8).

However, it's important to know that your invisible rating that determines your league still changes during this time. So, even with the leagues locked, if you keep winning games, it'll improve your chances of being promoted next season.
Well fuck me twice and call me kskwvfokwbbeiibsiivev

There goes the Diamond/Master-streak I've had since 2012 or whatever. Yay! A Platinum fucking icon in the middle of everything. GREAT :)!

I honestly feel like commiting suicide right now. That's how powerful my OCD is.

Well fuck me twice and call me kskwvfokwbbeiibsiivev

There goes the Diamond/Master-streak I've had since 2012 or whatever. Yay! A Platinum fucking icon in the middle of everything. GREAT :)!

I honestly feel like commiting suicide right now. That's how powerful my OCD is.

Haha, sorry for spelling things out so much. Wasn't entirely sure what to make of your first question.

It kinda feels like the lock came out of left field. I swear I saw a Blizzard post from the community manager on battle.net's forums saying that the 30th was the lock date and not the end of the season, and then I looked two days later and saw the announcement that the leagues were locked.

Yoshichan

How do I leave the ladder season?? Please someone save me!!!

How do I leave the ladder season?? Please someone save me!!!

Go into your ladder standings and then look (or scroll down, forgot) at the bottom of the pop-up. There's a "leave league" button. As Biskie said, now that leagues are locked, we're not sure that you'll be able to leave.

Yoshichan

Go into your ladder standings and then look (or scroll down, forgot) at the bottom of the pop-up. There's a "leave league" button. As Biskie said, now that leagues are locked, we're not sure that you'll be able to leave.
Need to try this asap..

Yoshichan

Stocked up on accessories for the next season! Bring it on protoss.

wL5wJON.jpg

Yoshichan

IT WORKED!

LEAVING THE LADDER WORKED!

SC2GAF FTW

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU

Zen

Banned
It blows my mind that we still haven't gotten a preview of next seasons maps.

No platinum for me :( Hopefully next season. I didn't play enough down the stretch. I think my MMR must be in the buffer zone, too - playing a lot of plat players, getting less points for wins against some golds, etc.

I think coming up against a lot of very capable zerg players slowed me down a lot. I may need to change up my approach against them (well, and get around to improving my mechanics, which are still pretty crappy).

Maybe my favorite timing (3 Immortal push off one base) just isn't there against better opponents. One issue is I probably need to actually start using Sentries to force field my opponent's army, but even then I've been running into Roach counts that I'm not sure if I can break either way.

I used to have pretty easy victories against most early hatch, econ-focused openings, even if I got scouted, but that's definitely not true against Plat Zerg. I know I need to now call off the attack if I get scouted - I think I should be able to transition without really being behind in those instances, since it forces a ton of spines out of my opponent. But I'm also wondering that if I do have any opening in the earlier game, if it might be sooner at this level. Three immortals used to be the magic number since I found it was enough of a backbone to be able to plow through spines while still allowing me to hit before my opponent hit a critical mass of roaches. Been considering an early Stalker to try and deny Overlord intel, though it's hard to be able to bank on that, especially since it delays my Robo.

Try this. I am not protoss but you can also search up build order practice maps on arcade (there is also a build order ap for android phones you can get)

A better version of the immortal sentry all in)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/390838-a-better-sentry-immortal-all-in-pvz
Video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17WCtSY5bN0

Examples to watch (Parting version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQlmqlVYH2I

Hope that helps.

Build is fairly strong even if it is from 2012!

Try this. I am not protoss but you can also search up build order practice maps on arcade (there is also a build order ap for android phones you can get)

A better version of the immortal sentry all in)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/390838-a-better-sentry-immortal-all-in-pvz
Video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17WCtSY5bN0

Examples to watch (Parting version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQlmqlVYH2I

Hope that helps.

Build is fairly strong even if it is from 2012!

Thanks. I'll probably mess around and give it a try. It may not be as fast as my one base build, but it's probably a hell of a lot safer. When I commit to an attack off the one base, it's a true all-in since if I lose my army, I'm left with my main starting to run dry and not enough income to have a prayer of prepping for a counterattack. Going for a two-base timing instead would probably give me a chance to hold if my attack fails.

The early Zealot and Sentry would probably make it so I don't have to scout super early, either. My current build is about as greedy as you can get with one base play, so I'm forced to scout for an early pool so I can defend against lings with a forge and cannon or two.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I scanned and searched, didn't see a thread.

Big grats to Classic, sucks for SoO. From 1 pointer Terran in BW for SKT1 Fantasy points to GSL Champ. Anything is possible with Protoss Kappa
Finals could have been worse.

Yoshichan

M-m-m-mechanical!

BOOM!!!!

Yoshichan

How are mechanical keyboards better?
"BOOOM!!!" is not the sound I make when I'm trying to say something is good. That's the sound of keyboards getting destroyed because of how shit (most mechs) are.

Zen

Banned
Oh gotcha, they have always seemed like a bit of a scam to me.

Why you should watch the SC2CTL Finals Tomorrow at 11AM Eastern Time (6 hours from now)
LINK http://twitch.tv/sc2ctl
Casters: InControl and Grubby
tl;dr 4 great teams playing for a $700 prize pool in the conclusion of the Starcraft 2 Community Team League, with guest casters Grubby and iNcontroL http://twitch.tv/sc2ctl

If you're ready to see some semi-pro Starcraft 2 teams get paid for their hard work and dedication to their passion, boy have I got the show for you.

Tomorrow (Saturday) at 11AM EDT (5PM CEST), the SC2CTL will conclude its 11-week run and crown it's Competitive division champions, awarding a $700 prize pool in the process. SC2CTL Season 2 started on the week of April 14th this year, and since then these teams have fought tooth and nail, bringing their A-Game to fight their way to the top. And now that we have four people in a ring on the top, let's watch them fight a little.

What kind of show can I expect?

We're going to be putting on our best show yet! The show starts at 11AM Eastern, and will run for several hours, showing four live best-of seven proleague-style matches. Our regular season casting talent wingnutsc and gallagation will be returning with their unique and friendly casting style, but we will also be joined by some industry heavyweights: Grubby will be joining us for the first best-of seven, lending his casting talent at a perfect time for some European viewership (5PM CEST). And for the Grand Finals (match 4), we'll be joined by the one and only iNcontroL!

Also during the stream we will be giving away a Corsair Mechanical keyboard to our viewers, so it's not just the players that are getting rewarded for their participation.

So tell me something about the teams:

Integrity Gaming:

Integrity Gaming is more of a family than a team. We are an extremely tight knit group of friends that have bonded over the dream of becoming the next big foreign team. (-Zailyn, team owner)

To get to the finals, Integrity Gaming climbed a difficult mountain going up against (wins bolded) Děravá Kapsa, MicroGamerZ, Team Elite, Team Killing Spree, and zombie llama coyote. Notably, they have only dropped a single match the entire tournament, losing 4-3 to zombie llama coyote. They were ranked the number 1 team coming out of group stages, giving them a first round playoffs bye. xIG is definitely a contender to win SC2CTL. They've been a pleasure to watch this entire season and they could PandaBearMe anytime.

Miraculous Gaming:

Miraculous Gaming was founded by Mercy and I to create the most competitive and community friendly clan for players to enjoy. Miraculous Gaming is a very fast growing clan with members applying everyday. (-Kenji, team owner)

Making it to the finals was no slouch for miraculous gaming either. To get to the finals they played (wins bolded): Team Overdosed, SEED Gaming, rip zeez, Kaos Latin Gamers, Team Ascension, Team Gravity.

Miraculous will definitely make it difficult for xIG to even advance. In the previous playoffs round they eliminated Team Gravity, the winners of SC2CTL Season 1 North America. Getting this far was in no way Miraculous; the team put in hard work and some incredible games.

MicroGamerZ:

MicroGamerZ Esports is a professional gaming organization that has grown vastly over the course of the past seven months. With our launch just as a regular community in September we have quickly expanded into a multi gaming organization reaching out to StarCraft II, League of Legends, Hearthstone, Diablo, and Rust.

MicroGamerZ road to the finals was paved with (wins bolded): DuSt, Integrity Gaming, No Dice Gaming, GGKids, Prometheus Gaming, zombie llama coyote, SEED Gaming.

While their win against SEED (who was ranked #2 going into the playoffs) was an impressive knockout punch, MicroGamerZ has a tough road ahead of them. They play No Dice Gaming, who they lost to in group stages, and if they win, they're potentially going up against Integrity Gaming, another old foe that they lost to in group stages. But not to count them out, they're some incredible players and they've already made it to the round of 4, so they're clearly pretty skilled.

No Dice Gaming:

Founded in 2011, No Dice Gaming is a community devoted to eSports and online gaming. With guilds, players, and staff from around the globe, we are committed to providing our members with the tools, news, and services they need to promote themselves and their teams.

Going in to SC2CTL Season 2, No Dice Gaming was thought by many to be a favourite to win the whole thing, and so far they have not disappointed. Getting to this point they have pushed through (wins bolded): Kaos Latin Gamers, Team Killing Spree, Complexity, MicroGamerZ, SEED Gaming, Team Elite, Crossfire Gaming, rip zeez

With well-perfoming players like Cham, Valor and HTOMario, No Dice Gaming clearly has what it takes to be able to win SC2CTL. But whether they can actually pull it off will be revealed on Saturday.

And finally, the schedule:

11 Eastern: Semi-Final 1 - Integrity Gaming vs Miraculous Gaming (casting with Grubby)

Roughly 1:30PM Eastern: Semi-Final 2 - MicroGamerZ vs No Dice Gaming

Roughly 4PM Eastern: 3rd/4th Place match

Roughly 6:30PM Eastern: Grand Finals (casting with iNcontroL)

Wow, do you ever stop writing?

This season has been a long struggle with tonnes of effort from many parties myself with the programming, scheduling and administrating, and the casters with consistently putting on a fantastic show week after week can become a time drain that is sometimes very taxing. But tomorrow, it all culminates into this one final event. The big payoff. I hope you all come join us and are as excited about this as we are.

Top Bottom