• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

zargle

Spoilered because GSL

Does anyone else find it funny that for the second week in a row the player on Off the Record is there the day after they lost in the GSL? Gotta love those new curses!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo Pro Ryanoob is taking on InControl for 75$

4-2 incontrol. Clearly they were both having fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is going early double gas to get fast upgrades stupid?
If you get it at the right time and plan to capitalize using them in conjunction with a large well controlled bio army with 1-1 timings before muta, and 3-3 before Zerg gets 3-3 off of 3 base to aggressively deny Zerg 4ths then yes.

Tashi

If you get it at the right time and plan to capitalize using them in conjunction with a large well controlled bio army with 1-1 timings before muta, and 3-3 before Zerg gets 3-3 off of 3 base to aggressively deny Zerg 4ths then yes.

Yea I was thinking more of making a 1-1 push. I'm wondering how big of an army I can make while getting 1-1 as fast as possible. Also, would it be better to do it with 1 barracks with Reactor? 2 barracks and save gas for upgrades? Hmmmmmm

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yea I was thinking more of making a 1-1 push. I'm wondering how big of an army I can make while getting 1-1 as fast as possible. Also, would it be better to do it with 1 barracks with Reactor? 2 barracks and save gas for upgrades? Hmmmmmm
1) You do it off an expand
2) You get your tech and start upgrades, then transition into adding reactors on your 6 barracks.

There's a ton of GSL games played out with fast double upgrades, but I can't remember any recent ones. Most probably have some variation of it.

Tashi

No I mean doing it really fast. Like, 9-10 minutes. Err I guess that's not that fast. But whatever, 8 minutes or so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No I mean doing it really fast. Like, 9-10 minutes. Err I guess that's not that fast. But whatever, 8 minutes or so.
I'd rather have medivacs than 1-1 at that time. Just pick up shit if it gets surrounded. Their queens going to chase you? HAHAHAHA
What is 1-1 going to do against a ton of lings or banes? Banes don't care if you have 1 armor.
It doesn't seem like a great timing to me unless you catch Zerg just making a 3rd, even then dealing damage would be much easier and safer with medivacs.

At least the 1-1 can translate into a nice 2-2 which really helps dealing with mutas. It's the fast 3-3 that decimates because of drops and expo snipes though.

Tashi

I'd rather have medivacs than 1-1 at that time. Just pick up shit if it gets surrounded. Their queens going to chase you? HAHAHAHA
What is 1-1 going to do against a ton of lings or banes? Banes don't care if you have 1 armor.
It doesn't seem like a great timing to me unless you catch Zerg just making a 3rd, even then dealing damage would be much easier and safer with medivacs.

At least the 1-1 can translate into a nice 2-2 which really helps dealing with mutas. It's the fast 3-3 that decimates because of drops and expo snipes though.
What about other match ups?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What about other match ups?
Depends.

1-1 is just a part of a game plan. Why 1-1 and why not something else?
Is 1-1 better than the alternative? What plays to my strengths?
If you are only comfortable with 2 base vs 2 or 3 base Z or P then maybe just sit at 1-1 off 1 engi bay for a while so you can get your medivacs and ghosts out faster.

Factors like:
Can you do well late game on 3+ bases
If you plan a longer game Terran needs double upgrades vs P
If you kill or hurt P before Collosus you can get away with 1-0 shenanigans for a longer period of time, maybe spend all the gas on quick cloak ghosts and bank on hitting 2 clutch EMPs at 12 minutes to win

When you say 'Are quick upgrades good' you need to ask another 10 questions to get that into context.
Is going early double gas to get fast upgrades stupid?
For your original question the answer is yes, if you are one basing. You are sacrificing far too much to start early upgrades. 1-1 means jack shit if you don't have an expo or stim and combat shield. Upgrades tie in well with longer games.

Keikaku

Hazard already covered most of it but here's my take.

As a Zerg, I'll put down that expo first if I'm any good at all, especially with the maps being so large now.

If you wait for 1-1 to finish and you're doing it on 1 base (which is what it sounds like) any good Zerg will have Lings and banes to counter your infantry. Keep in mind that the scouting Overlord will come in anywhere from 8-9 mins in. You won't have your upgrades done and a Zerg would see you still on base. They stop making drones and pump their army, maybe even get lair and have bane speed at least on the way before you moved out. You'd get rolled.

If you're playing against Protoss, it would highly depend on the build used. If it's any sort of 1-base Colossus build, you'd lose and they'd probably scout you with their observer. DTs would slow down your army and you probably won't have the scans saved up to keep scanning. Archons would wreck your shit too in combination with FFs.

I have no idea how TvT would look against this, but I'd imagine that either Siege Tanks or Hellions would kill you pretty damn quick too.

The main thing to remember with 1-base plays is that they're all or nothing. If you don't attack and do significant damage, you should and probably will lose. I would say that, these days, 1 base plays aren't really worth it.

hamchan

So I'm playing again after 2 seasons and I still suck.

Got placed into gold, that's ok i guess.

Played a TvT, got dominated.
Played a TvP, got dominated.
Played a TvZ, got dominated.

I suck.

Anyone know what are the standard builds for T now? I need to grind out something.

TvT, I dunno. I've just been doing 1 base crap.
TvP, I dunno. I dunno what to do.
TvZ, I've been doing reactor hellion expanding.

I've also been grinding out a lot of 1 rax FE but I sure do die a lot.

I don't understand why so many top zerg players skip it considering it's not that expensive. It should be like warpgate, get it every single time.

You know what's funny is the likes of Leenock are actually helping these zergs in a way. All terrans have to constantly scan all over the map everytime they face a zerg player despite the fact that so many of them don't bother to burrow banelings.

I too am surprised you don't see it more often.

Zzoram

I think I need to pick a race. I've stagnated in Platinum because I never have build orders, due to the fact that I don't have a race to focus on.

How does one decide on a race?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I think I need to pick a race. I've stagnated in Platinum because I never have build orders, due to the fact that I don't have a race to focus on.

How does one decide on a race?

do you like ponies? zerg.
do you like winning? terran
do you like autopiloting simple cheese builds? protoss.

Zzoram

I do find Protoss to be the "easiest" race, since they seem to require the least APM to be effective at Platinum level.

Zzoram

Why don't you keep playing random...

Its not build orders that are keeping you back, its mechanics.

How do I develop mechanics?

I also don't really know build orders so that's really hurting me. I know maybe 1 or 2 generic opening builds per race.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I do find Protoss to be the "easiest" race, since they seem to require the least APM to be effective at Platinum level.

protoss apm only drops as you climb the ladder.

platinum protoss: has bad mouse accuracy, must cast two forcefields to cover a choke. 3apm.
masters protoss: has good accuracy, only needs one forcefield. 2apm.

Why don't you keep playing random...

Its not build orders that are keeping you back, its mechanics.
certain mechanics are unique to races and matchups, striek. You cant seriously believe that playing random is not retarding his progress? [and yes, build orders probably are holding him back]

Zzoram

protoss apm only drops as you climb the ladder.

platinum protoss: has bad mouse accuracy, must cast two forcefields to cover a choke. 3apm.
masters protoss: has good accuracy, only needs one forcefield. 2apm.

certain mechanics are unique to races and matchups, striek. You cant seriously believe that playing random is not retarding his progress?

lol

What race are you all playing as? I should put race beside your names in the Barcraft list.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Going:
Zzoram - ???
Pandaman - zerg
scogoth - protoss
mcrae - zerg
TheNiX - terran
Spl1nter :) - terran

Maybe:
caderyn / Silversun - ???

Zzoram

Its one person, im now going.

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Arena - Player List:

MLG Providence '11 Top 8
Leenock, Naniwa, DongRaeGu, Mvp, Huk, MC, Haypro, Idra
European OQ Top 8
Violet, Ret, Thorzain, Pomi, Socke, Sjow, Grubby, Merz
Korea/Taiwan OQ Top 8
Nestea, Parting, Losira, MarineKing, Oz, STC, Ganzi, San
North American OQ Top 8
Drewbie, Ddoro, Sheth, SaSe, Axslav, Artist, Minigun, DDE

Toronto, Victory Cafe, 4pm-10pm, Feb.26th, BARCRAFT:

Going:
Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

scogoth
Picon_small.png

mcrae
Zicon_small.png

TheNiX
Ticon_small.png

Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

Maybe:
caderyn / Silversun
Ricon_small.png

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
you realize if
ddoro wins anything im going to spend the whole day talking about that one time i beat him in a bo3.

NA qualifier spoiler.

Zzoram

I think I'm going to pick Protoss. It's probably my best race at the moment since it's for noobs, and it would racially balance our GAF meet.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zzoram, since you've been to one of these things before, about how much should we budget? i was thinking about $100+travel.

I think I'm going to pick Protoss. It's probably my best race at the moment since it's for noobs, and it would racially balance our GAF meet.

I found Terran to be more newbie friendly because muling/scanning is easy. Chronoboosting can become the difference between a well timed build and wondering why your shit just got pushed by someone doing the exact same thing as you.

zzoram, since you've been to one of these things before, about how much should we budget? i was thinking about $100+travel.

Sweet jesus. 100? You have an artifical liver, don't you?

Zzoram

I haven't been to a TL Barcraft before, only a TL LAN. Everyone was super friendly IRL though, and mostly university students.

Budget however much you want. You'll be in a sports bar for around 4 hours, so you'll probably eat dinner there plus a few drinks. Also, if you want, donate a dollar to the organizer to recover his MLG PPV cost.

$100+travel is plenty, a lot of people won't be drinking that much and those people can budget $30 no problem.

MLG's schedule for Sunday is supposed to be 2pm to 8pm, but it can go shorter or longer depending on if the games are close or not. Given that schedule, and Victory Cafe not opening until 4pm, we'll be missing the Loser's Bracket Semifinals, but we will get to see the Loser's Bracket Finals and Grand Finals.

After the Grand Finals are over, the organizers could put up VODs of popular player match ups from earlier in the tournament for people who didn't buy the PPV.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
okay good, always better to have a bit of money left over when you're done. :3

so did we decide if we were all going to meet somewhere beforehand so we can all get to know each other? i've seen pictures of splinter and i've met mcrae once, but the rest of you are a mystery. :p

Spl1nter

MLG's schedule for Sunday is supposed to be 2pm to 8pm, but it can go shorter or longer depending on if the games are close or not. Given that schedule, and Victory Cafe not opening until 4pm, we'll be missing the Loser's Bracket Semifinals, but we will get to see the Loser's Bracket Finals and Grand Finals.

After the Grand Finals are over, the organizers could put up VODs of popular player match ups from earlier in the tournament for people who didn't buy the PPV.

Wait you guys were actually planning to watch the event! I was coming just to meet and drink
and get raped

Zzoram

Ya I actually want to see who wins this thing, and in my experience, watching Starcraft 2 with people is more fun than watching it alone.

well, food + donation to the barcraft fund + alchyhole
i dunno man, im not social. i go to bars like once a year!

Oh, didn't know we could donate. In terms of Alcohol cost, if you drink ~4 pints it'll run you around 25 depending on type of beer.

so did we decide if we were all going to meet somewhere beforehand so we can all get to know each other? i've seen pictures of splinter and i've met mcrae once, but the rest of you are a mystery. :p

I think we should. That way we can get over the awkwardness of having raped Spl1nter before we start watching matches.

Zzoram

okay good, always better to have a bit of money left over when you're done. :3

Ya we could meet earlier, not sure what you guys want to do. Maybe go to a Starbucks or Tim Hortons around 230-3pm or something?

Oh, didn't know we could donate. In terms of Alcohol cost, if you drink ~4 pints it'll run you around 25 depending on type of beer.

Donations will be small, like $1-2 is fine if everyone donates, more if you want them to invest in something fancy for the March MLG Winter Championship Barcraft, the only real cost they have to recover is $20 for PPV and prizes for whatever contests they do.

Top Bottom