• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
Strange. Are you sure you're searching in hidden folders as well? It runs from C:\IdleMaster for me but I don't think that's the default location.

Yeah, hidden folders are enabled.
I also tried to delete all registry entries and running again the setup, but the installer won't download anything (so updated are in the hdd), and it acts like I just start Idlemaster using a shortcut.
EDIT: So I downloaded the portable version and it seems running fine (now I'm idling, so some files got corrupted in the original installation, but probably I won't ever know what happened, since looking for any idlemaster related files give me nothing on Win 10). The question is, did I risk something on leaving those corrupted files on my PC?
Because when Idlemaster was closed (not now, when I was trying to find the exe) I noticed Steam unlocked a card and told me I was in-game, while Idlemaster wasn't on (at least I can't see it, maybe it was running in the background, I rebooted after that).
I don't wanna risk like a VAC ban or something because of that.
The portable version seems running fine (aka when I close it, Steam tells me I'm not in-game), but I don't know, better ask a maybe stupid question than having problems later I guess.

I don't know where to post this but I'm having major trouble with Fallout 4. I just got a gtx 970 and hoped to be able to play the game near 60fps with some drops because it's always that way.

Problem is when i load the game on ultra settings, or max settings, its the same framerate. it sits around 45-49 fps. Maybe one or two frames different between ultra and low preset. Anyone have any ideas?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just finished Firewatch. I enjoy walking simulators so it was a good ride. Until the end. Why is it so hard to write good endings? It was like LOST. Good build up for nothing.

And here I thought Condemned 2: Bloodshot was the true Bear Simulator.

Just finished Firewatch. I enjoy walking simulators so it was a good ride. Until the end. Why is it so hard to write good endings? It was like LOST. Good build up for nothing.

Yeah that was the only thing I didn't like about the game. Still, not gonna go on an uproar like the majority and request a refund. It was a nice 5 hour ride for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, hiddel folders are enabled.
I also tried to delete all registry entries and running again the setup, but the installer won't download anything (so updated are in the hdd), and it acts like I just start Idlemaster using a shortcut.
EDIT: So I downloaded the portable version and it seems running fine (now I'm idling, so some files got corrupted in the original installation, but probably I won't ever know what happened, since looking for any idlemaster related files give me nothing on Win 10). The question is, did I risk something on leaving those corrupted files on my PC?
Because when Idlemaster was closed (not now, when I was trying to find the exe) I noticed Steam unlocked a card and told me I was in-game, while Idlemaster wasn't on (at least I can't see it, maybe it was running in the background, I rebooted after that).
I don't wanna risk like a VAC ban or something because of that.
The portable version seems running fine (aka when I close it, Steam tells me I'm not in-game), but I don't know, better ask a maybe stupid question than having problems later I guess.

Ah. Progress is progress! I wouldn't worry about the phantom card.

Edit: I just noticed that IdleMaster is listed in Add/Remove Programs. I must have missed it when I looked earlier.

I don't know where to post this but I'm having major trouble with Fallout 4. I just got a gtx 970 and hoped to be able to play the game near 60fps with some drops because it's always that way.

Problem is when i load the game on ultra settings, or max settings, its the same framerate. it sits around 45-49 fps. Maybe one or two frames different between ultra and low preset. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like you're CPU-bound.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of Kickstarter I popped my head in there for the first time in months and I'm greeted by a couple of surveys I should have completed ages ago and one project that's close to going to alpha but is waiting for chumps like me to create an account of their site to distribute keys and submit feedback.

Is anybody else this tardy with backed project or is it just me being a bit silly?

Speaking of Kickstarter I popped my head in there for the first time in months and I'm greeted but a couple of surveys I should have completed ages ago and one project that's close to going to alpha but is waiting for chumps like me to create an account of their site to distribute keys and submit feedback.

Is anybody else this tardy with backed project or is it just me being a bit silly?

I usually do the surveys as soon as I get them. Don't like leaving it unanswered for weeks on end.

Ludens

Banned
Ah. Progress is progress! I wouldn't worry about the phantom card.

Edit: I just noticed that IdleMaster is listed in Add/Remove Programs. I must have missed it when I looked earlier.

For me there was nothing. Sent a PM to Jshackles, just to be safe.

Speaking of Kickstarter I popped my head in there for the first time in months and I'm greeted but a couple of surveys I should have completed ages ago and one project that's close to going to alpha but is waiting for chumps like me to create an account of their site to distribute keys and submit feedback.

I'm always tardy when it comes to Kickstarter surverys. I didn't get my Amplitude code at first until I realized I had to fill out a survey beforehand so Harmonix was nice enough to supply me with a code. It's probably why I don't use Kickstarter so much since it'll just be on the back of my mind.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Well considering this is like the only game that has performance issues because of the Steam API I'd say the more logical conclusion is the developers fucked up.

It happens from time to time even with the non beta API

I have micro stutter in Trackmania 2 unless I set my profile offline to deactivate the friendlist, the game runs super smooth after it's turned off... and I'm not the only one with that problem

And wasn't there a game during last year that had problems when you had more than 100 friends in your list? can't remember which game it was...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It happens from time to time even with the non beta API

I have micro stutter in Trackmania 2 unless I set my profile offline to deactivate the friendlist, the game runs super smooth after it's turned off... and I'm not the only one with that problem

And wasn't there a game in the last year that had problems when you had more than 100 friends in your list? can't remember which game it was...

I recall Mushihimesama having that problem for a bit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
An i7-2700k running at 4.4ghz? Why would that be?

You say that like I was supposed to infer from your post that you have a 2700K running at 4.4GHz. That you have a 970 doesn't exactly tell me a lot about the rest of the system. ;)

Have you tried using Afterburner or something similar to monitor your CPU/GPU load?

You say that like I was supposed to infer from your post that you have a 2700K running at 4.4GHz. That you have a 970 doesn't exactly tell me a lot about the rest of the system. ;)

Have you tried using Afterburner or something similar to monitor your CPU/GPU load?

Sorry, just frustrated here.

8gb ram at 1300mhz. i7-2700k @ 4.4ghz. Gigabyte gtx 970.

I'll try afterburner tomorrow. Set it to log loads and run around in the game for a bit.

I will say my case fans run very quiet while playing, and gpu temp barely breaks 50 degrees.

Did you guys ever hear of an ISP sending modem-router combo units which not allow routers to be connected and used with (bridging)? I now do. Seems it's a rule of nature that the bigger an ISP gets, the stupider it becomes. Sigh, gotta get me a new router and will only be able to use it in access-point mode.
i've heard that the runtime restriction disappears 3 months after activation, so i gave it a try when Wolfenstein + Addon where available for cheap somehwere.

Today is the 3 month anniversary, lo and behold, it actually works!
R2YyZFm.png
I never knew about this. As a fellow Germanite living under the tyranny of censorship, thanks for this info. I will now consider getting a Wolfenstein key from a key seller sometime in the future.
I think I found my new obsession. This looks like a game that I will be completely engrossed by the mechanics.

header.jpg

This video does a good job on introducing the game and the mechanics quickly. (Don't have to watch the entire video).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtT_Qc5DIEg
I actually heard of this game way earlier by yakkue. Looks like a game/sim one can get lost very, very quickly in. Very great idea.
Seeing as it's somewhat a SteamGAF tradition if you are playing a game with user created goons and the game involves some form of permadeath you go name them all after SteamGAFfers. So here's the first batch of you up for the choppingblock...

I'll try not to do an iosefe and get you folks killed.
Haha, that's awesome. Hope I'm still alive and dealing millions of DPS ;)

Is Firewatch PS4 Fixed With Patch 1.02?

The interesting point here for me was some info on Unity engine. He says it's an easy-to-get-into engine but has problems with threading and garbage collection which leads to bad performance and stuttering. Apparently Unity 5.4 will ship out soon and is going to address those problems.
If I were to dabble in hobby projects, I assumed Unity to be the right choice but I'm not so sure anymore. What other free engines can indie devs take advantage of to get their games up and running in similarly easy and quick way?

zkylon

zkylewd
from my personal experience unity's kind of garbage cos it's super inconsistent, the documentation's pretty sketchy and it's so unlike any other engine that the learning curve is surprisingly high. and like every patch fixes something and breaks something else...

i really don't like it

for rapid prototyping i just use gamemaker or flixel (and now i just use haxeflixel since it's about the same but better)

they're 2d engines but for prototypes u can often get the idea with 2d and they're so much easier to use

like unity is fine i guess but for being so popular it's unbelievably frustrating. like you'll hit against walls all the freaking time

edit: problems with

gamemaker:
- really slow to compile
- costs money, mobile versions cost even more
- your write in a javascript-esque language, so it's kind of awful
- debugging is hard cos it doesn't check for errors on-build super well
- scope is kinda weird, tho i kind of like how it handles it

haxeflixel:
- community is kinda barren
- it's based on like a flash engine so some things like references to stages and whatnot are super weird to wrap your head around
- windows build takes forever, so u gotta use neko or flash for testing desktop stuff and that's kind of scary
- no in-engine editor like gm or unity, but it's got tutorials to import from tiled or ogmos

Durante

So Disgaea PC isn't actually a particularly bad port. That's what happens when amateurs do evaluations :p

In any case, is anyone planning to make an OT for it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So Disgaea PC isn't actually a particularly bad port. That's what happens when amateurs do evaluations :p

I figured someone else would do it by now but if no one does one by the end of the day I can put out a basic one with some info about the game and the enhancements added to the PC version.
I mostly just do graphic stuffs there not to great on written content if you've seen my threads. lol

Durante

An interesting fact about Disgaea PC is that it uses OpenGL, like the port of the first Neptunia Rebirth game did. If that's a sign of things to come with future N1 ports it's a good one ;)

I also appreciate that they've posted an update basically every day since the port went up.

I figured someone else would do it by now but if no one does one by the end of the day I can put out a basic one with some info about the game and the enhancements added to the PC version.
Neat, I want to post in it. You could make it |OT| Not actually a bad port to try and make up for some of the previous (mis-)information.

There might be games.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mavromatis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tiny Troopers -- MB-BBA5C5A4C61FCC54 - Taken by bobnowhere. 6 entrants total.
Nuclear Dawn -- MB-90831367BB003D45 - Taken by fertygo. 1 entrants total.
Gas Guzzlers Extreme -- MB-6592E21788137B76 - Taken by septicore. 6 entrants total.

t1546218000z0.png

Knurek

An interesting fact about Disgaea PC is that it uses OpenGL, like the port of the first Neptunia Rebirth game did. If that's a sign of things to come with future N1 ports it's a good one ;)

You mean, each and every one will sell less and less, and they will switch to D3D along the way? ;)
(Fairy Fencer uses DirectX)

Durante

You mean, each and every one will sell less and less, and they will switch to D3D along the way? ;)
(Fairy Fencer uses DirectX)
No, I mean that they are all very competent. (I know they switched)

Also, obviously if they release a NIS SRPG every 5 months now they will sell progressively fewer copies. That's hardly surprising, and the topic of a thread I made a while ago.

Basically, they have no one but themselves to blame for not starting sooner :p

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i like sunless sea a whole lot

like, i'll probably never beat it and i'm not sure if i'll want to start over after this character dies but i really enjoy casually exploring and being so close to near death experiences (i had a mutiny that i had 26% chance of defusing or it would've been game over and i got so lucky) but then coming back a little bit stronger and wiser

Knurek

Also, obviously if they release a NIS SRPG every 5 months now they will sell progressively fewer copies. (...)
Basically, they have no one but themselves to blame for not starting sooner :p

I wish they'd put a bundle, instead of putting out each game separately.

I mean, Disgaea Bundle (Disgaea 1-4) for $30, Makai Kingdom Bundle (La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom and Soul Nomad) for $30 and (one can dream) Uta no Prince-sama bundle (first 4 games) for $30.

Instant money.

Ludens

Banned
I wish they'd put a bundle, instead of putting out each game separately.

I mean, Disgaea Bundle (Disgaea 1-4) for $30, Makai Kingdom Bundle (La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom and Soul Nomad) for $30 and (one can dream) Uta no Prince-sama bundle (first 4 games) for $30.

Instant money.

They put the first one for 20€ (Disgaea), do you expect a bundle of four games for 30$/30€?

I checked this 24 hours ago. Despite it supposedly being only 500 keys they've still got some left?
Actually they restocked several hours ago.

Speaking of gleam stuff 25k copies of Iesabel are being given away as three separate gleam pages:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/LotsOGiveaways#announcements/detail/645509438854647900
Don't get more than one. As for why do 3 separate giveaways:
http://www.steamgifts.com/go/comment/HtAdfiO said:
LoG admin here, this is a sponsored giveaway, we had to do it all at once. We can see who entered in which one, I will go through entries one by one and determinate who broke this rule. Gleam added restrictions to "Pro" plan so we can create up to 10k now. Their new Business plan which removes restrictions costs 150$/month, pro plan costs about 40$/month. This is kinda shitty from them, since they set a restriction on paid plan which didn't have them b4.
In other words expect lots more 10k giveaways from gleam.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It's driving me a little crazy, but I swear I've played a game like Superhot before. I feel like I've developed some Hotline Miami/Any FPS where you grab items out of midair in slow motion false memory. FEAR? The Max Payne games? Bulletstorm? Timeshift? Hmm.

Dr Dogg

SUPERHOT HAS THE MOST INNOVATIVE VIRAL MARKETING PLAN I'VE SEEN IN YEARS!

What? People blindly believing what someone with an obvious lack of technical knowledge says about a PC port who's sole testing was done in just one environment? Who would have thought!

Saying that the game does have a few oddities that I'm scratching my head at. Running it windowed and set to default in game it gives me a 952x536 viewport, whilst it's rendering 960x544 when checking the framebuffer objects of one context. So I went and manually changed the window size to suit because there was some odd uneven stair stepping going on which I though might have been scaling artefacts but no that's how it is. Don't know if something has gone awry when increasing the resolution here from what ever the PSP version resolutions was (which I guess must have been 480x272) but every now then it catches my eye.

But other than that I'm quit chuffed with it. Mouse controls are good for what you'd expect for this type of game and a developer with little to no PC experience. Works pretty well on my Surface as well using touch controls too. Though having to use the in game keyboard whilst sat in front of a proper one isn't ideal but it's not that you need text input all that often. Not overly keen on some of the additions and new map textures but thankfully, like all good PC versions, you have options to keep them as they originally were. Also with the addition of nearest neighbour (or bilinear if your so inclined and want to keep it like the original) interpolation/filtering for sprites it's probably the best looking version of Disgaea by a country mile.

Well if they don't have one ready I already made a logo for the banner.
8EA5xfD.png

Didn't want to use what NISA used since it looks like someone made it in 10 seconds.
I forgot to add the worness to the stroke but *shrug* I was planning on working on it more.

I don't necessarily an OT needs to be the work of Tolstoy (or the Saatchi brothers going by how many marketing materials some contain). An OT that just says 'Hey Disgaea is out on PC, here's where you can buy it, come here to discuss it. Don't spoil things for newcomers' is still better than no OT. Even Anteater's low rent Gurumin PC OT got some peeps in there talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom