• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Lime

So they intentionally write this like a bad 80's action flick?

Chris Metzen got rich, complacent, became senior-vice president, probably have a lot of yes-people around him, got kids and after watching Avatar: The Last Airbender he somehow realized that all his writing should mimic child cartoons.

Yet I've seen child cartoons with better writing than SC2.

GAWD the writing in this is so cheesy and self-indulgent. the whole forced jim-sarah romance is straight out of a fucking soap opera, it makes bioware romances look oscar-worthy by comparison

can blizzard please fire chris metzen already?

I knew it wouldn't last long for the "it's cool to hate" crowd to show up and start bitching about this. Just play the game further, this isn't the focus of the plot.

Striek

Just finished the campaign.

Dumb story (I fucking hated it tbh), dumber characteristion, the missions pretty much universally felt weaker than WoL, the inter-mission stuff felt cheaper, and to top it off no new challenge missions to do. Yet it was still quite fun.

zlatko

Banned
Did a few missions and some the three training missions in the MP tab. Was able to hit level 3 zerg easily doing those 3 missions so it was worth it for my fancy new purple zergling display picture. ;)

So far having fun. Been over a year or more since I've dabbled in some SC2 goodness. Going to just do 5 6 pools tomorrow to see where I land for my league lol. :D

sixghost

Where can I find 3 builds to learn if I want to play random? Or can someone recommend one for each race. Going 1 for each matchup seems like a bit overkill for now.

It would probably serve you better to play each race for a week or two, then start going random. The matchups are too different to use the same build.

sixghost

Are there any specific settings that are known to reduce framerate significantly? Everything is as high as it'll go, but it drops to 40ish fps at times. I'd like to keep it above 60 if possible.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Campaign story is very cringe worthy especially the first few scenes with Jim and Kerrigan. But at the very least, the game is still damn fun to play.

Did a few missions and some the three training missions in the MP tab. Was able to hit level 3 zerg easily doing those 3 missions so it was worth it for my fancy new purple zergling display picture. ;)

So far having fun. Been over a year or more since I've dabbled in some SC2 goodness. Going to just do 5 6 pools tomorrow to see where I land for my league lol. :D

I don't support cheesing your way up the ladder. Reason is that if you cheese your way up then you are stuck doing that forever if you want to win because right when you stop you will be facing players better than you and will constantly lose, creating a very depressing situation for yourself. Happened to me.

fallagin

Spoiler for later in the campaign:

It's so weird that
mutalisks turn into brood lords. I know they originally turned into guardians, but there are actual guardians on the jungle stage that shoot air units and where are the corruptors? Not even acknowledge(at the point I am at). Why do you have to choose between brood lord and viper?? Is this thing even canon bro?

Campaign story is very cringe worthy especially the first few scenes with Jim and Kerrigan. But at the very least, the game is still damn fun to play.

Gets slightly more bearable after the 3rd mission. The opening dialogue is the worst I encountered so far. But I'm only a few missions in.

Placement matches not going well. 0-2 First guy was consistent high Diamond leaguer, it wasn't even really a game though he let it last awhile, I didn't feel so bad. Second match I probably could have won if I had any ability to control my army. Oh well. I guess I should work on my mechanics before I go for round 3.

Just finished the campaign.

Dumb story (I fucking hated it tbh), dumber characteristion, the missions pretty much universally felt weaker than WoL, the inter-mission stuff felt cheaper, and to top it off no new challenge missions to do. Yet it was still quite fun.

If there's something HotS outmanage completely WoL are the missions. WoL had a lot of useless, filler missions who adds nothing to the overall plot (Dr. Ariel Hanson? Tosh?) and slowed down the story's pacing. HotS missions, with some very few exceptions, are great. Saying WoL missions are universally better than HotS is not accurate by any means of imagination.

Striek

Spoiler for later in the campaign:

It's so weird that
mutalisks turn into brood lords. I know they originally turned into guardians, but there are actual guardians on the jungle stage that shoot air units and where are the corruptors? Not even acknowledge(at the point I am at). Why do you have to choose between brood lord and viper?? Is this thing even canon bro?

Its just lazy writing to explain the units they want the player to have and particularly why you don't have all units from the start.
Agathur says something like "the corruptor essence is lost and can't be reconstitued, the mutalisk will have to serve as the base for the brood lord
. None of the
having to choose between strains
really makes sense.

If there's something HotS outmanage completely WoL is the missions. WoL had a lot of useless, filler missions who adds nothing to the overall plot (Dr. Ariel Hanson? Tosh?) and slowed down the story's pacing. HotS missions, with some very few exceptions, are great. Saying WoL missions are universally better than HotS is not accurate by any means of imagination.

Its accurate by my imagination. They felt cheaper, less well designed. I'm talking about the actual gameplay, so stuff like the Tosh/Ariel story being useless in WoL doesn't matter. Those missions were better designed and more fun to play than their HoTS equivalents.

My gaming setup at the moment:

4zI2kGJ.jpg

Max Keyboard Nighthawk-X8 Green Backlit Mechanical Keyboard
Razer Naga 2012 mouse
SteelSeries QcK+ mousepad
M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers
Feit Electric ESL13T/G 13-Watt Compact Fluorescent Mini Twist Bulb (60-Watt Incandescent Equivalent), Green
LEGO Star Wars Set #8099 Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer

Its accurate by my imagination. They felt cheaper, less well designed. I'm talking about the actual gameplay, so stuff like the Tosh/Ariel story being useless in WoL doesn't matter. Those missions were better designed and more fun to play than their HoTS equivalents.

I didn't found WoL missions more fun to play than HotS and didn't felt they were cheaper and less well designed, so I disagree with you. Anyway, this line of logic is totally subjective.

fallagin

Its just lazy writing to explain the units they want the player to have and particularly why you don't have all units from the start.
Agathur says something like "the corruptor essence is lost and can't be reconstitued, the mutalisk will have to serve as the base for the brood lord
. None of the
having to choose between strains
really makes sense.

Oh i totally missed him saying that. Anyways though i would actually be fine with
getting rid of corruptors and going back to mutalisks>brood lord in multiplayer

Well, I have completed 12 Missions (last mission was Supreme) and it feels like I am being led by the hand through the campaign. So far it's ok, not bad and not great.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
just played unranked to air out the fingers a little.

there are levels of bad that even bronze league cannot comprehend.

Finished the story, was too predictable (If you seen the first trailer you will know whats going to happen) and really didn't open the story up much at all, and I don't even want to go into the writing, god awful.

I had a lot of fun though, thank god for the gameplay, and I really liked the options the game gives you with your zerg.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
just played unranked to air out the fingers a little.

there are levels of bad that even bronze league cannot comprehend.

:( I hate this.

when ever I played in bronze back on WoL i had players who knew strats.

like not once did i have a player start by building 5 supply depots like other people did.

it was always supply depot, then usually 2 rax or 1 rax into expand

My comp handled WoL on Medium settings perfectly. Now it can't handle it though, have to play on low. Don't get it. Any ideas on customizing it?

Also, my power is out tonight, but man, I was having a blast with the campaign. I agree that they make the play style a lot different than WoL.

My comp handled WoL on Medium settings perfectly. Now it can't handle it though, have to play on low. Don't get it. Any ideas on customizing it?

Also, my power is out tonight, but man, I was having a blast with the campaign. I agree that they make the play style a lot different than WoL.

Getting similar issues. Its straining my card pretty hard. PC running noticeably hotter and performance slightly worse compared to WoL.

Keikaku

I just realized that I used the region change text file hack on my WoL and that's the last setting BNet has. I've been playing (and losing) against Koreans. Guess it was another guy called Pkm then....

I'm 2-2 now, heading into my last match. Wish me luck GAF!

calder

I'm enjoying the campaign, but it's no WoL to me. Frankly I think a big part of it is I struggle to really "like" playing as zerg, BW was the same for me. Terran and Protoss are just both natural fits for me, but zerg is like a playstyle just different enough that I can never really be comfortable. And why oh why do I ALWAYS get hypnotized spreading creep? I have that shit *everywhere* by the time I'm ready to let a mission end, which means all the timed missions kind of irritate me by preventing my creep OCD

I just realized that I used the region change text file hack on my WoL and that's the last setting BNet has. I've been playing (and losing) against Koreans. Guess it was another guy called Pkm then....

I'm 2-2 now, heading into my last match. Wish me luck GAF!

GL. What league were you in WoL and what you hoping to get into now?

With achievements working again, I'm still working on the WoL campaign. I got the Zeratul and Artifact missions done, now I'm trying to finish up on the Adjutant arc.

Also, I'm a LV 4 Protoss.

Wunder

I was Platinum with Terran and Zerg, hoping to get into Diamond in the first couple of seasons.

Just got placed into Silver. Rank 1 and I'm definitely rusty but it feels bad man :(

Don't worry I was Diamond in WoL and Plat in the beta and I got placed into Silver going 3-2 in placements. Give it some time, if you aren't meant to be there you'll get bumped up to Gold and above in no time.

Keikaku

Don't worry I was Diamond in WoL and Plat in the beta and I got placed into Silver going 3-2 in placements. Give it some time, if you aren't meant to be there you'll get bumped up to Gold and above in no time.
No, I'm definitely meant to be in Silver now. I'm floating well over 1K and my macro and general mechanics are shit.

Luckily, GAF night should be back on so I can get some tips from all the helpful GAFfers. I know we have an EU clan but is there a KR one?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Chris Metzen got rich, complacent, became senior-vice president, probably have a lot of yes-people around him, got kids and after watching Avatar: The Last Airbender he somehow realized that all his writing should mimic child cartoons.

Yet I've seen child cartoons with better writing than SC2.

The writing in Avatar is far better than anything Metzen has put out...ever.

So clearly that cant be it.

Top Bottom