• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
Rösti;83882813 said:
controller8xp1e.png

miyamoto-oi9uxg.gif

The Cowboy

I don't like it, it just seems very strange to have the 4 face buttons setup like that. I'd love to try it out before purchase, but I can't see my self paying for one of these in the hope I like it.

Needs a competent D-pad and grouped physical buttons.

This is it really, it makes itself good for standard K/M games (that don't use many buttons) but then it makes itself bad for things that would use a D-pad and buttons.

Grief.exe

Interesting. The whole design of the controller is to be compatible with all PC games available.

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support. (We’ve fooled those older games into thinking they’re being played with a keyboard and mouse, but we’ve designed a gamepad that’s nothing like either one of those devices.) We think you’ll agree that we’re onto something with the Steam Controller, and now we want your help with the design process.

VVIS

Neo Member
Love the buttons on the backside grip, love the steamcastpadlcd, trust valve on the trackpads, ready for live demo videos, enough TL;DR shit.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just like how Steambox is not supposed to replace your regular computer, what if this controller is not supposed to replace your regular controller?

What if this is a solution for games that demand more precise controls, like an RTS and the games they list themselves on the announcement, but for regular games you keep using your 360/xbone controller?

mrgone

Against

Hopefully it turns out to be one of those "thank you for destroying my preconceptions" moments if/when I get to try one out, but the touchpads/button layout/lack of d-pad are all huge negatives in my currently non-blown mind

Grief.exe

I thought that both trackpads were two little speakers! lol

I don't like it!

Actually, you were right!

The Steam Controller is built around a new generation of super-precise haptic feedback, employing dual linear resonant actuators. These small, strong, weighted electro-magnets are attached to each of the dual trackpads. They are capable of delivering a wide range of force and vibration, allowing precise control over frequency, amplitude, and direction of movement.

This haptic capability provides a vital channel of information to the player - delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations, or any other events about which game designers want players to be aware. It is a higher-bandwidth haptic information channel than exists in any other consumer product that we know of. As a parlour trick they can even play audio waveforms and function as speakers.

frogg609

As soon as I saw it I thought "I wonder if this would work well with the Tron Arcade Game."

If it would work with MAME, and could make playing that a pleasurable experience, I'm all for it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The controller certainly looks peculiar but I'm looking forward to impressions. "Don't judge a book by its cover" and all that.

Interesting. The whole design of the controller is to be compatible with all PC games available.

The patent that did the rounds last year, though apparently no longer relevant, made that it rather obvious Valve was looking to ensure full compatibility.

def sim

i wouldn't have been too interested if it were just a variation of the xbox or ps4 controller

good on them for doing something different

Tecl0n

My intention to use the DS4 cause of potential touchpad use is now difficult. While it looks quite bad, i choose to #believe.

Hinomura

Mmmmh not very convinced by the controller...

How do you play games which need digital input like fighting games, platform, etc?

I'm trying to imagine playing Street Fighter with this, and I'm failing.

VVIS

Neo Member
I like the buttons on the back of the grip! I'll trust valve on the trackpads. And I love the dreamcast lcd, seriously. Not sure about the xyab buttons though...hmm

[O + O]

I GET IT

edit: I think I double posted or something.

Nabs

This is amazing. I'm so glad Valve went all out and tried something different. I'm excited to give this a try.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I knew I was going to love the reactions to the controller.

In almost all modern games the d-pad is relegated to an additional (and terrible) set of buttons to access inventory items, so I'm not too upset it's gone.

It's going to be hard waiting a year for this thing to be sold at retail.

This is amazing. I'm so glad Valve went all out and tried something different. I'm excited to give this a try.

Absolutely. This entire week has been nothing but people wanting Valve to become Microsoft.

They aren't competing with Microsoft: they're actually trying to find new and creative solutions to problems that have persisted for decades.

I'm intrigued for sure. It's a strange looking beast and i'll get one for sure as i'm a sucker for new input devices and i figure it will be useful for playing adventure games on my laptop. If i can get my old & gog games to work with it i'll be in bedtime hog heaven.

Yeah, i'm very interested in this.

edit:
This is meant as a KB/M replacement rather than a replacement for the standard pads i assume?

Whole genres of games that were previously only playable with a keyboard and mouse are now accessible from the sofa. RTS games. Casual, cursor-driven games. Strategy games. 4x space exploration games. A huge variety of indie games. Simulation titles. And of course, Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Given the lack of face buttons how would a standard FPS game work with it? They say they do but i can't see how it's suited to some games. Street Fighter for example.

Derrick01

Banned
Are they serious with that hideous thing? lol

Not a fan of those trackpads instead of sticks either. I won't be able to control anything with those.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WTF is that? Horrible button layout.

That's my initial reaction. And they say it's gonna work for older PC titles that don't have controller support natively. That and a focus on FPS "high-fidelity like a keyboard and mouse" make it interesting, but they need to fix the damn layout.

If I can't sprint forward+ADS+crouch all in a smooth action like I can with a PS3 controller in BF3, then it's a failure for FPS.

r3n4ud

Same here. I was hoping for something different and I have full trust in Valve. Let the naysayers cry all they want. Real excited to try this out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom