• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indicate

Harvard Medical Students Protest Ferguson, NYC Cases
Harvard Medical School students joined students from some 40 other medical schools across the country Wednesday in protesting the deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police and racial inequality in medical treatment.
http://www.wbur.org/2014/12/10/harvard-medical-ferguson-nyc-protest
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...es_n_6304736.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000051
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2014/decem...‘die-ins’-and-protests-wednesday-because-blac

1210_harvard-die-in01-620x413.jpg

1210_harvard-die-in04.jpg

PNHP ‏@PNHP
"University of Chicago Medical School #whitecoats4blacklives #BlackLivesMatter #ICantBreathe #HandsUpDontShoot"
B4hJKYWCUAAsW6D.jpg

PNHP ‏@PNHP
"RT @DabAggin: What do future doctors do on a cold day in the heart of North Philly? This. #WhiteCoats4BlackLives"
B4gqQ2vIYAAk9Sh.jpg:small

PhilipAhern ‏@PhilipAhern
"#WashU #DieIn #EricGarner #Ferguson #BlackLivesMatter #whitecoats4blacklives"
B4hdtwWCYAEl_5j.jpg:medium

GobFather

While at the same time saying that looters are inviting police brutality.

Sure, but not while blaming the victims of police brutality on those looters. The two have nothing to do with one another.

where did he blame the victims of police brutality on the looters? Maybe you should RE-READ IT. He said it was B.S. what those looters were doing...so... explain to me again.

IF anything, it is the LOOTERS that are taking advantage of the victims of police brutality.

Harvard Medical Students Protest Ferguson, NYC Cases

http://www.wbur.org/2014/12/10/harvard-medical-ferguson-nyc-protest
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...es_n_6304736.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000051

1210_harvard-die-in01-620x413.jpg

1210_harvard-die-in04.jpg

PNHP ‏@PNHP
"University of Chicago Medical School #whitecoats4blacklives #BlackLivesMatter #ICantBreathe #HandsUpDontShoot"
B4hJKYWCUAAsW6D.jpg

PNHP ‏@PNHP
"RT @DabAggin: What do future doctors do on a cold day in the heart of North Philly? This. #WhiteCoats4BlackLives"
B4gqQ2vIYAAk9Sh.jpg:small

PhilipAhern ‏@PhilipAhern
"#WashU #DieIn #EricGarner #Ferguson #BlackLivesMatter #whitecoats4blacklives"
B4hdtwWCYAEl_5j.jpg:medium

I saw the pics from UC Davis earlier. This is great. I'm kind of amazed at how widespread these protests have become. Can't wait to see the turnout in NYC on Saturday.

jmood88

where did he blame the victims of police brutality on the looters? Maybe you should RE-READ IT. He said it was B.S. what those looters were doing...so... explain to me again.

IF anything, it is the LOOTERS that are taking advantage of the victims of police brutality.
Mexican Sting said:
Police brutality has got to stop, but it's honestly being invited by some the actions of these people who are just using the protests to riot and straight up commit robbery.
Please explain to me what "it's being invited by some of the actions of these people..." is supposed to mean, then.

Please explain to me what "it's being invited by some of the actions of these people..." is supposed to mean, then.

It's concern trolling. The correct answer is "nothing justifies police brutality". Other police forces in the world can be both professional and non-violent.

Indicate

There's a bunch of events planned for Saturday. The Ferguson National Response Network Tumblr has started to list them. You can find some stuff on fergusonaction.com too.

--NOTE TO NON-BLACK ALLIES--
-Please refrain from taking up physical and digital space (this includes filling the Facebook event with your feelings, trolling/harassing organisers/other black folks, etc.). If you see a Black person behind you unable to see, offer them your spot.
-Please refrain from speaking to the media. There are countless unheard Black voices in this story, please allow those voices to be highlighted.
-Please don’t make a collective action mourning the loss of Black people killed by Police into an opportunity for the expression of your individual feelings as a white person/ally.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1405592546398541/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

Toronto should be doing it like the hundreds of other cities. Their protest already got negative feedback from the media and other blacklivesmatter supporters last time. They're not going to get the numbers if they're going to have these restrictions.

lednerg

Toronto should be doing it like the hundreds of other cities. Their protest already got negative feedback from the media and other blacklivesmatter supporters last time. They're not going to get the numbers if they're going to have these restrictions.

Private citizens don't have the authority to tell others what they can or can't do on public property. When you act like you do somehow have that authority, you're inevitably going to end up fracturing the unity of the group. It doesn't matter how good your intentions are, or if you are only 'asking' them. It would be far more beneficial for them to have discussions beforehand where people voice their concerns so that others can then choose to adjust their behavior on their own. These kinds of groups function much better as democracies than otherwise.

Indicate

headline_list_illus2.jpg
headline_list_illus2.jpg
headline_list_illus2.jpg
headline_list_illus2.jpg

An undercover California Highway Patrol officer who was attempting to infiltrate a demonstration against police brutality in Oakland pulled a gun on the protesters after he and his partner were outed and the partner was attacked.

“Just as we turned up 27th Street, the crowd started yelling at these two guys, saying they were undercover cops,” Short said Thursday. “Somebody snatched a hat off the shorter guy’s head and he was fumbling around for it. A guy ran up behind him, knocked him down on the ground. That guy jumped backed up and chased after him and tackled him and the crowd began surging on them.

“The other taller guy had a small baton out,” Short said. “But as the crowd started surging on them, he pulled out a gun.”

Chief Browne said the officer also pulled out a badge and identified himself as law enforcement, as is department policy, though Short, other members of the media and protesters reported that they did not see a badge.

The officers, who Browne said he is not identifying, had been trailing the crowd in an unmarked car and began following on foot at Ninth and Harrison streets, after vandals marching with the group had smashed the windows of a T-Mobile store in Oakland’s Chinatown neighborhood and made off with merchandise. A nearby Wells Fargo ATM was also damaged.

While the officer fought with the man on the ground, a blonde woman ran up and kicked him the head, Browne said. She was not arrested, but the officer suffered head injuries and is displaying concussion-like symptoms.

He said the main objective of these officers was to collect information on where the group was going. He said they were able to gather that information from their car in the back, overhearing plans to take Highway 24 and Interstate 80 twice on Tuesday and enabling other CHP officers to prevent those attempts.

Several protesters took to Twitter to say that the officers had actually instigated acts of vandalism and were banging on windows alongside others.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Undercover-cops-outed-attacked-at-Oakland-5951011.php#/0

I just realized I've been posting a lot. I'll be doing it less frequently now.

The more I think about this, the more "no shit" it is.

The centuries of racism against black people, to an extent, is almost beside the point. It's really about a handful of factors that, put together, makes this completely inevitable. Just remove all the factors that we may want to pin as an "American problem" and pretend we're talking about some completely random fictional country with no discernible past or culture, and pretend that this country has the following:

-A police force that doesn't care about, and in some cases actually seeks, uneducated people to hire as officers
-A lack of training and consistent practice in firearms for these officers, but they're encouraged to keep them on themselves all the time anyway
-The promise that, if they happen to kill someone, they'll be protected from consequences

How is this problem in the United States anything but incredibly obvious, when we have the above? This isn't even about the US in particular, it's just common fucking sense. Give uneducated people guns and tell them they're protected from the law and is there anyone on this fucking planet who would be genuinely surprised when they start shooting and killing hundreds per year?

Kettch

Ha, I thought some random person had run up and started attacking the cops at first, guess I should know better.

In case anyone didn't watch, kid is being restrained against a car by a group of officers when a plain clothes cop runs up from behind and starts punching the kid.

Indicate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4OOcGfVWns
Off topic but still relevant.

WKBW Buffalo said:
"He was handcuffed in the front and he was sideways and being punched in the face by Gregory Kwiatkowski," explained Horne.

Horne and about 10 other officers who arrived at the scene helped drag Mack out of the home. But once outside Horne says Officer Kwiatkowski was out of control.

"Gregory Kwiatkowski turned Neal Mack around and started choking him. So then I'm like, 'Greg! You're choking him,' because I thought whatever happened in the house he was still upset about so when he didn't stop choking him I just grabbed his arm from around Neal Mack's neck," said Horne.

If that choke hold of a handcuffed suspect caught Horne off guard, it didn't prepare her for what she says Kwiatkowski did next.

"He comes up and punches me in the face and I had to have my bridge replaced," said Horne.

Officer Kwiatkowski was forced to retire from the police department after he was suspended for choking another officer on the job, and in a separate incident, punching another officer when he was off the clock.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/fired-buffalo-cop-id-do-it-again

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So there was a pro-police rally last night in NYC.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton and the police unions had discouraged their officers from attending the rally, which claimed the hashtag #BlueLivesMatter. Roughly fifty people showed up. When tens of thousands of people are marching in the streets under the banner of justice, it seems like a bad time to publicly proclaim your faith in the status quo.

LOL

121914main.jpg

121914policemom.jpg

121914main2.jpg

121914shrug.jpg

Of course the pro-cop protesters are old white people.

SykoTech

Between that video and the pro-NYPD rally, this is a pretty depressing page.

Willingly to bet that officer's investigation goes nowhere as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom