• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Number45

So is it safe to assume that we won't be seeing this release on PSN simultaneously with the retail version? I'm guessing they'd have trumpeted it if it were going to happen. :(

ttocs

I'm so glad this comes out today. My birthday is tomorrow and as always, I take the day off to veg out and play video games. Usually it consists of games I never completed but this year, I get to play StarHawk all day. Couldn't be happier.

Gacha-pin

I'm so glad this comes out today. My birthday is tomorrow and as always, I take the day off to veg out and play video games. Usually it consists of games I never completed but this year, I get to play StarHawk all day. Couldn't be happier.
Happy B-day!!

Daft_Cat

So this game looks aesthetically like it was made for me. I also loved Warhawk and so I always figured this would be great.

I decided to check out a couple of the middle of the road reviews just to see if there were any glaring flaws. Machinima listed two big ones, but the thing is they both contradict each other.

A) On the one hand, they said that there's no real limit, advantage, or guiding principle as to what to build, and where. No reason to build a turret over a laser thingy, for example.

B) On the other hand, they said that there's no real mechanic for working as a team to organize the stuff your building.

Their conclusion is that both of these mean that there's no real thoughtful design at play here. However, if A is true, then B doesn't matter, since there doesn't need to be a huge amount of macro-level cooperation. If that's the case, then the mechanics seem to be sound.

Anyone have any thoughts? I want to go out and pick this up, but the lack of hype makes me wonder if it'll have Warhawks legs, and that's a huge factor playing into my purchase.

Also, I didn't play the beta.

Effect

Wow. Just finished watching footage of the first level. I was interested in the game before but couldn't have time for the beta so I just stopped paying attention. What liked about it before still stands. Shooting plus base building with great graphics. I think I missed it but how long is the single player suppose to be?

With map packs being free I think I'll actually pick this up. It's seem to have jump ahead of Dragon's Dogma and even Mario Tennis and Diablo (was iffy on the last two though) on the "I have to play this" list. So if I come across it today I might just pick this up and wait for those two to drop in price in a few months. I've been playing so many RPGs lately that I think DD can wait. I'm annoyed with Mario non-platformers as a late (MK7 I'm iffy on Mario Tennis). Action that isn't just a normal FPS would be very welcome and Diablo 3 is out since I'm playing Dungeon Siege 3 now. Looks like Starhawk is winning out.

ironcreed

Banned
So this game looks aesthetically like it was made for me. I also loved Warhawk and so I always figured this would be great.

I decided to check out a couple of the middle of the road reviews just to see if there were any glaring flaws. Machinima listed two big ones, but the thing is they both contradict each other.

A) On the one hand, they said that there's no real limit, advantage, or guiding principle as to what to build, and where. No reason to build a turret over a laser thingy, for example.

B) On the other hand, they said that there's no real mechanic for working as a team to organize the stuff your building.

Their conclusion is that both of these mean that there's no real thoughtful design at play here. However, if A is true, then B doesn't matter, since there doesn't need to be a huge amount of macro-level cooperation. If that's the case, then the mechanics seem to be sound.

Anyone have any thoughts? I want to go out and pick this up, but the lack of hype makes me wonder if it'll have Warhawks legs, and that's a huge factor playing into my purchase.

Also, I didn't play the beta.

I did not play the beta that much and did not even get all of the mechanics down, but it was just fun to run, fly and drive around in the vivid and gorgeous sci fi environment, participating in what seemed like a large scale futuristic conflict. In other words, I got enough of a taste that I knew I would love the game.

Probably not the in-depth details you are looking for, but to me it is just all about the fun factor. I was never an ace at Warhawk, but the same applied there for me as well. It was just different in it's variety and large scale and was simply a blast to play. Add in a sci fi environment, much better controls, the building mechanic and much better visuals and you have Starhawk.

In short, this felt like a jump ahead and even more unique to me. It even looks unique as hell. But again, my impressions are limited. All I can say is that it plays great, it's fresh on the whole and is simply fun to play. That is all I needed to see.

Loudninja

Wow. Just finished watching footage of the first level. I was interested in the game before but couldn't have time for the beta so I just stopped paying attention. What liked about it before still stands. Shooting plus base building with great graphics. I think I missed it but how long is the single player suppose to be?

With map packs being free I think I'll actually pick this up. It's seem to have jump ahead of Dragon's Dogma and even Mario Tennis and Diablo (was iffy on the last two though) on the "I have to play this" list. So if I come across it today I might just pick this up and wait for those two to drop in price in a few months. I've been playing so many RPGs lately that I think DD can wait. I'm annoyed with Mario non-platformers as a late (MK7 I'm iffy on Mario Tennis). Action that isn't just a normal FPS would be very welcome and Diablo 3 is out since I'm playing Dungeon Siege 3 now. Looks like Starhawk is winning out.
5 to 6 hours.

btw anyone has a spare Sweet Tooth Skin, I did not get Twisted Metal.

got one, i'll pm you with it.

Man this game is looking fun, but i got burned once already with tantalizing online play. Twisted Metal is really fun but the online needs so much help. And Just like TM Starhawk doesn't have a long lasting campaign. Realistically I would probably not revisit it once I beat it. But man if the devs aren't doing all the right things.

Shame I hadn't even thought twice about this game until this week.

I'll definitely be picking this game up eventually now that I hear all map packs will be free. I'm still unsure on when exactly I'll pick it up though.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just got my copy. The cover has a printing issue:

2012-05-08%25252012.30.01.jpg

Looks like I'll be using the default cover.

Setre

Hoping the US store gets it for a download as well. Unfortunately my impatience may win out and I’ll just buy a physical copy.

I didn’t play the beta but I loved Warhawk, is it pretty safe to assume I’ll enjoy Starhawk as well?

Picking this up at lunch today, psn tag is DevonTD.

Not interested in the warhawk 1 ps1 game or soundtrack, so of those come as separate codes, I'll offer them up here

params7

Banned
i don't get why digital copies should be the same price as retail. Sony gets to skip the costs for manuf, retail marketing, manuals etc, so lower the price :/

Jas

Picking this up at lunch today, psn tag is DevonTD.

Not interested in the warhawk 1 ps1 game or soundtrack, so of those come as separate codes, I'll offer them up here

All the DLC is attached to one code that comes on an insert inside the game box.

.GqueB.

Banned
Just learned last night that this game releases today. Might pick it up, but a few questions first:

Tried the beta but the Warhawks felt crazy under powered. Has that been changed at all?

Also felt the building aspect was overwhelming for some reason. Didn't know what I was building and why half the time. Didn't really grasp the strategy behind it. Is this something you just sort of get used to or do you actually have to strive to work at being good at it?

Overall impressions?

Top Bottom