• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

I have 2 Origin Keys left:

Thanks for the giveaway fellow GAFfer.

---

Regarding the controller the thing I'm most curious is how sensitive it can be. I'm actually interested in trying this and I can't judge something before knowing more about it and trying it for myself. I wonder how playing a fast paced game like a multiplayer FPS can differ from a strategy game (RTS).

r3n4ud

Regarding the controller the thing I'm most curious is how sensitive it can be. I'm actually interested in trying this and I can't judge something before knowing more about it and trying it for myself. I wonder how playing a fast paced game like a multiplayer FPS can differ from a strategy game (RTS).

This man get it!

I really can't see this controller being good for FPS's. Even though they are trackpads, they seem to have the same purpose as virtual buttons on mobile phones, which are horrible

nexen

Luckily it's an open platform, so arcade sticks and such will work. No one sensible plays fighting games on a 360 controller either.

I do. I don't own an arcade stick and I hate the thumbstick for fighters.
But I don't play against you online folk.

Oh I know, that's Zkylon :p

YES!
no

Earlier today a coworker decided to make a spreadsheet where him and me would write the games we've beaten (any platform counts). I'm glad I don't have to mention all of the ones I never finished, or I'd feel pretty bad, lol

Ditto.

I started Arkham Asylum yesterday and just played some more of it. I saw you praising it earlier but I'm pretty underwhelmed with it frankly :(. It's all just a bit....boring :/.

Oh and that controller is.....different. Colour me curious.

nexen

I really can't see this controller being good for FPS's. Even though they are trackpads, they seem to have the same purpose as virtual buttons on mobile phones, which are horrible

I would be very surprised if it didn't play well with FPS games, seeing as that is probably what it was primarily tested on.

Dota 2, Portal, CS:GO, TF2, and LFD2 are all probably excellent on it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am flummoxed. Excited and confused. Hundreds of "but how will I do <thing x>" questions running through my head. Very interested in trying it out. And I totally understand why this was its own announcement rather than a part of one of the others.

I would be very surprised if it didn't play well with FPS games, seeing as that is probably what it was primarily tested on.

Dota 2, Portal, CS:GO, TF2, and LFD2 are all probably excellent on it.

I can't imagine Valve would reveal this thing if they didn't like how it performed on their own games. But I'm still very skeptical of its Dota2 capability.

To be fair, jumping to conclusions is a great way to stay in shape!

sometimes....

21467_1214502216040_500_263.jpg

Luckily it's an open platform, so arcade sticks and such will work. No one sensible plays fighting games on a 360 controller either.
These are the most hilarious posts in that announcement topic.

"How am I going to play Street Fighter with this?! I'm sticking with my 360 controller."

Why are you playing fighting games with a 360 controller in the first place?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They really should release a video of the controller in action.
They really do need to show off what the haptics can do, there are already a ton of people who think it's just rumble.

jediyoshi

My main issues with virtual sticks on mobile devices is that they inherently obscure the screen and in general can't find a good setup to differentiate using the two joysticks with any other actions you can do.

The shooting itself would still be happening on a regular trigger, so it probably boils down to the fidelity of the trackpad. I'm curious how things like quickly turning your view would work if you, say, rapidly moved your thumb from the center to the side repeatedly (as opposed to continually holding a joystick to the side). Seeing as you're not waiting for a joystick to recenter, I imagine it'd work out like an actual mouse on a smaller mousepad.

Zeknurn

Spending a while thinking about using the controller, I think the precision of two trackpads feels like it's going to be very high and far better than what thumbsticks ever provided. FPS games might finally be good on a controller with this.

Cheddahz

Banned
Dear god, I missed an important letter while I was at the post office, so now I gotta drive back up there to get it...

XCOM, I'll be back soon

Tellaerin

I'm not too keen on the look of the Valve controller myself.

Specifically, it's the absence of physical thumbsticks or d-pad that bums me out. I know some of you guys are of the opinion that touch control's the future, but for the most part I've always seen it as a poor man's substitute for real physical input devices (see: laptop trackpads). The main type of physical feedback I want from a controller is a sensation of resistance from the sticks as I move them with my thumbs or hold them a certain distance from center. The haptic feedback they're describing sounds nice, but it's not the same thing.

I'll probably end up checking it out, and I can think of some games that I might want to use it for. I'm just kind of disappointed that it's not going to be the "one gamepad to rule them all" that would make me shelf my old Dual Shock for good, which is kind of what I was hoping for when this was announced.

ineveraskedforthis.gif

Spending a while thinking about using the controller, I think the precision of two trackpads feels like it's going to be very high and far better than what thumbsticks ever provided. FPS games might finally be good on a controller with this.

I think the right side might be ok but moving with the left seems iffy.

So far across the web what I'm seeing is that traditional PC gamer's think it's neat and traditional console gamer's hate it lol.

I'm done talking about a ....controller.... though, done I tell ye.

Thrakier

Is Street Fighter X Tekken worth it for someone who isn't too much into fighting games, but has a nostalgia boner for both series?

Parsnip

I never felt like I got good precision on anything with dualsticks so I'm very curious about this. I always have to resort to nudge the sticks in some way to adjust, if this can fix that for me in some way, I'm down.

But the lack of d-pad seems odd.

jediyoshi

Is Street Fighter X Tekken worth it for someone who isn't too much into fighting games, but has a nostalgia boner for both series?

Nostalgia boner confirmed, and especially if you're the type to not understand why it might not be good. I'd look up other ways of buying it though.

You'll have a year to play around with it and I heard it is pretty easy to get into
It has GFWL and Microsoft is ending operations of GFWL next year

You won't not be able to actually play the game when GFWL goes down. Just things tied to its online services will go out.

The_Monk

This man get it!

Well I don't judge people so in the same way I also don't judge electronics based on the looks, which is why I really want to try it.

But I guess I'm not normal, with the all the Steam Machine talks and now with the controller I can't help but keep thinking one thing: How much will it cost? Because that's my most concerning thing right now.

I am flummoxed. Excited and confused. Hundreds of "but how will I do <thing x>" questions running through my head. Very interested in trying it out. And I totally understand why this was its own announcement rather than a part of one of the others.

What does it means to be flummoxed?

Tizoc

The game is a more combo-friendly Street Fighter IV, but only get it if you have others to play with locally.
Whether Capcom decide to continue it's online after GFWL is unknown at this moment though...

Copons

I think that I've thought about it a sufficient amount of time, and... for me it's like a godlike controller.
Except for 2D beat'em up people. But thouse guys are supposed to have an arcade stick already so they better shut up and join the steamtroller party van!

Tellaerin

I think that I've thought about it a sufficient amount of time, and... for me it's like a godlike controller.
Except for 2D beat'em up people. But thouse guys are supposed to have an arcade stick already so they better shut up and join the steamtroller party van!

I'm big on oldschool-type stuff. 2D platformers, scrolling shooters, brawlers, fighting games, etc. That's a big part of why I'm disappointed by the lack of "traditional" sticks or d-pad. I don't think sliding my thumbs across a touch surface is going to give me the control I want in some of my favorite genres. :x

rookiejet

Holy cow, that controller's so wierd!

More credence to the theory of Valve's mobile goals. Now, you too can have a virtual d-pad. In your physical controller.

I can see it working great for mouse-only games. It can supplement regular gamepads for those unwilling to try it for classic gamepad games.

Copons

I'm big on oldschool-type stuff. 2D platformers, scrolling shooters, brawlers, fighting games, etc. That's a big part of why I'm disappointed by the lack of "traditional" sticks or d-pad. I don't think sliding my thumbs across a touch surface is going to give me the control I want in some of my favorite genres. :x

It is true that the lack of a d-pad may be limiting to "old-school" genres, but still...
I don't play beat'em up so I don't know really, but I found myself playing 2D platformers and other 2D games more and more with the left analogue than with the d-pad.

Of course, it's always a matter of getting the grip of a new control system, but for me (and with no modesty at all, also for the majority of players today)... this is exactly what I always wanted.

Tellaerin

Of course, it's always a matter of getting the grip of a new control system, but for me (and with no modesty at all, also for the majority of players today)... this is exactly what I always wanted.

Which part? (Haptics, touch control instead of sticks, some other aspect?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom