• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

profit

Profit's replays HoTS edition!

A new expansion a new chance to improve myself and all of you can help!
For the people that have the time, I'll upload my replay and if you want you can watch and comment on it! Every bit of advice helps, no matter what skill you have in the game!

http://drop.sc/310031

Not going to comment too much about this one, I'm pretty rusty been a few weeks since I last played a competitive game and I was shaking at the end of it.
Only thing I will say BUILD ADDITIONAL SUPPLY DEPOTS PROFIT!

Oh btw, I encourage all of you to do the exact same thing I'm doing, especially you people who are afraid of laddering but still want to improve; uploading my replays to GAF has helped me tons and keeps me motivated even when I lose. It's fun when you learn stuff!

vilmer_

I'm definitely enjoying the campaign thus far. I haven't played Starcraft in over 2 years so it's a nice change of pace. Wish I didn't have to logout of battle net every time I want to watch a replay though, logging back in with an authenticator each time is a wee bit of a pain lol.

I'm definitely enjoying the campaign thus far. I haven't played Starcraft in over 2 years so it's a nice change of pace. Wish I didn't have to logout of battle net every time I want to watch a replay though, logging back in with an authenticator each time is a wee bit of a pain lol.

You should set the authenticator to only check once every few weeks (it'll also ask if it detects a change in IP address).

Chris R

Forge and cannon even easier :p

Doesn't help you when your opponent is going for defensive (well... only defensive because my timing was better) DTs! Had a guy just quit out of a game because all he had were 4 DTs and one sentry trying to expand so my little ragtag group of gateway units just rolled him with an observer :D

So do you guys think it was a good decision to release each campaign separately playing through Heart of the Swarm? Is it really a more flesh-out stand alone game?

Same thing, pretty much. Problem is that I finished in normal and found quite easy... if you want some challenge, avoid playing on normal.

Thanks. Sounds good.

Ya, I finished the first three missions on Normal, I'm about to restart on Hard. Normal is just too simple, you don't even have to try.

Eventually Brutal, but I don't want to deal with that frustration on my first time.

I stink at RTS. I'll probably enjoy normal more. Hope it isn't too easy for RTS noobs like myself.

Funny I still consider myself a noob even though I've been a fan of RTS for so many years. I just stink at resource managing and strategy even though they're a blast to play.

So do you guys think it was a good decision to release each campaign separately playing through Heart of the Swarm? Is it really a more flesh-out stand alone game?

Heart of the Swarm gave strong consistency to the Wings of Liberty campaign, even Brood War. And yes, sounds like a brand new game, despite being an expansion, and it plays very different from Wings of Liberty too.

Won

Completely forgot that I had the CE ordered for this. Man, i hate the box design they went with for this "trilogy". I guess I really like WoW pets. -.-

Tiamant

Raptors are so OP, you can roflstomp every mission with them if you know what you're doing.

Join all raptors in one spot, cast Kerrigan shield ability and watch your jumping zealots kill everything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So far, WoL-quality in the campaign. Frikkin' amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Profit's replays HoTS edition!

A new expansion a new chance to improve myself and all of you can help!
For the people that have the time, I'll upload my replay and if you want you can watch and comment on it! Every bit of advice helps, no matter what skill you have in the game!

http://drop.sc/310031

Not going to comment too much about this one, I'm pretty rusty been a few weeks since I last played a competitive game and I was shaking at the end of it.
Only thing I will say BUILD ADDITIONAL SUPPLY DEPOTS PROFIT!

Oh btw, I encourage all of you to do the exact same thing I'm doing, especially you people who are afraid of laddering but still want to improve; uploading my replays to GAF has helped me tons and keeps me motivated even when I lose. It's fun when you learn stuff!
Frikkin amazing man, I'll be watching your replays when I'm done with all the gimmicks!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You guys weren't kidding about the badly compressed videos for cutscenes instead of using the ingame engine like WoL.

Why Blizzard. Why?

Blizzard : "Because fuck you. That's why."

okay.jpg

antitrop

You guys weren't kidding about the badly compressed videos for cutscenes instead of using the ingame engine and personal config like WoL.

Why Blizzard. Why?

okay.jpg
I suppose this could be considered a plus for low-graphics settings users on low-end hardware.

I'm sure the compressed cutscenes look better than the in-engine on Low graphics.

Sucks for all of us that play on 2880x1660 Extreme settings, though. ;)

You guys weren't kidding about the badly compressed videos for cutscenes instead of using the ingame engine like WoL.

Why Blizzard. Why?

okay.jpg

I can't remember if the CE DVD that came with WoL had them less compressed or not. If so, that'll have me very slightly regretting canceling my HotS CE pre-order to get $10 off a standard copy on NewEgg. Then again, $55 difference.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I suppose this could be considered a plus for low-graphics settings users on low-end hardware.

I'm sure the compressed cutscenes look better than the in-engine on Low graphics.

I get that, but they could at least have made the videos look, oh i don't know, not compressed? :(

I don't think it's shit, but I can understand the complaints. SC (especially with Brood War) started out as something more akin to 40k's grimdark cheese, with face-eating aliens and terrible betrayals and the ever-present prospect of ultimate extinction.

Now it's shifted to more of your standard space opera type cheese, with romance and rescue and revenge.

Or to put it slightly differently: in the old games, you were frequently fighting a losing battle, and things mostly got worse rather than better, until finally reaching victory at the end. In WoL (and apparently in HotS as well), you keep winning minor victory after minor victory, and things mostly get better, until the final victory feels almost inevitable.

Frankly I'm tired of grimdark, grimdark is a cliche now that bore me. I actually find the classical space opera stories more refreshing.

Tacitus_

Seemed to have better animation as well. Maybe some other effects since they felt a lot smoother somehow than the ones in WoL.

antitrop

If you finish a mission while the Achievement service is down, will they automatically unlock properly once it comes back up, or will you have to replay the mission?

exactly. They look amazing on my poor mbp haha

Lime

I have a question: Is the UI still the same Terrain UI as in WoL? Isn't it going to be a Zerg UI instead? Like how SC1 had different types of UI?

minhacknb0.jpg

If you finish a mission while the Achievement service is down, will they automatically unlock properly once it comes back up, or will you have to replay the mission?

I'd like to know this as well, but probably the latter :<. I'm holding off playing any more for now.

As for the in-game pre-rendered cutscenes, ugh. Blizzard really needs to allow an option for people to download higher quality video files if they want, fuck the sizes. Diablo 3 cinematics were god awful pixelated shit.

antitrop

I should finish Starcraft 2 and get this huh? How is it for a casual SC player that does single player and plays bots for the hell of it?
I'm only 4 missions in on Hard, but so far it is impressing the hell out of me. I want to play more, but I'm not going to bother until I know whether the 'Chievos will unlock or not.

Dialogue is terrible as ever, but the actual mission design is very engaging and varied. Cutscenes, despite being pre-rendered compressed videos, are still as amazing as always.

alba

Little is the new Big
Huge thanks to Keikaku for being a generous soul :) I can't wait to hop into SP later tonight and get back into mp, it's been a little while.

Not only have achievements been unstable, but I lost all the experience from my second AI battle, and it keeps telling me I unlocked the Initiate decal.

lol wut.

I started SC2 for the first time in a while to beat the campaign and there is s 5+ gig download. Is this normal.

Edit: 5.74 US gigabytes

Hmm seems to be a suprising number of diamond/masters in silver atm heh. I guess the MMR is just sorting itself out. Oh and I promised myself I wouldn't moan but....widow mines. I don't have the spare apm to deal with that shit, I'm only a lowly gold league zerg.

Top Bottom