• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Guys, I had this amazing dream last night.

Rockstar/Take Two officially announced GTA V for the PC, and in order to celebrate, they were teaming up with Humble Bundle to offer GTA, GTA II, GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas (inc. Android ports) + GTA IV Complete if you beat the average... and Max Payne 3/LA Noire possibly being added as bonus games.

Then I woke up... and I felt so sad :(

lol, seriously, is there a chance of something like this happening in the future? hah :p

Sorry man, you'll just have to settle for the $7.50-12.50 GTA bundle and MP3/LA Noire for 5 a piece in some Amazon sale.

Whools

You see, these massive unclaimed giveaways I don't feel bad for getting it to a friend.

They've been around for so long and nobody cared...

yeah,I was thinking I'll wait a while and for the gaffers who want them to claim them, and then i'll ask some friends without accounts if they'd like any of the leftovers.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have you tried The Last Remnant?
Final Fantasy VIII feels like an Akitoshi Kawazu game, The Last Remnant is an Akitoshi Kawazu game.
Supposedly, PC version is quite fun.

I haven't but it's been dangerously close to the top of my backlog for a while now. Might have to give it a go once I'm done with Final Fantasy VII if VIII isn't available by then.

Grief.exe

Incognita just added icons and logos to their app

953418f23d5c19e04bce778117688262bee575c5.ico

8b573b5a7863fc2c32efb4dd8df67427451acde3.jpg

I made a quick and dirty one that I prefer

i332Cnk92hzan.png

jediyoshi

Guys, I had this amazing dream last night.

Rockstar/Take Two officially announced GTA V for the PC, and in order to celebrate, they were teaming up with Humble Bundle to offer GTA, GTA II, GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas (inc. Android ports) + GTA IV Complete if you beat the average... and Max Payne 3/LA Noire possibly being added as bonus games.

Then I woke up... and I felt so sad :(

lol, seriously, is there a chance of something like this happening in the future? hah :p

Sweet dreams are made of Bully 2 and PC RDR.

As long as there are no keys remaining tomorrow so I can move on the next batch, I'm happy.

Hey Stump, I'm just curious. Are those keys that have been sitting there for a while or just any that matched those games? Just wondering if someone registered a key for one of those games right before the giveaway and their key would get included in the giveaway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey Stump, I'm just curious. Are those keys that have been sitting there for a while or just any that matched those games? Just wondering if someone registered a key for one of those games right before the giveaway and their key would get included in the giveaway.

Modbot has had something like 5000 games given away, all of these games predate the 3200 game mark. Because of a stupid architectural decision I made earlier on I can't tell you the exact date cutoff there, but rest assured this is all old stuff and no one is being denied credit. + both the Steam thread and ModBot FAQ thread clarified the intention of implementing this policy on a go-forward basis at least a month ago. It's important to me that whenever possible the givers get credit for their games and I'd never snatch anyone else's stuff immediately like that :)

Modbot has had something like 5000 games given away, all of these games predate the 3200 game mark. Because of a stupid architectural decision I made earlier on I can't tell you the exact date cutoff there, but rest assured this is all old stuff and no one is being denied credit. + both the Steam thread and ModBot FAQ thread clarified the intention of implementing this policy on a go-forward basis at least a month ago. It's important to me that whenever possible the givers get credit for their games and I'd never snatch anyone else's stuff immediately like that :)

Ah cool, I was just curious how it worked. Thanks! It's a pretty cool system.

Retne

Is there a way to remove a F2P game from my Steam account?

You have to bathe in the blood of a freshly slain minotaur. Then perform a channel dance around your pc. Finally look into the mirror and speak gaben's name three times clearly.

Actually I think you just have to put in a support ticket and hope for the best.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Done!

Such a dick move.

The keys ARE FREE, all you have to do is ask Valve.

That literally means "we don't care about you, who bought our game, enough to ask for a free key and provide it to you".

Fuck'em

"We couldn't sell enough copies of our game so we devalued it by putting it in a dozen bundles to stay afloat but now that the Steam gravy train is rolling in we don't want to limit our income. We think there's a chance some of you will re-buy, so we'd rather make cash off you"

Ken

Ask Steam Support to remove it, depends on the game.

You have to bathe in the blood of a freshly slain minotaur. Then perform a channel dance around your pc. Finally look into the mirror and speak gaben's name three times clearly.

Actually I think you just have to put in a support ticket and hope for the best.

Hmm, how about...

Is there a way to stop Steam from constantly trying to get an update to a F2P game that doesn't show up in my library and as a result, my download list as well which means I can't manually pause updating or delete local content. I've tried removing folders and files associated with its reg key or whatever (game is Vindictus) but Steam still tries to grab the patch regardless. It turned out that Nexon threw an IP region lock on it in sometime after I stopped playing it so I can't really do anything with it anymore.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Fucking Rockin' Android.

I loved Bunny Must Die when I saw it on Greenlight and I bought that Indie Royale mainly for the eventual Steam key. I hope people make enough noise about this so we get them.

-----

I just "beat" Proteus. The game was pretty, yeah, whatever, but the real meat for me was chasing bunnies around the island and make the drown in the sea while they flee from me. I think I might have a problem.

dani_dc

I pretty much doubt those people will be looking to rebuy the game on Steam if that's what they're hoping for. This will just lead to bad word of mouth and hurt their product.
I can not understand how they fail to realize this.

As for me, and even though this particularly situation doesn't affect me, I'll be avoiding buying their games in the future, starting with Cloudphobia on Groupees current bundle.

kafiend

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686871

131 Humble Origin Bundle game keys at random. No rules. 15 minute throttle disabled. No warranties. For the love of god take this shit.

There should be a "If you like these free games then get your ass in the Steam thread where they were given away in the first place." in the giveaway threads.

That is of course if this is the only thread where modbot gets serial abuse.

rtcn63

Don't worry, Sine Mora is very "user friendly" and it's excellent. Probably you'll have some trouble with just one boss, but once you figure it, it's not so difficult.

Cool, I started it up. Chose the novice route, stopped at Chapter II-B because it's too dark. Play at night.

Turfster

There should be a "If you like these free games then get your ass in the Steam thread where they were given away in the first place." in the giveaway threads.

B... But that would lead to a flood of... *whispers*strangers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I rather not. We all know how the Steam Sale threads are terrible.

It's comfy in here, let's leave all the bad people out there. We got enough of "them" as it is.

jshackles

I pretty much doubt those people will be looking to rebuy the game on Steam if that's what they're hoping for. This will just lead to bad word of mouth and hurt their product.
I can not understand how they fail to realize this.

I certainly won't buy it again - if I want to play it I can just start up Desura and play it from there. The Steam key is really only about convenience.

I'm sure their reasoning is that Steam keys can be given away to non-purchasers. So I still have my Desura version of the game, and I give my Steam key to someone else and suddenly 2 people have it. And they consider it a "lost sale".

Tellaerin

Nooo! They'll trample our garden! ; ;

jediyoshi

Hmm, how about...

Is there a way to stop Steam from constantly trying to get an update to a F2P game that doesn't show up in my library and as a result, my download list as well which means I can't manually pause updating or delete local content. I've tried removing folders and files associated with its reg key or whatever (game is Vindictus) but Steam still tries to grab the patch regardless. It turned out that Nexon threw an IP region lock on it in sometime after I stopped playing it so I can't really do anything with it anymore.

Just to clarify, the game isn't even installed and Steam is downloading its updates?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's super lame to highlight "Steam Greenlight" on bundle pages and then not give away steam keys once it's greenlight. Super scummy.

Turfster

Just to clarify, the game isn't even installed and Steam is downloading its updates?

Weird. The F2P stuff I tried (Alien Swarm, Spiral Knights) has disappeared from my library after I did a "delete local content" on it. Are you sure everything is gone? No stub for a junction left in a steam directory somewhere or something?

mrgone

I'm trying to find a record of them promising keys - there was always the implication that folks'll get keys for greenlit games, but something in writing would help get them to change their minds, or at least definitively prove that they're lying liars.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Unfortunately, Greenlight comments were limited to 1000 characters, but I left this on the game's Greenlight page:
Many users who supported your Greenlight campaign also purchased this game externally in part out of an expectation of a Steam key. In fact, most games in this situation have done the same in the past, particularly when they are part of bundles and thus have no additional costs infrastructurally to issue the Steam keys. While you might make the case that such expectations are not warranted, the fact remains that you have unhappy customers as a result.

Some of the anger you will face over this might have been soothed if it were made explicitly clear that you would not be offering Steam keys BEFORE being Greenlit. It is possible that if you had done so, fewer people would have voted for you and you would not have been Greenlit to begin with. If your Greenlight victory is based on a misconception (even if it's an honest one), that's bad for your reputation and for the process itself.

I certainly won't buy it again - if I want to play it I can just start up Desura and play it from there. The Steam key is really only about convenience.

I'm sure their reasoning is that Steam keys can be given away to non-purchasers. So I still have my Desura version of the game, and I give my Steam key to someone else and suddenly 2 people have it. And they consider it a "lost sale".

The hole in their logic is assuming that any human being has ever used a Desura key to play a game ever under any circumstance. That's an assumption that is almost certainly false.

rtcn63

Offered a Dead Space key I won to a friend from Sweden/Finland, who's a prolific gamer/steam user... he's never heard of the franchise.

dani_dc

I'm sure their reasoning is that Steam keys can be given away to non-purchasers. So I still have my Desura version of the game, and I give my Steam key to someone else and suddenly 2 people have it.

Considering the market penetration of Desura, I doubt that's much of an actual issue.

That and generally mistreating your userbase is not a good idea, especially when you're a small company.

The_Monk

Unfortunately, Greenlight comments were limited to 1000 characters, but I left this on the game's Greenlight page:

The hole in their logic is assuming that any human being has ever used a Desura key to play a game ever under any circumstance. That's an assumption that is almost certainly false.

I loved this. Well put fellow GAFfer. I also don't like how they just went on Twitter and said "yep no keys SORRY!"

Joe Molotov

On the Steam Community page for it, they gave some bullshit answer like "The guy that promised you Steam keys doesn't work here anymore" or something. :rolleyes

jshackles

Something else worth pointing out that just doesn't make sense:

If I don't own a game on Steam, I can't recommend it. Recommendations are like free advertising of your product to my Steam friends. Denying Steam keys to people who previously purchased the game prevents them from recommending it to their friends on Steam.

derExperte

The Indie Royale bundles don't even sell that much and I bet a lot of the buyers won't notice if there's suddenly a Steam key a year later. So the lost sales are limited, it's just bad publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom