• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

(._.)

Banned
aSbgCIH.jpg

:DDDDDD

gonna look around for a collectors tomorrow

calder

I'm watching the Blizz launch match but MLG is replaying Babyknight vs Nerchio and their 1080+ is soooooo crisp on my second monitor I'm watching it more. MLG vs NASL vs Dreamhack - which production has the best stream picture quality? All so great, perfect colours, ultra settings, 1080p and high bitrate = sex.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I'm watching the Blizz launch match but MLG is replaying Babyknight vs Nerchio and their 1080+ is soooooo crisp on my second monitor I'm watching it more. MLG vs NASL vs Dreamhack - which production has the best stream picture quality? All so great, perfect colours, ultra settings, 1080p and high bitrate = sex.

Id say Dreamhack...but maybe MLG has caught up recently, I havnt really watched them much.

I think I'm gonna see if I can find a CE tomorrow/today at Best Buy or wherever and hold on to it for a bit, to see if Amazon gets more back in stock in the next week or two. Then return the B&M one if Amazon comes through (I don't need to open it right away - not in too much of a hurry to play.)

If it doesn't come back up on Amazon, I'll just write it off as an early birthday gift (mine's later in March.) Lots of other games this month too, but I can hold off on Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite until they're cheaper and I have a better PC.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MLG this weekend is gonna be good hopefully.

I put my CE order in on Amazon like last September to complete my collection of blizzard CE's. I have them all and they look great together

Plus it shipped and is bringing my other orders that I ordered today with 2 day shipping so starcraft 2 is so good it's giving free overnight to other products I ordered

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I just remembered this was coming out and did a last minute pre-order through best buy... I'll need to wake up early and be on the bus asap.

thank you uncle for a fifty buck gift card from christmas. that LE will be mine!

njean777

So do you actually play as the zerg in this? Like the whole story? Cuz if so I may actually pick it up tomorrow, but if not then fuck it. I really only like the Zerg in the SC universe.

Valnen

Heading out to gamestop in a few minutes to wait for my CE, along with God of War. For some reason I haven't really been excited until this very moment.

calder

GJ blizz! :p

WTF is going on? I have the stream muted, but the lack of anything happening other than Star Crafts shorts is not a good sign.

They didn't try to use the 'restore from replay' shit did they? Because as GOM and everyone else has proven lately, it's not like a live-from-the-event sort of feature in its current form.

Svafnir

So do you actually play as the zerg in this? Like the whole story? Cuz if so I may actually pick it up tomorrow, but if not then fuck it. I really only like the Zerg in the SC universe.

Yes, it's a zerg campaign. There might be 1 or 2 side missions for terran or protoss, but thats it.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I might have missed it somewhere but is it possible to download HotS early? I'm not sure exactly how the update process works.

Esiquio

Time for you to blaze the trail yourself and see.

My friend is at the Irvine launch right now. Here's a picture of the PETA people:

Got me and him a Collector's Edition with no problem. I called two GameStops today and got laughed at, so that's nice. My WoL CE is signed by the dev team, too, so that's pretty sweet.

Stream has been cool but a little choppy, and sad to see the resume from replay feature broken.

League of legends is more competitive than DOTA 2 in both how it was constructed, and the fact that Dota 2 still has some imbalances, primarily, the map.
What you're saying is the complete opposite of what's the truth. Dota 2 was constructed to be competitive; while LoL is more accessible/friendly to newcomers.

Cels

it's not just imbalance. i just can't possibly comprehend how you came to the conclusion that LoL is a more competitive construct, when almost every design disparity from dota is either there to give lower skilled players an easier ride or to finger their wallets.

I wouldn't say LoL is more or less competitive by design. they have different design philosophies, and perhaps those may have effects on the complexity of the game, but I'd say both are primarily about working as a team within the ruleset rather than one being less competitive than the other. Both can be entertaining to watch.

DotA philosophy - many many mechanics to learn, counter OP stuff with more OP stuff. You probably don't know as much as you could about the game even after 50+ hours. Extremely difficult to get into.

LoL philosophy - DotA is a good game, but we want to make a different game. It's too confusing for new players. We want to make skills clear even if you haven't read the text, so new players have an easier time figuring out what enemies are doing to them. This means eliminating skills like Rupture and hero designs like Invoker. We'll also do away with things like the denying or last hitting of towers, secret shop, long lane/short lane, couriers, high ground, turn speed, runes on the map, buyback, multiple-unit control, or captain's pick mode. Instead, we'll add brush, more static objectives, put it on a smaller map

I'd say the main thing that holds back my desire to play LoL is their business decision to lock heroes except for a rotating free-to-play pool every week. It's working for them, so I can't knock it, but I look at dota 2 and I don't have to waste time unlocking heroes, which makes the game more attractive to me, on top of the differences that I outlined above.

njean777

I wouldn't say LoL is more or less competitive by design. they have different design philosophies, and perhaps those may have effects on the complexity of the game, but I'd say both are primarily about working as a team within the ruleset rather than one being less competitive than the other. Both can be entertaining to watch.

DotA philosophy - many many mechanics to learn, counter OP stuff with more OP stuff. You probably don't know as much as you could about the game even after 50+ hours. Extremely difficult to get into.

LoL philosophy - DotA is a good game, but we want to make a different game. It's too confusing for new players. We want to make skills clear even if you haven't read the text, so new players have an easier time figuring out what enemies are doing to them. This means eliminating skills like Rupture and hero designs like Invoker. We'll also do away with things like the denying or last hitting of towers, secret shop, long lane/short lane, couriers, high ground, turn speed, runes on the map, buyback, multiple-unit control, or captain's pick mode. Instead, we'll add brush, more static objectives, put it on a smaller map

I'd say the main thing that holds back my desire to play LoL is their business decision to lock heroes except for a rotating free-to-play pool every week. It's working for them, so I can't knock it, but I look at dota 2 and I don't have to waste time unlocking heroes, which makes the game more attractive to me, on top of the differences that I outlined above.

Not to take this thread even more off topic but tbh in LOL you usually find a set of about 3-5 champs that you play most of the time (one for each lane/jungle). No reason to have 95 champs from the start. Pick one that you think looks cool or plays like you like and learn them.

Proven

Not to take this thread even more off topic but tbh in LOL you usually find a set of about 3-5 champs that you play most of the time (one for each lane/jungle). No reason to have 95 champs from the start. Pick one that you think looks cool or plays like you like and learn them.

I don't play either, but you could do that with the game with 95 characters from the start. Just have about 10 set off as the beginner characters and you pick which looks cool/has the gameplay description you like best, and from there you'd figure out what other characters were similar or far away from it.

Vodh

I know it's a bit early, but based on available data I think |OT|2 should be 'Fewer things can be more satisfying than winning a ladder game.'

Xamdou

Region
Time Zone
Approximate Launch Time
Southeast Asia

Indochina Time (Bangkok)

8:01 p.m. March 11

Philippine Time (Manila)

9:01 p.m. March 11

Singapore Time

Australian Western Time (Perth)

Australian Eastern Time (Sydney)

12:01 a.m. March 12

New Zealand Standard Time

2:01 a.m. March 12

Korea and Taiwan

China Standard Time (Taiwan)

1:01 a.m. March 12

Korea Standard Time (Seoul)

EU

Moscow Standard Time

3:01 a.m. March 12

Eastern European Time (Athens)

South African Standard Time

Central European Time (Paris)

Greenwich Mean Time (London)

11:01 p.m. March 11

Americas

Brazil Standard Time (Sao Paulo)

4:01 a.m. March 12

Eastern Daylight Saving Time

3:01 a.m. March 12

Central Daylight Saving Time

Mountain Daylight Saving Time

Pacific Daylight Saving Time

Hawaii Standard Time

Source: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/8983616/Heart_of_the_Swarm_Live_Server_Times-3_8_2013

Top Bottom