• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

pringles

This game makes my graphics cards (GTX 580x2) cry for no reason. Heating up and kicking the fans on like crazy, annoying as hell. Close to playing on Low settings just because of the noise.
I keep getting BSOD, and I think it's an overheating issue. Have seen on forums other people with the same issue, seems to be something with nvidia cards. I have a 8800 GTS512.

Playing on Low settings was the only way I was able to get through the 1st level without crashes. But I could play WOL on almost the highest settings so somethings obviously wrong.

So, I just beat this guy: NeonNoodle He's fricken masters terran 1v1... GUYS.. I JUST BEAT A MASTER. Me, lowly silver srub league'r. Shut. the. front. door. GUYS!

This is the best match of starcraft I've ever played:

http://drop.sc/312812

Edit: Notice his trash talk in the beginning and then his lack of a GG at the end!!! Feels sooooooo good. I'm gonna send it to Day 9.

Edit 2: Oh man I just want to keep talking about this. I said to myself: I'm gonna make Banelings, and I did it. And then I said I'm gonna build Ultras and I did that too. and then I destroyed him. De-stroyed.

Congratulations but is that guy really in masters? If so, that must have been someone else playing because there is no way he can stay in masters playing like that. You doubled his APM and his general decision making was quite poor. He was one-basing for so long. Not to belittle your achievement or anything but there was definitely something wrong. If this is actually the skill of the typical masters player on the NA ladder then I don't even know what to say.

Ketch

Congratulations but is that guy really in masters? If so, that must have been someone else playing because there is no way he can stay in masters playing like that. You doubled his APM and his general decision making was quite poor. He was one-basing for so long. Not to belittle your achievement or anything but there was definitely something wrong. If this is actually the skill of the typical masters player on the NA ladder then I don't even know what to say.

Yea, yea yea. haters gonna hate.
jk

Seriously though, obviously he wasn't that good =) lol. But I linked his profile. Looks like he was just off racing. He's got like 30 levels into Protoss and only 7 in terran... so there's that. Other then that I don't know... Would off racing really screw you up that bad? If you were in masters would you let someone who wasn't as good as you use your account? Maybe he was trying to get out of masters? But if that's the case why the trash talk? Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in masters and only made it that far with shitty widow mine drops?

Sorian

Banned
Yea, yea yea. haters gonna hate.
jk

Seriously though, obviously he wasn't that good =) lol. But I linked his profile. Looks like he was just off racing. He's got like 30 levels into Protoss and only 7 in terran... so there's that. Other then that I don't know... Would off racing really screw you up that bad? If you were in masters would you let someone who wasn't as good as you use your account? Maybe he was trying to get out of masters? But if that's the case why the trash talk? Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in masters and only made it that far with shitty widow mine drops?

Maybe he was trying to make you angry so you did better? :p

Igaunt35

Neo Member

Last night I beat a terran player and on the score screen his icon was Grandmaster. Turns out that was his Wings of Liberty 1v1 ranking even though we had just played a game of HOTS where his 1v1 ranking was like rank 25 masters or something.

I haven't watched this replay but I'm thinking maybe like the guy I played this guy got into masters in WoL because no one is playing that anymore and that is showing up as his 1v1 rank in Hots.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Just finished the campaign...Warcraft 3, still the best SP campaign in a Blizzard game.

Yeah, the campaign for Warcraft 3 was something special. Easily my favorite strategy game campaign ever, by a good margin too. I should really replay the whole campaign someday.

I haven't even started the campaign for HotS yet, still having too much fun poking around other play modes and such. I'll probably start it soon.

I am bad at this game. I play the campaign missions like anyone else would play Super Meat Boy. *restart* *restart* *restart*

I'll get through it eventually though. Still playing on hard, I think normal would be a bit too easy.

Spl1nter

Quite a few people trying to lower there mmr on ladder. At least when I do that I employ a strategy that can still get me wins instead of quiting 2 seconds into the game. However it is quite difficult to lower your mmr when your strategy keeps winning. Damn worker rushes OP.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I am bad at this game. I play the campaign missions like anyone else would play Super Meat Boy. *restart* *restart* *restart*

I'll get through it eventually though. Still playing on hard, I think normal would be a bit too easy.

I doubt you are as bad as I am. I am a perpetual bronze league player, I just don't have the APM nor reflexes to get out of bronze in 1vs1. In team games I regularly place gold and even higher, because other people acting as buffers gives me time to actually play my game, lol. And I play the campaigns on normal. :)

But I still enjoy the game. I'm just average (or below average even) at it.

isual

This is the kind of game where once you start a losing streak, you just want to uninstall and come back months later.

I'm naturally gold, but I'm getting a feel that since Hots came out, all the league players moved up a notch; silver players are at gold skill, gold at plat skill, etc.

Uninstalled. too much time to be placed to be fun

V_Arnold

Everyone should help himself (herself) and simply stop worrying about rankings and placements.

If you lose, you lose. Determine why you play this game. If you play to improve, try improving at every match, that way it is a win even if you lose :)

I am in plat right now, and my ZVZ is definitely way below that league. But that is the way it is -.-

Igaunt35

Neo Member
The thing I don't think some people realize is that whether you are bronze or masters you will basically win the same amount of games that you lose.

The game is going to match you against players that are of similar skill no matter what, so the vast majority of players have around a 50% winrate. I have played close to 4000 ladder games and my winrate is 51%.

Yes losing is frustrating as hell but imo the frustration from losing makes winning that much sweeter.

The thing with the multiplayer, which I haven't even gotten to yet (want to finish campaign first), is that I know I wouldn't have the patience to spend the time to become good, if even more that somewhat competent. I have over 500 hours played in Dota 2 over the past ~9 months and I'm still middling. And that's not counting any of the other time I've spent watching/reading about it.

I doubt I could/would ever invest that much time in Starcraft.

Now you probably don't need to have that much time in-game to have a decent base of skill as there's less overall to learn, but there's still quite a large learning curve to overcome before I'd really feel comfortable.

"More GG, more skill" bros.

Gotta keep grinding it out! When you can't figure out something by yourself then go ahead and ask for help. But please only do that after you have at least given it a shot to help yourself.

You gotta remember no one match of StarCraft is ever exactly the same every single time. So nobody can always have the exact answer for you.

With the end of my Jail rant I leave you with this amazing word of advice. (Aside from more GG more skill.)

sOgnzw7.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh man I did really good today. Only match I lose was to a Protoss 4 gate. The rest I was able to deflect 1 base attacks while macro'ing well enough to make use of my economic advantage. (I fast expand just about every single time). I just finished holding off a Roach all in twice and then proceeded to stomp right through his shit. Feel good man!

Ketch

Here's a really good example of some super simple yet effective micro for zerglings vs. hellions. I found it pretty enlightening... now I just need to learn how to use control groups.

Day[9] Daily 561

Majine

Banned
I need to make the step to using control groups for my army. Up to now I've had all CCs on 1, Barracks on 2, factories on 3 and starports on 4. But nothing for my army, mostly because the movement of the fingers is so much that I forget it too often.

It's hard to reprogram the brain.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I need to make the step to using control groups for my army. Up to now I've had all CCs on 1, Barracks on 2, factories on 3 and starports on 4. But nothing for my army, mostly because the movement of the fingers is so much that I forget it too often.

Usually people put their armies on 1-3.

I do this:

1-3 Army
4 RAX
5 CCs
6 Factory
7 Starport

StayDead

My hotkeys used to be 4CCs and 3 for all my production, but now I've got

1-3 army, 4 factories, 5 starports and 6 for CCs. Works so much better for me now I've got used to it. I wish I could use 7890 as well but my fingers are nowhere near used to moving all the way over there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I know how that feels. By the time you get to 5 those numbers are hard to find, keep track of, and reach for. Maybe you should try binding them to your side mouse buttons, if you have any. That helped me jam that extra control group usage into my head.

Majine

Banned
I know how that feels. By the time you get to 5 those numbers are hard to find, keep track of, and reach for. Maybe you should try binding them to your side mouse buttons, if you have any. That helped me jam that extra control group usage into my head.

I've been thinking of getting one for that sole purpose. Glad to see it's working for someone else.

JLeack

Banned
Usually people put their armies on 1-3.

I do this:

1-3 Army
4 RAX
5 CCs
6 Factory
7 Starport

For Protoss I have to use 5 control groups for my units.

1. Main group with Sentries for Force Field and Guardian.
2. Stalkers for Blink.
3. Mothership Core.
4. Void Rays or Phoenix.
5. Scout, usually Observer.
6. Select all army.
'. Nexus.
Q. Robo
W. Warpgates.
Mouse 4. Stargates.
Mouse 5. Forges.

Blinck

Just finished the campaign !
Loved it!

My favorite mission is the Alien-Tribute one, absolutely awesome. I also liked the final mission. It was standard but I liked the grand scale and I just felt really OP :D

The final cinematic was AMAZING imo. Blizzard NEVER, NEVER fails to deliver on these, it's really impressive.

On to the multiplayer :O

Loved it!

My favorite mission is the Alien-Tribute one, absolutely awesome. I also liked the final mission. It was standard but I liked the grand scale and I just felt really OP :D

The final cinematic was AMAZING imo. Blizzard NEVER, NEVER fails to deliver on these, it's really impressive.

What race you gonna play in multi?

Loved it!

Which mission are you referring to?

Blinck

AppleSmack said:
What race you gonna play in multi?

Protoss probably! I was a gold/platinum toss in WOL, so I will probably stick with it. But I would like to try terran and zerg before deciding, so I might play some unranked random for a while!

The Lamonster said:
Which mission are you referring to?

The mission where Kerrigan injects a larvae into the female protoss, and when she goes into the protoss ship it bursts out of her. Then basically you begin a zerg infestation inside the ship!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gonna be without SC for the next two nights. What to do?

Looking forward to our rematch when I get back mbmonk.
Have been without SC the entire weekend, felt fucking horrible. Wanted to punch every person I met on the street.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

same problem here. i use tab mirco lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Might as well bind rax, fac and star on one button. That way you get more numbers for your army.

I need an aggressive 2 base TvZ build. I would rather not build hellions since I suck at controlling them and too many people seem to be going roach hydra now. Anyone know any good builds that I can attack zerg off 2 base while getting my 3rd (meaning I dont want an all-in build).

Esiquio

Doesn't matter, odds are you won't use either one.

Like Swarm Hosts? I pretty much use only my instant lings, mutas and upgrade them as quick as possible in each level. A few infestors and queens and I have been wiping the floor in Brutal for the most part. Just destroyed that hybrid level, killed every Terran building and even got those two amazing Brutalisks.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
sweet! i got back into masters, and i had to play the game of my life to get there.

high masters too! whoo!

masters_again_whoopng_zps67119f39.png

edit: top 25. lol this is brand new division.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
For campaign: Vipers or Brood Lords?

i feel like viper, torrasque ultra, and armoured damage mutas would be the perfect army of destruction for the final mission. i did borrowed swarm host, broodlord, armored muta and that worked well enough

Esiquio

Wow man, NICE! Masters league, rank 4, that is pretty damn good. Gotta plays some teams with the guys in the GAF chat sometime. Went with the Brood Lords, but like Cyan said, it isn't likely I'll use them.

Just DESTROYED the Phantoms of the Void level on Brutal, getting all bonus Kerrigan levels and every achievement. Is this game easier than WoL?!

My hotkeys used to be 4CCs and 3 for all my production, but now I've got

1-3 army, 4 factories, 5 starports and 6 for CCs. Works so much better for me now I've got used to it. I wish I could use 7890 as well but my fingers are nowhere near used to moving all the way over there.

Whenever i've played terran that's how i have to do my hotkeys. I could never do them all in one because i just get lost trying to tab through them O.O. Also i'm exactly the same, can't use anything past 6.

Top Bottom