• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cops are seemingly out of control for a while now. People used to look at me funny when I said it. Glad the issue is getting nation wide coverage. Real sad people have to die to get it to happen.

rjinaz

What is this about Garner selling "untaxed cigarettes" that people keep whining about?

My understanding is, you go out of state and buy the cigs cheaper, then sell them on the street. It's illegal sure. Guy should have gotten a ticket not a mob of cops surrounding him for the take down. If he even was selling them at that time, though he had a history of doing it.

El Odio

Banned
I love how the police keep trying to say they're the victims in this whole situation. Their such victims they get to go home and cry about it while the other guy, well, you know.

It is clear that in NYC money is far more important than civil rights. So I'm glad that the people voice against that because if it not it'll just be gone forever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It is clear that in America money is far more important than civil rights. So I'm glad that the people voice against that because if it not it'll just be gone forever.

I fixed that for you. It's not just NYC dude, it's the whole damn country.

Coreda

Wtf
When police came to arrest him, he resisted. And if he could repeatedly say, "I can't breathe," it means he could breathe.
"Police officers feel like they are being thrown under the bus," said Patrick Lynch, president of the police union.

But Lynch said: "What we did not hear is this: You cannot go out and break the law. What we did not hear is that you cannot resist arrest. That's a crime."

Dat name.

Patrick Lynch in 2011 defends cops fixing tickets for friends and family

But the NYPD's defenders say recent corruption allegations are overblown in a department with 35,000 officers. On the day the charges of fixing tickets were announced, dozens of off-duty officers rallied in the Bronx in support of the defendants while police union President Patrick Lynch held a news conference.

"Taking care of your family, taking care of your friends, taking care of those who support New York City police officers and law enforcement is not a crime, period," Lynch told reporters.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/01/142909989/is-nypd-commissioner-raymond-kelly-bulletproof

What a fucking asshole.

Kettch

We seem to have a lot of experts on when someone can breathe or not. Especially law enforcement.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/man-dies-after-struggle-with-mall-security

In the above video you can see Cochran struggling under three mall security guards while yelling "I can't breathe, I can't breathe." To which one of the guards replied "If you can talk, you can breathe."

Shortly following Cochran lost consciousness causing the security guards to call for back up and paramedics.

By the time the Southfield Police arrived, Cochran had a pulse, but was not responsive. He was transported to Providence hospital where he died.

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-lapd-custody-death-20140823-story.html#page=2

From the moment Los Angeles police handcuffed him, Jorge Azucena told officers he needed help.

"I can't breathe, I can't breathe," he pleaded. "I have asthma, I have asthma."

In the half-hour or so after his arrest late one night last September, Azucena said over and over that he was struggling for breath. Numerous LAPD officers and sergeants heard his pleas for medical attention but ignored them even as his condition visibly worsened.

"You can breathe just fine," one sergeant told him. "You can talk, so you can breathe."

When they arrived at the station, Azucena collapsed to his knees as he tried to get out of the patrol car, according to the reports. One officer told him "that he needed to act like a man and walk," according to the inspector general's report.

Nearly 40 minutes after Azucena was taken into custody, paramedics arrived and tried to revive him before taking him to a hospital. Doctors there tried for a few more hours before declaring him dead.

bsod

Banned
Better 100 guilty ones free then 1 convicted wrongly.

Or does this not apply to cops ?

He wasn't even tried, though. The Grand Jury determines if there's enough evidence to indict. Indictment leads to a criminal trial, where he'd have his day in court and a judge or jury determines if he's guilty or not.

lednerg

Better 100 guilty ones free then 1 convicted wrongly.

Or does this not apply to cops ?

Dead victims of police violence get to be tried by secret courts without the need for things such as cross examinations or whatever, and this is all done by people who are clearly biased in favor towards the cops in question. This is obviously completely fair since there aren't laws against it.

You have to go to trial first before you can have a conviction. And the irrefutable video evidence shows pretty strongly that a conviction in this case would be anything but 'wrong'.

That's really one of the most amazing things about all this. He wasn't found innocent or guilty... the grand jury decided he'd done something so harmless that it doesn't even warrant a trial. Just astonishing. I guess a prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich, but not a pig.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
We seem to have a lot of experts on when someone can breathe or not. Especially law enforcement.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/man-dies-after-struggle-with-mall-security

From the moment Los Angeles police handcuffed him, Jorge Azucena told officers he needed help.

"I can't breathe, I can't breathe," he pleaded. "I have asthma, I have asthma."

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-lapd-custody-death-20140823-story.html#page=2
Speaking from experience, when you're having an asthma attack it feels like you're not getting any air because your lungs and airway are constricting. You're essentially choking. So the first thing you think of to say is, "I can't breathe." Stress compounds the issue. Additional compression on your lungs would make it nearly impossible to breathe. The chokehold didn't help but the dog pile was just as, if not even more dangerous. When combined with health complications like asthma that can quickly be fatal, and this is not the first time someone has died that way.

I think we have to question whether such a violent arrest is necessary for a non violent suspect. There types of arrests can be dangerous. They know who he was. He was not going to run away. He was feeling harassed and frustrated. Understandably so. Suspicion of loosies don't require an immediate response from a team of officers. Although that comes down to police discretion, not a change in laws. It requires an attitudinal change in how policing is conducted in Staten Island.

I'm not surprised the legal system didn't get people the result they were looking for. The legal system gives you no way to negotiate the terms of your arrest, and gives the arresting officers a substantial amount of latitude in the amount of force they can use to arrest you. I don't even think chokeholds are illegal. It would be a difficult case, assuming that the prosecutor even decided to make an effort (and he didn't). The legal system is not your friend here.

It's going to take decades to fix what's broken but maybe in the near term they can put compassion and genuine concern for the community at a higher priority than arrest quotas. Maybe the policy makers will start feeling the pressure to do so.

I love how the police keep trying to say they're the victims in this whole situation. Their such victims they get to go home and cry about it while the other guy, well, you know.

They're used to being able to do what they want to minorities with impunity, so of course the union will defend the police to the bitter end. Its actually kind of funny how even the slightest comment that doesn't go in their favor will make them double down hard.

Coins

Banned
I believe the cop should be indicted for manslaughter, no doubt. I'm curious how people think this situation should have been handled. How do you move a big guy who doesn't want to move? A baton or tazer is too much force for this situation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I believe the cop should be indicted for manslaughter, no doubt. I'm curious how people think this situation should have been handled. How do you move a big guy who doesn't want to move? A baton or tazer is too much force for this situation.

You keep talking. The guy was not an immediate threat to the officers, or other members of the public. He was standing there. He was non-compliant, but he was NOT resisting. There was absolutely no reason to escalate things to physical force.

Coins

Banned
You keep talking. The guy was not an immediate threat to the officers, or other members of the public. He was standing there. He was non-compliant, but he was NOT resisting. There was absolutely no reason to escalate things to physical force.

I just agreed with you? So my question is how do you move a non compliant person?

Hugely saddened. The force used by the cops was excessive to say the least.

At the point where the victim is saying that he can't breathe he should have been cuffed and allowed to manouvere to a position allowing air into his airwaves. He shouldn't have resisted arrest, however the force in used in relation to the situation is not right.

I don't understand how there can be any other explanation in this case other than the cop committed murder.

The other recent case was completley different to this so my opinion differs there but on this one?

The cop/cops should be tried for Murder and assisting in a murder.

jmood88

Or how about you don't treat a petty misdemeanor like you're taking out Bin Laden. There was absolutely no reason for the allegation of such a small crime to justify that response.

Chariot

Or how about you don't treat a petty misdemeanor like you're taking out Bin Laden. There was absolutely no reason for the allegation of such a small crime to justify that response.
Yeah. They just could've cuffed him normally while standing. There was no need in bringing him to the ground and sit on him.

Coins

Banned

So maybe answer my question? Lol. What's the the correct response?

So maybe answer my question? Lol. What's the the correct response?

There were multiple cops there. They could've easily restrained him without choking and sitting on him. Hell, at the very least they could've ended the chokehold and moved on to cuffing him when he said he couldn't breathe.

Why did the cops even need to arrest him? Couldn't they just give him a ticket or summon him to court? Was the crime so bad they needed to arrest him?

PopeReal

This is all the white majority needs to hear. Thanks for that.

The police union and majority of Americans have learned jack shit from this whole thing.

At best they whine about being inconvenienced by protests or tell the prostesters how exactly they should protest.

At worst they put all blame on the black people they kill and/or celebrate it.

At best, at worst, and everything in between is what keeping this country stuck in this hateful shit. Some American citizens are allowed more freedom than others and the status quo is fine with that.

JoeBoy101

Incidentally, and not sure if posted yet...

Explosive Device Found Near Durham Protests

Durham police found an undetonated explosive device late Saturday morning in an area where about 20 protesters were arrested Friday evening.

Officers responded to a call about a suspicious device in the 600 block of Foster Street between West Geer Street and West Corporation Street.

They found an undetonated device – a bottle with a wick and a petroleum-based liquid inside of it.

The device was safely removed from the area, authorities said.

More at the link.

Kettch

I don't even understand the "resisting arrest" comments. The guy just puts his arms up. It's not like he ran or attacked the cops, the worst he can be accused of is arguing.

docbon

Stuff going down at DC
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/untol...=JPER&utm_medium=FlashPlayer&utm_source=embed

edit: It's calm now. Apparently Capitol Police punched a protester. Only saw the part where there was shoving between protesters and police.

l m a o

these dudes in the restaraunt giving the camera man the stink eye as they walk past, so he stops in his tracks and starts filming them. dude then puts his cellphone against the window with 911 ready to be dialed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom