• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Veezy

que?
Everyone can watch me and Veezy just build a base and army for 20 minutes and then have a large battle to decide it all. It'll be thrilling.

I'll run Terrans and only build battleships, thors, and SCVs. Be prepped by minute 45, cause you'll never see it coming.

Wednesday night is regular GAF night is it not? :p I think mbmonk suggested Tuesday, which seems fine enough. That being said, like I said, me and schedules don't really get along, but whatever works for folks :p

Oooo.. let's play :) You sound like me. We can leave each other alone while we build our base and armies, and then eventually just charge into each other.

Protoss has the best army for this imo. That or Zerg, Terran lategame isn't the best vs Toss and about equal with Zerg.

Holden

Don't wanna sound like a dick but when people contacted Riot about some dota related drama rumor, they said it was false but it ended up being true

just saying t.t

but i guess it depends who TB contacted.

Vodh

What are the drama rumors in question? I'm not up to date it seems.

Edit: Never mind, it's all on this page... Thought I'd have to dig deeper, soz ;p

Hopefully all of this means that blizzard is actually going to take a more active role in the esports scene like riot is. Completely agree about NA needing a GSL style tournament (probably europe as well). Until the foreign scene has something like this to provide more regular tournament exposure and a better chance to develop new talent the foreign scene will continue to stagnate.

Sending 1 or 2 foreigners to GSL every few months won't achieve anything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
E-sports drama = best drama :lol

Mairu

Maybe the thing with Mike Morhaime on April 4th is just a big circlejerk about how successful sc2 is in korea and how great a launch hots was

and there's actually nothing to 'announce' at all!!!

Maybe the thing with Mike Morhaime on April 4th is just a big circlejerk about how successful sc2 is in korea and how great a launch hots was

and there's actually nothing to 'announce' at all!!!

Probably something along those lines + announce a new battle net world finals or whatever they're called.

It's still fun to see everyone ripping their hair out though, I mean blizzard does a lot of dumb shit, but they are not dumb enough to make MLGs NA only and watch those 140k stream viewers drop to 10k at best.

Hopefully all of this means that blizzard is actually going to take a more active role in the esports scene like riot is. Completely agree about NA needing a GSL style tournament (probably europe as well). Until the foreign scene has something like this to provide more regular tournament exposure and a better chance to develop new talent the foreign scene will continue to stagnate.

Sending 1 or 2 foreigners to GSL every few months won't achieve anything.
Agreed. Not every tournament needs MC and the other Koreans in it. I thought NASL would be great for NA/EU but we know how that ended up.

The NA WCS was pretty damn good, I'd love to see that done again but as a GSL type league. You can't build the NA scene if every tournament has the same 6 people at the top. We've seen a transition in terms of the Idras, Machines, and InControls being replaced by folks like Vines and Scarlett and more folks need a chance to generate new fans and win important matches.

Ketch

Question for zergs only:
I was watching those day9 videos I posted yesterday, and he's talking about tapping through your production facilities. But, how do you do this as Zerg? Right now I put all my hatches on 5 for production, but when you have more then 1 selected it doesn't show you the larvae timer. so should I put them all on 5, and then seperately on 6 7 8? Then I can tap through 6 7 8 while trying to control my army?

How do you Zerg?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I never really had hatches on seperate hotkeys. I usually had all my hatches on one then 5-6-7-8etc where my queens are injecting. If I really needed a certain hatch to build something I would usually get queen then select hatch...but then again zerg isnt my main :eek:

Ketch

Right now I put all my queens on 4 and hatches on 5, then I just use the next base camera button to monitor my larvae injects. But I'd like to be bale to check the inject timer without changing my view

SamuraiX-

I'm trying to get more into Terran now but when I played Zerg I would just set my main 3 hatches on F2, F3, and F4 since I hate using hot keys past 6. :-/

Edit: In your case, yeah, I would do something like setting your main hatches on 6, 7, 8, and 9, separately, and all of them selected simultaneously being the 0 hot key.

sixghost

Agreed. Not every tournament needs MC and the other Koreans in it. I thought NASL would be great for NA/EU but we know how that ended up.

The NA WCS was pretty damn good, I'd love to see that done again but as a GSL type league. You can't build the NA scene if every tournament has the same 6 people at the top. We've seen a transition in terms of the Idras, Machines, and InControls being replaced by folks like Vines and Scarlett and more folks need a chance to generate new fans and win important matches.

I just think it's silly to restrict entry to a tournament based on where a person is from, especially if lots of money is on the line. It was fairly understandable why this was done for TSL1 and TSL2 back in Brood war, because the Koreans were light years ahead of the best foreigners. Random b-teams that never played were probably better than the best foreigners back then because there was an astronomical difference in infrastructure back then. I don't think that is the case in SC2, foreign teams have salaries, team houses, etc, the Koreans are just better.

mercviper

Question for zergs only:
I was watching those day9 videos I posted yesterday, and he's talking about tapping through your production facilities. But, how do you do this as Zerg? Right now I put all my hatches on 5 for production, but when you have more then 1 selected it doesn't show you the larvae timer. so should I put them all on 5, and then seperately on 6 7 8? Then I can tap through 6 7 8 while trying to control my army?

How do you Zerg?

I put all my hatches on 1 hotkey and spam select larvae. When I hear the larva burst, or I see an abnormally large amount of larvae able to be selected, I hit my queens hotkey and inject via minimap.

f0rk

Question for zergs only:

How do you Zerg?

You should have base locations bound, it makes it quicker to go back for upgrades/new buildings as well.

I decided to play some unranked matches for the first time in a while. I really have no feel for when I should attack but the first 2 matches showed me why you have to put on pressure or have some vision on the map. The 3rd game, I actually pulled off a drop and had some vision on the map to put my army in a position to crush his. I need a ton of practice but I don't know if I have the nerve.
You guys are probably sick of me coming in here wringing my hands about SC2.

f0rk

I need a ton of practice but I don't know if I have the nerve.
I have this problem too, it's got to the point where I've started doing school work when I could have played some ladder games lol

sixghost

I decided to play some unranked matches for the first time in a while. I really have no feel for when I should attack but the first 2 matches showed me why you have to put on pressure or have some vision on the map. The 3rd game, I actually pulled off a drop and had some vision on the map to put my army in a position to crush his. I need a ton of practice but I don't know if I have the nerve.

Don't worry, everyone who's played lots of starcraft remembers how clueless they felt at first. Scouting is the biggest thing you can do to reduce the anxiety of the fog of war. The biggest thing you need to realize is that every build has tells, every build has counters, it's just a matter of gathering that information and having a general idea what to do once you have it.

This game is extremely overwhelming when you aren't scouting. It feels like an endless amount of units are pouring into your base and destroying you, or the other guy somehow has 3 bases more than you. I really think it's better for newer players to use more aggressive builds at first, as it forces them to get out on the map and not turtle for 15 minutes.

Miletius

I wouldn't worry about it. As shown above there are a ton of people just learning the ropes, myself included. I think my biggest problem is that I have no idea what counters what right now, so I'm just building and hoping for the best. Hopefully that'll change as I get more experience.

Aylinato

I wouldn't worry about it. As shown above there are a ton of people just learning the ropes, myself included. I think my biggest problem is that I have no idea what counters what right now, so I'm just building and hoping for the best. Hopefully that'll change as I get more experience.

The best counter to bullshitters in this game is to out bullshit them.

Sometimes trolls and liars in this game are too much. Telling me they get 100 fps and 500 Mbps
Bullshit lol they are lagging the game I'm in.

Don't worry, everyone who's played lots of starcraft remembers how clueless they felt at first. Scouting is the biggest thing you can do to reduce the anxiety of the fog of war. The biggest thing you need to realize is that every build has tells, every build has counters, it's just a matter of gathering that information and having a general idea what to do once you have it.

This game is extremely overwhelming when you aren't scouting. It feels like an endless amount of units are pouring into your base and destroying you, or the other guy somehow has 3 bases more than you. I really think it's better for newer players to use more aggressive builds at first, as it forces them to get out on the map and not turtle for 15 minutes.

Wonderfully written. Sums up everything with being a new player.

Yeah, thanks, that sounds about right. I really should just finish my placement matches, go in whatever league I belong in and just keep playing. Scouting is a weakness but so is just not ever looking at the minimap.

Striek

I don't get the change Blizzard made to ultras. They've made them terribly effective a-move wonder units, particularly against T.

sixghost

Yeah, thanks, that sounds about right. I really should just finish my placement matches, go in whatever league I belong in and just keep playing. Scouting is a weakness but so is just not ever looking at the minimap.

If having ladder points on the line stresses you out even a little bit, just play unranked. I've played sc for almost 5 years and I still end up clicking unranked MM moreso that ranked. You still get matched up with players in the ranked ladder that are around your skill level, so there's almost no difference.

edit* I forgot to mention the most important advice. WATCH YOUR REPLAYS. I know it's the worst feeling in the world to watch a replay where you played like crap, but you need to do it. Watch a replay until you understand why you lost and what you could have done differently. If you can't figure it out, post it here or ask someone.
i'm not sure, but i find his stream pretty agonising to watch. everything is so textbook, glacial and conservative. unless it's PvP you can guarantee he'll just meander up to three bases attempting to hold off whatever he can, they hope they eventually overcommit and he can a-move his 3/3 maxed composition to victory. never any shred of creativity or daring.

in short: a BW terran doing what BW terrans do.
it's the artosis/idra way. I just enjoy listening to him talk about SC, though. You can tell he loves it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
His APM is just stupid.

How often does he still play?

i'm not sure, but i find his stream pretty agonising to watch. everything is so textbook, glacial and conservative. unless it's PvP you can guarantee he'll just meander up to three bases attempting to hold off whatever he can, then sit back and hope they eventually overcommit so he can a-move his 3/3 maxed composition to victory. never any shred of creativity or daring.

in short: a BW terran doing what BW terrans do.

the issue is none of those tells mean anything at lower levels. that's why you're better off carving through the shit leagues with a super hard timing which punishes all their unpredictable but grossly inefficient bullshit. when your timing stops working you'll know you're playing people whose builds actually mean something.

Top Bottom