• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
♥ Day9 deserves the attention though, he's done a lot for the community. And his Daily#100 remains one of the best things I've seen on the Internatz.

Shrug let me know when he does his old style of dailies then Ill care about his community efforts again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shrug let me know when he does his old style of dailies then Ill care about his community efforts again.
I started on #100... how were they different?

Corran Horn

I started on #100... how were they different?

Watch one. Wasnt about entertaining the crowd but more about analyzing a video (most of them were msl/osl/proleague videos) in a high level terms. My favorites were when he would spend a whole daily analyzing a map and how to properly move along the map.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Watch one. Wasnt about entertaining the crowd but more about analyzing a video (most of them were msl/osl/proleague videos) in a high level terms. My favorites were when he would spend a whole daily analyzing a map and how to properly move along the map.
Aren't they like, hard to find? I can't find any on Youtube...

Yoshichan

WedgeX

Banned
OK GAF.

I've played about 25 hours now, I'm still bad lol. But I love this game and will probably be playing forever now.

Are you on the NA server?

If so, come to GAF Night every Wednesday night at 6PST/9EST, get in the neogaf chat channel and get on mumble!

MrKnives

I have watched Dailies from the start but I cant watch these newer ones. They used to be so so much better.

I stopped some time after he introduced the funday mondays.

FoxSpirit

I think what he does now is actually more valuable for the community as a whole than his ultra in-depth analysis.

This is great for a handful of high-level but not quite there yet players but ignores the legion of bronze to diamond guys. The people most vulnerable tio quit playing because somehow, it's no big fun because you are not yet good and from watching all the pro-players have WAAAAY too lofty goals and completely skewed focus. He's a lot about focusing on your play level and actually playing with it instead of grimly trying to emulate pros which is an exercise in futile frustration.

Liked his advice today to, from the 10 minute mark, go attack every 5 minutes. Really solid for lower leagues.

Look at posts in here, people shitting on their own macro instead of simply building more production. Is that super efficient? No. But it will prevent the accumulation of a trustfund AND improve late game remaxing capabilities. You know, basic stuff for lower play.

Like TotalBiscuit once said, in lower leagues, you play a completely different meta-game.

I mean, at the end of today's Day[9] stream, he basically said, "wanna know timings? do them yourself, make an exel of all the stuff you are scared or curious about"
The question in point was, how long does it take for Zergling speed to kick in right after an Extractor has been placed? Answer: about 3 minutes.

Best advice in a long time, I'm gonna time out a few things I am curious about like most greedy 15hatch play to saturation :-D
Also makes me really curious to time out some Terran stuff but that means learning the ropes of antoher race :-\

Corran Horn

I think what he does now is actually more valuable for the community as a whole than his ultra in-depth analysis.

This is great for a handful of high-level but not quite there yet players but ignores the legion of bronze to diamond guys. The people most vulnerable tio quit playing because somehow, it's no big fun because you are not yet good and from watching all the pro-players have WAAAAY too lofty goals and completely skewed focus. He's a lot about focusing on your play level and actually playing with it instead of grimly trying to emulate pros which is an exercise in futile frustration.

Liked his advice today to, from the 10 minute mark, go attack every 5 minutes. Really solid for lower leagues.

Look at posts in here, people shitting on their own macro instead of simply building more production. Is that super efficient? No. But it will prevent the accumulation of a trustfund AND improve late game remaxing capabilities. You know, basic stuff for lower play.

Like TotalBiscuit once said, in lower leagues, you play a completely different meta-game.

I mean, at the end of today's Day[9] stream, he basically said, "wanna know timings? do them yourself, make an exel of all the stuff you are scared or curious about"
The question in point was, how long does it take for Zergling speed to kick in right after an Extractor has been placed? Answer: about 3 minutes.

Best advice in a long time, I'm gonna time out a few things I am curious about like most greedy 15hatch play to saturation :-D
Also makes me really curious to time out some Terran stuff but that means learning the ropes of antoher race :-\

Shrug as a Diamond level player I find these dailies unwatchable. I want to learn stuff geared towards higher end stuff :/

Sadly that means Im watching Artosis streams now instead

Striek

The biggest thing I recall getting out of the dailies I watched in Beta was saying to opponents on ladder as terran "ugh that is so obnoxious" when they sniped my scv building my barracks (I had no idea how to deal with that 'high level' harassment back then :lol).

Sliver

Based on his self streaming, he isn't very level headed about certain things. Calls stuff cheese way too easily.

Was severly disappointed :-\

There is a big difference between Artosis the caster and Artosis the player. Artosis is well known for his bad manner and anger as a player, it's not as bad as it used to be but you can still see bits of it.

FoxSpirit

There is a big difference between Artosis the caster and Artosis the player. Artosis is well known for his bad manner and anger as a player, it's not as bad as it used to be but you can still see bits of it.
That strikes me as odd. Either I do recognise a play as valid or I don't. You don't randomly differentiate between good and bad plays as caster and player. If you rage about a play, that is your honest opinion. Raging about eco 8 pool means you feel it's pure cheese. End of line. (he raged about something completely insane back then though, the whole chat called him out on it).

Well, as caster you can try to act pro and lie. "Look at that beautiful eco 8 pool". Or be bigot. Whatever is worse.

My problem with the daily is the ridiculous level of narrative building Day9 does. Every minuet decision by a good player is hailed a a brilliant master stroke, often harped on as Day9 pauses the game and drives home the point for a minute. The daily is more focused on him than the game, as he fast forwards through the majority of it.

Does he have some nice insight? Of course. For instance I was watching his recent daily on Stephano's ZvP, which he claims is unlike anyone else's ZvP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYmCLkJv78&feature=relmfu

Stephano goes for a pretty standard Roach timing, but doesn't scout his opponent at all. Yet Day9 hails this as some revolutionary innovation

Sliver

That strikes me as odd. Either I do recognise a play as valid or I don't. You don't randomly differentiate between good and bad plays as caster and player. If you rage about a play, that is your honest opinion. Raging about eco 8 pool means you feel it's pure cheese. End of line. (he raged about something completely insane back then though, the whole chat called him out on it).

Well, as caster you can try to act pro and lie. "Look at that beautiful eco 8 pool". Or be bigot. Whatever is worse.

I think it's more than he is just easily angered and very into the game while playing. He says stupid shit and calls everything cheese because it pisses him off that he loses. Obviously he'll go back and hopefully recognize he was just being a rager.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

When you're playing with emotions you will get blinded to believe that you are right.

Have you never had a friend or significant other tell you about an argument they've had with some one else? they 100% think they're right, but you as an outside observe can see they are not.. and then have to either side with them.. or be a man and tell them they're wrong.

If anyones qualified to recognise and callout bad play its Artosis.

This should be true but watching his stream it just isn't the case. Most of the time he's good but he is very poor at pointing out his own flaws and bad decisions in games.

He will play a 40 minute game and make a bunch of horrible decisions and then he will pick out one thing (which often isn't even the problem) and blame the entire game on that.x

As holycheck said it's all about the emotion of being involved in the game. It clouds his judgement of what is really happening.

Just because someone is bad or decent at playing SC2 does not disqualify them from analyzing the game. That's such a stupid argument, and quite prevalent in sports. NFL wise John Clayton never played football, Matt Millen did - which one are you gonna listen to.

Artosis understands the game. Yea he says some dumb stuff but no one is perfect. He's probably the best analytical caster in SC2 today, knows where the game is headed, etc.

Just because someone is bad or decent at playing SC2 does not disqualify them from analyzing the game. That's such a stupid argument, and quite prevalent in sports. NFL wise John Clayton never played football, Matt Millen did - which one are you gonna listen to.

Artosis understands the game. Yea he says some dumb stuff but no one is perfect. He's probably the best analytical caster in SC2 today, knows where the game is headed, etc.

I may be blind but where did anyone in this thread say that artosis isn't qualified to analyse games because of his playing ability?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I may be blind but where did anyone in this thread say that artosis isn't qualified to analyse games because of his playing ability?

No one here has, I hope, but it raises an interesting point I see brought up on TL a lot. About casters who are not of the highest playing level being rubbish.

Which of course, is rubbish. They always go on about how the NFL commentators are all ex players, I don't know how true this be, but I do know, here in aus, lot's of the top. AFL commentators either never played (past highschool) or only played in state / local leagues

Corran Horn

No one here has, I hope, but it raises an interesting point I see brought up on TL a lot. About casters who are not of the highest playing level being rubbish.

Which of course, is rubbish. They always go on about how the NFL commentators are all ex players, I don't know how true this be, but I do know, here in aus, lot's of the top. AFL commentators either never played (past highschool) or only played in state / local leagues

Usually the play by play guy has not played the sport but has been around it for a long period and there is a color commentator who has played the sport or coached.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, part of the very vocal TL crowd is strange. How can you even judge a caster on being rubbish when, by your own definition, your understanding of the game is even more rubbish and you are therefore not qualified to judge the level of the caster?? ;-)

I'm in bronze and have made better calls than casters in ML on occasion :p

Too bad my analysis of the first 10 minutes of the game is very humdrum, must learn more.

nilbog21

Banned

and i bet most pro football players/coaches can't stand listening to them

I find Wolf and Apollo much better analytical casters for the simple fact that they don't have an insane bias for anything resembling BW in SC2 that Artosis have.

Mech in TvP ? lol

Corran Horn

Team SlayerS
Well Jessica already leaked it out on her Twitter, but we are currently working with own3D.tv to provide you with streams from our players, including BoxeR and MMA. Is there any particular player you are looking forward to watch?

u0AXb.gif

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Day we could argue all day (pun intended)... but husky? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY?

husky is the most entertaining and humorous mass appeal caster. hes definitely my youtube goto for sc entertainment. day 9 is also funny as hell and ill watch him when i also want to learn a thing or two.

edit: but husky wins out a little in entertainment between the two because his videos are meant to be purely entertaining rather than informative

fanboi

Banned
husky is by far the most entertaining and humorous mass appeal caster. hes definitely my youtube goto for sc entertainment. day 9 is also funny as hell and ill watch him when i also want to learn a thing or two.

You should get some of my hair so you can get which one is cool and not COOLIO.

I'm so bad.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
You should get some of my hair so you can get which one is cool and not COOLIO.

I'm so bad.

>: [

anywhoo, artosis and day are probably the most qualified casters but for entertainment purposes i need a lot more than for the casters to have a deep understanding of the game. a lot of sc fans want to see the popularity of sc grow and dont think thatll happen with over analytic, dry, educational casts. i think day and husky strike the best mix both separate and together

fanboi

Banned
>: [

anywhoo, artosis and day are probably the most qualified casters but for entertainment purposes i need a lot more than for the casters to have a deep understanding of the game. a lot of sc fans want to see the popularity of sc grow and dont think thatll happen with over analytic, dry, educational casts. i think day and husky strike the best mix both separate and together

Yes!

Hence Tastosis duo is like sex in casting form!

Top Bottom