• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbd23

With the discount for owning a souls game it comes out to 60.95 for a brand new game in canada

wow. what a time to be alive.

Phawx

CPFakg7.gif

giphy.gif

Ventara

So I just started Undertale (courtesy of a giveaway by Cth). Only played a few minutes so far, but it's a nice experience. That beginning of the tutorial was scary and a dirty trick, but Toriel has been a great guide. It's soothing having her show you around and making sure you're safe.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah think I'll stick with my £27 zavvi pre order for DS3

Now I need to get a season pass though >_<

I remember the days of the Russian bear :(
Pre ordered DS2 season pass for half price ;_;

Uraizen

Banned
I have no idea how to tell when a Canadian can send a game to someone in the US and vice versa. Somebody educate me because I got a game from someone last night and steamdb claims there's no cross region gifting for it.

Sch1sm

I have no idea how to tell when a Canadian can send a game to someone in the US and vice versa. Somebody educate me because I got a game from someone last night and steamdb claims there's no cross region gifting for it.

Canada and the US are the same region, we only get our own store when our dollar slips a bit.

Teggy

I spent some of my holiday day off playing 6-7 hours of Death To Spies. I really like it. It definitely has those features of a lot of stealth games where you wind up abusing saves if you don't want to get into firefights, but I think the game wanted to play it a little more realistically and I think that's ok. Trigger an alarm, for example, and you'll can have the entire level full of enemies after you, not just the ones in next room while everyone else ignores the screaming alarm. It's kind of on you if you are willing to deal with the consequences of being spotted or if you absolutely must finish as stealthy possible and will be hitting F8 over and over.

I guess the best description would be a combination of Hitman and a stealth espionage game, since disguises are very important, and you usually use your initial disguise to get access to a place where a better disguise is available.

Levels are not linear in any way, and your choice is not just stealth vs. loud, you also get multiple stealth choices. For example, do you find the paperwork to walk into the prison blocks and get your comrade out, or do you find the paperwork that will get your enemies to deliver him to an interrogation room to be rescued?

If Alekhine's Gun is going to be this formula with better graphics, I'll definitely have to get it.

Ozium

header.jpg

I beat SOMA the other day, took me around 9 hours.. I tried to explore as much as I could to get all the notes/audio files etc. Though I'm sure I missed some as some areas were too spoopy with the monsters and made me anxious so I just wanted to GTFO...

Really really enjoyed the setting, I love soft science fiction like stories like PKD.. The game references PKD at the start and actually follows through with how the game/story plays out.. not just in the overall plot but in the small touches that remind me of PKD style like the cute little maintenance robots and other quirky world building things.

Exploring derelict stations underwater, with the metal creaking from pressure is great... really nice lighting and generally atmosphere. Eploring the ocean floor was also pretty great, as it just looks pretty and eventually completely scary.. The ocen is really unknown to us and that is where horror lies. The part where you are in the deep sea is incredible.

It's not so much a horror game like Amnesia, it's more of a sci-fi adventure game with horror elements, but the game almost spooked me more than Amnesia.. In Amnesia there is constant dread and after a while I became numb to it.. In SOMA I feel the pacing is a lot better, with more downtime to focus on puzzles/story without fear of a monster, but it's those lulls that make the spoopy/intense moments more impactful for me.

thanks again to Uzzy for the raffle from which I won this excellent game.

9/10

tl;dr: SOMA is good, you should play it.

Street Fighter V seems to run at a steady 60 FPS at 4K outside of minor hitching in the character selection screen. Exciting!

Does disconnecting the vpn kick you out?

Edit: Nevermind at steady, lol.

Ozium

American Truck Simulator update.. not sure if posted?

Fines are now considerably lower in the early stages of the game, they grow larger only as the player's skill/level grows.

We have also made the detection code for speeding more forgiving, giving the player more time to adjust to a new speed limit. We definitely do not want to make players feel like the game is unfair!

More changes in this area are in the pipeline, our map team is hard at work adding more speed limit signs to proper places to explicitly zone the limits. There are also changes to the AI code that are tied to yet more map tweaks, which should further limit the problems with being rammed by overly stupid AI cars and on top of it getting penalized for it. But we will only be able to push out the changes in the map alongside the next major game update, so please have patience with us.

Also the Kenworth W900 is now available in the game

Kifimbo

I usually don't do recommendations, but I feel this one is not very well-known and it deserves more exposure.

Militia was part of the Hidden Gems Bundle 2 (Bundle Stars) a month ago, and last week I was looking for a simple and short game to play after finishing Mass Effect 3. Since 100% of the Steam reviews were positive, I picked Militia. After about 15 hours (so much for choosing a short game!), it's definitely a hidden gem. Militia is a turn-based strategy played on a board similar to a chess board or a checker board. Each "side" has a group of units, but yours are different from the A.I., and you only have three compared to usually more than 10 for your opponents.

Like chess, each unit does something unique. For example, the warrior (represented by the axe) can't move far and can only attack ennemies at close range. While the mage is most effective attacking from a distance, but you have to be careful not to hit your other two units. Earlier, I put the word "side" between quotation marks, because unlike chess units are placed almost randomly at the start of each game. Which means every battle is different.

When you win a game, you gain experience and eventually you level up, making each new game more difficult. You reach a point where you have to be careful before each move, which means games are much longer. You can't afford to lose one unit at level 8+. Just when the game started to feel repetitive, I realized I was playing the "Light World" mode. There is also a "Dark World", with the same board (different color), but a whole slew of new units for you and the AI. Somehow, I felt the Dark World was easier than the Light World. Maybe I was just more experienced.

Visually, Militia is quite simple, and it uses Unity. Soundtrack is good, but doesn't have enough diversity. I kinda wish local multiplayer was an option, since it would have been fun to control the other units. Still, Militia is a great little strategy/puzzle game and it's perfect if you have 15 minutes to spare.

Ozium

here:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Militia -- MB-2E990AA54F1D8EA1 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 1 entrants total.

t1455586117z1.png

Jawmuncher

I'm guessing VPN Unlocks don't work how they used to. Had steam completely off and would connect to my account. Both the browser and client would say I still needed to wait 4 hours. Even though I was connected to the UK (Not being logged in brought me to the SFV page with no issues). I'm guessing if you have account details your area gets hard locked in.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Wow, some Ukrainian dude tried to login to my account today. Should I be worried about my organs being harvested while I'm sleeping or something?

I'm guessing VPN Unlocks don't work how they used to. Had steam completely off and would connect to my account. Both the browser and client would say I still needed to wait 4 hours. Even though I was connected to the UK (Not being logged in brought me to the SFV page with no issues). I'm guessing if you have account details your area gets hard locked in.
Are you by any chance running an Ethernet cord directly from your computer to a secondary router instead of a wall jack? I did that for a short period last year and it made VPN unlocking impossible.

I was able to play SFV for a bit, although once I disabled the vpn it couldn't reconnect to the servers so I'll just wait until tonight to play more.

Jawmuncher

Are you by any chance running an Ethernet cord directly from your computer to a secondary router instead of a wall jack? I did that for a short period last year and it made VPN unlocking impossible.

I was able to play SFV for a bit, although once I disabled the vpn it couldn't reconnect to the servers so I'll just wait until tonight to play more.

I'm on wifi, but my modem does plug into a router. So that probably is the case. Oh well, guess i'll wait.

Sch1sm

Wow, some Ukrainian dude tried to login to my account today. Should I be worried about my organs being harvested while I'm sleeping or something?

No, but maybe get that 2-step-auth for your email if you don't use mobile auth for Steam.

Is there a way to tell when Steam decides to do it other than a fluctuating currency?

It doesn't change that often, tbh. It's not like an every day swap sort of thing. It'll be this way for a while, haha, and new AAA titles will all be about 79.99 for the Canadian store, the end.

Balthuk

So with all this SF V hype I might as well do what I do, pick the previous version. I've put 25 hours into Skullgirls which has been my only try to get into fighting games. I feel motivated enough, to the wishlist Ultra SF IV goes!

Going to start Dark Souls I and see how I find it. Need to scratch that RPG itch again.

And yes, I know that I have to get DSfix.

Just finished Lisa: The Painful a bit ago and really liked it! I'm probably going to do a Painful mode run later since it apparently has some unique content.

Never bothered with Painful mode. Too much aggravation.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just finished Lisa: The Painful a bit ago and really liked it! I'm probably going to do a Painful mode run later since it apparently has some unique content.

So with all this SF V hype I might as well do what I do, pick the previous version. I've put 25 hours into Skullgirls which has been my only try to get into fighting games. I feel motivated enough, to the wishlist Ultra SF IV goes!
Hey I just started Ultra as I got it from a generous gaffer. I need other noobs to play. Id/pantsattack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom