• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Vodh

I'm about half way through the campaign and so far the dialogues (except for the first 3 missions) are great, the characters (except for Kerrigan) are great (Abathur is absolutely great, feels sort of like an alien-male-GlaDOS), and the general plot is utter shit. Well, all in all I've got some cool characters, great gameplay and shitty story with a terrible protagonist. Could have been worse, but I'm a bit salty about Kerrigan - she had so much potential...

Did brutal my first playthrough. Finally finished. Time to go hard in multi.

8fRnyyB.jpg

I think the story was awesome, I even really liked the ending!

Nert

I'm having a pretty good time with the campaign. The last mission on
the primal Zerg planet, where you basically get to fight WoW raid bosses
was a real treat. The writing (particularly early on) has been atrocious, though.

Anything too difficult? Im gonna play brutal here soon, like halfway through hard and so far its been really easy...

Nah not really, Biggest thing is just make extra macro hatches. and drone the fuck up at the start of every level. you normally can hold off first waves with the units they start you with and Kerrigans ability's. Especially the 300 damage one you start with.

Also every map seems to have an expo. you want to take it asap without dying and drone that up too. I got lots of upgrades too and all of that combined made the game super fucking easy even on brutal.

Great Clan tag

Thanks lol.

Pooya

Brutal gets a bit too much at times, but it's not that hard, never played WoL on Brutal. 9 missions done so far, I'm having a good time with the campaign, it's been a while since the last time I played a sp RTS campaign, well nothing since WoL :lol.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Nah not really, Biggest thing is just make extra macro hatches. and drone the fuck up at the start of every level. you normally can hold off first waves with the units they start you with and Kerrigans ability's. Especially the 300 damage one you start with.

Also every map seems to have an expo. you want to take it asap without dying and drone that up too. I got lots of upgrades too and all of that combined made the game super fucking easy even on brutal.

Thanks lol.

Ya Ive noticed the need for alot of hatches, not use to not being able to spawn larva with queens lol.

sixghost

Ya Ive noticed the need for alot of hatches, not use to not being able to spawn larva with queens lol.

Queens are basically health recharge stations in campaign. I've actually been mining out most of the map on brutal. The missions on Char can be rough. It's nothing but attacking into small outposts of bunkers, tanks, and assorted infantry while the computer launches counter attacks every once in a while.

alba

Little is the new Big
Played a little bit tonight, I haven't played SC2 since like the end of 2010, lol. It's weird getting used to the shortcuts agai and I always sucked with zergs so it's nice to have that tutorial at the start.

The CGI obviously is amazing but from what I've read on this thread, it seems like the story is going to be a Diablo 3 2.0 of sorts... I'll refrain from taking any stance on that until I've finished single player. The skins, player levels and new MP features are really nice. The new UI is very good as well, glad they simplified it and made it overall better.

Will play some more later, I'd be up for some coop with new players since I feel like I'm playing even worse than when I got kinda okay at WoL launch :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning profit!

Just 10 hours to go till I can play again :3 fun.

Esiquio

Just got finished reading it - I really liked it. Don't remember too much of Brood War but I enjoyed the WoL campaign and I haven't read the Flashpoint novel...so it was good to see something that was a bit of a prologue to the first mission and fill in those missing three weeks. I really liked the memories of Sarah and the reasonableness of Valerian. How he wants to learn from her and not make his fathers mistakes. I hope the characterization is good in the campaign as well.

drexl

Banned
only good thing i can say about the campaign is that it'll be good fodder for anita sarkeesian and her "its-always-the-dude-who-has-to-rescue-the-damsel-in-distress" motif.

profit

Oh man, unranked can give you such weird games....
TvZ; the Zerg rushed to swarmhosts on one base, sieged up his main and went really late muta. Offcourse I was already just taking the map and macroing to 200 supply, steamrolled him after.

SRTtoZ

Whoa, so I'm about 7 missions in so far and I'm loving it. I love the quality, the cutscenes, the evolution etc. Its so fun playing as Zerg and overwhelming with numbers. Yes the story is a bit cliche/corny but everything else is so good that I can deal with that.

Killer

Banned
Is there any website to read for tips and strategies? I didn't play since 2010 and I'm having a hard time playing with others.

Getting similar issues. Its straining my card pretty hard. PC running noticeably hotter and performance slightly worse compared to WoL.

In WOL i could play on ultra and have high FPS (say 40+). Now if i play on anything above low my laptop overheats and can't run the game :/.

Really frustrating and i've got no idea if there is anything i can change to help fix it or if i just have to put up with it.

fallagin

I'm having a pretty good time with the campaign. The last mission on
the primal Zerg planet, where you basically get to fight WoW raid bosses
was a real treat. The writing (particularly early on) has been atrocious, though.

Yeah that was a lot of fun. Really changed the pace a lot.

profit

5-0 in placements ^^
Grats man!
Btw I dont know if you saw my idea a few pages back, but since youre offering lessons/advice to so many people and I think youre the most skilled player in this thread; how about organizing a night where people give you their replays and you watch it together with them and other GAF members since you can watch replays in game now with multiple people.

Into

Inane rambling about the story (Heavy spoilers for SC2, HotS etc)

It just does not feel like much has happened with WoL and HotS, the entire WoL campaign is about Jim Raynor, may as well called it Jim Raynor: The Starcrafts, and his mission to rescue Kerrigan because damnit, he believes. The game was at its best when we got away from Raynor and Kerrigan which was the few missions with Zeratul and the impending doom that is coming (Burning Legion, Warcraft 3 style)

In HotS roles are reversed, Kerrigan is now trying to save Jim, the most interesting part is of course when the story has nothing to do with these 2 lovebirds, and for a brief moment focuses on the Zerg origin in Zerus. Only other thing going on are hints at the impending doom that is coming (Burning Legion, Warcraft 3 style..still). This makes finally killing Mengsk anti climatic because they establish this new threat in the last few missions and Mengsk goes from "main villain" to "oh i gotta kill this guy, but the real threat is further away".

Its like watching pro wrestling, Kerrigan has turned heel and face so many times its lost all meaning, she did that in Brood War at least once, they wrote a story where Raynor goes to Char to rescue her and turn her human in SC2, i thought they did this because they did not like the direction that Brood War went into, they wanted her to be a good guy, okay fine. But then they follow it up by her turning back again with this expansion into Queen of Blades 2.0. What was the point then of these past 40-50 missions?

1. We know of the impending doom because of Zeratul
2. Jim and Sarah love each other
3. Mengsk is dead, and a bunch of other none important characters
4. Terrans are fine despite being invaded, Kerrigan will likely pull her forces at the end of HotS and Raynor will lead the Dominion or Valerian. This means that both Terran and Zerg are now sorta allied and the third expansion will be about getting Protoss in line as well to face the Burning Le...i mean Xel Naga.

What was the actual point of turning Kerrigan back and forth? Did they want to turn her into a face/good version of Queen of Blades? That is okay i guess but why spend 40-50 missions on telling that story? With the way BW ended, Kerrigan could have just made a deal with Raynor and said she wanted Mengsk, Raynor seeing how corrupt Mengsk is agrees with this and voila! And if you really wanted to turn her into a face/good version of Queen of Blades just write in some artifact/item/psi/stone/temple that turns her good, just like Blizzard always seems to do when they want the story to go into a certain direction.

Maybe its nostalgia but i do not remember Starcraft or Brood War ever having 1-2 main characters, that was the whole point, there never was a main character, there were many characters in each campaign that mattered to that specific race. The Zerg campaign in original StarCraft you felt as you were a part of that race because you were dealing with actual Zerg Cerebrates and the Overmind. Here you are dealing with a infested Terran who is in love with her Jimmy and wants to rescue him. In the Protoss campaign you realized how powerful and advanced they were and yet how far they are being held back by their own pride, their people were divided and politics (and religion/spirituality) mattered in their society.

And i fear that both Raynor and Kerrigan will again be all over the Protoss campaign, they are the absolute main characters here, everyone else is pushed to the background. Was i the one who loved playing Protoss campaign and just watching all those characters go back and forth?

I am sorry i sound so bitter, but to me the tone of WoL and HotS is so different to the original game and BW, despite all the fancy graphics and CGI, the scope of these 2 games just does not feel all that epic. If Starcraft 2 was a movie, the poster would have Kerrigan and Raynor kissing on the cover with some cheesy tagline "Nothing in the universe will keep them apart!" whereas the original game felt more like a gritty space war type deal, where you could see where each race was coming from and how it made sense that they did the things that they did.

The good stuff about the story are some of the conversations Kerrigan has with Zabara (sp?) in that you learn how Zerg generally work, but the NPC that stole the whole show for me was Abathar. This is the one character i always went to see what he/she/it had to say.

Anyway i apologize for my ramblings about the story, i wanted to post something yesterday but wanted the whole thing to sink in. The campaign is very fun to play, and i just need to accept that the tone and direction of the story has drastically changed. The gameplay is amazing, i love the new units, the menu, basically everything other than the story is great in this game. Won 7 games in a row just using Protoss and getting 2 Oracles, letting them stay close to my opponents base and hit them when they move out while i play very defensive. Granted i doubt these were great players =P

Anyway good luck, have fun and GG

Grats man!
Btw I dont know if you saw my idea a few pages back, but since youre offering lessons/advice to so many people and I think youre the most skilled player in this thread; how about organizing a night where people give you their replays and you watch it together with them and other GAF members since you can watch replays in game now with multiple people.

Sounds good, but I think shakes is just as good if not better than me. Dunno if hes the coaching type though.

Just tell me when. I'm free most of the time except for tues and friday.

Boken

Banned
yo terran are so asshole right now

tanks widow mines proxy reapers opspeed medivacs

mutas take dat widow to the face get one shot

widow mine drop in dem medivacs

#balancerant

Lime

only good thing i can say about the campaign is that it'll be good fodder for anita sarkeesian and her "its-always-the-dude-who-has-to-rescue-the-damsel-in-distress" motif.

I thought Wings of Liberty already solidified that particular trope with Kerrigan needing to be saved.

Are you telling me that once more, despite Kerrigan's conversion in WoL, that she is still depicted as a damsel in distress and needs saving? In her own game?

profit

Sounds good, but I think shakes is just as good if not better than me. Dunno if hes the coaching type though.

Just tell me when. I'm free most of the time except for tues and friday.

Well I'd say if people in here ask for advice/lessons, ask them for a replay and try and arrange a day when you meet up, announce it in here and let people join your party when youre about to begin.

Also I really encourage people to post their replays in here like I do, dont matter if it was a good game, I'd rather see a bad game where we can give pointers. I know it motivated and helped me a ton in the game. I'm still a scrub, but I enjoy the game more now that I do it and I know I'll get a ton of information out of every single game.

drexl

Banned
Are you telling me that once more, despite Kerrigan's conversion in WoL, that she is still depicted as a damsel in distress and needs saving? In her own game?

The exact opposite actually.
Raynor is the damsel in distress this time

Maximus.

Damn the authenticator. I got a new phone and didnt realize I needed to deactivate my authenticator first or whatever and now I am locked out of my account. On top of that Blizzard doesnt send emails out very fast to fix this shit. What was supposed to protect my account has now become a hassle :/

giri

Damn the authenticator. I got a new phone and didnt realize I needed to deactivate my authenticator first or whatever and now I am locked out of my account. On top of that Blizzard doesnt send emails out very fast to fix this shit. What was supposed to protect my account has now become a hassle :/

I changed phones and moved my authenticator with out any problems at all.

0_o wasn't that much hassle either.

Lime

The exact opposite actually.
Raynor is the damsel in distress this time

Well, that's good to hear. But it isn't good fodder for the analysis of female damsels-in-distress.

I hope you don't mistakenly believe that the existence of a male damsel-in-distress negates the existence of female damsels-in-distress. Which it doesn't.

Vee_One

So I got to the jungle planet.

I understand why everyone is complaining.

I... just... what???

LET'S DESTROY THE BRILLIANT BACK STORY WE CRAFTED IN THE STARCRAFT MANUAL. I loved reading that when I was in High School and it was genuinely good

yo terran are so asshole right now

tanks widow mines proxy reapers opspeed medivacs

mutas take dat widow to the face get one shot

widow mine drop in dem medivacs

#balancerant

No more can anyone go into a Terran base without sending one unit to take the WM shot or have detection nearby.

Maximus.

I changed phones and moved my authenticator with out any problems at all.

0_o wasn't that much hassle either.

The first issue was I forgot my password, so that caused problems. Second problem is I don't have access to my old phone so if I logged in, I couldn't use the proper authentication. Because of those 2 factors I was locked out of my account and have to wait for blizzard to email me. I just wanted to register my game :/ I blame stupid hackers for us having to have this added security for our protection :(

Svafnir

Just finished the campaign and was rather disappointed with the story. Was expecting more of an epic feel.

Oh well, overall it was good.

Neki

this roach evolution of slowing as/ms seems too imba, why wouldn't you get this shit lol

then again the other one seems good too, this is a hard one unlike the zergling one

Top Bottom