• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

After some more thought this is where I've settled, I think - There's really nothing inherently worse about trackpads than analog sticks aside from the lack of feedback and centering. The raised circular areas will help with that, and there won't be issues of drift and deadzone management, so that's a positive, Just have to remember to re-centre your fingers for games that are designed for analog sticks (I guess it could auto-centre when your finger was off the pad?) I'm interested in trying that out, especially with the greater fidelity to common sticks.

I'm still not entirely down with that button layout, but the built-into-Steam software customizability will help out with that. The touch screen in the middle won't fully replace a d-pad with the lack of tactile feedback (not really into looking at my controllers while I'm using them), but the customization seems more useful for the breadth of modern games.

As a jack of all trades thing, I've come around on the design, especially given what it's designed to do in the context it's to be used in. Curious about the price tag.

Scipius

FUD wins the day.

People should be discouraged from buying any GFWL game until we know exactly what is going to happen to each game after GFWL is gone. Anything else is scamming people out of their money; and that includes Valve putting Dark Souls up on sale, unless they know more than we do.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
DAT EURO TRUCK NAMEDROP

Yeah, seeing them mention ETS2 made me smile with delight, lol. Now I have to play it for a few hours tonight.

As for the controller, it's an interesting and innovative concept. Hopefully it works much better than it looks. The good news is that no one will be forced to use it, good old fashioned keyboards and mice will work just fine as always. If it works as well as they are claiming it does then color me very impressed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Couldn't the trackpads of the controller be programmed to accept quick taps to specific areas to emulate digital movement?

I could see them doing that for both sides, with the other trackpad emulating four buttons.

Goody

Oh, my goodness. Septerra Core. I remember getting this game for a tenner at K-Mart and it came with S.H.O.G.O. Mobile Armor Division. Instantly bought. I had so much fun with it.

Now if SHOGO could get put up on Steam.

Wok

Where can I order the controller?

Edit: The screen at the center reminds me of the Dreamcast controller.
u84VBdt.jpg

Eanan

I remember there were some G2 copies traded very cheap a while ago. Don't know where they came from.

Yup, I certainly remember the whole thread jumping at my neck!

If it matters to you Deques, I still have Grid 2 tied to my account and playable so seems to have been legit in my case. *touch wood*

Pachimari

Guys, I'm slowly planning to buy a Steam Machine and Steam Controller next year - is this the thread where I can find all of the sales going on on Steam?

Razorskin

----- ------
I want to get the controller and put it through a myriad of different games. Looks good to me but you got to try these things to know if it works.

jediyoshi

The Inner World, a supposedly very nice German p'n'c adventure, is now on Steam (and GOG): http://store.steampowered.com/app/251430 The price is great, was much more until now.

Both those trailers are great, could go for some adventuring right about now.

People should be discouraged from buying any GFWL game until we know exactly what is going to happen to each game after GFWL is gone. Anything else is scamming people out of their money; and that includes Valve putting Dark Souls up on sale, unless they know more than we do.

There are much simpler ways that don't involve flat out lying :p I like to think we can come to our own conclusions based on listed facts in worse case scenarios.

Whools

Just got home and still catching up on the news, what does steamGAF think of this controller? I think it looks odd. It'll be interesting to see how it performs, both technically and sales wise.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guys, I'm slowly planning to buy a Steam Machine and Steam Controller next year - is this the thread where I can find all of the sales going on on Steam?

Yes, outside of the seasonal sales threads that happen.

Eanan

I don't listen to someone who killed me :p (Joke)

Where did you read about it?

Here is the trade offer

I can't find any scam information about this guy. But the account is one month old, kinda suspicious
The guy who trade me Grid 2 was turkish also...

Perhaps there was a promotion/scam over there for lots of Grid 2 keys?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
YES!
no

Ditto.

I started Arkham Asylum yesterday and just played some more of it. I saw you praising it earlier but I'm pretty underwhelmed with it frankly :(. It's all just a bit....boring :/.

Oh and that controller is.....different. Colour me curious.
Sad to hear you're not enjoying the game. When I first tried the demo at a friend's, a few years ago, I also thought it was boring. It looked like any other run-of-the-mill brawler, and I was never a fan of superheroes. But when I finally got it on Steam and played it early this year, I fell in love with it.

I think the fighting mechanics are great, and I really liked the metroidvania progression style.

Deques

I got scammed a couple of weeks ago and I don't want the same thing to happen to someone here

I also got scammed... three times. Not gonna get scammed a fourth time. Now he wants to do it outside the subreddit. Which makes it even more suspicious

The guy who trade me Grid 2 was turkish also...

Perhaps there was a promotion/scam over there for lots of Grid 2 keys?

I would like to know if there was some leakage of keys recently. I haven't heard anything about GRID2

Dolor

Couldn't the trackpads of the controller be programmed to accept quick taps to specific areas to emulate digital movement?

I could see them doing that for both sides, with the other trackpad emulating four buttons.

Yeah, I agree. I just had this thought too. That would make a ton of games immediately compatible with alternate control schemes evolving over time.

Zeknurn

I think the right side might be ok but moving with the left seems iffy.

I imagine it will know where your finger is on the trackpad and by holding your finger 10% away from the center it will move in that direction at 10% of max movement speed.

I do hope it works well because I'm ready for the reign of uncomfortable thumbsticks to be over.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There are much simpler ways that don't involve flat out lying :p I like to think we can come to our own conclusions based on listed facts in worse case scenarios.

Here are the facts:

1. GFWL is being sunsetted
2. When GFWL servers are turned off, the impact on a per-game basis will vary wildly; it might involve discontinuing multiplayer matchmaking, it might involve discontinuing the ability to activate new installs. It might involve save file death. It might involve being unable to login. Each game will differ.
3. Regardless of which functions die, GFWL games will be pulled from sale if functionality is crippled. As a result, any hypothetical community will dwindle inexorably, as with any service that is closed to new entrants.
4. Individuals judge the value of a game in part due to its future playability, and knowledge about a game being shut down later can but does not necessarily impact purchase decisions.
5. Dark Souls has not currently been announced to be being patched.
6. Dark Souls II is releasing in 2014.

Here are the relatively safe assumptions:

1. Some GFWL games will not be patched.
2. Until a developer says they will patch a game, there is no logical reason to believe that the game has a better-than-even likelihood of being patched.
3. The sunset date is on or around July 1, 2014 (Support: AoE:O page; confirmation from devs that sunsetting is occurring, Halo 2 multiplayer situation)

If an individual combines this information and decides that they'd rather hold off on Dark Souls, I don't view that as FUD.

Deques

Here are the facts:

1. GFWL is being sunsetted
2. When GFWL servers are turned off, the impact on a per-game basis will vary wildly; it might involve discontinuing multiplayer matchmaking, it might involve discontinuing the ability to activate new installs. It might involve save file death. It might involve being unable to login. Each game will differ.
3. Regardless of which functions die, GFWL games will be pulled from sale if functionality is crippled. As a result, any hypothetical community will dwindle inexorably, as with any service that is closed to new entrants.
4. Individuals judge the value of a game in part due to its future playability, and knowledge about a game being shut down later can but does not necessarily impact purchase decisions.
5. Dark Souls has not currently been announced to be being patched.
6. Dark Souls II is releasing.

Here are the relatively safe assumptions:

1. Some GFWL games will not be patched.
2. Until a developer says they will patch a game, there is no logical reason to believe that the game has a better-than-even likelihood of being patched.
3. The sunset date is on or around July 1, 2014 (Support: AoE:O page; confirmation from devs that sunsetting is occurring, Halo 2 multiplayer situation)

I am hoping that the developers will patch out GFWL from their games.

nexen

I have some extra keys, but I'm not sure if they are used or not because I am woefully disorganized. Is there any interest in a modbot run for them? You may get a free game, you may get an error message... such fun!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only thing I want from Magic 2014 is a sale

It'll go on sale in a year when 2015 launches. And then the online will be dead at that point. :(

I'm still waiting for 09 and 13 to be put on a price-drop so I can grab those.

Deques

I have some extra keys, but I'm not sure if they are used or not because I am woefully disorganized. Is there any interest in a modbot run for them? You may get a free game, you may get an error message... such fun!

You can create a giveaway with ModBot. Just give a warning that the keys can used. Everyone here are forgiving you if you warn us

mrgone

Better than a chance of getting Bad Rats!

jediyoshi

If an individual combines this information and decides that they'd rather hold off on Dark Souls, I don't view that as FUD.

The game in question was Street Fighter X Tekken.

The DLC is tied to Steam so that's ostensibly fine. What would be at question is purchasing and activating, which would go kaputz after GFWL goes offline. Assuming someone was interested in picking it up within the current sale though, there's still a window of time to get to it.

Judging by the actual exchange that occurred, I can't get behind someone equivocating the game whole hog not being available anymore with a game's online features/multiplayer getting the shaft. It's rather FUD-y.

nexen

You can create a giveaway with ModBot. Just give a warning that the keys can used. Everyone here are forgiving you if you warn us

Better than a chance of getting Bad Rats!
Ok, incoming then.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

//***************SOME OF THESE KEYS MAY NO LONGER BE VALID!!!!***************

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Beep -- MB-525C46DAFC7BD0D5 - Taken by KenOD
Serious Sam HD The Second Encounter -- MB-A5B49D122912A175 - Taken by gwynplaine
Dungeonland -- MB-4DC4DE11339FF373 - Taken by Melted77
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-E6DE369390C9C4BE - Taken by Mengy
Serious Sam HD The First Encounter -- MB-5423ADDDFA16C453 - Taken by rookiejet

Sanic

I can't seem to get the Rising Storm free weekend download to start.

Clicking on the link within the client and on steampowered.com does nothing. I've done a restart of my computer and client, and made sure the actual link Valve has up is correct. Any other tips? Riptide works fine.

Tellaerin

Oh, my goodness. Septerra Core. I remember getting this game for a tenner at K-Mart and it came with S.H.O.G.O. Mobile Armor Division. Instantly bought. I had so much fun with it.

Now if SHOGO could get put up on Steam.

I still need to finish Septerra Core. I remember seeing previews of it and thinking it would be awesome, but I never managed to find it in stores. Years later, it showed up on GOG and I bought it instantly. I played a few hours into it, and enjoyed what I played quite a bit, but got distracted with some other things (mostly Fallout 3, IIRC) and never got around to picking it up again.

Shogo is still a favorite of mine, even though I'll be the first to admit the visuals haven't aged well at all. The gameplay was a lot of fun, and the story and voice acting really captured that sort of mid-to-late-80's, Robotech-esque anime dub feel for me. I'd still love to see a sequel, though I've pretty much given up hope. : /

Scipius

Judging by the actual exchange that occurred, I can't get behind someone equivocating the game whole hog not being available anymore with a game's online features/multiplayer getting the shaft. It's rather FUD-y.

You're a publisher's dream customer; you don't mind if core features are simply disabled a short while after you've bought a game? What if those features are actually what the customer is primarily interested in; they shouldn't be warned because it's "FUD-y"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom