• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
If you say so. At least you played it already.

VLR is whatever, but more than a few people agree 999 being on anything but DS or DS-like hardware devalues the experience.
It devalues nothing. Just have two screens in the game. Or support for multi screen and have it like the original. The experience is the same either way.

septicore

Danganronpa 2 is coming, and I think 999 and VLR are a given, especially since apparently at some point in time Zero Escape 3 was supposed to launch on PC too.

Had no idea ZE3 was supposed to launch on PC. I would be double dip on the Zero Escape trilogy if they were to pop up on Steam, one day.

AHA-Lambda

You will NOT want to play 999 on anything that doesn't have 2 screens. Doesn't matter how good of a port it is.

I played it on iOS as I don't have a DS, I fail to see what was so bad about that version on the whole. I understand it skipped some puzzles, but I don't think that really ruins the experience as a whole?

cyba89

Dont listen to this guy, it will work out more than fine. Put a clear separator between the two screens. Wow, done. Or ask for multi-monitor support and setup the two screens that way.

Why do you say "Don't listen to this guy" when you agree with him? When you setup multi-monitor it is a device with two screens.

Dont listen to this fim, it will work out more than fine. Put a clear separator between the two screens. Wow, done. Or ask for multi-monitor support and setup the two screens that way.

If you can't
physically flip it
, it doesn't have anywhere near the same effect. Sure, that's a passable solution, but I don't know why you'd want to rob yourself of the optimal experience for something like that.

There are definitely people that can explain this far better than I can like anihawk and I think Shockingalberto. It obviously won't be as meaningful for everyone and for them a split screen computer solution is more than adequate, but like I said, there's more than a few people that are adamant that the DS version is the only way to play the game and always will be unless it gets a remake/port for another two-screened piece of hardware.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why do you say "Don't listen to this guy" when you agree with him? When you setup multi-monitor it is a device with two screens.

His first suggestion refers to dividing the game window, not literally running the game with two different screens.

I played it on iOS as I don't have a DS, I fail to see what was so bad about that version on the whole. I understand it skipped some puzzles, but I don't think that really ruins the experience as a whole?

Ruins
the final twist. Throughout the game, the bottom screen is the narration while the top screen is Junpei's perspective. In actuality, the bottom screen narration is the 9 year old Akane describing what she's seeing through Junpei's eyes through the morphogenic field as a means to find a method to prevent herself from being killed in the incinerator. The final puzzle is a sudoku puzzle that requires you to physically flip the DS upside-down. This represents that, during the entire game you were actually controlling Akane controlling Junpei, and when the screen is flipped you're finally playing as Junpei instead. It took the entire game for Akane to find a method to save herself, and it ended with you controlling the character you thought you were controlling the entire time. It's really powerful.

MUnited83

For you.
A single screen divided in two works just as well.
If you can't
physically flip it
, it doesn't have anywhere near the same effect. Sure, that's a passable solution, but I don't know why you'd want to rob yourself of the optimal experience for something like that.

There are definitely people that can explain this far better than I can like anihawk and I think Shockingalberto. It obviously won't be as meaningful for everyone and for them a split screen computer solution is more than adequate, but like I said, there's more than a few people that are adamant that the DS version is the only way to play the game and always will be unless it gets a remake/port for another two-screened piece of hardware.
The
flipping isn't really that important and you can still get the twist all the same. Have the screen flip by itself.

To those of you who finished the DLC areas of Dark Souls 2, which order do you personally prefer?

I think I'm going to go through Old Iron King first because I want some of those armor sets from the bosses... but I'm curious about what other people think/prefer here.

cyba89

A single screen divided in two works just as well.

The
flipping isn't really that important and you can still get the twist all the same. Have the screen flip by itself.

It works but it's not really the same. I would recommend anyone who wants to play the game the DS version first.
A PC port would still be nice so more people can enjoy this game.

Khronico

To those of you who finished the DLC areas of Dark Souls 2, which order do you personally prefer?

I think I'm going to go through Old Iron King first because I want some of those armor sets from the bosses... but I'm curious about what other people think/prefer here.

I went in order of release date (and after I completed everything in the base game), so Sunken King->Iron King->Ivory King.

I'd say do what feels most fun, each one is pretty standalone.

I went in order of release date (and after I completed everything in the base game), so Sunken King->Iron King->Ivory King.

I'd say do what feels most fun, each one is pretty standalone.

I think I did Iron > Ivory > Sunken when I played on PC.

Iron is a pain in the ass, but those armor sets! :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Release order

Also you are not good enough for the Dark Souls 2 dlc, give up now.

AHA-Lambda

Ruins
the final twist. Throughout the game, the bottom screen is the narration while the top screen is Junpei's perspective. In actuality, the bottom screen narration is the 9 year old Akane describing what she's seeing through Junpei's eyes through the morphogenic field as a means to find a method to prevent herself from being killed in the incinerator. The final puzzle is a sudoku puzzle that requires you to physically flip the DS upside-down. This represents that, during the entire game you were actually controlling Akane controlling Junpei, and when the screen is flipped you're finally playing as Junpei instead. It took the entire game for Akane to find a method to save herself, and it ended with you controlling the character you thought you were controlling the entire time. It's really powerful.

Huh, well that does go someway to explaining my confused and largely negative feelings towards the final twist then as I felt it didn't make much sense and came from nowhere. Maybe I'd have felt different if I was playing the game that way then and it was revealed as so.

I stand corrected!

The whole section in the caverns in Iron King was suffering. Probably the low point out of all the DLC areas.

Yeah, that section is brutal... just an absolute horror show.
I may not bother with it this time, it is completely optional in terms of everything but getting items/boss soul weapons.

Apparently, signing into the Xbox app (or any app?) automatically and silently changes your local account to a Microsoft account. Last night I was trying to access my shared drives from my laptop and Windows kept insisting the password was incorrect, so I hopped on my PC and noticed that my user account image had changed to my Windows Live profile picture.

What a great "feature".
What I dislike more with the Xbox app is that I can't disable features without logging in with my MS account. And I don't want to use my MS account on Windows.

Ivory►Old Iron►Sunken going from least to most enjoyment.

Since I didn't feel like a deep game due to my cold, I went for some light gaming earlier. Started & finished Gone Home in a single sitting. Cannot remember a previous time doing this. Game is very short. Easily shorter than 3 hours on a first run. And that by collecting all Journal entries, cassettes, pins and whatnot.

So, my thoughts. I went in with pretty much no knowledge of the game beforehand, so the game being a
lesbian love-story
was not expected. It's a light exploration game with minimal interaction and a focus on passive character development. I do enjoy exploring places and learning about the world via audio logs and texts when done right. This is a mixed bag. First of all, there is too little variation in characters with basically only two people having exposure. That is a shame since the general cast of people is already very small, less than 10. With only
Sam and Lonnie
getting spotilight the exploration and adventure portion feels underused. There are tidbits here and there but it's too superficial and feels way too overlooked by the writing itself, so it looses any importance it could have had. A real shame since slowly seeing more and more of the house would have fit very nicely by weaving various character arcs into the layout of the home. On that, the many
secret passages
became a real immersion breaker not by the idea itself but by sheer amount. They made only barely much sense bearing in mind the previous owner but then again, like with other stuff it falters by underutilizing that as well. A little side story about the past owner would have been fitting. But alas, the house feels not enough like a real home but like a playground for
Sam & Lonnie
who only used those places. Parents and sister feel almost not at home at all.
Journal entries (audio logs) were done OK. It's a very little story, written OK as well. Couldn't connect towards the very ending, thinking
two kids basically ran away
. They are only seventeen. A little inconsistency in logic with Sam was also there. At the beginning she writes her sister not to rummage around (and possibly learn anything) but towards the end she explicitely has left her messages in places only accesible by doing so? Eh, gotta throw a bit of sense out of the window to have emotional ending I guess. That goes for the whole very short game. High on emotion, at times feels forced by sheer lack of any other aspect. Not sure I'd recommend this. It offers very little in meat and variety.

Phawx

Disgaea is an interesting SRPG. I'm not a fan of the story, but the SRPG elements are fun. Also the most ludicrous damage numbers.

Gone Home is great. I love the atmosphere and environmental storytelling. It tells a story in a way that only a video game can.

Hitman: Absolution, on the other hand... is a miserable mess of a game. It just makes me want to play MGSV, which is scaring me a bit.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Finished Lisa: The Joyful and it was pretty short but satisfying in the context of the stuff it answers from the Painful. Great DLC would kill everyone again A+++ Gamedev. :thumbsup:

Buddy is an asshole.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished Lisa: The Joyful and it was pretty short but satisfying in the context of the stuff it answers from the Painful. Great DLC would kill everyone again A+++ Gamedev. :thumbsup:

wish lisa was just an easier game

if like enemies dealt like 30% less damage i would've liked it a whole lot more

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't played Far Cry 4 but Primal looks amazing to me because of mammoths and dat owl.

If you've played Far Cry 3, you've more or less played Far Cry 4.

Edit: Primal currently has a worldwide unlock time that lands on 4pm here. That's a nice change of pace.

Well, that went poorly.

Started cleaning up loose ends from the pre-dlc area; killed the optional bosses
Ancient Dragon and Vendrick
and realized I never used the Key to the Embedded... so I went and did that. Warp over to the Shrine of Amana and hell breaks loose:
there's those nasty pyromancers (1 before the shrine, 2 at the bottom of the other stairs). I went down the stairs to get the manslayer katana and both of the pyros aggro. I see it's a losing battle, so I back up the stairs and try to get them to do the "out of range, I'll go back to guarding my spot" so I can regroup and figure a better plan. Those assholes proceed to come up the stairs, throw firestorm and everything else in the pyromancy cookbook RIGHT BEHIND THE MILFANITO. She was absolutely incinerated from existence. They proceeded to chase me back toward the bonfire and killed me there. I went back to check and she's definitely dead. I did manage to separate and destroy them though. At least she wasn't a vital NPC.

Teggy

Don't worry, PC version got the Ubi Arbitrary Delay so we've got another week to go.

Well, I mean an extra week won't fix crappy gameplay/story. I guess we'll see when reviews come out. I was all in on Far Cry 4, but this has been screaming "wait and see" ever since the first trailer for me.

On another topic, I need Pascal news, but it sounds like we won't be getting anything for at least a month, maybe two, and that might only be demos.

Tizoc

Question about the humongous game series on steam;
Can they bebplayed if i have them installed but am either
Not connected to steam/running the client

The keyboard controls in the Hitman Beta are ridiculous. The past set up with the interaction key and nature wheel to choose action still is appropriate and inventive. The ui moving around the screen and off screen with keys I have to reach across the keyboard for is very frustrating.

I like the rest of the game play and the multiple options in the levels. Looking forward to figuring out the jet interactions tomorrow.

The menus are weird too. Not laid out clear at all and going into options to quit is just funny.

Jawmuncher

Gone Home is great. I love the atmosphere and environmental storytelling. It tells a story in a way that only a video game can.

Hitman: Absolution, on the other hand... is a miserable mess of a game. It just makes me want to play MGSV, which is scaring me a bit.

Gone Home still has a really dumb plot hole in it.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i get the impression jonathan blow hates tetris cos like you're having fun and progressing and getting shit done and suddenly tetris ruins your life

again, guns would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom