• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

But truthfully, this joke is starting to superrot, and I'd rather play a game from Superbot.
playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-logo.jpg

Uzzy

SFV Trials Mode info.

Looks shockingly barebones. Showing people ten combos is nice I suppose, but not really that helpful for teaching newbies the game. Capcom are really lucky the community is already putting up the tutorials the game needed.

And being unable to confirm if DLC characters will get trials? Come on Capcom, that's terrible.

Far Cry 4 wouldn't be Ubisoft's Far Cry 4 without a silly bug.

Said vehicle is inexplicably slower when the input method is set to kb&m rather than a controller, and significantly so -- the best time I could get when using the kb&m was around 1m32s whereas I completed the race in roughly 1m25s when using a controller (gold requires 1m30s or lower).

That's not a bug, it's there to help you understand the error of your ways in choosing kb/m over a controller. ;)

So along those lines, whether I choose to steal a candy bar or choose this line of dialogue is inconsequential?

The one from the forest ranger lockbox? Yeah.
The game is, as Ozium has said, basically 2016's Gone Home, but with more dialogue rather than audio log type stuff.

Coming from Blood Dragon, I suddenly feel the urge to play Far Cry 4. Constant darkness had me yearning for day-night cycle and a more grounded nature setting.

30$?!?!

Don't you have FC3? It's the same engine as Blood Dragon and uses the same core mechanics, though sadly there is no "flip-off" button.

The SUPERHOT scores are good :D

Sounds like the campaign is pretty brief though, especially considering the £18 price :/

$25 here and that's simply a non-starter.
$10 or less would probably be my personal threshold for grabbing it, as even $15 seemed a bit much.
Nice to see the scores are good, but review scores don't always mean you'll enjoy it just because the reviewer did. ;)
That upload clip feature in one of the videos linked (of endless mode) was pretty cool though. I'm sure you could get some ridiculous clips/GIFs out of that.

You could say it was SUPERQUICK.

*crickets*

Yeah.... SUPERNO. :p

SFV Trials Mode info.

Looks shockingly barebones. Showing people ten combos is nice I suppose, but not really that helpful for teaching newbies the game. Capcom are really lucky the community is already putting up the tutorials the game needed.

And being unable to confirm if DLC characters will get trials? Come on Capcom, that's terrible.

If we assume that they're cutting out junk like 'do a hadoken' then it may well be on par with SFIV. And if the combos are actually useful, instead of several 1-frame links for no damage, like in IV, then it could even be useful to beginners. It is, however, not a replacement for proper tutorials.

Ludens

Banned
SFV Trials Mode info.

This is ridiculous. So 10 trails per character, and the plan was not to release trials for DLC characters but to avoid the backlash Capcom is saying they are thinking about it and they don't know it yet.
Capcom should just give away for FREE (no fight money or real money) the first six characters, turning into a season 2 pass the current pass for the game, and maybe the game will be worth 60€ (after trials, story mode, six additional characters, a decent lobby and possibly an arcade mode).

I suppose DLC characters won't come with their short prologue too at this point?

The game should be released as FREE to PRAY, take it for free and prey Capcom will give you enough content.

SFV Trials Mode info.

And being unable to confirm if DLC characters will get trials?
Come on Capcom, that's terrible.

That's almost as bad as DLC characters in Smash 4 not having custom moves.

Teggy

Uh...Shadwen controls are baffling. How do you release a distraction toy with a controller? Or with a keyboard/mouse for that matter? Lots of the keybinds are empty.

Dr Dogg

SFV Trials Mode info.

I think I was at most 30% done on Trails mode percentage for IV. And they're not going to be a teaching tools for newer or lesser experienced players either where you need repetition to get the move to stick not fudge away getting it wrong x amount of times and then a pat on the head for doing it just once.

I said in the OT that a proper revamped training mode with actual incentives, ways to set out a training reigime, workout plan, pre match warm up and schedule, maybe even have it online again and have you compared schedules and training methods with a sparing partner. Throw in some mini games, have some stat tracking to see your improvment in areas you're practicing on and serve up recomendations on what you need to work at as well as have some leaderboards to compare against your mates. And put your unlocks in there but tied to requirements that are more about participation rather than perfection so if you want x colour for your character or a certain outfit you just need to be a diligent student rather than Diago. That would be waaay more beneficial than all the guff fighting games try to pass off as tutorial modes

SteamGAF, I've got bad news for you. Your pun game is hopeless :(

Oh and in other news, Ubisoft removed the 10% discount on The Division gold edition on Steam. Guess they figured it was selling well enough so they don't need to discount it. Sucks because I was going to buy it today.

zkylon

zkylewd
just got back from signing the contract for my government grant thingie to make my game so officially it's a thing that's gonna happen

pretty scary that i have to do serious work now but after like 4 months of working just to get this thing done i'm so fucking relieved and excited to just work on the game and not worry about money or paperwork or whatever. i was so damn stressed about this thing for the past few weeks that i wasn't sleeping well and was so damn moody, i feel like i can finally breathe

also the guy at the front desk of the government agency thingie was like the best friend of an ex friend of mine from highschool and we spent like an hour talking about league so it was pretty alright

That crew ain't going to eat themselves!

But seriously, that's how you find port reports (which, for the further they're out, are worth more) and more storylines with resultant questlines/missions/trade/smuggling/etc.
yeah i'm actually doing really well on this second run with some good money and 4 crew members and like 20 fuel and 15 supplies or something like that

i'm gonna do a long trip and see what's way over the east

hope no giant crab eats me

That travelling is the main reason i stopped playing once the free weekend was over. It just gets tedious when everything you've left to explore is the very east of the map, 3 minutes back and forth without much happening.

It was tense at times, because i didn't knew if i'm going to make it before i run out of fuel or not, but a speed up Button would've been nice,

Tho, with such a Button the game would probably be only 2 hours long.
yeah i feel like if i had played it on the free weekend i'd probably not buy it but i don't really regret going for it since i actually like it quite a lot

like i enjoy the dynamic storytelling stuff a lot and i like how explicit it is about its systems

it just feels like it maybe needs a bit of more "in between" stuff to get rid of some of the dead time during your travels cos like spamming z isn't so fun lol

Did you know that out of the 1780 unique posters in the Steam thread last year only 285 of them amassed 100 posts or more over the 13 threads? And only JaseC, Jawmuncher, Tizoc, zkylon, freshVeggie, Arthea, lashman. MMBosstones86. BernardoOne and dex3108 had 100 or more posts in every thread?
yeah but only my posts are worth reading

Tizoc

SFV Trials Mode info.

They should be geared more towards the player having an idea of what combos a chara can do

Vlad

<sigh>

It always amazes me how few PC games get save functionality right. I don't think I'm being too picky when I ask/hope for games to have these two things:

1) Some way to have multiple save profiles.
2) An in-game way to reset save game data.

This shouldn't be difficult, and it damn sure should be standard at this point, but time and time again I keep running into it. It's especially problematic with the second point, since a lot of the time I'll start a game just to see what it's about then come back to it a long while later and I'm well past the tutorial section with no easy way of just starting a new game.

Right now it's Half Minute Hero. I played 30 minutes or so of it a year or two ago, and just installed it on a new computer to get back to it. Apparently there's a way to dig through the files and delete your save after disabling the cloud backups, and while I'm sure I'll be able to follow the instructions, these hoops shouldn't have to be jumped through in the first place.

Lain

Is this allowed?

I don't know if it is allowed, but I know that's the kind of attitude that has me dislike PC gamers.

---

I'm liking playing Styx. I'm abusing the quick save/load though and almost fucked myself over when I hit quick-save instead of quick-load as I got engaged by 3 guards. Thank the heavens the game disables quick-save when engaged in combat.

Far Cry 4 wouldn't be Ubisoft's Far Cry 4 without a silly bug.

There is a checkpoint race side-mission that requires you to drive this vehicle:

Said vehicle is inexplicably slower when the input method is set to kb&m rather than a controller, and significantly so -- the best time I could get when using the kb&m was around 1m32s whereas I completed the race in roughly 1m25s when using a controller (gold requires 1m30s or lower).

Do you still have to choose between using keyboard and mouse and controller in the settings in 4? In games like that I will always pick up my controller for driving parts but I hated with 3 that it wouldn't switch between them on the fly.

Really hope games stop doing that, especially with the Steam Controller and the ability to have the right pad automatically switch from thumbstick to mouse on left trigger soft pull for third person games.

This is ridiculous. So 10 trails per character, and the plan was not to release trials for DLC characters but to avoid the backlash Capcom is saying they are thinking about it and they don't know it yet.
Capcom should just give away for FREE (no fight money or real money) the first six characters, turning into a season 2 pass the current pass for the game, and maybe the game will be worth 60&#8364; (after trials, story mode, six additional characters, a decent lobby and possibly an arcade mode).

I suppose DLC characters won't come with their short prologue too at this point?

Capcom has NEVER released trials for DLC characters. In some cases Capcom has put out trials for characters that were part of the roster during a new revision of the game if it went full retail (I think, for example, Shuma Gorath, Jill, and the new fighters in UMvC3 all got trials). And while I can't recall exactly, I do not think there were trials for yun/yang/evil ryu/oni when AE first launched. Only once Ultra came out was everyone given trials.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I cannot recall if BBCS gave trials to the downloadable character(s) or if they only got them once everything was repackaged in BBCS2E (IMO, one of the worst updates of a fighting game to charge $40+ for in recent years, right up there with the ripoff of UMvC3 for MvC3 owners [especially those who already had Shuma/Jill]).

10 trials are more than enough if it does as Uccheda says below and drops the "do every special move once" like MvC3/UMvC3 did.

Ucchedav&#257;da;196655672 said:
If we assume that they're cutting out junk like 'do a hadoken' then it may well be on par with SFIV. And if the combos are actually useful, instead of several 1-frame links for no damage, like in IV, then it could even be useful to beginners. It is, however, not a replacement for proper tutorials.

It depends on how many baby steps would be put into the "proper tutorial"... there should definitely be a V-Trigger tutorial for each character, maybe. Teaching the properties of the V-Skill, some useful applications, what V-Trigger does and applications, and a maybe a V-Reversal just so you know which buttons to use for your character.

SteamGAF, I've got bad news for you. Your pun game is hopeless :(

Oh and in other news, Ubisoft removed the 10% discount on The Division gold edition on Steam. Guess they figured it was selling well enough so they don't need to discount it. Sucks because I was going to buy it today.

Apparently Ubisoft had the bad news for you to balance out the bad news you brought for SteamGAF. (Sorry though, that sucks. It's a shame they didn't have a promotional period timer on it or something so you would have known.)

And SteamGAF has Se7enSword, we're the tip top of the pun game so long as he's around.

I don't know if it is allowed, but I know that's the kind of attitude that has me dislike PC gamers.

---

I'm liking playing Styx. I'm abusing the quick save/load though and almost fucked myself over when I hit quick-save instead of quick-load as I got engaged by 3 guards. Thank the heavens the game disables quick-save when engaged in combat.

That's #PCMASTERRACE for you...

And it would've been frustrating but kind of amusing if you could quick save in combat (though most games don't allow saving during combat period, when I think about it), cause then you might be a bit more careful/restrained with your quicksave/quickload usage. ;)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Retro City Rampage DX -- MB-F2143AE6E41BA43E - Taken by Vlad. 1 entrants total.
Sunless Sea -- MB-EB220765906226CB - Taken by bloke. 30 entrants total.

t1456433891z1.png

Vuze

Speaking about saves, I'm currently playing through Alpha Protocol (pretty fantastic game, I didn't expect it to hook me like it does) and everytime I die and it auto-reloads the last checkpoint all enemies and event scripting is gone. If I manually select the last auto save it works fine but wtf... pretty weird.

Anyone else experienced this?

zkylon

zkylewd
Speaking about saves, I'm currently playing through Alpha Protocol (pretty fantastic game, I didn't expect it to hook me like it does) and everytime I die and it auto-reloads the last checkpoint all enemies and event scripting is gone. If I manually select the last auto save it works fine but wtf... pretty weird.

Anyone else experienced this?

never happened to me in my many playthroughs

weird

Turfster

Daily xx% off
Weekend
  • Blops3 Multiplayer Starter Pack up to 34% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Arma Franchise up to 80% off
  • Ashes of Singularity 50% off

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you still have to choose between using keyboard and mouse and controller in the settings in 4? In games like that I will always pick up my controller for driving parts but I hated with 3 that it wouldn't switch between them on the fly.

Really hope games stop doing that, especially with the Steam Controller and the ability to have the right pad automatically switch from thumbstick to mouse on left trigger soft pull for third person games.

When I fired up the game the other day I had to change the input method to kb&m in order to use it in the main menu, but on-the-fly switching works just fine in the game proper (i.e. once you're playing).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Guy 1: Oh no, we haven't done anything for Black History month yet.

Guy 2: I got you, fam.

4G2zwHX.png

When I fired up the game the other day I had to change the input method to kb&m in order to use it in the main menu, but on-the-fly switching works just fine in the game proper (i.e. once you're playing).

Thanks, good to hear. Picked up Far Cry 4 in the winter sale and think I might get around to playing it soon. Maybe. Idk, I have too many games in my Steam backlog, and $18 RotTR didn't help things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom