• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, the achievements situation kinda sucks if one's planning to go through the campaign right now. Finished "Shoot the Messenger" and didn't get anything for it because the system is down for the moment.

antitrop

Yeah, the achievements situation kinda sucks if one's planning to go through the campaign right now. Finished "Shoot the Messenger" and didn't get anything for it because the system is down for the moment.
Fuck it, I'll watch Destiny ladder for the first time in months.

Ecto311

But does the save that you have trigger the achievement when the server comes back? If you earn it, it should be registered and show up without having to do it again right?

FluxWaveZ

But does the save that you have trigger the achievement when the server comes back? If you earn it, it should be registered and show up without having to do it again right?

No, that's not how it works. When the system goes down, it even notifies you that achievements cannot be obtained until it goes back up again.

Or wait, you mean if I kept a separate save during the mission? Yeah, that would work, but I didn't. There are also other achievements not related to missions, so I wouldn't want to be managing saves for everything.

Is anyone having problems logging in. When I start the game it says enter your battlenet name but the connect button is grayed out (can`t click on it)

Ecto311

No, that's not how it works. When the system goes down, it even notifies you that achievements cannot be obtained until it goes back up again.

Or wait, you mean if I kept a separate save during the mission? Yeah, that would work, but I didn't. There are also other achievements not related to missions, so I wouldn't want to be managing saves for everything.

So if I earn something while its down I have to do it again to get it to show up? I thought it would save on my hard drive that I did something then show up later that I had it. Not a big deal but I think ill wait a bit for the single player when the service is up and down like it is right now.

windz

The game is pretty good at keeping auto saves. If you go into load and go under auto saves you almost always have a saved game at X mission victory, and I just started and there's one for the first mission a minute before I won. When achievement server comes up, just re-load your spot there and complete. I assume this would work.

derder

Is there a video I can watch to catch on the campaign from the original game? I haven't touched it since I beat it at launch and don't remember shit.

FluxWaveZ

The game is pretty good at keeping auto saves. If you go into load and go under auto saves you almost always have a saved game at X mission victory, and I just started and there's one for the first mission a minute before I won. When achievement server comes up, just re-load your spot there and complete. I assume this would work.

System seems to be back up, but it's just that there are odd achievements like talking to a character a certain number of times that are outside of missions, so saving before you did anything would be a pain.

Missed watching Destiny, is he still allowed to play copyrighted music? I remember him getting letters off some record company saying that people only come to his stream to listen to free music... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Used to watch him a lot.

My first opponent.

Wvs1Cmh.jpg

antitrop

Missed watching Destiny, is he still allowed to play copyrighted music? I remember him getting letters off some record company saying that people only come to his stream to listen to free music... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Used to watch him a lot.

One time he made a joke that the owner of the copyright of Nujabees sent him a letter demanding a portion of his streaming revenue.

He has never altered his playlist out of anything other than personal preference.

One time he made a joke that the owner of the copyright of Nujabees sent him a letter demanding a portion of his streaming revenue.

He has never altered his playlist out of anything other than personal preference.
Ah maybe I tuned in at the wrong time or something.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Total idiotic question incoming but I've read conflicting responses on the net. My Internet speed has been nerfed by my ISP (thanks Virgin Media) which means this game would take hours to download from Blizzard's servers. I'm thinking of picking up the disc version of Heart of the Swarm tomorrow to marathon the campaign tomorrow night.

Here's my stupid question: do I need Wings of Liberty to play this? I had it installed on a previous machine but the game's not on this one. I don't have a copy on hand (meaning I would have to buy it again; however cheap it may be used). If I buy HOTS tomorrow and install it from the disc will it play on a machine without WOL?

I'm certain this may have already been answered but this thread is becoming a monolith. I would appreciate an honest and accurate response to this. I really don't want to buy the game and come home without the ability to start the campaign.

Anyone?

Keikaku

I have a question: Is the UI still the same Terrain UI as in WoL? Isn't it going to be a Zerg UI instead? Like how SC1 had different types of UI?
It's very definitely a Zerg UI.

Also, I'm still getting achievements and Cloaken said on Reddit that they're having issues in EU only.

Total idiotic question incoming but I've read conflicting responses on the net. My Internet speed has been nerfed by my ISP (thanks Virgin Media) which means this game would take hours to download from Blizzard's servers. I'm thinking of picking up the disc version of Heart of the Swarm tomorrow to marathon the campaign tomorrow night.

Here's my stupid question: do I need Wings of Liberty to play this? I had it installed on a previous machine but the game's not on this one. I don't have a copy on hand (meaning I would have to buy it again; however cheap it may be used). If I buy HOTS tomorrow and install it from the disc will it play on a machine without WOL?

I'm certain this may have already been answered but this thread is becoming a monolith. I would appreciate an honest and accurate response to this. I really don't want to buy the game and come home without the ability to start the campaign.

Anyone?

It says on the box you need WOL. but I don`t know if that just means you have to have an account tied to it or not.

ultron87

I realize I'm not opening any new ground here, but ugh this plot is the worst.
"Like oh my god, I totes gotta find Jim cuz I luv him forevah."

Keikaku

Anyone?
This is straight from the Blizzard website:
For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm. Further details (and bundles that contain both games at a discount) can be found on the Heart of the Swarm product page.

zlatko

Banned
Not sure, you can still progress through the campaign though. Any achievements you get while the achievement service is down won't count though.

Blah. I'm guessing they won't have a fix that will unlock the achievements/awards later if you already obtained them forcing us to get them again ?

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
I'm really surprised that more people aren't up in arms on the forums about the low res cut scenes and forced prerendered in engine cut scenes.

Does changing the "Movies" Setting to high even do anything in the video menu? I did a quick comparison, and I can't tell the difference. Both look like DVD rips.

wtf

windz

System seems to be back up, but it's just that there are odd achievements like talking to a character a certain number of times that are outside of missions, so saving before you did anything would be a pain.

Sounds like it's more of a hassle than anything. And most games keep a finite number of auto saves so if I get too far (which I will) I will probably just have to replay through it again. Not that it's a problem, I assume I will play thru this campaign twice to complete all achieves and just for fun, but it would just be silly to finish on brutal then go back and get those off-ball achievements I missed on easier difficulties. So far most of the achievements is complete X on normal...blizzy pls.

Keikaku

I'm really surprised that more people aren't up in arms on the forums about the low res cut scenes and forced prerendered in engine cut scenes.

Does changing the "Movies" Setting to high even do anything in the video menu? I did a quick comparison, and I can't tell the difference. Both look like DVD rips.

wtf
The movies setting affects the CG movies. As for the cutscenes, I don't personally find them to be bad. Sorry to hear that it bothers you though.

Ecto311

wtf

It looks fine to me and I am playing with everything on ultra on 1080p monitor.

Sorian

Banned

wtf

It is bullshit but it sounds like the movies are being streamed from Blizzard's servers or something? I believe thats why that loading Mb/Mb pops up in the lower right hand corner before cutscenes.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
The movies setting affects the CG movies. As for the cutscenes, I don't personally find them to be bad. Sorry to hear that it bothers you though.

That's what I'm referring to mostly. The CG movies setting does nothing in terms of setting High or Normal. Toggled it on and off to no effect. Same with a few of my friends. I'm running everything at ultra.

I guess I'll just have to re-watch them all again on blu ray or something.

I actually tweeted at totalbiscuit and he responded: "yup, can see the artifacts very easily"

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
It is bullshit but it sounds like the movies are being streamed from Blizzard's servers or something? I believe thats why that loading Mb/Mb pops up in the lower right hand corner before cutscenes.

Omg if that's the case then ugh..... They look like 480p h264, so that doesn't surprise me if that ends up being the case.

jackdoe

It's obvious why they went the pre-rendered in-engine route. To ensure that lower spec computers can get better looking cutscenes. Unfortunately, it looks awful compared to what can be done real time on a higher spec computer. It's definitely distracting, especially when I'm playing a crisp and clear game that suddenly transitions to a vaseline covered FMV.

Nome

I think that's some sort of data streaming. You'll see it for multiplayer maps without movies as well.

Top Bottom