• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting a Multi-platform Gaming Site...

DCX

DCX
Count me in ;) I'm all for motivation induced performance and this guy is full of it...i'll ride his wave....god knows i need something to do other than thinking of my ex :p

DCX

TheDiave

Banned
Well, Gamefan more or less set him up to fail. He was the butt of all their jokes... They tortured that poor kid. Bunch of assholes, aside from Eggo and Hi-Fi - they were cool cats - but the rest were finks through and through.

I guess 'Nando's deeply involved in some sort of Marijuana legalization group these days.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This sounds like fun. I haven't worked for an online site since the 64 Source days. If you're still up for it after all the shit you've gotten in this thread (and it was all in good fun, I'm sure :)) you can count me in (at least for an article or two from time to time)

Could be cool :)

Vormund

Good luck with the site.

I myself was working for a site a while back and it was kind of neat getting free games.

That said, don't expect to actually make any money.

My neighbour and I are starting an aussie site soon, so we'll see how we go; we're not expecting much though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The biggest problem with creating a website is that Gamespot and IGN/Gamespy are so big that the publishers just give them exclusivities after exclusivities. I mean why give anything to a noname site when you are sure thousands and thousands of people will get to see it on these sites ?
If you want to get anything you have to get a lot of free time and start calling people and harass them (quite literally) so they give you stuff just so you shut the hell up. I know some people who do that and manage to get stuff, I sure don't ;)
I guess being a US site is still a bit simpler than in Europe where you just have contact the local publisher office and usually basically they just don't even bother to reply if you are not from the paper press or have some big financial entity to back you up. Here is France only Microsoft, Sega and Codemasters bother to help fan sites, good luck getting anything from other publishers.

Blimblim said:
The biggest problem with creating a website is that Gamespot and IGN/Gamespy are so big that the publishers just give them exclusivities after exclusivities. I mean why give anything to a noname site when you are sure thousands and thousands of people will get to see it on these sites ?
If you want to get anything you have to get a lot of free time and start calling people and harass them (quite literally) so they give you stuff just so you shut the hell up. I know some people who do that and manage to get stuff, I sure don't ;)
I guess being a US site is still a bit simpler than in Europe where you just have contact the local publisher office and usually basically they just don't even bother to reply if you are not from the paper press or have some big financial entity to back you up. Here is France only Microsoft, Sega and Codemasters bother to help fan sites, good luck getting anything from other publishers.

<=== This man knows what he's talking about. Another problem is that should you manage to get a good piece of information ... well lets just say very few sites act ethically with respect to news. Often "forgetting" to give credit where due.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ManDudeChild said:
<=== This man knows what he's talking about. Another problem is that should you manage to get a good piece of information ... well lets just say very few sites act ethically with respect to news. Often "forgetting" to give credit where due.
It's not that easy to know the true source of a news. There are very few sites that actually dig for news, most fansites just lurk on forums to get some infos and report them.
A new "classic" site with mostly text based content will have an incredibly hard time getting some readers now, I just don't see it happening. I tried doing something different on my site (eg only game medias) with moderate success considering it's based in France (thus almost no support from publishers) and started only last september, but I don't think it would have been even half as succesful (if 30.000 unique visitors a month can be called a sucess) if it had been a simple "gaming site"+1. There just isn't any more market for that anymore, especially if you actually consider getting some money from it.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i have mucho respect for godstyro for even wanting to start a site in this day and age -- i'm just saying it's really, really hard

the internet world of 'journalism' is completely different than what it was back in those days during the dreamcast craze. it was really easy to start a web site with success as long as you were dedicated. sega was throwing dreamcasts and free games around, making everyone a happy camper. i know you think you did some great stuff, you were 14, blah blah blah -- i've been doing this shit since i'm 13, so i know where you're coming from. i did the same exact shit.

however, even though doing a fan site isn't worth it for the money (which you won't make) or the fame (no one cares about you unless you make up the rumor-of-the-week or happen to give out a C- to the newest game), it's still the best first step when you're entering the journalism field for games. i'm 19 now, and i have my own mini-freelancing career, one that didn't start until a year ago. that means i was doing everything on my own, for free, with no one caring except for the fact that i had an afro (which didn't happen until a few years ago) or that i was really young and that was cRaZyYYYZz for 5+ years.

that blows, but it was worth every minute. i really love what i'm able to do now -- being able to call up a company and say 'hi, i'm with such and such magazine' and finally be able to organize the stories -i- want to write -- it's an amazing feeling. it's a lot of hard work and 95% of people with good intentions don't make it, but if you're really digging it, there's no reason not to try.

also, coot -- you're thinking of sega otaku, right? lee made a video of me playing DDR and added assassination + u r a fag text :(

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
they started some multi-platform site later. i forget what it was called. zero gravity or something like that. all i remember were stories of homoeroticism in wwf warzone with gay-themed screen caps.

WarPig

TheDiave said:
Well, Gamefan more or less set him up to fail. He was the butt of all their jokes...

They also paid him something on the order of $60K a year (this being when GameFan was flush with Eidos' cash), so I had (and have) a hard time feeling sympathy.

DFS.

beerbelly

Banned
Differentiation + being able to meet or exceed your initial expectations. How exactly are you going to get in contact with industry insiders? And what will make your website so unique that others should choose yours over, say, Gaming-age?

Seth C

Dennis Day and Matt LeMay weren't jackasses? Maybe you're talking about another "Dennis and Matt L." or something. Come on, those two were the very definition. Matt is a friend of mine, and I've known him for at least 8 years now, so I say it as a friend. He's a jackass, and even more then than he is now.

Bog

Junior Ace
eXxy said:
also, coot -- you're thinking of sega otaku, right? lee made a video of me playing DDR and added assassination + u r a fag text :(

Oh, you mean CHAINGANG?

I'd have to agree with most of the sentiments in this thread.

A fansite is usually best approached as a "hobby". If you're looking to get recognition, money or any other sort of benefit from it beyond personal enjoyment...really, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

And if you actually do manage to create something special with your website, no one really appreciates you until you're gone.

It's sometimes a lonely feeling...to be a fansite.

Anyways, my only suggestion for you is...make sure that whatever route you go or whatever approach you have when making your website and content...make sure you enjoy it. You'll be putting a lot of hours into it, so as long as you enjoy it, you won't have any regrets when you reflect on things five years from now.

Top Bottom