• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Boken

Banned
this roach evolution of slowing as/ms seems too imba, why wouldn't you get this shit lol

then again the other one seems good too, this is a hard one unlike the zergling one
Yo do I have you on bnet?

Baby roaches can tank shots all day, who needs as debuffs

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wanna play... :(!!

Son1x

So I just finished the campaign. Liked it a lot more than WoL. Both story and missions were better. Former was far from being great, but it wasn't a disaster like its predecessor.

Tacitus_

this roach evolution of slowing as/ms seems too imba, why wouldn't you get this shit lol

then again the other one seems good too, this is a hard one unlike the zergling one

I didnt even use roaches in the campaign. Jumping lings and blings all day every day. Saturate your base, plop down a couple of macro hatches and just run the paintrain to the other end of the map. Hydras for support.

StayDead

I didnt even use roaches in the campaign. Jumping lings and blings all day every day. Saturate your base, plop down a couple of macro hatches and just run the paintrain to the other end of the map. Hydras for support.

I'm playing the campaign still and my army is always hydra/lurker/ling (swarmling) and sometimes Mutas. It's exactly how I played the SC1 and BW zerg campaign and I love it.

I'm a Terran player normally though.

f0rk

I tried just building Hydras but they are quite fragile so now I've been mixing in the poison Roaches as well and it works good with the Roaches slowing attacks and taking hits.

StayDead

I've honestly not found (unless against a collosus) the hydras to be all that fragile. Even in Multiplayer where I've seen zergs make more roaches than hydras I get so confused as Hydras damage output is soo much higher and they're not all that weak when taking damage either, especially with blinding cloud now.

In campaign though
I love the mission where you get the infestors as I basically spent the entire game infesting every single mech unit I could, I had like 20 vessels in the end <333

that makes me sick

sounds stupid

they dont auto target changelings, do they?

Zerglings always the first to cry balance.

Also, why don't they state the achievements for the mission in the mission preview before the mission itself instead of just after? I hate missing out on achievements I could have done if I had known about them.

Neki

kerrigan's evolution that increases hp by 200 and as by 100% is so good on zerglings, my god

mbmonk

Damn the authenticator. I got a new phone and didnt realize I needed to deactivate my authenticator first or whatever and now I am locked out of my account. On top of that Blizzard doesnt send emails out very fast to fix this shit. What was supposed to protect my account has now become a hassle :/

That sucks. I hope you get it straighten out. :(

So its official that the dialogue is embarrassing, cringe worthy, and vomit inducing. It's so much worse than WoL.

As long as Jim and Kerrigan aren't the subject of dialog it is alright. When they are it is the worst though. There are some stupid cheesy one liners here and there but I mind that far less than corny love plots.

Is the Raynor/Kerrigan romance a complete retcon from SC1? I mean they were in a few missions together and there were a few flirty lines but they never actually had a relationship or anything? I remember Kerrigan rebuffing his flirtations.

So its official that the dialogue is embarrassing, cringe worthy, and vomit inducing. It's so much worse than WoL.

I can't believe it. They really did it. They turned Starcraft into a cheesy hollywood love story.

Is the Raynor/Kerrigan romance a complete retcon from SC1? I mean they were in a few missions together and there were a few flirty lines but they never actually had a relationship or anything? I remember Kerrigan rebuffing his flirtations.

Of course it is.

SC1 Raynor: "Kerrigan, I will be the one that kills you."
SC2 Raynor: "I never gave up on you Sarah, don't give up on us."

I get that Raynor did not expect to have the chance to change Kerrigan back to a human (probably because he didn't expect Metzen's writing quality to deteriorate to the point where that would happen). But the romance aspect is completely a 180 for both characters. There was no romance in SC1, Raynor hit on Kerrigan a couple of times and felt really bad that Mengsk fucked her over.

It completely ruins the impact of the first game and the betrayals Raynor faced. It makes him look like an extremely weak character, and there is no vengeance for heroes like Fenix who went down putting their trust in Raynor and Kerrigan. Can't stand the guy anymore.

Thank god the game is fun because the writing makes me want to blow my brains out every 5 minutes.

Tacitus_

kerrigan's evolution that increases hp by 200 and as by 100% is so good on zerglings, my god

Need to experiment more with that. I used the spawn blings and since I had them with the jump evolution they almost always connected. Then crush a bunker or a tank and the lings had almost free reign. Though firebats creamed them so maybe the buff is better.

The writing in Naruto is practically better.

Ok not really, but still.

SC2 melodrama is worse than Naruto's. Probably due to the fact that it is in Japanese though. Naruto's writing is only cringe worthy when Naruto starts to get himself worked up about how he going to keep all his "promises" and become the best ninja ever and all that kiddy jazz.

Avatar Last Airbender writing is brilliant. The show was just too awesome.

Son1x

Need to experiment more with that. I used the spawn blings and since I had them with the jump evolution they almost always connected. Then crush a bunker or a tank and the lings had almost free reign. Though firebats creamed them so maybe the buff is better.

I really like the variety in single player, it will make replaying them a lot more fun.

I also used that buff. Used it on my front units and went in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dat Kerrigan buff is downright op

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As long as Jim and Kerrigan aren't the subject of dialog it is alright. When they are it is the worst though. There are some stupid cheesy one liners here and there but I mind that far less than corny love plots.

"Like riding a bike."

Mr Swine

Banned
I can't believe it. They really did it. They turned Starcraft into a cheesy hollywood love story.

Of course it is.

SC1 Raynor: "Kerrigan, I will be the one that kills you."
SC2 Raynor: "I never gave up on you Sarah, don't give up on us."

I get that Raynor did not expect to have the chance to change Kerrigan back to a human (probably because he didn't expect Metzen's writing quality to deteriorate to the point where that would happen). But the romance aspect is completely a 180 for both characters. There was no romance in SC1, Raynor hit on Kerrigan a couple of times and felt really bad that Mengsk fucked her over.

It completely ruins the impact of the first game and the betrayals Raynor faced. It makes him look like an extremely weak character, and there is no vengeance for heroes like Fenix who went down putting their trust in Raynor and Kerrigan. Can't stand the guy anymore.

Thank god the game is fun because the writing makes me want to blow my brains out every 5 minutes.

Well Mengsk said in Hots in Zerus that since Kerrigan has changed back to her old self Raynor was going to be the first one that would kill her...

Proc

Some of you guys are hard to impress lol. I'm having tons of fun with the campaign so far. It's just gravy for the already addictive multiplayer. The missions thus far are creative and fun. Not to mention the community element where I'm constantly pinging my friends over bnet about missions and upgrades. All of the criticisms about the story seem valid but I'm personally enjoying the ride with the beautiful cutscenes and decent voice acting. That opening cinematic melted my face.

twelver

"Like riding a bike."

Stop!!

Some of you guys are hard to impress lol. I'm having tons of fun with the campaign so far. It's just gravy for the already addictive multiplayer. The missions thus far are creative and fun. All of the criticisms about the story seem valid but I'm personally enjoying the ride with the beautiful cutscenes and decent voice acting. That opening cinematic melted my face.

Did the prerendered cutscenes melt your face too??

Some of you guys are hard to impress lol. I'm having tons of fun with the campaign so far. It's just gravy for the already addictive multiplayer. The missions thus far are creative and fun. Not to mention the community element where I'm constantly pinging my friends over bnet about missions and upgrades. All of the criticisms about the story seem valid but I'm personally enjoying the ride with the beautiful cutscenes and decent voice acting. That opening cinematic melted my face.

Nah I'm having a blast too, the campaign is really fun so far. The action scenes are well done but unfortunately the shitty video compression totally ruins it for me. I really like spending full price on a game and getting shitty videos that look like they're pulled from the first game's CD-ROM.

The writing is just that bad that some of us just can't get past it. It's mind blowing to me.

Definitely enjoying the game though.

Have you played the game or not? One post you say they are quite good, and the next you seem like you didn't know they were not HD.

I played the game but I just never noticed. Was always bad at detecting this stuff. Only thing noticeable was they were kind of blurry at times. There is really no contradiction between what I stated. Infact everything lines up. To me they were so good I didn't even notice they weren't HD.

Neki

I thought about the banelings, but 6 banelings on demand isn't as strong as a buff that makes your entire army practically a wrecking machine for 10 seconds, reduces causalities by a lot too.

So I'm gathering from most of the feedback that the campaign is very similar to WoL. Excellent varied mission design after the tutorials but the story is still cliche filled cheese? That is exactly what I was expecting. I really would have found it hard to believe that they were able to or even wanted to change the direction they were going with the story but I'm glad to hear most are still have a lot of fun with it despite the narrative.

I think I'm going to pound away at the AI for awhile to see if I can improve my mechanics for MP before I try the campaign.

zargle

woot woot, name change! Now I match my SC2 (and every other game) id!

Goodbye name I thought was funny 8 years ago (oh god 8 years ago)!

Tacitus_

I believe Lurker and Guardian (kinda).

Guardian is for AI only (and it has an AA attack). Though you get two variants of Lurker, the one from BW and a new one that doesn't do aoe but smashes armored units easily. Ultralisks also get a
Torrasque
evolution.

Jinaar

Really enjoying the campaign personally. I have only done 3 (or 4) missions so far, but made sure I did them on Normal and Hard each, getting all the achievements and testing my skills (Which are poor).

Banelings, they be rollin'.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My enjoyment of the campaign sky rocketed once I started mission 4. They should've just started it in that circumstance.

What mission is that? All i did so far are the tutorial mission, the one with Raynor and the 2 missions on Char.

ultron87

What mission is that? All i did so far are the tutorial mission, the one with Raynor and the 2 missions on Char.

I guess for me that'd be the Ice Planet one.

Really just
having Raynor "dead" and Kerrigan on a warpath was all I really needed. Though ideally she'd have already been on a warpath because she doesn't need a dead boyfriend to want to kill Mengsk. But whatever.

And the evolving your units stuff is always fun.

ShaneB

Been enjoying replaying the WoL campaign before jumping into HotS. Nice refresher course and getting rid of the rust.

One of these nights I'll get my guts and try multiplayer again :p When I first bought WoL, I played one match, got crushed by stealth protoss (by what I now know as a dark templar rush I guess), and never played again :p

Top Bottom