• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

f0rk

Also feel free to play other low level players here at GAF ( Ketch, ShaneB, myself ). After I lost to Ketch, we loaded up the replay and discussed the game. Watching the replay with Ketch in particular really highlighted how my inferior macro was compared to his and how it really hurt my chances to win.

What time are you guys normally around?

Apollo's channel has some really good stuff for lower level players (or players of any skill level really)

http://www.youtube.com/user/dignitasApollo?feature=watch

Some of the stuff is a little outdated but maybe still worth watching. The tutorials/revamped tutorials helped me a lot and i'll probably watch some of these "Improve with Apollo" videos just because his stuff is really entertaining. Something just intensely relaxing about watching someone play and explain everything they do, the entire thought process behind every decision etc.

FilterSC has some good stuff too especially if you play terran. His method of teaching makes a lot of sense too

bwoKfWU.jpg

I suck as zerg :(

I suck at everything especially Terran.

Veezy

que?
So, what's the best way to get into the multiplayer of this game? I'm about to best the Zerg campaign and know that I'm just terrible.

My starcraft name is Veezy, btw.

Wunder

So, what's the best way to get into the multiplayer of this game? I'm about to best the Zerg campaign and know that I'm just terrible.

Not sure if it helps, but they've added a bunch of tutorial type stuff to help you along through multiplayer. You can just start with Training and move on through Versus A.I. and finally into ranked or unranked play if you feel comfortable. Or you can just go to the NeoGAF group on B.net and ask around and see if someone will show you the ropes.

Willectro

Banned

Versus AI, then Unranked imo (I'm terrible at SC2) until you are more confident. I have completely buried myself in ranked.

mbmonk

During the weekdays I am typically on after 8pm eastern US. Ketch seems to be on around the same time. On the weekends it varies, but I try to get on as often as possible. I believe you are in Europe. Is that correct? So maybe weekends would better for you in terms of playing some of the lower level NA Gaffers.

If we got a small crew of lower level players together, I was thinking of starting a 'Scrub Night' for lower level players to gather and play. Maybe have it on Tuesday night, so scrubs can get in some practice for GAF night, which is the following evening. But this is all brainstorming on my behalf, and haven't really given it deep thought.

This is awesome, keep it up guys!

Thank you! It was Ketch's idea :)

ShaneB

My interest in a game tanks when I feel like I have to follow a schedule, but I'm generally on in the evenings, 8pm est on is a safe bet. That being said, I'm on Steam all the time, not always in an SC2 game :p

I'd be up for a scrub group night, just to mess around and play games/watch replays.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So apparently I'm really terrible at the multiplayer. Like, terrible Bronze league terrible. I should probably practice more against the AI.

I'm in silver and feel this way as well.

In gold and I feel it also lol,the anxiety I get from 1v1 makes me ill lol I need to get over it .

I'm in the same boat as you guys, meaning that I'm a bronze through and through. I play against the AI pretty regularly just to practice my macro and build order and such, but honestly I don't fear ranked games like you guys seem to. Especially the 3vs3 and 4vs4 games. I just go in expecting to lose, and I've come to terms with it. Even in bronze I lose regularly to cheese openings, they are so rampant even down in bronze and I just don't deal with them well. If I'm given time to macro up and get an economy then I'm almost always gonna have a great game, win or lose. And I usually win if given the space to macro up. But I play ranked games as often as I can, because playing against human opponents is how you really learn this game. And sometimes losing is a far better teacher than winning.

My problem is just straighforward APM and multitasking. I simply suck at it, and no amount of practicing or playing will improve that too much. Games like Diablo III, Civ V, and Minecraft are much more my pace. But I still enjoy playing SC2, even if I'm a bronze level SC2 player.

I marvel in awe of videos of top level matches. They play on a level that I will never begin to approach.

And I'm fine with that.

Ketch

I'd be up for a scrub group night, just to mess around and play games/watch replays.

Maybe Wednesday night when I get back?

Glad to see more interested in the scrub league, I think it helps a lot to be able to play without worrying about the ladder. It would also be a lot of fun to come through the ranks together. Make sure you all get on each others friends list, I made a scrub league group but didn't have time to invite everyone before I left.

Veezy

que?
I'm still so awful at multiplayer.

But, banshees are amazing.

Edit: efebayor, I'm based in Europe. I'm atrocious.

My big problem is my strat consists of, campaign or no:

Step 1: Get a lot of units.
Step 2: Do all the gear improvements.
Step 3: Hit F2
Step 4: Hit "A" and click on a random spot in the back of the base.

Shit's effective, yo.

ShaneB

Maybe Wednesday night when I get back?

Glad to see more interested in the scrub league, I think it helps a lot to be able to play without worrying about the ladder. It would also be a lot of fun to come through the ranks together. Make sure you all get on each others friends list, I made a scrub league group but didn't have time to invite everyone before I left.

Wednesday night is regular GAF night is it not? :p I think mbmonk suggested Tuesday, which seems fine enough. That being said, like I said, me and schedules don't really get along, but whatever works for folks :p

My big problem is my strat consists of, campaign or no:

Step 1: Get a lot of units.
Step 2: Do all the gear improvements.
Step 3: Hit F2

Shit's effective, yo.

Oooo.. let's play :) You sound like me. We can leave each other alone while we build our base and armies, and then eventually just charge into each other.

Veezy

que?
Oooo.. let's play :) You sound like me. We can leave each other alone while we build our base and armies, and then eventually just charge into each other.

Fuck yeah. Then we gets to use that sweet micro management skills I learned in the campaign.

AKA, cloaking and uncloaking.

Ketch

FilterSC has some good stuff too especially if you play terran. His method of teaching makes a lot of sense too
FilterSC has also got a bronze to masters series for Zerg, which is where I got my 2 base roach build from! (hint hint mbmonk)

So, what's the best way to get into the multiplayer of this game?

Join the scrub league! No pressure, just for fun games, great way to learn.

My interest in a game tanks when I feel like I have to follow a schedule

Me too, I tried a bunch of LoL and DOTA2, but being tied to a team that wanted to be online at certain times and then just generally were in a bad mood killed it for me. So far, SC2 has been able to scratch that itch, and it's 1v1 so I don't have to worry about being berated by teammates.

Shit's effective, yo.

That's funny, so far all of my wins in HotS have ended with an A-move to the enemies base. As long as you have the macro to back it up, that Shit IS effective yo. I've noticed that not many players in the lower leagues (even some masters apparently, LOL) can deal with a never ending army attacking their base. (A lot of the times I don't even watch the battle, I'm working on this next.)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Well, since everybody likes day9 so much I thought I'd post these for my fellow scrub league'rs.

Daily #252 - Secrets of Hotkeys, APM and Mouse Movement

AND

Daily #257 - Refining Mechanics

I can understand how he might not be your style, or that after awhile his enthusiasm may get a little annoying, but he's definitely my favorite caster/SC personality. He does some really great stuff for newbies. Also, during MLG, his analysis between matches on the big screen was so well done, he makes the game accessible to anybody. day[9] is like the Harry Carry of e-sports.

wow, these are awesome :]

mbmonk

The Tuesday night Scrub League gathering might be redundant depending on the purpose of GAF Night. We could just use Wednesday night as a chance for low level players to play each other since GAF Night is already established.

I was just thinking about fellow low level players like myself who might want to play a bit more frequently in order to improve a bit faster. Holding it on Tuesday would be a good way to have some practice that might carrier over into the next night 's event ( Weds. Gaf).

All that being said, I feel like the friends list is the best way to go for players that are on the same server (NA, EU, etc.). It allows much more freedom in arranging games that fits player's schedules.

FilterSC has also got a bronze to masters series for Zerg, which is where I got my 2 base roach build from! (hint hint mbmonk)

LMAO. We will see this week how that works for you!! ... :p

mbmonk

Day9 is awesome. It's funny how people slag on him. Yet other communities keep asking who could be their "Day9" equivalent for their game & genre that will bring new players into the community. He is definitely a positive for the SC2 scene.

DAY9's Broodwar podcasts were excellent. I think they are still over at TL somewhere.

To be clear I am not saying Day9 is above criticism. I am just saying he plays an important role in the SC2 community.

Ketch

The Tuesday night Scrub League gathering might be redundant depending on the purpose of GAF Night. We could just use Wednesday night as a chance for low level players to play each other since GAF Night is already established.

I was just thinking about fellow low level players like myself who might want to play a bit more frequently in order to improve a bit faster. Holding it on Tuesday would be a good way to have some practice that might carrier over into the next night 's event ( Weds. Gaf).

All that being said, I feel like the friends list is the best way to go for players that are on the same server (NA, EU, etc.). It allows much more freedom in arranging games that fits player's schedule.

LMAO. We will see this week how that works for you!! ... :p

I fear we might be over thinking the scrub league stuff. I just want to get more people involved and I want to make sure we all know who's in, so that games can be played.

Also, if you haven't seen day9 daily #100 it's a must watch.

mercviper

I'm in for scrub league. Still relearning everything I forgot in WoL. I used to play random but now my P is not even playable and my Z/T are sooo subpar.

Ketch

Watch Apollo to learn.

Is he from GOMTV?

I don't understand what that is. Korean pro games you have to pay to watch at 2am ?
I'm in for scrub league. Still relearning everything I forgot in WoL. I used to play random but now my P is not even playable and my Z/T are sooo subpar.

Find me, mbmonk, shaneB, Felix lighter, and f0rk in the GAF group member list and send us all friend requests.

zargle

Is he from GOMTV?

I don't understand what that is. Korean pro games you have to pay to watch at 2am ?

Not a GOM caster, but a good caster who has some good videos that will help you learn.

And you pay so you can watch the VODs later so you dont have to watch at 2am. Or you can pay much less to watch proleague games.

Mairu

So big changes coming to SC2 in Korea soon

Sounds like OGN is going to be broadcasting GSL, OSL is done, and Proleague may be at risk? In the grand scheme of things I hope they announce some sort of regional ranking system similar to Riot's LCS - although I'm sure people are going to be disappointed if OSL is gone.

Ketch

Not a GOM caster, but a good caster who has some good videos that will help you learn.

And you pay so you can watch the VODs later so you dont have to watch at 2am. Or you can pay much less to watch proleague games.

Ok I'll look him up, thanks for the heads up.

The HotS MLG was awesome. But I don't know about paying a sub fee, when there's so much out there to watch for free already. I guess I might do like a pay per view for a tournament if I knew it was gonna be good.

Google "reddit spoiler free SC2", there's a bunch links to free VODs there.

StayDead

So big changes coming to SC2 in Korea soon

Sounds like OGN is going to be broadcasting GSL, OSL is done, and Proleague may be at risk? In the grand scheme of things I hope they announce some sort of regional ranking system similar to Riot's LCS - although I'm sure people are going to be disappointed if OSL is gone.

I don't think OSL is done since as far as we know at this point Doa has said in the past that there will be one, just after HoTS starts.

Maybe there'll be some kind of system set up to allow them to both thrive, but I doubt proleague is in trouble, proleague is by far the best and most interesting tournament there is in Starcraft and Round 4 is starting soon. We know that proleague is going to last at least the rest of this year.

Also Apollo is by far the best commenator in Starcraft 2 and he's by far the most knowledgable English caster (if you don't count Engine who has recently started casting in English (probably the most knowledgable SC2 caster in Korea)).

zargle

Ok I'll look him up, thanks for the heads up.

The HotS MLG was awesome. But I don't know about paying a sub fee, when there's so much out there to watch for free already. I guess I might do like a pay per view for a tournament if I knew it was gonna be good.

Google "reddit spoiler free SC2", there's a bunch links to free VODs there.

I know there's a bunch of free stuff out there, but the subscription fee for proleague was 5 dollars. I don't mind paying that little for a couple months worth of content (although good god, their english casters can be terrrrrible).

I don't think OSL is done since as far as we know at this point Doa has said in the past that there will be one, just after HoTS starts.

Maybe there'll be some kind of system set up to allow them to both thrive, but I doubt proleague is in trouble, proleague is by far the best and most interesting tournament there is in Starcraft and Round 4 is starting soon. We know that proleague is going to last at least the rest of this year.

Also Apollo is by far the best commenator in Starcraft 2 and he's by far the most knowledgable English caster (if you don't count Engine who has recently started casting in English (probably the most knowledgable SC2 caster in Korea)).

Agreed OSL will probably just be restructured later this year. Dunno if I believe the Proleague rumor either but at the same time, do we know anything about how it's doing ratings/viewer wise?

Mairu

Well if they are setting up a regional system, it doesn't really make sense to have two individual leagues.

Guess we'll just have to wait until next week for the announcement (or for details to continue to slowly leak out)
Acer.Scarlett said:
This isn't limited to to the KR scene at all (remember the tweet Sundance made in response to questions about no MLG open bracket~)

I don't like it at all ><

I guess it will help revive the dying foreigner scene but from what it looks like it will hurt the Korean players
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=404725&currentpage=15#291

Axiom not happy about whatever it is!

StayDead

Crossposting my thoughts from TL but,

If it's regional lockouts on tournaments I think it's going to kill a lot more interest than it'll generate. I tuned in to all the later MLGs because I knew some of the best players in the world would be there. Twice now I've sat and cheered for Flash all weekend long and fair enough he lost to Life both times, but the skill level was incredible.

I feel sorry for players like MC who really love travelling all over the world to show off their skill who are going to be hurt the most by this sort of change. I know it's only speculation at this point, but for the sake of eSports I hope they don't lock tournaments to regions, sure maybe have smaller regional tournaments like WCS ended up doing, but making the MLGs, the Dreamhacks and the IEMs region locked will only stunt the skill level outside of Korea, much like what happened during BW. Foreign players couldn't really compete at all with Koreans, but rather than changing their style/practice style/work ethic to match that of the Korean teams, both communities got splintered (mainly due to Kespa management) and both sides became completely isolated from each other. T_T

Mairu

Crossposting my thoughts from TL but,

If it's regional lockouts on tournaments I think it's going to kill a lot more interest than it'll generate. I tuned in to all the later MLGs because I knew some of the best players in the world would be there. Twice now I've sat and cheered for Flash all weekend long and fair enough he lost to Life both times, but the skill level was incredible.

I feel sorry for players like MC who really love travelling all over the world to show off their skill who are going to be hurt the most by this sort of change. I know it's only speculation at this point, but for the sake of eSports I hope they don't lock tournaments to regions, sure maybe have smaller regional tournaments like WCS ended up doing, but making the MLGs, the Dreamhacks and the IEMs region locked will only stunt the skill level outside of Korea, much like what happened during BW. Foreign players couldn't really compete at all with Koreans, but rather than changing their style/practice style/work ethic to match that of the Korean teams, both communities got splintered (mainly due to Kespa management) and both sides became completely isolated from each other. T_T

Can't really see this being the case unless they're doing their own LCS. Why would they be travelling to Korea to announce it in Korea if it's an international thing? I don't see MLG doing a NA-only tournament

Ketch

I know there's a bunch of free stuff out there, but the subscription fee for proleague was 5 dollars. I don't mind paying that little for a couple months worth of content (although good god, their english casters can be terrrrrible).

Didn't realize it was only 5 bucks. It's in HD too?

Mumei

Can you tell me where I could watch VODs that either of them have cast?

mbmonk

I fear we might be over thinking the scrub league stuff. I just want to get more people involved and I want to make sure we all know who's in, so that games can be played.

Despite me being the one who brought up the idea of Scrub Night, I think you are correct. I feel like between GAF Night, the friendslist, and the GAF Group chat we already have all the tools we need in order to gather and play efficiently. As long as the higher level players don't mind. :)

EDIT: uh oh https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/316270793556365313

I would like to see some region locked tournaments, but it would be ridiculous to make MLG region locked. It would be nice to have a GSL type league for the NA and especially EU. Perhaps the top placed folks would get seeds in MLG for instance.

Whatever it is, it must be bad for Axion to be depressed. I just refuse to believe major foreigner tournaments will be region locked though; if anything there could be a limit on the amount of Korean players who could qualify. I'd be fine with that.

Ultimately Catz is right. If you want to grow esports in NA you need more specific NA only tournaments that can help grow new talent. Even one GSL-type tournament with live matches would be great. MLG should stay mixed and be the free for all it currently is, but the NA scene needs the most help; EU is fine.

Won

I have no idea what is going on, but some people make it sound like Blizz is trying to "kill Esport" for real this time.

You can't block someone from traveling somewhere else to play a videogame.

Unless blizzard wants to become KESPA 2.0 I doubt it will have to do with barring players from going to non Korean events.

It most likely has to do with one or more of the Korean only event's either going down or having some sort of foreigner only league.

I have no idea what is going on, but some people make it sound like Blizz is trying to "kill Esport" for real this time.

Yeah the drama hammer is about to land big time.

Mairu

The latest rumor is maybe no GSTL after this season? Hard to take any of them seriously, but Scarlett posted that OSL is not gone, so there's that

Gonna be a long wait to April 4th!

Top Bottom