• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

SamuraiX-

....Now they're sending out NAKSEO/Monster.............

I just.... what?

Are DRG and Sniper not even there or something? TaiLS? Vampire? Anyone??

Yeah. lol

I'll probably get HotS when it goes on sale for $20... I started WoL back in 2010 and then didn't play it for like 2 years and then came back to it around the middle-end of 2012, so I feel like it still has quite a bit of life left for me. :p

Wait, you're still playing Wings? All credibility lost.
jk

Slayerx

Won my first placement match (which is also my first pvp match in sc2 after all these years lol). I'm so pumped, maybe I should quit with my perfect win ratio, it's all downhill from here :(

OOOH

I learned something new. Using hold position on mines apparently prevents them from shooting. Great way to stop the mines from shooting sacrifices sent out by your opponent.

SamuraiX-

YoDa is just so good. Nice patience and multitasking to just pick off Nakseo from all angles.

Vampire coming out. Confirms that DRG and Sniper aren't there. Like LG-IM needed it to be any easier for them.

OOOH

I learned something new. Using hold position on mines apparently prevents them from shooting. Great way to stop the mines from shooting sacrifices sent out by your opponent.

Wow is that what they were talking about?

So does that mean even if an enemy unit walks directly over a Widow Mine on hold position, it won't fire?

YoDa is just so good. Nice patience and multitasking to just pick off Nakseo from all angles.

Vampire coming out. Confirmed that DRG and Sniper aren't there. Like LG-IM needed it to be any easier for them.

Wow is that what they were talking about?

So does that mean even if an enemy unit walks right over a Widow Mine on hold position, it won't fire?

Thats what they said on the stream apparently. He did that when he stopped them firing on the lings and killed them with the hellions instead.

SamuraiX-

Thats what they said on the stream apparently. He did that when he stopped them firing on the lings and killed them with the hellions instead.

That's pretty awesome.

So that's a counter to the enemy single unit scout. Pretty much means the only available counter to that counter is to incorporate a constant detector in your enemy composition at all times. lol

Edit: Whoops never mind. Still pretty cool.

FluxWaveZ

Why? Its micro. Increases the skillcap of the game and also makes the mines much less random.

I don't like talking about balance in this game because it feels out of line, but I think having the ability to not have mines detonate automatically if buried is a bit too much. Micro is a Zerg player sending out a kiting unit before the rest of the army to bait impacts when they know mines are buried in certain areas. Micro is protecting an Overseer and managing its position with an army to clear out Widow Mines that are on cooldown. But if hold position actually works that way, it seems that a Terran can choose to manually detonate it whenever they want like a Baneling land mine, only so much better, and I don't think that'd be the fault of an opponent's micro if they weren't able to bait it out when they wanted to.

Edit: Never mind, then. That really did sound genuinely imbalanced.

I don't like talking about balance in this game because it feels out of line, but I think having the ability to not have mines detonate automatically if buried is a bit too much. Micro is a Zerg player sending out a kiting unit before the rest of the army to bait impacts when they know mines are buried in certain areas. Micro is protecting an Overseer and managing its position with an army to clear out Widow Mines that are on cooldown. But if hold position actually works that way, it seems that a Terran can choose to manually detonate it whenever they want like a Baneling land mine, only so much better, and I don't think that'd be the fault of an opponent's micro if they weren't able to bait it out when they wanted to.

Doesn't work that way you can also stop it from detonating temporarily by constantly switching targets.

Keikaku

Edit: Never mind, then. That really did sound genuinely imbalanced.
I know it doesn't work at all as advertised but I just wanted to say if a Zerg has to micro an overseer and a handful of units to clear out a mine, there's nothing wrong with allowing hold-position mine micro. It only adds to the overall skill cap because you still have to pay attention to the mini-map and positioning to get it off just right.

Etnos

Banned
I'm still a big noob, mostly stuck at the top of silver league with Zerg.

Wondering what you experienced gaffers think about Zerg attm? Is it true is the weaker race right now? I've heard that, but not sure if it is just the usual whining.

Personally Protoss/Air colossus I just cant seem to find an effective counter other than ridiculously outnumber them.

SamuraiX-

....Wtf just happened in that final engagement?

YoDa had Vampire on the ropes, evens out the supply counts... then Vampire counters and YoDa instantly drops 40 supply. lol

Wondering what you experienced gaffers think about Zerg attm? Is it true is the weaker race right now? I've heard that, but not sure if it is just the usual whining.

Personally Protoss/Air colossus I just cant seem to find an effective counter other than ridiculously outnumber them.

Well in terms of statistics Zerg is the best performing race right now since they have the highest representation in every league after gold.

http://sc2ranks.com/stats/race/all/1

They are struggling against void rays pretty badly right now though.

If you're in silver balance is the last thing you should be worried about. There are so many ways that you could be improving and you should concentrate on them.

I can also guarantee 100% that the late game composition of protoss has nothing to do with why you're losing.

Post up a replay, there are some really good players on here who can give you good advice.

Keikaku

....Wtf just happened in that final engagement?

YoDa had Vampire on the ropes, evens out the supply counts... then Vampire counters and YoDa instantly drops 40 supply. lol
All of the bio units were on less than 50% health, Medivac count was reduced and with Vampire replacing the Cols with more Zealots, the Vikings were dead weight.

FluxWaveZ

I know it doesn't work at all as advertised but I just wanted to say if a Zerg has to micro an overseer and a handful of units to clear out a mine, there's nothing wrong with allowing hold-position mine micro. It only adds to the overall skill cap because you still have to pay attention to the mini-map and positioning to get it off just right.

But then Terrans would be able to totally avoid risk of splash damage all while guarding the Widow Mines with their army right on top of them!

And why do they get an upgrade that lets them burrow faster? Basically, I hate Widow Mines. They can add the movable, burrowed Banelings back in and I'd call it even.

SamuraiX-

All of the bio units were on less than 50% health, Medivac count was reduced and with Vampire replacing the Cols with more Zealots, the Vikings were dead weight.

Oh, that's right. He overstimmed. I was wondering why he wasn't retreating back to his base and waiting for more reinforcements/Medivacs.

Keikaku

But then Terrans would be able to totally avoid risk of splash damage all while guarding the Widow Mines with their army right on top of them!

And why do they get an upgrade that lets them burrow faster? Basically, I hate Widow Mines. They can add the movable, burrowed Banelings back in and I'd call it even.
If your army is sitting on top of Widow Mines in a PvZ, you've got a really strong defensive position but it's very hard to be mobile with it. Moving the mines up opens them up to being killed, your army is sill susceptible to ranged spells like Blinding Cloud and Fungal, not to mention Abduct for tanks. You'd also be opening yourself up for runby attacks, drops, etc.

I don't think Widow Mines working that way would not be game breaking at all.

Etnos

Banned
If you're in silver balance is the last thing you should be worried about. There are so many ways that you could be improving and you should concentrate on them.

I can also guarantee 100% that the late game composition of protoss has nothing to do with why you're losing.

Post up a replay, there are some really good players on here who can give you good advice.

Hey! I would love to have some feedback

I won this game, I think I did kinda OK.. but Im sure there is lots to improve and a plenty of noobness in it.

replay can be downloaded from dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54496425/ZvT Etnos replay - Whirlwind LE.SC2Replay

Has anyone been keeping up with Husky's new Bronze League Heroes segment? I haven't been sold until this episode. Holy shit. LOL

Bronze League Heroes - Episode 6 - FineIsFine vs Hyperjig - I REGRET EVERYTHING

Oh God, did this game actually happen? hahaha

I'm catching up on it. Its a hilarious series and makes me remember my bronze days. I can say with confidence that I was never the level of bad the players in the Videos were considering I was always top 8 bronze. :p *Noob bragging* lol

But seriously it was such a relief to leave Bronze and get to Silver and now Gold. Platinum is next on my list.

SamuraiX-

I'm catching up on it. Its a hilarious series and makes me remember my bronze days. I can say with confidence that I was never the level of bad the players in the Videos were considering I was always top 8 bronze. :p *Noob bragging* lol

But seriously it was such a relief to leave Bronze and get to Silver and now Gold. Platinum is next on my list.

I just recently got promoted to Gold. *brobump*

What race you play?

the zealot legs upgrade killed me

too funny

"So they can charge much more quickly to their deaths." ahha

I lost it when you see Zealots charge the Planetary from above off screen just after it finishes cleaning up the DTs.

I just recently got promoted to Gold. *brobump*

What race you play?

"So they can charge much more quickly to their deaths." ahha

I lost it when you see Zealots charge the Planetary from above off screen just after it finishes cleaning up the DTs.

Gold level Terran. *brobump*

With Bombers pic I guess you play Terran as well?

Hell yeah! I've been transitioning over from Zerg.

I've really been enjoying playing Terran so far. :)

Hey, do you generally go mech or bio in TvTs?

Depends on map and opening. I go Bio mostly because meching requires lots of patience and positioning vs Bio where you can just drop and kill things and get out. Not to mention remaking an army is much easier.

But 3/3 Mech pays off big. Especially with Hellbat drops when you get to that point. Requires tons of Gas and Widow mine/Turret defense to deal with drops from Bio Terran though which is kinda risky.

It all depends on style. With Bio you have to be pretty aggressive and active with the bioballs vs Mech where its better to move out after you hit 150ish supply and have 2/2 or 3/0 if you are going for more factory production. Harassing with Blue Flame Hellions is a good strategy or use them as defense.

This is me as a Gold Terran telling you though so take it with a grain of salt. :)

SamuraiX-

Depends on map and opening. I go Bio mostly because meching requires lots of patience and positioning vs Bio where you can just drop and kill things and get out. Not to mention remaking an army is much easier.

But 3/3 Mech pays off big. Especially with Hellbat drops when you get to that point. Requires tons of Gas and Widow mine/Turret defense to deal with drops from Bio Terran though which is kinda risky.

It all depends on style. With Bio you have to be pretty aggressive and active with the bioballs vs Mech where its better to move out after you hit 150ish supply and have 2/2 or 3/0 if you are going for more factory production. Harassing with Blue Flame Hellions is a good strategy or use them as defense.

This is me as a Gold Terran telling you though so take it with a grain of salt. :)

Good stuff.

Yeah, I'm still playing WoL so no Hellbats, Widow Mines, or Ignite Afterburners to worry about for me yet. :p

I've been trying to go straight mech and it works pretty well but I mix Hellions/Tanks/Vikings/Banshees/Ravens into my composition and adjust the ratios based on what my opponent is going. But damn is it hard to micro all those different units on 3-4 hot keys. lol

Good stuff.

Yeah, I'm still playing WoL so no Hellbats, Widow Mines, or Ignite Afterburners to worry about for me yet. :p

I've been trying to go straight mech and it works pretty well but I mix Hellions/Tanks/Vikings/Banshees/Ravens into my composition and adjust the ratios based on what my opponent is going. But damn is it hard to micro all those different units on 3-4 hot keys. lol

Ravens are a big pain in the rear man. They have 3 spells and if you click them while trying to stim your units it really sucks!

They need to make Auto turret hotkey into something else or Stim hotkey into something else.

It must be harder in WOL because tanks the backbone of Mech needs to have siege researched. It would take me a while to get used to WOL if I played again.

Also LOL at episode 4 of Husky's Bronze League Heroes. "You can't not pool as Zerg"

Made me cry in laughter.

Aaron

Ravens are a big pain in the rear man. They have 3 spells and if you click them while trying to stim your units it really sucks!

They need to make Auto turret hotkey into something else or Stim hotkey into something else.

It must be harder in WOL because tanks the backbone of Mech needs to have siege researched. It would take me a while to get used to WOL if I played again.
Not really. I'm still on WoL. You want a tech lab for stim and combat shields anyway. I start that fairly early, so by the time I want tanks I can swap it to the factory. Ravens are hard for me to use with my low APM though. I usually just get one for detection when I need it and hardly ever use its spells.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

you can always change the hotkey :p

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Finally promoted back to my normal Diamond rank. 14-4 atm.
nadadance2.gif

Maybe ill actually try for masters one day lol

Top Bottom