• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

baconcow

I guess alongside a PS3/Xbox 360 controller, it might be a suitable go-to controller for games that require a M/Kb. Curious about the price and release date of this.

Freezard

Man, it looks so cool and intuitive. I love the included screen. But I don't think it's supposed to replace my Xbox 360 controller, can't really see it being better at games like Tomb Raider or racing games. Not sure if I'll get this one, depends on price and how much they'll adapt the screen to Steam games.

You people need to fully read the controller page, it sounds pretty good with really high resolution trackpads.

The coolest part is how hackable it is.

Derrick01

Banned
You people need to fully read the controller page, it sounds pretty good with really high resolution trackpads.

The coolest part is how hackable it is.

I did. I still want to know how I'm expected to control stuff with those...things. It's going to make mouse and keyboard seem great for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What a tease this week was. They split one announcement into three to trick us into thinking we were getting more :/

The use of the symbols strongly implied three related announcements rather than three unique announcements.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I went and dug up my post from 9/22 about the controller:

The reason to be excited for a Valve controller is because of Valve's modus operandi. They don't enter an area just to dominate it (that's their secondary objective), but to innovate.

This influences almost every aspect of their company and it's what makes the latest Steambox threads so funny to read as a person who follows the company, as the threads basically devolve into people thinking Valve wants to become Microsoft.

They aren't releasing a controller because they hate that Microsoft has the default PC controller, but because there are legitimate problems with MS' product and they have the solutions.

Yeah, I'm hyped for it.

And boom:
SteamController.jpg

Pretty interesting. All this stuff this week has been interesting. Now some games running on this stuff, working better than what I already have, pleaaase.

I did. I still want to know how I'm expected to control stuff with those...things. It's going to make mouse and keyboard seem great for me.

It sounds like it might work for stuff other than just the standard things fps/tps/platformer.

I'm a kb/m person til I die though, but it's kinda interesting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow the controller announcement thread has gone full retard. I think it sounds amazing. Full haptic feedback, 16 buttons, most of which are reachable on the back of the pad? Hell yes.

nexen

So .. Valve doesn't play fighting games?

I don't much either, but .. hmm.
Want to try it.

edit: The haptic feedback on the thumbpads is making the immersion geek in me salivate.

edit edit: I play shmups a lot. Not sure I like this for shmups.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Whole genres of games that were previously only playable with a keyboard and mouse are now accessible from the sofa. RTS games. Casual, cursor-driven games. Strategy games. 4x space exploration games. A huge variety of indie games. Simulation titles. And of course, Euro Truck Simulator 2.
This is an outright lie, but I am glad that ETS2 was directly pimped by them for no reason but to do so.

Grief.exe

If I could make a design change

You get more buttons available, retain the ambidextrous set up, and don't have to remove your hand from the movement stick.

ibkUO4s5Hei3Za.png

fantomena

I think the designer(s) at Valve was drunk when they designed the controller. I like that they try to innovate the basic controller though.

Derrick01

Banned
You're shitting on something you haven't tried yet Derrick. Why would I put someone down who is excited to try it out before making any comments on it?

That's not what I said. I said would you say the same thing to all the people either in this thread or the main one who are already proclaiming it some fantastic and innovative device.

I have 2 Origin Keys left:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Space 3 -- MB-35513B2F5557F23B - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 1 entrants total.
Battlefield 3 -- MB-FFC9CA52280FA0CC - Taken by Spawn. 2 entrants total.

t1380304080z1.png

wutwutwut

So .. Valve doesn't play fighting games?

I don't much either, but .. hmm.
Want to try it.

edit: The haptic feedback on the thumbpads is making the immersion geek in me salivate.

edit edit: I play shmups a lot. Not sure I like this for shmups.
Luckily it's an open platform, so arcade sticks and such will work. No one sensible plays fighting games on a 360 controller either.

r3n4ud

That's not what I said. I said would you say the same thing to all the people either in this thread or the main one who are already proclaiming it some fantastic and innovative device.

Sure I would. No need to jump to conclusions on either side of the scale. All I'm saying is reserve your opinion until we try the device.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have hated every single touch surface device I have ever used. I have no idea how they have supposedly made this to provide gaming-level precision using your thumbs in a tiny circle, but I would be interested in trying it.

Turfster

Hah.
Jshackles, you might want to quickly sanity check isthereanydeal results before displaying them.
The Thief page results:
Lowest Price: 32, 17€ at GameFly
Historical Low: 0.01€ at GreenMan Gaming.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yes; one can customise them to one's heart's content.

I never bothered though as I couldn't be arsed.

It hurt enough when a vet I was fond of died as it was. I hate to think how it would have felt if I'd named them after some of my favourite SteamGAFers e.g. Argie Bargy. Guess who that would be for :p.
Oh I know, that's Zkylon :p

Earlier today a coworker decided to make a spreadsheet where him and me would write the games we've beaten (any platform counts). I'm glad I don't have to mention all of the ones I never finished, or I'd feel pretty bad, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom