• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
I thought that the Hitman sales would end this afternoon, not now. I wanted to buy Codename 47 and Silent Assasin. <_<

But, for a future sale, as a person who really enjoyed Hitman Blood Money (played for the first time 6 months ago), should I buy Codename 47 and Silent Assassin?

Currently playing Absolution (previously bought), and beside the awful facepalm-instinct mechanic (but, on a positive note, for now, I wasn't forced to use it. I was able to avoid or distract guards), if you play on Hard like I'm doing its not much easier than Blood Money on normal.
How well is it regarded as an Hitman game? Probably the worst of them all. :lol
But it looks like it's full of unlockables, and the contracts look cool too.
Graphics are awesome. Not beign able to disable the hud it's just stupid.

I would recommend skipping codename 47 because it really doesn't hold up very well now, not just in the obvious ways like graphics and controls but just as a Hitman game. Silent Assassin is much better there and holds up better than most current games because of its depth.

Absolution's the worst Hitman game by far. The first half of the game exposes how many problems it has and the second half it's like they just said "fuck it we can't make a good game. Just make a bunch of small linear levels with 400 guards in each of them". They didn't even pretend to stick to the normal Hitman routine anymore for that part.

I can't keep up with all these bundles. I see a Nordic A & B bundle in the registry

A: Red Faction: Armageddon, The Guild II, Sup Com, Sup Com Forged Alliance

B: Painkiller H&D, Darksiders II, DSII - Crucible Pass, SpellForce 2, Gothic 4

I wouldn't be surprised if more stuff was added.

I'd buy that. Probably a few weeks away unfortunately.

Dolor

I can't keep up with all these bundles. I see a Nordic A & B bundle in the registry

Some decent games there for sure. SupCom games are quite good, but require some effort to master tham. It's too bad Red Faction: Armageddon suffered from the fact that it came after the fantastic Red Faction: Guerilla, because it really wasn't that bad a game itself. Similarly, I think Darksiders II was a pretty decent game but suffered from following the first game.

From Twitter:

The Rayman Legends PC patch is now available! Please check your local Ubisoft-Rayman forums for details and Patch Notes.

Can't find the patch notes right now (I'm at work), why the fuck didn't they post a link :lol

Only need Painkiller out of that.
Unless I really enjoy my retail Spellforce compilation so I'll bother to buy a steam key.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I would recommend skipping codename 47 because it really doesn't hold up very well now, not just in the obvious ways like graphics and controls but just as a Hitman game. Silent Assassin is much better there and holds up better than most current games because of its depth.

Good, I'll buy it in the next sales.

Absolution's the worst Hitman game by far. The first half of the game exposes how many problems it has and the second half it's like they just said "fuck it we can't make a good game. Just make a bunch of small linear levels with 400 guards in each of them". They didn't even pretend to stick to the normal Hitman routine anymore for that part.

Ouch, not looking forward to that.
Then let's hope that the next Hitman will be what Blacklist apparently is to Conviction.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
100 US dollars? fuck that's expensive.

Perhaps, if your game hasn't sold a single unit, but the intent is perfectly reasonable: Greenlight was initially flooded with joke submissions, behaviour which the paywall discourages.

webrunner

has anyone noticed the controller on the Family Sharing image
steamfsbp0sa7.jpg

and on the steam livingroom page:

wqS1mIs.jpg

both have three buttons, even though they're different shaped controllers.

Not that I think Valve would do that, they'd probably want to keep the dual stick+4 buttons+shoulders thing just to keep console parity for ports, right?

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I'm kinda curious as to why there hasn't been 'xliveless' mods for other games after using it with GTA. Seems like an easy solution to playing gfwl games after it gets shut down.

There's an xliveless mod for every game, since it works with every gfwl game.

Welp Steam Bros, I'm on my way to the cardiologist to find out if there's something wrong with my heart. :-\

Hopefully I'll be back to see announcement three, which is hopefully more than just a controller.

JaseC

has anyone noticed the controller on the Family Sharing image
steamfsbp0sa7.jpg

and on the steam livingroom page:

wqS1mIs.jpg

both have three buttons, even though they're different shaped controllers.

Not that I think Valve would do that, they'd probably want to keep the dual stick+4 buttons+shoulders thing just to keep console parity for ports, right?

I wouldn't worry about Valve attempting to subvert a de facto standard that the PlayStation entrenched almost two decades ago.

Edit: The depictions in Valve's controller patent have four face buttons.

chronomac

I wouldn't worry about Valve attempting to subvert a de facto standard that the PlayStation entrenched almost two decades ago.

There might be a chance that they let manufacturers just create their own controller forms as long as the button layout doesn't change, so we can pick what works best.

JaseC

There might be a chance that they let manufacturers just create their own controller forms as long as the button layout doesn't change, so we can pick what works best.

Possibly, but I assume Valve would be flexible with the actual layout -- it's the type of buttons, and the amount thereof, that would be standardised.

Welp Steam Bros, I'm on my way to the cardiologist to find out if there's something wrong with my heart. :-\

Hopefully I'll be back to see announcement three, which is hopefully more than just a controller.

Best of luck.

yoshizzle

I hope everything turns out okay for you. I wish you luck.

chronomac

Possibly, but I assume Valve would be flexible with the actual layout -- it's the type of buttons, and the amount thereof, that would be standardised.

That's what I meant by layout. And if I'm Valve I want the buttons and joysticks standardized. 2 joysticks, 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, or something like that, and I don't let anyone stray too far from that to curb problems down the road. That being said, they can let other companies change the grips or the size or smaller things like that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Good luck man.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm still in awe of what Valve has managed to pull off with Family Sharing. They better broaden the shit out of that Beta though because I need 2 more friends to complete my family library.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I don't think Valve would dare enter the controller market without some significant difference with the competition.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think Valve would dare enter the controller market without some significant difference with the competition.

Sony made the same controller for like 20 years straight. People are probably going to reject something if it's too different from the basics.

I hope it is something that seems completely stupid but ends up being amazing...and makes you money.

If anybody can do it Valve can.

Li Kao

Ouch, I was there in January, I wish you the best.

Well, trading cards help sell games...

I wanna see numbers on how fully supporting controllers and bpm does for sales numbers.

I hope we see some mention of that when the controller gets unveiled today.

I actually hope that the controller they make does something where it has a joy2key type function through steam so games that might never be fixed or patched in with controller use, or games that don't have remappable controls can be mapped through the client itself. That also opens up all sorts of fun options like community mappings that can be found and and used. You want southpaw but the dev didn't put in a remapper and it's not one of the control schemes? Someone has mapped that and uploaded that already, just shift tab and subscribe! I don't know how that work on a hardware level though.

Acccent

I'm finally going to start X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Name your men after thread regulars so you can either cheer when you sacrifice them (more or less murder) or feel bad when you accidentally kill them.

Yeah, when I was playing it I named the soldiers after my coworkers and took screenshots for every notable moment, and every week I would send a big newsletter with updates on the amazing feats/dramatic deaths of everyone, in a slightly romanticized way. I enjoyed the game a heck of a lot more (even though it is in itself already a superb game) and people in my office really liked it too and it was a frequent discussion topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom