• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMACOMPUTA

You're suggesting that to solve the problem of people being killed resisting arrest, we should make the penalties for resisting arrest extremely high, so that people stop doing it.

I'm saying forget the middleman, let's make the penalties for killing someone resisting arrest extremely high, so that people stop doing it.

Uhh, right now the penalties for resisting arrest are extremely high.. Death.

Cyan

Banned
Uhh, right now the penalties for resisting arrest are extremely high.. Death.

Right, it seems a bit much to try to fix people being killed for resisting arrest by making the actual legal penalty also extremely high. Great, so you're not dead, you just have your life ruined. Not the kind of improvement I'd be looking for.

Tawpgun

I get the protesters are sending a message and such.

But it is kind of annoying when they disrupt innocent people's lives. My gf just got off work and told me she's stuck because protesters in Boston shut down one of the subway lines.

IMACOMPUTA

But it is kind of annoying when they disrupt innocent people's lives. My gf just got off work and told me she's stuck because protesters in Boston shut down one of the subway lines.

One man's annoying = another man's life of being treated shitty/dead son/etc.

edit: also, borough (or boro i guess) not burrow. we arent gophers.

Sorry, that's embarrassing. I'm stoned, trying to watch TV and type at the same time. Fail!

How can people think the cop was justified in killing someone?

It is beyond baffling.

A woman interviewed said it was "unfortunate" but that the guy "had a rap sheet" (I guess that's grounds for being killed.) She also asked, "What else was the cop supposed to do?" So, clearly has no idea choke holds are prohibited or any of that; just an ignorant twit.

USC-fan

Banned
But the police do have a choice on the level of force used in their arrest. Make killing someone heavily punished and you damn well bet they'd be a lot more careful. (And again, the problem here isn't resisting arrest, it's the police using too much force and killing someone.)

But I don't think draconian levels of punishment are necessary. How about we start with taking these things to trial?

It is heavily punished. It the most major crime you can do.

Police have to make split season decisions. It easy to play monday morning QB and say this force was too much because he die. Most people wouldnt die from this.

I dont even think he would have die if the EMT gave him medical treatment right away. That seem to be the bigger issue that gets overlooked.

A woman interviewed said it was "unfortunate" but that the guy "had a rap sheet" (I guess that's grounds for being killed.) She also asked, "What else was the cop supposed to do?" So, clearly has no idea choke holds are prohibited or any of that; just an ignorant twit.
It was reported he was doing a "selt belt" take down. This is something the police are trained to do. Was that ever confirmed or not?

Tawpgun

One man's annoying = another man's life of being treated shitty/dead son/etc.

I get that, in the grand scheme of things its a minor inconvenience but I just think there's gotta be another way to get the that visibility without annoying people with the entire thing.

Even people who support the protesters can be negatively impacted by the protests.

I really feel for your gf.

Protesters should stick to live journal.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I get that, in the grand scheme of things its a minor inconvenience but I just think there's gotta be another way to get the that visibility without annoying people with the entire thing.

Even people who support the protesters can be negatively impacted by the protests.

It's annoying but you got to deal with it. Your our my convenience as spectators doesn't matter now.

Tawpgun

I remember seeing some kind of protest... forget what country it was in, I want to say Japan.

Where protesters flooded the streets but once the traffic lights turned green they let cars through.
----------------

I understand its importance, I just think its giving any opponents more ammo.

It is heavily punished. It the most major crime you can do.

Police have to make split season decisions. It easy to play monday morning QB and say this force was too much because he die. Most people wouldnt die from this.

I dont even think he would have die if the EMT gave him medical treatment right away. That seem to be the bigger issue that gets overlooked.

It was reported he was doing a "selt belt" take down. This is something the police are trained to do. Was that ever confirmed or not?

Tow that line, buddy. Get that union paycheck!

Dai101

Banned
Protesters should stick to live journal.

Fuck that, they should stick to their own basement!! /s

NVsjY26.jpg

royalan

There isn't.

Nothing changes without inconveniencing somebody, in some way. If people can just ignore what you're doing they aren't going to pay attention or even think about your message. These protests that do inconvenience others make it so that they can't be ignored. Yea there are people that have nothing to do with what's going on but at the same time those up top see this shit and hopefully it incites some type of change.

zoku88

I remember seeing some kind of protest... forget what country it was in, I want to say Japan.

Where protesters flooded the streets but once the traffic lights turned green they let cars through.
----------------

When I think of countries that have major political changes due to peaceful actions, I think of Japan...

Mully

this was mentioned early on and then apparently either forgotten about or the story changed. either way, id like a definitive answer. if you use search terms looking for that specifically they all mention he broke up a fight, but most of the general stories dont. i would also like to know if he was selling cigarettes at the time or if the cops hassled him because he was known to them from selling cigarettes in the past. .

Is there any source that can confirm this? Most sources point towards him selling illegal cigarettes in the past and that's really it. Was he selling cigarettes that day and was he breaking up a fight?

entremet

Is there any source that can confirm this? Most sources point towards him selling illegal cigarettes in the past and that's really it. Was he selling cigarettes that day and was he breaking up a fight?
The selling cigs thing wasn't true I heard. But I need to find sources.

----------------

A minor inconvenience after an incredible injustice went down is giving opponents ammo? and what kind of ammo are we talking about here? is it made out of snowflakes? Because it's practically nothing.

A minor inconvenience after an incredible injustice went down is giving opponents ammo? and what kind of ammo are we talking about here? is it made out of snowflakes? Because it's practically nothing.

Racists and apathetic people can get ammo from anything. Best to ignore them and continue on.

Jakten

Don't underestimate the strength of public opinion.

I doubt that many people who equate the inconvenience of being late to the trend of police brutality and systemic oppression probably don't plan on changing their opinion anyways. That ignorance is why this problem exists in the first place and is why it's existed for a long time. It's their own fault for being ignorant.

There's a reason why these protests are growing in size and number, not everyone is going to look at the protests with contempt. People are also realizing there is a serious problem because of them.

I just saw the footage now.

I'm not American so it doesn't matter what I think, but seeing a person begging for help choked to death.. it's truly heart breaking.

I will be much more careful and proactive now if such concerns are ever raised in my community.

Acid08

Banned

What's more "annoying": living in a country where cops are free to murder or protesters?

p3tran

Banned
what is "FALSE ALARM" about this?
to me, it does look like the black person has his hands ...tied? behind his back, is laying down on the road and an officer pulls a choke on him? while tied and down?

edit: ok, I missed the "ealrier in the year" part. still alarming imo.

Indicate

what is "FALSE ALARM" about this?
to me, it does look like the black person has his hands ...tied? behind his back, is laying down on the road and an officer pulls a choke on him? while tied and down?

Twitter and tumblr said it was at the eric garner protest, thats why i said that. i edited my original post but wasn't quick enough.

The problem with that, and believe me I don't want to play devil's advocate, is that people say that kind of thing when they're arrested all the time. Watch Cops and you'll always see someone saying "I can't breathe" or "you're breaking my arm". Usually drunks. Of course that's not what was happening here, and police should always be on the lookout if the suspect is in genuine distress.

The distinction is that people are using the "He could breathe because he could talk" excuse AFTER watching him die and seeing that he clearly wasn't saying it just to complain. If he had said over and over again "I can't breathe" and then lived afterward, that's one thing. But he says "I can't breathe" and then dies and I still see folks try to construe his pleading as crying wolf. It's like they watch him die and then immediately block out the fact that he's dead.

It's like saying you can't die from the flu because at some point in history someone has faked being sick. Totally absurd logic.

kehs

Banned
The U.S. Department of Justice found “reasonable cause” to believe the Cleveland police department has routinely used excessive force, following the conclusion of a civil rights investigation launched last year to examine hundreds of cases, Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday.

“We have determined that there is reasonable cause to believe that the Cleveland Division of Public Police engages in a pattern and practice of using excessive force,” Holder said. The actions, he said, were the result of systemic deficiencies, such as inadequate training and equipment, ineffective policies and inadequate engagement in the community.

“We must seek to heal the breakdowns that we have seen,” Holder added. He said the problems are both complex and longstanding.

The recent cases “have really raised urgent, national questions, and they have sparked an important conversation about the sense of trust that must exist between law enforcement and the communities that they serve and protect,” Holder said.

Wish this eric holder had been around for the past few years, but it's still good to see this outspoken acknowledgement about the issue from someone inside the mix.

http://on.msnbc.com/1pZ4EhY

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Rand Paul got on CNN and blamed it on cigarette taxes.

When you do the research, it's true. NYC has a law against selling black market cigs. The police were called out to arrest Garner for selling cigs. If selling cigs didn't matter, and for gods sakes its cigs not drugs, this would have never happened.

Now we can go further into detail about the takedown the cop did and all that, but there are several things in this case that led up to those cops being their in the first place and it had nothing to do with him being black.

quickwhips

That isn't a big deal. As long as protesters don't block fire engines or police cars or ambulances. I'm pretty much ok. I would hope if someone was driving in a car and said they were trying to reach hospital protesters would let them through. Other than that to bad.

When you do the research, it's true. NYC has a law against selling black market cigs. The police were called out to arrest Garner for selling cigs. If selling cigs didn't matter, and for gods sakes its cigs not drugs, this would have never happened.

Now we can go further into detail about the takedown the cop did and all that, but there are several things in this case that led up to those cops being their in the first place and it had nothing to do with him being black.

It was just Rand Paul deflecting the real issue.
The real issue was that this man was killed for a non violent crime.

It didn't have to be cigarettes. It could have been petty theft, not wearing a bike helmet, anything.

So yes, while a questionable law lead the man to be confronted by police, the rest has nothing to do with cigarettes.

The issue is disproportional use of force, not cigarettes. And Rand Paul didn't really want to acknowledge that.

jmood88

No, that's not the reason this happened, that's blaming the symptom and not the problem. If it wasn't cigarettes, it would've been loitering, or whatever other stupid reason an nypd officer can come up with for harassing black people. White people need to stop looking at these as rare individual circumstances and understand why non-whites are getting so upset.

Stet

Banned

aha

And if that cop had lost his arm to diabetes, he never would've been able to choke anyone in the first place and it wouldn't have happened. This is really the fault of the anti-sugar lobby.

It's really inconvenient. Those protestors blocking the counters at Sears.
Ooops. Wrong decade.

The cops being there in the first place isn't the issue. That's their job. But they're paid and trained to utilize NOT lethal force and that's just something that has gone COMPLETELY off the fucking rails. Now if someone resists even in the fucking slightest they can be killed with impunity?

Fuck that.

It's really inconvenient. Those protestors blocking the counters at Sears.
Ooops. Wrong decade.

I mean, I respect the protesters but I'd be heated if I get stuck in mid-town tonight cause trains got shut down. But eventually I'd get over it cause shit like that is required to get attention of the political leadership.

tbm24

The police were not called out there because of Garner selling cigs. The cops were summoned to break up a fight that Garner had already broken up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom