• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I just deleted a bunch of games off my hard drive because I need that hard drive space, but I also erased the save games welp. How do I even find the save data in the folder?

Rizzi

Started playing Baldur's Gate EE. First thing that happened is my weapon broke and I got eaten by a wolf. :|

How's the Icewind Dale EE?

k, finished the quarry in the witness, so that makes 4 lasers activated

honestly, the game's a lot more tolerable now that i've left the swamp for good, but it's still not doing anything for me. i've been stuck and unstuck in different places, seen some clever new gimmicks and activated lasers and watched videos and listened to audiologs and nothing about it has intrigued me or satisfied me in any way

it's too soulless and between the motion sickness and the unbeareably slow backtracking (anyone else just alt tabs whenever they're riding the boat?) i'm just struggling so hard to not hate it just while i desperately look for a fez moment that i'm like aha! there's something to this game!

but so far tho, i just wish my friends were on so i could play some league instead

Honestly, it sounds like you don't have the patience or interest if you just want to alt-tab or do something else. The game is not gonna get better if you're going in with this mentality; play something else would be my advice.

Knurek

The gimmick is vastly overrated in its importance to the overall game experience.

What's not vastly overrated are the 'Escape the Room' puzzles, which are missing from the IOS release.
Half of character interactions and some important plot points are discussed there. I can't imagine playing the game without them...

zkylon

zkylewd
Honestly, it sounds like you don't have the patience or interest if you just want to alt-tab or do something else. The game is not gonna get better if you're going in with this mentality; play something else would be my advice.
it's not really a matter of the wrong mentality, i gave this game 13 hours of my time and it's not given me anything at all in return

that's like 20 league games i could've played instead

i've tried a whole lot to find something in it to cling to, something that'll inspire anything in me but so far i've come up empty

and i think blaming the player about alt tabbing or whatever when the game is so deliberately annoying and boring with its invisible walls, how impossibly slow boats are to stop, cramping my pinky just holding the shift key to run and how random the island's layout is (cos it sure isn't guiding you towards the tutorials)

add in motion sickness and i'm a freaking saint for making it this long

so yeah, not a problem with my attitude, i've given it all i got, i've fought motion sickness and very questionable design decisions and i don't think the game's met me half way

and that's kinda what the witness is, it's all or nothing, it's not gonna pretend to care about you or extend a helping hand to you, it just is what it is and it expects you to put in all the effort while it lectures you from the heavens about science or whatever

i'm not quitting because i respect the hell out of jonathan blow but so far i think this is a poorly designed, soulless and shallow game

maybe it'll suprise me, who knows

MaxiLive

What do you mean sub $100 office chairs are complete bullshit and break after about a year of use???

- Sent From My Floor

Ha! I've had that experience a few times. Generally they last for ages but lose their comfort factor by 10 after the first month of use.

Finally ponied up for a decent chair and it has been so much better so far *touches wood*.

How has my Steam weekend been? I finished the main campaign of Kingdom Rush. Pros wise are it has some level of difficulty which is nice to see in these sorts of games (I don't think it is poor strategy either but starts of levels can be rough) and the heroes are fun to use. The con would be the speed of the game is atrocious and there is no speedup option (which makes things frustrating if you make mistakes on late waves) and also the two harder challenges on each stage are done without heroes. Probably wasn't the best tower defence to play coming off Gemcraft (you can be very calculated and methodical there in terms of knowing when you are safe though the fun there is pushing the limits until you reach the point where the game engine croaks from having thousands of enemies on screen).

I also played a couple of hours of Cities Skylines. These city builder games sure are roguelike in a way. I had to restart my first city within 20 minutes due to building the wrong things and being desperately out of cash (turns out you can't spend while in debt unlike say, Tropico). It also took me 2 cities to realise I didn't need to construct additional pylons like I was the Protoss (reading descriptions helps). My second city is dying from traffic problems and generally being a knifes edge of trying to balance out expansion, services and having enough power to run everything. I'll probably play Tropico 4 sometime as I think I prefer a stage based structure to an endless mode.

Disgaea is an interesting SRPG. I'm not a fan of the story, but the SRPG elements are fun. Also the most ludicrous damage numbers.
Outside of SRPGs I think these days things like Adventure capitalist and Clicker heroes sadly have it beaten out (those tend to get well over 1E100).

Started playing Baldur's Gate EE. First thing that happened is my weapon broke and I got eaten by a wolf. :|

First time playing the series? If so, you're in for a treat. I played them for the first time last year and BG2 is now definitely one of my top 10 favorite games ever.

I still need to get the EE's though. I will probably buy them the next time they are discounted, as the new BG1 EE expansion is coming out in a couple of months.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
also a person i respect the hell out of told me to keep at it so for his sake i'll keep puking my insides out

I was also suffering from motion sickness at first, but that went away when I adjusted the FOV to ~70

Have you tried tinkering with the settings? (You need to edit a config file)

Eila

What do you mean sub $100 office chairs are complete bullshit and break after about a year of use???

- Sent From My Floor

I broke two in a period of like two weeks.
That's when I decided to shed the extra pounds and get a recliner which I still use as my PC chair to this day. It looks really stupid.

I'm in a mood for a good point and click adventure game, loved both Book of Unwritten Tales games and wondering if there is something similar out there. Deponia didn't click with me unfortunately as those two did.

Rizzi

First time playing the series? If so, you're in for a treat. I played them for the first time last year and BG2 is now definitely one of my top 10 favorite games ever.

I still need to get the EE's though. I will probably buy them the next time they are discounted, as the new BG1 EE expansion is coming out in a couple of months.

I've tried to play them every few years and never really been able to get in to them.

AHA-Lambda

Danganronpa, why would you give me 2 options and then actually prevent me from using one when I choose it? >_>

"Do you want A or B?"
"A"
"Well you can't do A, pick again"

Wut.

kurahador

I'm in a mood for a good point and click adventure game, loved both Book of Unwritten Tales games and wondering if there is something similar out there. Deponia didn't click with me unfortunately as those two did.

Blackwell series. Or if you prefer a one and done game, Gemini Rue.
Primordia is amazing as well.

it's not really a matter of the wrong mentality, i gave this game 13 hours of my time and it's not given me anything at all in return

that's like 20 league games i could've played instead

i've tried a whole lot to find something in it to cling to, something that'll inspire anything in me but so far i've come up empty

and i think blaming the player about alt tabbing or whatever when the game is so deliberately annoying and boring with its invisible walls, how impossibly slow boats are to stop, cramping my pinky just holding the shift key to run and how random the island's layout is (cos it sure isn't guiding you towards the tutorials)

add in motion sickness and i'm a freaking saint for making it this long

so yeah, not a problem with my attitude, i've given it all i got, i've fought motion sickness and very questionable design decisions and i don't think the game's met me half way

You can edit the FOV from the ini files.

Those of us who have played the game are dancing around the issue so that nothing gets spoiled for you, because that would just be cruel. But if the game has reached the stage where you are annoyed by it then perhaps it's just not for you. That can happen and it's no big deal.

I understand the game is opaque and your reaction is somewhat justified. But if you're sprinting from puzzle to puzzle and alt tabbing out of the game then you are missing out on the experience.

Have you ever wondered why the boat has a speed selection option?

Durante

What's not vastly overrated are the 'Escape the Room' puzzles, which are missing from the IOS release.
Half of character interactions and some important plot points are discussed there. I can't imagine playing the game without them...
No, not at all. But that wasn't the topic. (It's no problem to do those on one screen)

Uzzy

Barely three days after purchase, I finished Danganronpa last night at around 3am. Really enjoyed the story and characters, and it turns out that spotting contradictions in testimony and evidence and presenting them in a trial feels really damn good. It was fairly easy to determine what happened in most of the cases though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Barely three days after purchase, I finished Danganronpa last night at around 3am. Really enjoyed the story and characters, and it turns out that spotting contradictions in testimony and evidence and presenting them in a trial feels really damn good. It was fairly easy to determine what happened in most of the cases though.

I loved a lot of things about the game when I played it on Vita, but the trials are pretty bad imo.

Here's what I wrote about it in my goty ballot last year:

9. DanganRonpa ; There's a lot of things I like about Danganronpa. It's a mix-up of elements from 999/VLR and the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series. As such everything is in place for a great game. And for the most part it is. But ultimately the game fails to expand positively on either of those two series. The exploration/investigation parts lack the non-linearity of 999, and your choices doesn't matter at all for how the story unfolds. It also lacks logical problem solving during the trial sections, as we know it from the Ace Attorney games. Since the game is so strict and linear, you don't really get to solve anything in the trials. Instead the game force you to shoot down words and play dumb rhythm games, while the murder mysteries solve themselves. These main objections pulls the game down a few spots on the list for me. It's a damn shame, because the game has so many qualities. It's a very interesting world, with great characters and wonderful setting. In Monokuma, Spike Chunsoft has created a character to remember, and he's the main reason I'm still looking forward to play DR2, which I just bought on a 12-deals of Christmas deal, and which I also hear takes the game in another direction.

I'm open to the possibility that maybe I just wanted a different kind of game :p

Lain

I loved a lot of things about the game when I played it on Vita, but the trials are pretty bad imo.

I would agree with you.

A part I found kind of troubling during the trials is, that sometimes more than one evidence could be used to counter an argument or detect a lie, but the game only accepts one evidence for each "keyword".

Spoiler for the second case:
In the second case you could either use the moved rag or the stained rag to counter an argument, but the game only allows you to use one of them.

Messiah

The minigames are more annoying in DR2, but the trials themselves have vastly improved in my opinion. If you liked the first game you should love the second.

Lain

Haha it's fine~

What game was it by the way?

Speaking of games, I got around to starting and completing the final mission on Hitman BETA, since I spent time messing with the tutorial setting yesterday.
I find the game to be pretty damn good. It has performance issues and the layout (and number) of keys used in the game is definitely not optimal, but I don't think I'd call the controls bad. Mouse and KB works perfectly, the controls are responsive and everything is re-bindable. That's enough to make me call the controls good while the layout problematic.
Anyways, excited for the game to come out.

Rizzi

And so ends my playthrough of Baldur's Gate EE. Can't imagine why I never got very far in this game.
7C007F1F862C191959DC595E17B814EFF4614CB7

Uzzy

I'm open to the possibility that maybe I just wanted a different kind of game :p

I don't disagree. It's so linear that there's not really a problem to solve, you just have to show others how the only solution is the right solution. But I still found that fun, pointing out the contradictions and holes in people's statements. Would it have been better if you had actual problems to resolve? For sure.

I also ran into ChairmanChuck's problem a few times, which was frustrating.

Eila

Just got done playing the prologue of Condemned. I'm a bit disappointed by the combat and general slowness of the game, mostly because I was expecting something similar to the glorious F.E.A.R.
Not sure I want to come back for more :/

Jawmuncher

Hi guys, I figured I'd ask here rather than make a new thread, but has anyone ever found a good Windows native solution to share displays, sound and devices between concurrent users on a single computer ?

I'm asking because my wife has been spending a lot of time on the home PC lately for work reasons, and I'd still like to use the computer on our TV.

Our setting is pretty basic :
- one user needs the computer, the monitor, its speakers, mouse and keyboard.
- the other user needs a secondary display (our TV connected in HDMI), a secondary sound device (HDMI sound which goes through the receiver), and a game controller. Typically, I'd be using Big Picture Mode.

Separately, these setups already work fine, and have for years. Now, the tricky part is using the computer concurrently.

Looking it up, I've found Aster is a program that works with Windows 10. I've installed the trial version and set it up, and so far it works exactly as expected. The caveat is that it can apparently be messy with particular resolution settings in non-windowed full screen. And it's a 70€ program, so there's that.
Has anyone a better solution lying around ?

While it's not the fanciest thing, here I have a set up of main computer with a second screen being a tv. Using the steam controller and putting steam on the other screen along with some headphones works pretty well for multiple people needing the PC. So long as your wife will never need the sound.

Jawmuncher

The minigames are more annoying in DR2, but the trials themselves have vastly improved in my opinion. If you liked the first game you should love the second.

I thought overall Danganronpa 2 paled in comparison to 1. Especially with how some of it felt like a retread. Still a good game, just not as impressive.

Kifimbo

Also, anyone that has Army, could you please leave a review?

As promised, I finally played Army of Tentacles for a few hours (thanks for the game again), so here are my impressions. Army of Tentacles is an light RPG in which you click to go to one place to another, to meet crazy characters. In the end, the give you quests you have to completed in mostly mundane ways (the game make fun of the whole filler quests concept). It's probably the only mundane thing here. I mean the game uses several different (ugly) text fonts and combines totally different art styles, including real life photographies as backgrounds. All over the place. It's nuts.

Battles are actually a matter of choosing the right answer or reply among four choices. These battles often uses popular culture themes, so your success will depend on your knowledge. The game basically invites you to consult Google when you're in the dark (like I was with Narnia). So far, I had arguments (er... battles) about topics like Nintendo, LucasArts/Double Fine/Tim Schafer and Hamlet/Shakespeare. That last one was pretty long, and became frustrating after 4-5 tries. So far, there is one time where I had no idea what to do and where to go, so I had to visit each place to advance. Turned out I needed a password from a place I already visited previously.

I'm not sure if I'm actually having fun, but there is something weirdly compelling about Army of Tentacles that will make me play it again today. For how long ? Who knows.

I'll try to post a review on Steam when I'm done.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just got done playing the prologue of Condemned. I'm a bit disappointed by the combat and general slowness of the game, mostly because I was expecting something similar to the glorious F.E.A.R.
Not sure I want to come back for more :/
What gave you the impression it would be anything like FEAR?

And so ends my playthrough of Baldur's Gate EE. Can't imagine why I never got very far in this game.

The beginning can be a bit rough, but it's largely doable. Use pause a lot and if you are in a fight against some difficult enemies don't hesitate to leave the map to rest.

(edit) Maybe I'm misreading your screenshot, but it seems your main character is a mage? That's really not the best choice here. A fighter is much easier for a first playthrough.

Balthuk

So in order to claim the 3rd wave of free sega games, I just wait for them to send a key to the e-mail I provided for the 2nd one?

emptyroom

Neo Member
When you take a screenshot in doom 3 bfg and it tells you it's disabling achievements for using the console, great foresight! Glad I found fix by editing the cfg file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom