• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesho

wow.. i watched a preview video... disgaea has friggen mouse controls!! looks so damn sexy like that.. but i am torn since i already own the game on 3 systems... quad dipping is.. really pushing it for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
*1.6GB after installation. Although probably around 400mb of that are the artbook and soundtrack. That said, the number seems about right for what is basically a improved PSX game.

The art book and OST aren't included in the pre-load as they're still set to prerelease. They'll be downloaded when the game unlocks.

Ucchedavāda;196033691 said:
What does "great kb/m implementation" actually mean?

It's subjective, definitely, and I'm just curious what people think!

Maybe I'm too fastidious when it comes to this. My opinion on a game can be hugely affected by it's mouse movement for example - i.e. if there's any smoothing/acceleration of any kind, or just weird movement in general, it's borderline unplayable to me. No keyboard (WASD) function in menus is also a big no-no.

Good KB&M controls:
  • mouse & keyboard works in menu, yay
  • can type in data entry (i.e. name)
  • Keybinds opposite of whatever Dark Souls did
  • Hotkeys for everything
And of course an alt-tab that doesn't crash the game.

Those are the most important things, in my mind.

good KB/M controls for me is not having forced mouse acceleration or that thing fallout 4 did with the decreased Y sensitivity

that's so stupid there's no reason for it to be there

zkylon

zkylewd
k, finished the quarry in the witness, so that makes 4 lasers activated

honestly, the game's a lot more tolerable now that i've left the swamp for good, but it's still not doing anything for me. i've been stuck and unstuck in different places, seen some clever new gimmicks and activated lasers and watched videos and listened to audiologs and nothing about it has intrigued me or satisfied me in any way

it's too soulless and between the motion sickness and the unbeareably slow backtracking (anyone else just alt tabs whenever they're riding the boat?) i'm just struggling so hard to not hate it just while i desperately look for a fez moment that i'm like aha! there's something to this game!

but so far tho, i just wish my friends were on so i could play some league instead

That's a little on the nose, but I'll accept it.
here i was thinking i was clever

Prinnies were a mistake, its nothing but trash

Prinny_dead-noscale.jpg

honestly, the game's a lot more tolerable now that i've left the swamp for good, but it's still not doing anything for me. i've been stuck and unstuck in different places, seen some clever new gimmicks and activated lasers and watched videos and listened to audiologs and nothing about it has intrigued me or satisfied me in any way

it's too soulless and between the motion sickness and the unbeareably slow backtracking (anyone else just alt tabs whenever they're riding the boat?) i'm just struggling so hard to not hate it just while i desperately look for a fez moment that i'm like aha! there's something to this game!

but so far tho, i just wish my friends were on so i could play some league instead

here i was thinking i was clever

Call me crazy but after using the boat for some of the puzzles I avoid it and really enjoy backtracking through the beautiful island scenery.

zkylon

zkylewd
Call me crazy but after using the boat for some of the puzzles I avoid it and really enjoy backtracking through the beautiful island scenery.

nah i totally get that

i tend to walk most of the time since the boat is boring and also u tend to run into panels by walking that you'd miss if u just boated everywhere

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ramosisdead isnt dead in my Darkest Dungeon. I need to get back to that

Anteater

RULES OF NATURE!

And they run when the sun comes up
With their lives on the line

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE

Space marine is pretty cool

holygeesus

Banned
Is It Time To Upgrade Your Core i5 2500K?

It's an interesting watch. Comparing stock/oc 2500K and newer i5 in conjuncture with different speed RAM.

God damn. You know you are getting old when you remember Richard Leadbetter when he looked like this. Legend.

Re: Condemned - I decided to buy Controller Companion on Steam as it is like about £40 cheaper than buying a Steam Controller. There was no profile for Condemned, so I created my own and uploaded it to Workshop if anyone wants it. I mapped the 360 controls from the instruction manual for that version and it works pretty well except you have to use the right trigger to select in menus.

Ozium

what was that 90s style fps game that had a kickstarter (?) and had a video where peoples faces were melting off and other crazy shit and it had an alpha demo to download

whatever happened to that

Deques

Where can I find the cheapest Disgaea as a European? I think wingamestore has it for $20. Is there any other places that has it cheaper?

DailyIndieGame is having an Artifex Mundi bundle, if anyone fancies some hidden object games. 6 games for $1.5, and 2 bundles if you BTA ($1.6):
  • 9 Clues: The Secret Of Serpent Creek
  • Dark Arcana: The Carnival
  • Left in the Dark: No One on Board
  • Mind Snares: Alice's Journey
  • Nightmares From the Deep: The Cursed Heart
  • Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren`s Call

All games have cards. Oh, and they just send you an email with ALL the keys at once, which is nice.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ucchedavāda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-A199020BD575868C - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 2 entrants total.
Mind Snares: Alice s Journey -- MB-F58132E583480362 - Taken by Saty. 5 entrants total.
9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek -- MB-D1B8D64521AF4F7B - Taken by neonglow. 2 entrants total.
Dark Arcana: The Carnival -- MB-2D331AC06107CC17 - Taken by Costa1774. 2 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren s Call -- MB-A18EEB6926C81E2F - Taken by roadrunn3r. 1 entrants total.
Left in the Dark: No One on Board -- MB-2FBB53C06F03E0E9 - Taken by Coldsun. 5 entrants total.

t1456055822z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Broke my Steam controller's dongle tonight :(

Hoping Valve will not charge me too much for a replacement, given that it's just a tiny USB dongle thing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How did you break it? Granted, I hardly use mine and keep the dongle at arm's length.

I have it on my case's top USB port since I play games on my TV which doesn't have a line of sight to my PC and the Steam Controller constantly pops up a LOL YOUR SIGNAL ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH message. I didn't break it, my wife did by spinning the computer chair and bumping her knee into the top of the USB case. The dongle's housing is entirely broken and it doesn't show up in Windows anymore.

Nabs

Broke my Steam controller's dongle tonight :(

Hoping Valve will not charge me too much for a replacement, given that it's just a tiny USB dongle thing.

This happened to bus a few weeks back. Valve didn't charge him for a replacement, but they did price it at 3 or so bucks.

UltraJay

It was a nice twist for its time but i am sure there is a way to alter it so it would work with in the context of anregular monitor

There are two set styles of VN text. Full-screen box (like Fate Stay) or RPG-like dialogue boxes at the bottom of the screen. There is actually a name for both that I can't be bothered to remember on VNDB. Some games use both, like one for narration and one for dialogue. 999
could use both to separate them in way to hide the twist.

I have it on my case's top USB port since I play games on my TV which doesn't have a line of sight to my PC and the Steam Controller constantly pops up a LOL YOUR SIGNAL ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH message. I didn't break it, my wife did by spinning the computer chair and bumping her knee into the top of the USB case. The dongle's housing is entirely broken and it doesn't show up in Windows anymore.

According to Steam, it has a 90 day limited warranty unless it's a defect then that's a year.

Just tell them it's not spousal friendly and they need to rectify that.

What do you mean sub $100 office chairs are complete bullshit and break after about a year of use???

- Sent From My Floor

Got my office chair at Staples during clearance. Been pretty reliable ever since.

Since I didn't feel like a deep game due to my cold, I went for some light gaming earlier. Started & finished Gone Home in a single sitting. Cannot remember a previous time doing this. Game is very short. Easily shorter than 3 hours on a first run. And that by collecting all Journal entries, cassettes, pins and whatnot.

So, my thoughts. I went in with pretty much no knowledge of the game beforehand, so the game being a
lesbian love-story
was not expected. It's a light exploration game with minimal interaction and a focus on passive character development. I do enjoy exploring places and learning about the world via audio logs and texts when done right. This is a mixed bag. First of all, there is too little variation in characters with basically only two people having exposure. That is a shame since the general cast of people is already very small, less than 10. With only
Sam and Lonnie
getting spotilight the exploration and adventure portion feels underused. There are tidbits here and there but it's too superficial and feels way too overlooked by the writing itself, so it looses any importance it could have had. A real shame since slowly seeing more and more of the house would have fit very nicely by weaving various character arcs into the layout of the home. On that, the many
secret passages
became a real immersion breaker not by the idea itself but by sheer amount. They made only barely much sense bearing in mind the previous owner but then again, like with other stuff it falters by under utilizing that as well. A little side story about the past owner would have been fitting. But alas, the house feels not enough like a real home but like a playground for
Sam & Lonnie
who only used those places. Parents and sister feel almost not at home at all.
Journal entries (audio logs) were done OK. It's a very little story, written OK as well. Couldn't connect towards the very ending, thinking
two kids basically ran away
. They are only seventeen. A little inconsistency in logic with Sam was also there. At the beginning she writes her sister not to rummage around (and possibly learn anything) but towards the end she explicitly has left her messages in places only accessible by doing so? Eh, gotta throw a bit of sense out of the window to have emotional ending I guess. That goes for the whole very short game. High on emotion, at times feels forced by sheer lack of any other aspect. Not sure I'd recommend this. It offers very little in meat and variety.

The game has 4 different vignettes presented to the player. Only one of them is narrated. The rest are told through environmental storytelling.

My memory is a little hazy but I'll try and remember some of it (Gone Home story spoilers ahead)
There's the story of their father. I think he was a novelist who had one well received book but then was unable to come up with something else. There are indications of writer's block hitting him. And so he was forced to take up a job reviewing stuff and he clearly thought it was beneath him. And then later his fortunes change when a publisher of old books offers to start selling his first novel again and he's inspired to write a new one again. Then there was the story of the mother who was unhappy in her marriage until she got a job in a wildlife park I think it was? And there she met another man and I think it was heavily implied that they had an affair. She then felt guilty about that and decided to try and make her marriage work. From what I remember, both parents were gone from the house because they were doing couples counseling when the game takes place. And then there was the story of the old uncle/grandfather who was the original owner of the house. It's implied that he molested the father in this story. The family discovered this and broke all ties with him and the game shows how much he regretted that for the rest of his life. I believe the reason this house was given to the father in the first place was as a form of penance for that.

I apologize if I've gotten any of the details wrong. It's been a while since I played it. My point is though that there were more things happening in the game than just the main narrated story.

Also, at the risk of repeating myself, I believe that this game will resonate most with people who are in their mid 30s now. The entire atmosphere of the game is presented through the eyes of someone who was a teenager in the mid 90s. Anyone who actually was around that age group in that period of time will see a lot of things that are picked up straight from their younger days. Things like the music, the artwork or even just general things of how life was in the 90s (VHS cassettes!). It's not that younger people can't appreciate these details, it just hits closer to home if you lived through that period in life.

How many puzzles have you solved according to your save file? (You can check by pressing Escape - Load game).

I would recommend not alt tabbing out when you're in the boat. In general, I would not recommend mentally tuning out of the game when you're not solving puzzles. Pay attention to the game world as you play. I don't want to oversell that 'moment' but it comes to everyone eventually. It's not like Braid where your mind is blown by one single moment that changes your entire understanding of the game, but you will think it's pretty cool when it happens.

Keep at it.

Hi guys, I figured I'd ask here rather than make a new thread, but has anyone ever found a good Windows native solution to share displays, sound and devices between concurrent users on a single computer ?

I'm asking because my wife has been spending a lot of time on the home PC lately for work reasons, and I'd still like to use the computer on our TV.

Our setting is pretty basic :
- one user needs the computer, the monitor, its speakers, mouse and keyboard.
- the other user needs a secondary display (our TV connected in HDMI), a secondary sound device (HDMI sound which goes through the receiver), and a game controller. Typically, I'd be using Big Picture Mode.

Separately, these setups already work fine, and have for years. Now, the tricky part is using the computer concurrently.

Looking it up, I've found Aster is a program that works with Windows 10. I've installed the trial version and set it up, and so far it works exactly as expected. The caveat is that it can apparently be messy with particular resolution settings in non-windowed full screen. And it's a 70€ program, so there's that.
Has anyone a better solution lying around ?

Street Fighter V is the best game to have come out in the past 3-4 years. It is that good!

My copy of the game finally got delivered today. Shipped out on Wednesday from a city that is an overnight journey away. The cynic within me believes Amazon bounced it around between their warehouses because I didn't pay for faster shipping.

Of course, in the time it took to arrive I've read all kinds of horror stories about how unfinished the game is. So now I'm debating whether to activate the game until it gets more content. Or even if I should just sell off the cd key.

Pachimari

Lol, you quoted my original post before my stealth edit. I have been found out. :(

With all of the horror stories, it's also worth mentioning the other half of players who have had a good experience. I haven't gotten any disconnects in all the time I have been playing the game since launch, and I have never had trouble entering or creating battle lounges. It also doesn't take long for me to find an opponent in Casual. That said, the game do have some major problems, because not everybody have a smooth experience and you can easily end up with being disconnected, and lure me if I didn't just jinx it, and is now gonna experience a lot of trouble.

The first thing is, how everything is tied to their servers, so if they go down, you'll be kicked out of Survival and Story immediately, losing your progress. Which I can imagine is very frustrating. I wouldn't return the game though but that's just my opinion.

zkylon

zkylewd
How many puzzles have you solved according to your save file? (You can check by pressing Escape - Load game).

I would recommend not alt tabbing out when you're in the boat. In general, I would not recommend mentally tuning out of the game when you're not solving puzzles. Pay attention to the game world as you play. I don't want to oversell that 'moment' but it comes to everyone eventually. It's not like Braid where your mind is blown by one single moment that changes your entire understanding of the game, but you will think it's pretty cool when it happens.

Keep at it.
i'm at almost 300 puzzles :T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom