• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to start Dark Souls I and see how I find it. Need to scratch that RPG itch again.

And yes, I know that I have to get DSfix.

Never bothered with Painful mode. Too much aggravation.

I wouldn't think Dark Souls would scratch an RPG itch so much as action-RPG combat itch.

The Trails faithful will be disappointed in you.

I'm having a PC issue ever since getting a new PC. Already posted in the Tech Support Thread but I know there a plenty smart folks here as well, so cross-posting.
Sorry I couldn't help you, this is all I got.
mV9bFz7.gif

Jawmuncher

Beat Resident Evil 0 today. Dunno how long my playthrough was since I played on Easy which doesn't have a rank screen. I would say it was about 6 hours or so (Time on steam has idling attached). I had played it on normal awhile back on GC. Going back to it, I hold the same opinion I did when I played through the series on GC. I prefer RE0 to REmake. I really like the 2 player mechanic it has, and how the game to me feels more like an adventure with how it progresses. I'll admit it's not as tightly crafted as REmake, especially with dropping items, back tracking, and such. But I don't feel that it needs to be. For what it is it's fine. However I would say that anyone interested should play REmake first and then this. Just go in without high expectations and I think you'll be surprised by it. After all was said and done though, I would love for RE2make to go back to this style. I miss it, and even if they just re-used the RE0 engine for it, the game looks pretty damn good.

Jawmuncher

steam machine is pretty lame as is. they should have done a portable steam machine. sure itll be niche but it has more use imo. Steam controller is dope at least.

It was a good idea, but like a lot of Valve ideas. They didn't put all the work they could into it. I remember most of the machines waited for SteamOS for ages and just got fed up and offered windows.

MUnited83

For you.

Those seem like fine numbers, especially when it doesn't count the Windows version of it. People have to realize that the the vast majority of Steam machine manufacturers don't sell all that much in units, they are relatively niche businesses. None of them entered the Steam Machine game thinking they would sell several millions.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Haha, what game is that icon from I wonder.

I think the idea of a living room computer in a console form factor is not inherently bad. It has to be thought through well though which Steam Machines weren't. A big part of that is SteamOS.

doesn't in home streaming negate some of their efforts?
I would rather do that than get another expensive box.

madjoki

If wouldn't trust those to be accurate at all, it's probably from autogrants to publisher's group.

This is why even things like French Indie Sale attract some owners.

Steam Controller gave only license if you bought it shortly after Portal 2 & Rocket League promo started until they promos to be given to "No license" packages. (Or so I assume).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Haha, what game is that icon from I wonder.

I think the idea of a living room computer in a console form factor is not inherently bad. It has to be thought through well though which Steam Machines weren't. A big part of that is SteamOS.

SteamOS is basically all they could do though. Building up Linux to be a competent gaming platform is going to take a lot of time and is always going to rely on other people, ultimately outside of Valve's control, to put in some work.

In this case, the idea is either always flawed or it isn't. Windows isn't an option that Valve needs to concern itself with and no other base OS would perform better than Linux. Hardware is never going to be subsidized.

I'm not sure what is considered a success for Valve and the Steam machines, but I doubt they had placed too high a bar in the first place. We'll have to see if we ever get gen-2 boxes, I guess.

Putting a formidable linux alternative to the historic dominance of Windows for gaming was never an easy task. So Valve or anyone taking his good time on this way is understandable. Gotta have a solid foundation and convincing and stable progress.
When I first heard about Valve's plan with SteamOS, I was happy. I'm by far not a pro-user who can maintain Linux but even I know that Valve is one of the very few companies being able to push Linux in a meaningful way. Sadly I misjudged that Valve was gonna put an emphasis on enticing devs to put effort as well. As you said, success relies on third-parties. Similar to multiplats having become more and more important on consoles, you gotta have them on SteamOS. All the thousands of older games promoted on Linux don't mean much when the customer can't trust into getting all the new goodness day 1. No one likes being treated as an afterthought. Even more so when you usually pay more buck for a gaming PC than a console. Couple that with still underwhelming performance on Linux and a user-base probably most interested in all of gaming platforms about numbers and fine-tuning every little INI & CFG, it gets tough for SteamOS. Why should pubs invest production money into that direction? Someone's gotta do it, someone's gotta be the first. But why would they when the big cake is ready? There are no meaningful incentives for neither devs or gamers to go for SteamOS sadly. I can't see MS fumbling in such a catastrophic way that this will change anytime soon neither.
It's a shame really. Valve sees this like an experiment. And most experiments do fail.

If wouldn't trust those to be accurate at all, it's probably from autogrants to publisher's group.

This is why even things like French Indie Sale attract some owners.

Steam Controller gave only license if you bought it shortly after Portal 2 & Rocket League promo started until they promos to be given to "No license" packages. (Or so I assume).

Yup. I got a steam controller from Valve, then refunded it before it shipped and so I don't "own it" on steam, but I own one as it came from a B&M store as a Christmas present from my girlfriend.

doesn't in home streaming negate some of their efforts?
I would rather do that than get another expensive box.

No? I stream from my PC which is hooked up to the main TV/entertainment area. This way I don't get any lag/compression/anything. I built it specifically to go where it is too and if I use in-home streaming, which I don't need the Steam Link for either, it's streaming from there to my macbook when I want to play something like M:TG while I'm watching something on TV.

If someone wants to PC game but wants something the size of a console and doesn't want to build it? Steam Machine. Or at least that's the idea, I think.

--

Whoa whoa whoa, Street Fighter V... I can edit the main menu music to only play the themes I want?
Which means I can set it to play Ken's theme, which is a rad re-arrangement/update of his classic SFII stage theme?

SFV, you so best.

Anyone tried lobbies in SFV yet? Couldn't connect to ViviOggi earlier and vice versa.

A 1v1 lobby? Depending on your country, it might not work unless you're still VPN'ed, or at least that's what ricochetguro said when I talked to him about how to unlock early. I didn't play any, except messing around in training mode for a bit, since I don't think the servers will allow US players to log in yet based on what he told me (plus I hadn't pulled out and hooked up my fight stick yet).

--

Speaking of SFV, did beta 3 or 4 take away that ability for all characters to have light attacks chain into anything else? I could swear I was doing j.hk > c.lp > b.mp - st.hp (target combo) > special with Ken in beta 2...

madjoki

Yup. I got a steam controller from Valve, then refunded it before it shipped and so I don't "own it" on steam, but I own one as it came from a B&M store as a Christmas present from my girlfriend.

I bought from Steam, but before said period. Was somewhat tempted to cancel & reorder to get said license and +1
lol

It's part of the gauntlet. Or at least its not supposed to be a traditional thumbs up.

He's just clutching something in his fist; make a fist with your left hand and look at where your thumb goes ... it's just a bit pointy cause it's a gauntlet and made of metal.

Probably LTTP, but 8% off Dark Souls 3?

The fuck is that?

A better discount than "eff you, it's new, pay full retail."

Police Officer Chun is so good even Bengus art can't ruin her.

Rashid's very cool too. No idea what his handle means though, if anyything?

The training mode Bengus art wasn't bad, but that's all I've seen so far.
Hip Badass iCalster 8? what?

The art for Street Fighter V's story mode is straight up the most amateur thing I've seen in a AAA game*.

*Outside of Sony Smash's ui/menu system if that counts.

Tenrius

Got all the achievements and most endings in To Be or Not to Be and it was fantastic, absolutely brilliant! To those not in the know, it's a video game version of a Choose Your Own Adventure book of the same name written by Ryan North, author of Dinosaur Comics.

It's basically a retelling of the original Hamlet story with a lot of whacky and fun alternative choices, branching scenarios. It provides a lot of commentary on Hamlet, pointing out inconsistencies and challenging the internal logic of the play, while having a lot of respect to the source material. And it's FREAKING DOPE because of all the jokes, pop-culture references and fourth wall-breaking stunts. The whole thing is even narrated and the narration is excellent!

It's similar to the likes of The Stanley Parable in the way, but does it better because it's not bound by such tired things as GRAPHICS and WALKING AROUND. Here's a taste:

Excuse me while I retire to my solar and rewatch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Apparently I got two beta codes for Hitman. Hold on - will see if I can verify.

And apparently, I'm also getting access to the Dead Island 2 beta?

Since you asked so politely, Turf, check your PMs in a minute.

madjoki

My extra beta code for whoever has quickest hands.

This is beta only, doesn't include actual game.

Use here: https://beta.hitman.com/ and wait for it to start

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Hitman Beta -- MB-F386D8FA414C7A50 - Taken by Iron Badger

Annubis

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Annubis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-E073E92806EDEB7B - Taken by Baron_Calamity

Hint: it was free today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom