• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is "fun" spelled "bad" now?

there are better uses of your time than collecting orbs + mediocre shooting when there's not even a story to pull you in

i wouldn't say it's entirely bad because it's derivative of sr4 and sr3 which were much better but it's pretty bad as in it doesn't have a real story (as in humor) and that's kind of the draw of saints row nowadays and all the other stuff is done better in sr4

i can't even remember if it has a proper dildo bat

Ludens

Banned
there are better uses of your time than collecting orbs + mediocre shooting when there's not even a story to pull you in

i wouldn't say it's entirely bad because it's derivative of sr4 and sr3 which were much better but it's pretty bad as in it doesn't have a real story (as in humor) and that's kind of the draw of saints row nowadays and all the other stuff is done better in sr4

i can't even remember if it has a proper dildo bat

Eh, I know. I mean, Gat out of Hell is exactly the stuff I usually skip when doing Saints games (I only do main missions and sides with some kind of "plot").
But still people wrote there are some nice cutscenes, this is why I want to get it, but only for a really cheap price.

Hektor

I think i'm going to believe it today and tomorrow so i'll be able to witness it on the weekend. Tho, i also wanted to free the oxen at some point.

there greatest tragedy of our era is that 50 cent blood on the sands never got a steam release

Get low, get low!

man xcom is so filled with content, it's kind of insane just how much stuff is in it, all these different enemy types and different missions and locations and upgrades and whatnot

Most of the missions are randomly generated, so you'll never really run out of content to see in later playthroughs.

This game is going to have leeeeeeeegs.

Buraindo

Why does everyone that isn't an important character in Far Cry 3 sound like they're talking through Skype from a basement with a low quality microphone?

man xcom is so filled with content, it's kind of insane just how much stuff is in it, all these different enemy types and different missions and locations and upgrades and whatnot

it's super impressive

Most of the missions are randomly generated, so you'll never really run out of content to see in later playthroughs.

Well, shit. My hype meter just raised a little bit there after reading these.
Or maybe more than just a little bit.

Need moar steam money. ಥ_ಥ

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh, I know. I mean, Gat out of Hell is exactly the stuff I usually skip when doing Saints games (I only do main missions and sides with some kind of "plot").
But still people wrote there are some nice cutscenes, this is why I want to get it, but only for a really cheap price.
honestly, there's like 2 nice cutscenes in the whole game and you should just youtube it

youtube the
singing
cutscene. it's not much of a spoiler, tho it was a nice surprise when playing it

but that's about it for the game

and lots of modding support

needs to run better for me to consider a second run but i'm really impressed at how packed with content it is

it's like exactly what i wanted

Vuze

Some spare keys!
Firs time with ModBot, hope everything is ok.
Cheers, everything worked fine!
So it seems like some people are beginning to receive their Hitman beta codes from Amazon. Did you receive anything?
I didn't even know these orders were eligible for the beta... ffff I hope Amazon didn't try to charge my prepaid CC because of this (didn't offset it yet). But I didn't receive any notification about anything regarding this order, so I guess everything's fine.

E: Oh, right there on the store page. derp
uMc7qPX.png

Hektor

ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xWBm0BY.png
uplay Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon -- MB-289ACF3F06E50EB2 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 6 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
uplay Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory -- MB-CB832BB78CA1444E - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.

t1455106510z1.png

Ucchedavāda;194788424 said:
What kind of issues does the game have, other than performance related ones?
Recalling some posts from the OT, some people have problems with transitioning between outdoors and indoors, characters getting stuck or that sort of things that might break your game if you're playing Ironman mode.

Corpekata

Banned

Weird things like animations not playing and simply reporting the results. Things like robots jumping high into the air (usually because they are leaping up onto a roof) and staying there for the following turn. Some event timers going past 0 into negatives. There's a load of weird bugs. Seem to happen the longer a game is going.

Echoplx

The biggest one I know of is if you create a save and quit while a chryssalid is burrowed it will corrupt your save.

I wouldn't recommend Ironman at this point for sure, but most of the bugs are manageable.

The game itself is amazing, even my hatred of RNG doesn't sour me on it.
okay maybe a little

dex3108

I did small experiment regarding SteamSpy numbers for XCOM 2 and results are surprisingly good. I tried to see if there is connection between number of concurrent players on release day and number of sold copies after 3 days. And you can guess range of sold copies. It is not super accurate but it is not wrong that much ether (i predicted between 500K and 600K and number is 560K) . And this experiment was based on a few new releases and their numbers (RotTR, The Witness, Just Cause 3...). Most common multiplier was around N = 7 (number of concurrent users day one x N = number of copies after 3 days). I wonder if there is more to this when you look data at larger scale? Is there some kind of average multiplier that could be used for rough prediction? Or this is only isolated case? :D

Ryne

Children of Morta finally up on steam to be added to the wish list. Thanks Lashman.

Looking at the videos, it's really well animated (in the realm of HLD but obviously not there), and I'm really intrigued by the story.

Wish I backed it when I could :(

Lain

Have you ever played Lost Vikings?

edit: What's that newish (as in ~2010 that's kinda like Lostr Vikings too)

Yeah, played it and it was damn fun, if it'll be anything closer it could be good.

-

I heard you guys love your all-cap shit, so here's some all-cap bundlestuff:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

CULTURES: NORTHLAND Plus 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD -- MB-9D17381C2794B7C4 - Taken by Kifimbo
HOCUS -- MB-F09578FDCB699EFA - Taken by redlacs
GARDEN RESCUE: CHRISTMAS EDITION -- MB-D7B3DEA8BE78BDD4 - Taken by titch
VIKTOR -- MB-09283D93E07D07E3 - Taken by NingenJanai
JOB THE LEPRECHAUN -- MB-D33A6E47EB03C47C - Taken by fuzzy123
MOONLIGHT MINIONS -- MB-4BB8E7328209ABDA - Taken by septicore
STARION TACTICS -- MB-673985F62DCA01FC - Taken by Vuze
AOF CHESS CLUB -- MB-593D72F2ED4BE81E - Taken by Kuroyume
TISNART TILES -- MB-ABE03A4864EE6F71 - Taken by Saty
SIMPLEROCKETS -- MB-6D1DB13979031EE3 - Taken by rainking187
GLORKIAN WARRIOR: THE TRIALS OF GLORK -- MB-313944A699B12522 - Taken by Benedict
COLONIES ONLINE -- MB-FB8AA807BF467DA7 - Taken by Eila
xheRJRF.gif
POSTAL -- MB-76413BD03D6007F9 - Taken by ExoSoul

Recalling some posts from the OT, some people have problems with transitioning between outdoors and indoors, characters getting stuck or that sort of things that might break your game if you're playing Ironman mode.

Weird things like animations not playing and simply reporting the results. Things like robots jumping high into the air (usually because they are leaping up onto a roof) and staying there for the following turn. Some event timers going past 0 into negatives. There's a load of weird bugs. Seem to happen the longer a game is going.

Thanks for the details.
While I am not concerned about performance issues, it still seems like it would be worth waiting a bit for the worst jank to get sorted out, before picking it up. And I haven't played EW yet, despite having owned it for a while.

I did small experiment regarding SteamSpy numbers for XCOM 2 and results are surprisingly good. I tried to see if there is connection between number of concurrent players on release day and number of sold copies after 3 days. And you can guess range of sold copies. It is not super accurate but it is not wrong that much ether (i predicted between 500K and 600K and number is 560K) . And this experiment was based on a few new releases and their numbers (RotTR, The Witness, Just Cause 3...). Most common multiplier was around N = 7 (number of concurrent users day one x N = number of copies after 3 days). I wonder if there is more to this when you look data at larger scale? Is there some kind of average multiplier that could be used for rough prediction? Or this is only isolated case? :D

I was thinking about something similar recently, but haven't gotten to actually implementing it, which would be trying to correlate the number of user reviews with the number of copies sold. However, I expect that using the peak / average number of players on release day will give a better indication, since reviews are subject to a number of biases / bandwagoning effects (like a bad release leading to inflated numbers of (negative) reviews).

Two factors I would consider looking at for your model would be the day-of-the-week and time-of-day the game was released, since I would expect that these could greatly influence the numbers of (concurrent) players you observe on release day.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Robin Hood -- MB-58CD9CCBDE5EFC92 - Taken by Regginator
Iron Storm -- MB-DA3C9E36B1F5B6F7
Nostradamus -- MB-27EA9B66D9373639

Ucchedavāda;194789453 said:
Thanks for the details.
While I am not concerned about performance issues, it still seems like it would be worth waiting a bit for the worst jank to get sorted out, before picking it up. And I haven't played EW yet, despite having owned it for a while.
Game seems to be fine for most people, just steer clear of Ironman for now, you couldn't reload to avoid technical problems in that mode.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Amazon Lumberyard engine clause permits unrestricted use in event of zombie apocalypse

Amazon released a brand new game engine yesterday. Unfortunate deforestational connotations aside, Lumberyard reads like a Good Thing: free, Twitch-integrated and by all appearances very capable. Naturally, there are limits to its use: developers are obliged to use Amazon’s Web Services if they’re in need of third-party servers, and a clause in the engine’s terms prevents its use in safety-critical systems like medical equipment, air traffic control, manned spacecraft or nuclear facilities.

However! Never one to consciously contribute to the downfall of civilisation, Amazon are prepared to waive that last clause in the event of an outbreak that finds the dead rising as carriers of a deadly viral infection.

That unlikely yet vivid scenario would clear Lumberyard developers to develop software for autonomous vehicles, aircraft and military systems connected to live combat, to name a smattering of examples. There are sensible precautions, of course: the pandemic would need to have been certified by the United States Centers for Diseases Control, or whoever the “successor body” is in this imagined broken society.

Here’s the precise wording of clause 57.10, buried at the bottom of the service terms for Amazon Web Services:

“This restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.”
You can’t fault them for clarity. Lumberyard’s other possibilities are less colourful but equally explicit: Amazon intend to make their money by lending Web Services like servers to the engine’s developers, and - in the final evolutionary step of Twitch Plays Pokémon - allow for in-game functions to be typed directly into Twitch chat.

Lumberyard’s first projects are in development at Amazon Game Studios right now. Whether they extend to emergency software designed for use against the undead, we can’t say.

Deques

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605535648

[imghttp://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/364032107054828330/68DAF424494F3BE71D38D5A2C04EACDF82BB992E/[/img]

That makes me wonder how games are accepted to the Steam store. There are ton of crap games that seems never gone through Greenlight and yet are released. While Danmaku which the second game is already is available in Steam store has go through Greenlight to be released. Why can't it skip the GL at all?

Arthea

There is a new scamming accounts outbreak on steam, apparently all measures Valve took did nothing.
stay safe steamgaf, don't accept friend requests you aren't sure about, especially with private profiles.

There is a new scamming accounts outbreak on steam, apparently all measures Valve took did nothing.
stay safe steamgaf, don't accept friend requests you aren't sure about, especially with private profiles.

My friend has a problem. He cant access his Steam Account. Can you maybe try to log in with yours here:
steamcomurnitycom/scamyou420

That makes me wonder how games are accepted to the Steam store. There are ton of crap games that seems never gone through Greenlight and yet are released. While Danmaku which the second game is already is available in Steam store has go through Greenlight to be released. Why can't it skip the GL at all?

I also wonder about that. Some publishers use it for PR purposes though like SekaiProject. They dont need to use Greenlight for their games, but do it nonetheless for whatever reason. I mean their games get GL in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom