• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we already got the big news of the day- South Park's coming in 2013 after all! December 10th.

Although good old ubisoft is delaying the PC version again for no good reason, so maybe it won't hit 2013 after all. Here's hoping it's only a week or two at most.

I saw that too. This day keeps getting better.

Saige

I must do better.
Looks like we already got the big news of the day- South Park's coming in 2013 after all! December 10th.

Although good old ubisoft is delaying the PC version again for no good reason, so maybe it won't hit 2013 after all. Here's hoping it's only a week or two at most.

Damn I thought Ubi was cutting that shit out. I’m really disliking this trend of delaying PC ports for no reason.

Sorry to just swoop in and ask, but is there any news on whats going to happen to Dark Souls' GFWL? Or rather, any stuff people have found out from snoopin?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A nice early Christmas present. I wouldn't worry about the PC version being needlessly delayed as Ubi is only publishing the game and the company doesn't force its shitty practices down the throats of its third-party partners.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sorry to just swoop in and ask, but is there any news on whats going to happen to Dark Souls' GFWL? Or rather, any stuff people have found out from snoopin?

No, nothing firm.

There is clearly a dude at From still doing random work on the port, but who knows where that is going.

Copons

Oh, still 9 minutes. I closed Dark Souls too early. Now I want to play it again some more, because who knows how many more times I'm gonna die in 9 minutes.

MRORANGE

Less than 10 minutes to go...

herp3nsw3.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wonder who Valve is partnering with for the controller. I hope it's Logitech as their quality can be pretty fantastic and they seem to already have a decent relationship with Valve.

Derrick01

Banned
A nice early Christmas present. I wouldn't worry about the PC version being needlessly delayed as Ubi is only publishing the game and the company doesn't force its shitty practices down the throats of its third-party partners.

The press release said it's delayed. Although it doesn't specify that it's a worldwide delay but I don't see a reason why it'd only be delayed on PC in 1 territory.

London, UK - 25 September 2013 - Today, Ubisoft®, South Park Digital Studios and Obsidian Entertainment announced South Park: The Stick of Truth, will be available in the UK on the 13th of December for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The Windows PC release date will be shared at a later time.

Fans can check out the latest action in South Park: The Stick of Truth by watching the new “Destiny” trailer, released today. In the trailer, the New Kid steps forth and fulfils his…destiny.

About South Park: The Stick of Truth
Arm yourself with weapons of legend to defeat underpants gnomes, hippies and other forces of evil. Discover the lost Stick of Truth and earn your place at the side of Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny as their new friend. Succeed, and you shall be South Park’s saviour, cementing your social status in South Park Elementary. Fail, and you will forever be known as a loser.

In addition, the South Park: The Stick of Truth Grand Wizard Edition, a must-have for any self-respecting South Park fan, will also be available on the 13th of December and features a trove of mystical items from the deepest reaches of South Park to aid you in your quest to acquire the Stick of Truth and rid the realm of evil.

The Grand Wizard Edition will be available in the UK at www.amazon.co.uk and via the Uplay shop and includes:

· South Park: The Stick of Truth Game
The full game on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

· Grand Wizard Kidrobot® Cartman Figure
Own the Grand Wizard Cartman and his stick of authority with this six-inch replica figure from Kidrobot®. The Grand Wizard Cartman figure is not available in stores and can only be found in the Grand Wizard Edition.

· Kingdom of South Park Map
The entire town of South Park has been mapped for the first time in South Park history.

· The Stick of Truth Ultimate Fellowship Pack
Unlock the ultimate fellowship with the one pack to rule them all! Choose your class and pick your perk with four exclusive Stick of Truth costumes that come equipped with special abilities. Suit up as the Necromancer Sorcerer to increase your fire damage, earn extra gold by equipping the Rogue Assassin outfit, deal extra weapon damage with the Ranger Elf costume, or raise your defence with the Holy Defender outfit. The choice is yours, New Kid.

I wonder who Valve is partnering with for the controller. I hope it's Logitech as their quality can be pretty fantastic and they seem to already have a decent relationship with Valve.
Logitech's customer support also happens to be some of the best there is, they'll practically send you a replacement for things with no questions asked.

Steam MachineS?

plural??

Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world. We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS.

oipic

Will be very interesting to see how close to the mark that 'anonymous' post on Reddit regarding the finer details of the 'SteamBox' (or the 'reference design' of which) will be...

Here we go!

Questions!

When can I buy one?!
Beginning in 2014, there will be multiple SteamOS machines to choose from, made by different manufacturers.

I’m pretty happy with my PC Gaming setup, do I have to buy a new piece of hardware now?
No. Everything that we’ve been doing on Steam for the last 10 years will continue to move forward.

If you guys are delivering an OS to hardware manufacturers, why is Valve also making its own box?
We're conducting a beta of the overall Steam living-room experience, so we needed to build prototype hardware on which to run tests. At Valve we always rely on real-world testing as part of our design process. The specific machine we're testing is designed for users who want the most control possible over their hardware. Other boxes will optimize for size, price, quietness, or other factors.

How will you choose the 300 beta participants?
A small number of users (30 or less) will be chosen based on their past community contributions and beta participation. The remainder will be chosen at random from the eligible pool.

Should I create lots of Steam accounts to increase my chances of getting selected?
No, that won’t work.

What are the specs of the Valve prototype?
We'll tell you more about it soon. Remember, there will ultimately be several boxes to choose from, with an array of specifications, price, and performance.

Where’s a picture of it? How big is it?
We promise we'll tell you more about it soon.

When will the prototypes ship?
This year.

Will beta testers be allowed to share info about their experience and post pictures and opinions online?
Yes, that really is the whole point. The input from testers should come in many forms: bug reports, forum posts, concept art, 3D prints, haikus, and also very publicly stated opinions.

Will I be able to build my own box to run SteamOS?
Yes.
Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

Can I download the OS to try it out?
You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.

If I’m not in the beta, how can I help and contribute feedback?
The Steam Universe Group is where feedback is being collected. Most areas of the group will remain open for participation by all Steam users. Some may be limited to beta participants only, but there will be plenty of ways to contribute feedback for everyone.

What games will be available during the beta?
The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming.

What is SteamOS? What’s included?
Here's a link to what we said earlier about SteamOS. We'll have more details to tell you, soon.

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

'input' confirmed for Friday

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I’m pretty happy with my PC Gaming setup, do I have to buy a new piece of hardware now?
No. Everything that we’ve been doing on Steam for the last 10 years will continue to move forward.

Based on this, I'm going to conclude that Valve is abandoning Windows and going Steam Machine exclusive and that all my existing games will be stolen from me. THIS IS THE WORST ANYTHING EVER

Can I download the OS to try it out?
You will be able to download it (including the source code, if you're into that) but not yet.

It's pretty clear to me that Valve is abandoning Linux's openness and that you won't be able to download the source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom