• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsylumX

Woo.

B5BVuiZ.png

Congratz, you lucky...

Brutal. Enjoyed reading the steam machines page, REALLY enjoyed the bit about how you could be 1 in 300 who get a prototype to try....sad enough that I don't even have 10 friends hahah. Doniefnwhalberg if any of you pity me enough, don't worry about it.

Grief.exe

300 out of millions, I'm sure I'll get in!

I really just want the tiny apple tv-sized box to stream from my PC. No need for a full on PC in my living room.

Sounds like 30 are bookmarked for people who have had past beta testing experience with Valve.

So a slightly slimmer chance.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Just realised that Scribblenauts Unmasked is actually adding up the discounts (10% off for prerelase and 25% off for owning Scribblenauts Unlimited), rather than applying them in succession, so it's 35% off... have it in the cart, do not know what to do D:

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question! I have a 50% off code for a game.

If the 50% offer is in my inventory, does it only apply to full retail price or will it stack on top of a sale price?

There's no way to be sure until the game is on sale, but I'll mention that a coupon stacking on top of a pre-existing discount is something the publisher has to opt into; the default behaviour of coupons is that they're unable to be used at all when the item is discounted (e.g. if you have a coupon for 75% off Bad Rats but it's 50% off as part of a Weekly Deal, you can't switch to the coupon at checkout).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
i was not joking. is it possible to buy valve financial actions? can you give me a link of their graph?

Valve is a privately held company. If you're asking if you can buy stock in Valve, the answer is no.

r3n4ud

Just realised that Scribblenauts Unmasked is actually adding up the discounts (10% off for prerelase and 25% off for owning Scribblenauts Unlimited), rather than applying them in succession, so it's 35% off... have it in the cart, do not know what to do D:
The game is 20$ at green man with a code, I believe...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
And thank god. Some shareholder would have demanded they pursue a project like Quantum Conundrum.

They used to be publicly owned but they're now very proud of the fact that they have no outside monetary influence.

When asked about whether or not Valve would start selling stock Gabe Newell said:

You end up with a totally different set of decisions, and the person who's trying to design the experience is like' Okay, I guess we'll put Christopher Walken in our game.

geebee

Banned
With the announcement of the Steam machine beta, I realize I hardly have any friends on my list haha.

Could someone send me an invite to the GAF Steam group or friend invites? I just got back into PC gaming this year, so I've been missing out.

Steam ID: geebee765

JaseC

Vouchers that don't stack say that they don't in the description. If there's nothing they do.

Huh, so they do. I hadn't noticed that before.

They used to be publicly owned but they're now very proud of the fact that they have no outside monetary influence.

Valve partnered with Sierra to co-publish Half-Life and Half-Life 2, but at no point was the company public.

The_Monk

There are currently 12,373 eligible beta candidates.

And this will last for an entire month. I wonder how much candidates they will get.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Apparently, PacMan Championship Edition EX+ only has audio if you set your device (on windows) to play out as Stereo.

As I have a logitech G930, I *cannot* set it to stereo: it always outputs at 7.1. I can disable all the extra (fake) speakers (which is what I do) and get a Stereo output for it, but Windows will always see it as a 7.1 device, this giving me no audio in PacMan.

Oh Banco....

Reading the Steam Machines thread and I cant believe there are people thinking it could be a console or others claiming how developers can optimize their games if there are different hardware. o_O

jshackles

Valve partnered with Sierra to co-publish Half-Life and Half-Life 2, but at no point was the company public.

Oh right my mistake. What I meant to say was they used to owe a lot of money to private investors, which they completely paid off after the success of Half-Life 2.

Turfster

New Humble Bundle:
Humble Mobile Bundle 2
  • Star Command
  • Time Surfer
  • Punch Quest
  • Bloons TD5
BTA 8.27$
  • Ravensword: shadowlands
  • Carmageddon

No steam keys, though. (Hoped there'd be one for Carmageddon)

JaseC

Oh right my mistake. What I meant to say was they used to owe a lot of money to private investors, which they completely paid off after the success of Half-Life 2 and became "wholly owned".

I don't think there were any private investors: Harrington and Newell were both "Microsoft Millionaires" and used their own money to keep Valve afloat during the development of Half-Life. Presumably, after Half-Life 2 launched and Valve was rolling in enough money to become self-sufficient (outside of retail distribution), Valve paid back whatever Sierra/Vivendi had coughed up over the years, but I don't think there were any other fingers in the Valve pie even in the early days.

The_Monk

Humble Mobile Humble 2

Star Command
Time Surfer
Punch Quest
Bloons TD 5

BTA

Ravensword: Shadowlands
Carmageddon

EDIT: Got Turfster'd !

Copons

This may be a dumb question, and maybe I'm just missing the point, but I'm going to ask this anyway in the hopes that one of you in this thread can enlighten me.

Okay, so about SteamOS and the forthcoming SteamMachine...

So, I already have a gaming PC that I play my Steam games on. And so does everyone else who plays games on Steam. Occasionally I even hook it up to my 61" Toshiba HDTV to play on. So then, what exactly does this SteamOS do for us? I mean I'm not giving up Win7 by any means, is that what most of you are planning to do? What about all of the other games that aren't on Steam? Are you planning to dual boot operating systems or something? Or are most people planning on building a whole new PC just to run SteamOS on? And if you did, what would be the benefits of doing so over simply running normal Steam on Windows?

And with the SteamMachine, are people hoping it will run better than their normal gaming PC's? Is this mainly targeted towards people with old weak gaming computers, or is it expected to run better than a current "high end" PC?

I think both the SteamOS and SteamMachine are neat announcements and all, but I'm failing to see what all the hooplah is about. I'm perfectly happy with the current Steam application and gaming with how Steam now works.
Maybe I'm just not getting the big picture or something? Does it have some more profound impact for gaming on Steam down the road?

Letting alone the fact that Valve is offering so many ways of using all this stuff that anyone could find a tailored one for himself.

I think you should look on the long term.
SteamOS and Steam Machines are like "Trojan horses" to push PC gaming in another direction, while still maintaining all the backward compatibility (which is arguably one of the most important, if not the most, features of PC gaming).

Currently PCs are bound to Windows, which is a closed and proprietary system.
With SteamOS, Valve is trying to shift it to a Linux standard (while ok... Steam is still a closed and proprietary system... :D ), that while right now may seem like a jump in the dark, could be great for the health of "PC gaming" as a platform.

Also, it should be considered that expanding (to Android for example), opening and simplifying the possibilities of PC gaming should increase the user base, thus inevitably increasing the developers engagement to PC. More users, more games. Everybody (mainly SteamGAF) wins.

RealMeat

Banned

When asked about whether or not Valve would start selling stock Gabe Newell said:
You end up with a totally different set of decisions, and the person who's trying to design the experience is like' Okay, I guess we'll put Christopher Walken in our game.
But putting Christopher Walken in their games would be awesome! Maybe they should go public.

Twinduct

New Humble Bundle:
Humble Mobile Bundle 2
  • Star Command
  • Time Surfer
  • Punch Quest
  • Bloons TD5
BTA 8.27$
  • Ravensword: shadowlands
  • Carmageddon

No steam keys, though. (Hoped there'd be one for Carmageddon)

Muthe Effing Star Command!
Although would have been nice if I got it via play store for auto updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom