• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The fuck did this Terran player just do to me?

I followed the training missions but they never said anything about a rival Terran being able to put fucking mines in my base constantly harassing me with missiles.
A new cheese is born.

HoodWinked

fV88xM0.png

hes playing broodwar.

JLeack

Banned
Freakin' stuck at work reading about this expansion. I seriously can't wait to hop on and enjoy the "garbage writing" from Metzen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Perfect for me all day, no problems on NA.

Yoshichan has been mentioning problems with Achievements, but I don't think he's from the US.
EU, yeah.

kmag

You know I've come to kinda enjoy the writing in WoL and no doubt in HoTS. It's trashy nonsense which shits on the original games but once you accept that, it's moderately entertaining. There's a great drinking game to be had.

Chris R

I'll be lucky to have my copy by this time next week... fuck. Hate when Amazon uses Parcel Pool, they NEVER get things to me earlier than expected, where UPS/Fedex/ect will almost always get stuff to me 2nd day even with normal shipping.

antitrop

You know I've come to kinda enjoy the writing in WoL and no doubt in HoTS. It's trashy nonsense which shits on the original games but once you accept that, it's moderately entertaining. There's a great drinking game to be had.
I think people hold the writing of the original game to a higher standard than it's worth.
Metzen may have become a bit more lazy and creatively bankrupt over the last 15 years, but SC2 is still pretty much in line with the overall quality of the original.

We just loved it at the time because it was fucking MIND BLOWING to have an actual plot, narrative, and named-character dialogue mid-mission in a real time strategy game.

I think the fact that StarCraft 1 didn't take itself as painfully seriously as StarCraft 2 goes along way towards being very accepting of the dialogue in SC1. I'll give it that.

kmag

I think people hold the writing of the original game to a higher standard than it's worth.

Metzen may have become a bit more lazy and creatively bankrupt over the last 15 years, but SC2 is still pretty much in line with the overall quality of the original.

We just loved it at the time because it was fucking MIND BLOWING to have an actual plot, narrative, and named-character dialogue mid-mission in a real time strategy game.

It's more the stealth reconning of various parts for the drama which craps on the original game.

Robin64

So I placed in Bronze (I swear 4 of my 5 matches were against insane people) but the emblem has a bit of silver on it. Wonder if that means, "Hey, you're not completely shit!"

V_Arnold

Damn it, the first three missions gave me so much CRINGE

I cant even contain it....
Cant control it.

Damn it. I hope Metzen got every bullshit stuff out of his system in these cutscenes, and he gets real
Okay, Kerrigan+Zergling scene was COOL :)

I don't know, I thought the moral ambuiguity of the character actions and political backstabbing in SC1/BW made it that much more interesting than the Drunkard looking for Damsel-in-Distress MacGuffin we got in SC2. Maybe the smaller budget and less amount of cutscenes in SC1 veiled the cheesy writing, but I would definitely say that SC1's character and plot were much better thanks to their complexity than SC2's Saturday morning cartoon simplicity.

Who wrote the SC/BW story? I know Metzen had a hand in it, but it's impossible that he was the lead or anything since he not only retcons it constantly, it's far beyond what he seems capable of.

Blizzard story has been tending towards garbage since Warcraft 3 (which was not quite so bad yet).

Or rather, I should say SC/BW is more the exception than the norm by far. It's pretty head and shoulders beyond almost everything else they did, since neither D1 nor D2 has a particularly detailed or great story- there are good cutscenes in D2, but as a whole the story is just a string of retrieve X Y & Z to unlock doors. And Warcraft 2 was pretty bare-bones.

When's the review embargo lifted for this game? Maybe next week?

Sarcasm since the game is out! >_<

Blizzard didn't give any reviewers a chance to play the game before hand. They didn't want the backlash of the awesome scores diablo got coupled with maybe servers possibly going down and all of the metacritic rages.

Also... as a long time Starcraft fan who bought the original on day 1.... Anyone that truly believes that SC1/BW's story was good either doesn't read many good books/plays games with good stories or hasn't played it lately and relying on what they remember about it.

Kerrigan manages to trick the same people over and over again into trusting her... Raynor falls in love with Kerrigan over the course of 3 or 4 missions... How many times did we have Jimmy boy end up in cliff hanger situations only to always come up on top off screen and reappear to save the day just in the nick of time?

I will agree on one thing though... New kerrigan VA is terrible and it's doubley insulting since the entire WoL campaign had her original VA do the lines only to be replaced by garbage mid-way through. If they hadn't have kept Clotsworthy as Raynor, I wouldn't have even bought the game...

Starcraft 1 and 2's storylines are just campy and you have to expect it's campy and instead of nit picking it, just role and enjoy it. Or you can simply skip the cut scenes and enjoy the campaign maps... or skip campaign entirely and play multiplayer... or skip the game entirely if none of that interests you.

Proc

Just paid so much more than necessary to play heart of the swarm but my body could not resist.

OadIfN7l.jpg

Game files are optimizing now...cannot wait.

antitrop

Yes, once LotV comes out I will proudly display all three CEs next to each other.

They really look fantastic, a great style to them. Diablo III's was similar, as well.

How big is this game size wise?

My StarCraft II folder is 13.9GB. If you're asking how many campaign missions there are, it's a few under Wings of Liberty (~20).

Lime

Who wrote the SC/BW story? I know Metzen had a hand in it, but it's impossible that he was the lead or anything since he not only retcons it constantly, it's far beyond what he seems capable of.

Chris Metzen and James Phinney

Blizzard story has been tending towards garbage since Warcraft 3 (which was not quite so bad yet).

I agree.

Slayerx

Blizzard didn't give any reviewers a chance to play the game before hand. They didn't want the backlash of the awesome scores diablo got coupled with maybe servers possibly going down and all of the metacritic rages.

They do it for every single game, including original Starcraft 2 and every WoW expansion...............

I think Metzen's writing responsibilities are proof that a company should be cautious of stagnant, incestuous, nepotist relationships with their veteran employees.

Unless the first 3 missions are an aberration of what we've seen of dialogue, cutscenes, leaked endings, etc., then all your credibility was flushed down the toilet with that post.

Or maybe I can realize I was in middle school when I played SC1 and I can enjoy the story for what it is.

Lime

Or maybe I can realize I was in middle school when I played SC1 and I can enjoy the story for what it is.

Sorry if I came across as hostile. It's just that "great" is not something I would call what I've seen of HOTS singleplayer story, regardless of its ambitions to be cheesy pulp. But maybe we just operate with different definitions of "great" :)

Yes, once LotV comes out I will proudly display all three CEs next to each other.

They really look fantastic, a great style to them. Diablo III's was similar, as well.

My StarCraft II folder is 13.9GB. If you're asking how many campaign missions there are, it's a few under Wings of Liberty (~20).
no I just meant the file size. So if both games amount to 13.9 then damn this game is huge, I expected smaller because of it being an expansion.

They do it for every single game, including original Starcraft 2 and every WoW expansion...............

It's like you read what I wrote, but you didn't. Diablo 3 was the last major game released by Blizzard and reviewers were given early access for reviewing purposes. The game got lots of 9.0+ before release which generated in massive hype, which killed servers, which pissed off a ton of customers.

Compared to Diablo 3, HotS launch has been REALLY low key. I haven't seen a single TV ad, youtube marketing has been relatively low (only a few hype videos and a trailer), and overall it just feels like Bliz wanted to keep HotS low key at launch to try and not kill their servers.

antitrop

no I just meant the file size. So if both games amount to 13.9 then damn this game is huge, I expected smaller because of it being an expansion.

That also counts all my saved replays and downloaded Use Map Settings maps, so size may vary.

I think HOTS is something like ~5GB. But that's a pretty rough guess.

I've been owned by that strat a couple times. Now I just make sure to build an Observer relatively early. Are there any other decent counters?

Scout. Look at the units they have at certain times, if they're not building units, if they haven't expanded they're saving for something. Probably a proxy with DTs, Void or something similar.

Paches

It's like you read what I wrote, but you didn't. Diablo 3 was the last major game released by Blizzard and reviewers were given early access for reviewing purposes. The game got lots of 9.0+ before release which generated in massive hype, which killed servers, which pissed off a ton of customers.

Compared to Diablo 3, HotS launch has been REALLY low key. I haven't seen a single TV ad, youtube marketing has been relatively low (only a few hype videos and a trailer), and overall it just feels like Bliz wanted to keep HotS low key at launch to try and not kill their servers.

Don't act is if there wasn't massive hype before reviews came out.

antitrop

Ya, I finished the first three missions on Normal, I'm about to restart on Hard. Normal is just too simple, you don't even have to try.

Eventually Brutal, but I don't want to deal with that frustration on my first time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Wait. What? Did you miss last night?

Slayerx

Did they? I was not aware, I thought they only previewed the game at their event for press and fansites. No review was up before the game released.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The campaign is really, really good.

I mean just think of some of the cool story beats and cosmetic touches in Starcraft - the awesome little black comedy with Lester and the zergling; the smart little bit that plays on Mengsk as a rebel against a nasty Confederacy, and then it turns out he's a cynical little tyrant himself; the speech Mengsk gives when he comes into power; the injured Dragoon bit. There's quite a lot of memorable stuff there.

And Brood War is even better, despite some plot holes. I really think Brood War is a fantastic story, probably the best of any of the many RTS I've played (yes, even Homeworld). The way the stodgy and dogmatic Aldaris turns out to be surprisingly prescient, while all the more open-minded characters have the wool pulled over their eyes, and get played by Kerrigan. The way Kerrigan's hold over Razhagal is left somewhat open-ended and unresolved, and not ruined by ham-fisted over-exposition. Stukov v. Dugalle is a great conflict- even if the UED themselves are kinda out of place, and are treated more as a plot device than as a real faction. Fenix's death is brilliant. Kerrigan is appropriately smart and manipulative. The ending is rather bleak and, even for the victorious Kerrigan, decidedly downbeat.

Or just think of Raynor's original character design. A fairly young balding man with a pencil moustache. Whereas the new 'rugged' Raynor design is a great symbol of everything that's kind of stupid about Starcraft 2's story.

Top Bottom