• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfox Assualt - Direct Feed Screens

olimario said:
As it stands, however, they aren't developing those titles and you don't have a CLUE about the qaulity.
Impressions from magazines, screenshots, videos, websites, previews, etc. don't count as clues?

ge-man

Someone please tell me what looks so bad (not including the on-foot stuff, which has always looked very weak)?

olimario

Banned
Operations said:
Impressions from magazines, screenshots, videos, websites, previews, etc. don't count as clues?

Impressions haven't been overwhelmingly bad, though.
In fact, IGN's impressions of StarFox were pretty good. Advance Wars GC didn't get any really poor impressions either.

Geist? yes.

Socreges

Banned
It almost seems set in stone that the game will have excellent flight missions with alright gameplay otherwise.

drohne said:
shame about the third person furry segments. the rail shooting actually looks pretty good, even if it'll never approach the quality of the original. what are argonaut up to these days? why don't nintendo give them another shot at starfox? their track record still isn't as spotty as kuju's or n-space's, and they're still the only developer to really do starfox right.
I've never heard that before. What, for you, did SF64 do 'wrong' in that it wasn't done right, relative to the original?

ge-man

Socreges said:
I've never heard that before. What, for you, did SF64 do 'wrong' in that it wasn't done right, relative to the original?

It was made by EAD (even though from what I understand, most of the designing of the first Star Fox can be attributed to EAD).

AniHawk

drohne said:
shame about the third person furry segments. the rail shooting actually looks pretty good, even if it'll never approach the quality of the original. what are argonaut up to these days? why don't nintendo give them another shot at starfox? their track record still isn't as spotty as kuju's or n-space's, and they're still the only developer to really do starfox right.

I think their last game was Malice.

Socreges

Banned
ge-man said:
It was made by EAD (even though from what I understand, most of the designing of the first Star Fox can be attributed to EAD).
You're right...

http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=104

Shigeru Miyamoto and the EAD team became involved in the project and came up with the idea of Star Fox. The main creation of the series is attributed to Nintendo designer Takaya Imamura who actually created the characters, universe, and concept of the title. Nintendo was responsible for the design, music, and scenario while then Argonaut programmers provided the technology.

Gotta say, after playing those exact levels, it looks much better in motion. Everything animates extremely fluid (defintely looked 60 fps to me), and there's a LOT going on at once. The ships themselves move a bit slow, but if it moved faster, I don't think I'd be able to concentrate on what was going on at all.

Teddman

I hope they've improved the play control and handling over the E3 demo. You couldn't even tilt the Arwing!

At the show, the game still had a long way to go to measure up to StarFox 64, my favorite N64 game.

From my E3 impressions:
One big change in the controls is that the shoulder buttons no longer let you tip the Arwing on its right or left axis. Instead, the R-trigger is brake, while the L-trigger is roll attack (barrel roll). Don't like it. I'd have preferred they moved brake to the X button (what's up with this 'land' function anyway?), so that it's near the Y-button boost, and had left the triggers as they were in the N64 game. Then it would be even more intuitive: tapping on the L or R triggers would tip the ship in that direction (for flying through narrow spaces and avoiding enemy fire), and yanking them all the way down to a digital click would send the Arwing into a barrel role on either side. Makes better sense, no?

Dragmire

Why would they use Rare's version of Fox from Starfox Adventures, instead of Nintendo's Fox from SSBM? Rare's Fox is the worst looking version ever. Even the costumed characters from the SNES game art looked better.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I am utterly baffled as to the quality of those screenshots.

If you think the game looks like ass from the shots, PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch the videos first; I actually came away from the videos very impressed with the game's graphics.

Top Bottom