• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wow, the steam controller looks pretty bad for non-traditional PC games. Like I'm not gonna use it for Dark Souls, DMC, Castlevania, etc. But for shooters and maybe RTSs it looks like it would be fantastic.
Dark Souls would actually probably work fine. The majority of the game's action buttons are shoulder buttons anyway.

kVJZmHy.gif

It just wants to love.

It's already have all my love. So was the controller the only revelation?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The thing I would be worried about is the game is not too great with Mouse and Keyboard controls, which would be what the controller is emulating.
I took the wording of their page to mean it can emulate a keyboard and mouse, not that it is always doing so. Maybe it can appear as a normal controller for other games?

The_Monk

Just a reminder that there's only 4 Hours left from this giveaway fellow GAFfers:

Click here

If it's okay, I will post this again when there's only 1 Hour remaining. There are more than 50 Keys, hope they can find a good home and for those that will get them, I hope some impressions later on since I only own like 5 of those games. But it was me or many GAFfers, so I made the right decision.

mrgone

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what can be done with it. Two clickable touchpads backed by haptic feedback, buttons in seemingly ergonomic positions, bumpers and triggers, and a small touchscreen. Seems like it'll be really good for controlling mouse-heavy games, though I'd like to see how it fares with other games.

Oh, and Chris Remo had some hands-on impressions on Twitter:

"Yes, it makes it feel like you're actually operating a real physically mechanical device"

Okay, that's pretty goddamned cool

jediyoshi

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Proteus -- MB-6FA480834437D001
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-0EB25F3609344324

EDIT: THEY TAKEN. Enjoy Turfster/Firehead.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Call of Duty Series is getting a bunch of sales in Brazil right now, both on Nuuvem and on PontoFrio (a Brick and Mortar store that also has a very active online arm), which also provides Digital Distributed games.

They also have different prices, with some games being cheaper on Nuuvem and others on PontoFrio...

I wonder why.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm perhaps too early into it then. At the moment I feel like I'm being lead by the nose through a long, linear tutorial. Gamers complained about that with Twilight Princess but this feels like that complaint to the max. I've just followed a cigar smell to a scene with the Joker's girlfriend. Perhaps once it allows me to backtrack and open up previously inaccessible areas I'll enjoy it more. I might just restart it on Normal though. Does Bats still talk to himself telling the player what to do on that difficulty level? It's getting on my nerves on Easy.

Don't get me wrong; I can see why it's so well regarded. It's clearly a very well put together and competent game. It's just not grabbing me though. I find it perversely amusing that a game i.e. FTL that was made with a tiny fraction of the resources could captivate me for so many hours yet this one has not. I'd rather read the message boxes in FTL than watch Bats talk to an NPC for a couple of minutes :/. Oh well. Doesn't help that I think Batman is a bit of a nob I suppose. I hope the Joker gets to kill him at the end of the game :D.

EDIT - oh and the unlockables in this game is giving me horrible flashbacks to old Rare collectathons :(.
I don't remember much of the beginning, to be quite honest. I went in without much expectations after the demo, so I was surprised when I found myself enjoying it that much. The beginning area is a tutorial, yes, but once you start acquiring some equipment it definitely gets funnier (or is it "more fun" in this context? Or should I say "more entertaining" instead?).

If you are still not enjoying it once the tutorial is over, I'd suggest you skip it then, since the basic gameplay won't get much different by that point (except for the new items, of course). I hope the game manages to hook you in, because it has what I consider some of my favorite sections in any game and it'd be a shame to miss them.

The unlockables (and Riddler's challenge) were nice too, if a little frustrating at times. There are 9 or so that I couldn't complete, and I don't feel like going back to the game just to get them. If anything, I'd go back for a replay somewhere down the line, once GFWL is but a bad memory.

Kammie

I had read this post earlier, but since I didn't reply immediately I totally forgot about it. While reading the last paragraph, I was constantly thinking "Yes. Exactly. That's right".

I switched between mouse and Xbox pad, but my best times were made with mouse. I found it very precise, and much tighter than the keyboard (and more comfortable to play than with the pad, since I used only one hand). If you choose to play that way, be aware that on the game over screen, clicking with both buttons at once restarts the level, so you don't even have to hover your left hand over the spacebar (something that I found out way after beating Hyper Hexagonest, and only because a friend discovered it by chance when playing it on my PC one day).

The best thing to do would be to try every control method, and see which one feels better to you.
Ha! Last thing I expected was a mouse recommendation.

I just tried it, and it's not bad. My hand is in a more fixed and relaxed position that on the keyboard, so it may work. I'll play around and see what I prefer on the higher speeds. Thanks.

Edit: Hmm... it works fantastic save for one problem: if you press one button while holding the other, the arrow locks up and won't move at all. Unlike with a controller, where it'll register a button if the other is held down and actually move you. I'll have to practice but it's giving me real issues on this fast pattern right now. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
man the controller announcement made this whole thing underwhelming as fuck

I was hoping they would at least include a single thing for people that don't want a steambox :/

dhonk

man the controller announcement made this whole thing underwhelming as fuck

I was hoping they would at least include a single thing for people that don't want a steambox :/

they kind of made it clear it was for the living room to begin with, not sure why people expected anything more

Dario ff

Banned
I hope the controller supports Xinput as well easily. The only thing needed to go from a 360 button layout to this is just binding two face buttons to the front (A/B or X/Y, depending on which one you prefer and right/left handed), and two face buttons on the back.

In fact, this is very interesting because a lot of TPS games bind running to a face button. Having the ability to press it on the back means you can move, run, AND control the camera at the same time. A lot of these games compensate with automatic camera movement when running instead, which is less efficient IMO.

D-Pad is nowhere near as important IMO. On games that use menus with the D-pad, you have the touchpad on the middle for it. On games that don't and use movement to both, you can just bind digital-like movement to the left pad and call it a day. Hopefully the haptics will be good enough to make this feel right.

I would post in the other thread but it's going way too fast at this point.

Momentary

Banned
Can't wait to see the Steam Machines they have set up with other companies. If they dont' have the power I want then I'll build my own. I'll have a laptop for spread sheets and a Steam Machine for dem games!

Turfster

All these comments about using the controller to play fightmans...
Honest question, but doesn't everyone that plays them seriously have a separate stick?

Also, thanks jediyoshi for Proteus!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All these comments about using the controller to play fightmans...
Honest question, but doesn't everyone that plays them seriously have a separate stick?

Hey dude, there's people that play First Person Shooters (like Call of Duty) on Controllers and there's people that play Third Person Shooters (Like GTA and Saints Row) on Keyboard+Mouse.

I don't even know anymore.

zkylon

zkylewd
You can use the controller on your PC...
even if I like it, it looks like an expensive replacement for something I already have

also not having a d-pad just sucks, if I gotta have to plug my already shitty 360 controller to play old games it'd be a shame

they kind of made it clear it was for the living room to begin with, not sure why people expected anything more
well it's valve, I wasn't expecting half life 3 but they basically made a bunch of vague announcements of stuff that was already well known. not even a video of the controller or steamOS, and stretched out through a week like it was worth hyping

Tellaerin

All these questions about using the controller to play fightmans.

It depends on what you call "seriously". I enjoy the genre, and I used to play in the arcades back when arcades were still a thing. Nowadays I mostly play fighting games on consoles or the PSP, and a gamepad's more than adequate for me. I don't get enough out of playing with an arcade stick to justify dropping cash on one, and honestly, a gamepad's more comfortable for me for extended use anyway.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
even if I like it, it looks like an expensive replacement for something I already have

also not having a d-pad just sucks, if I gotta have to plug my already shitty 360 controller to play old games it'd be a shame

well it's valve, I wasn't expecting half life 3 but they basically made a bunch of vague announcements of stuff that was already well known. not even a video of the controller or steamOS, and stretched out through a week like it was worth hyping

Why does it have to be a replacement? It's a great alternative for RTS games, where you need a bigger precision on selecting units. Can't it be a new controller for different games? I didn't use it, I don't know how precise the touchpads are, but maybe you could use this controller for some games and your regular 360/xbone for another?

Also, why it has to be expensive? Can't it be 60 bucks like the 360 controller? Maybe 99 bucks? We don't know the price.

Again, Valve itself said, on the first day, that the 3 announcements would be related to SteamOS and mostly regarding hardware. I don't know why you people though any different. And if you want a new game announcement, we all know that the game Valve is mostly working on right now is Left4Dead3. So I don't get any of the disappointment because "oh boo hoo it's not Half Life 3".

Kammie

Im just not sure how one would use the Steam controller for fighting games.
I'm not sure how you can use a normal controller for fighting games either! My 360 controller makes it impossible.

But it's just like with a console, you'll have different controllers for different occasions.

I don't remember much of the beginning, to be quite honest. I went in without much expectations after the demo, so I was surprised when I found myself enjoying it that much. The beginning area is a tutorial, yes, but once you start acquiring some equipment it definitely gets funnier (or is it "more fun" in this context? Or should I say "more entertaining" instead?).

If you are still not enjoying it once the tutorial is over, I'd suggest you skip it then, since the basic gameplay won't get much different by that point (except for the new items, of course). I hope the game manages to hook you in, because it has what I consider some of my favorite sections in any game and it'd be a shame to miss them.

The unlockables (and Riddler's challenge) were nice too, if a little frustrating at times. There are 9 or so that I couldn't complete, and I don't feel like going back to the game just to get them. If anything, I'd go back for a replay somewhere down the line, once GFWL is but a bad memory.

EDIT - I should say in its favour though that it's a lovely looking game.

Thanks :). I'll stick with it and/or re-start on Normal until the end of the 'tutorial' then. Hopefully it will have clicked with me by then :).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! Last thing I expected was a mouse recommendation.

I just tried it, and it's not bad. My hand is in a more fixed and relaxed position that on the keyboard, so it may work. I'll play around and see what I prefer on the higher speeds. Thanks.

Edit: Hmm... it works fantastic save for one problem: if you press one button while holding the other, the arrow locks up and won't move at all. Unlike with a controller, where it'll register a button if the other is held down and actually move you. I'll have to practice but it's giving me real issues on this fast pattern right now. :(
Oh yes, I forgot about that little detail, sorry! I got used to that, so that's not a problem for me, but I can totally see how it could be for someone who'd rather start moving in the opposite direction without having to let go of the previous button.

For some strange reason, the same happens when you use the triggers on the 360 pad. The bumpers allow what you described, but the triggers don't.

EDIT - I should say in its favour though that it's a lovely looking game.

Thanks :). I'll stick with it and/or re-start on Normal until the end of the 'tutorial' then. Hopefully it will have clicked with me by then :).
Well, today I was talking with some friends about that. Both AA and Tomb Raider are very pretty games, and in both I spent a great part of the time playing in black and white, thanks to Detective mode/Survival instinct.

I'm not sure how anyone uses a 360 controller for fighting games.

I know the 360 controller is awful for fighting games, I personally have a fighting stick, however, when I was first getting into fighting games I wasn't using a stick.(And I played on PS but I digress) The controller wont be usable for anyone that may try their first fighting game on Steam Machine and I doubt someone would buy a stick for their first try of a fighting game. Just my opinion.

zkylon

zkylewd
Why does it have to be a replacement? It's a great alternative for RTS games, where you need a bigger precision on selecting units. Can't it be a new controller for different games? I didn't use it, I don't know how precise the touchpads are, but maybe you could use this controller for some games and your regular 360/xbone for another?

Also, why it has to be expensive? Can't it be 60 bucks like the 360 controller? Maybe 99 bucks? We don't know the price.

Again, Valve itself said, on the first day, that the 3 announcements would be related to SteamOS and mostly regarding hardware. I don't know why you people though any different. And if you want a new game announcement, we all know that the game Valve is mostly working on right now is Left4Dead3. So I don't get any of the disappointment because "oh boo hoo it's not Half Life 3".
? I literally said I wasn't expect hl3 dude, wtf

they announced the steambox and the steam controller which were things that were already known
they didn't have pictures of specifics of anything except the controller
no real dates, aside from "soon" and "2014"
they made us wait a whole week for it and in the end it had no real surprises

for me, that's a shitty announcement

edit: also I doubt anyone's gonna play rts from their couch no matter how precise your trackpadballthingie

I know the 360 controller is awful for fighting games, I personally have a fighting stick, however, when I was first getting into fighting games I wasn't using a stick.(And I played on PS but I digress) The controller wont be usable for anyone that may try their first fighting game on Steam Machine and I doubt someone would buy a stick for their first try of a fighting game. Just my opinion.

Ok then they'll get a fightpad first.

$15-20 on Amazon.

Hinomura

I spend a lot of time with games which require digital input (pad), and obviously I don't use a X360 gamepad, but I use a Dual Shock 3 via XInput wrapper.

No problems at all playing Super Street Fighter 4 AE with a DS3.

Gbraga

I'm really excited for The Inner World, thinking about buying, but the question is: Should I be? Are those guys well known? I don't know much about point'n'click adventures

drizzle

Axel Hertz
? I literally said I wasn't expect hl3 dude, wtf

they announced the steambox and the steam controller which were things that were already known
they didn't have pictures of specifics of anything except the controller
no real dates, aside from "soon" and "2014"
they made us wait a whole week for it and in the end it had no real surprises

for me, that's a shitty announcement

edit: also I doubt anyone's gonna play rts from their couch no matter how precise your trackpadballthingie

Change Half Life 3 for Portal 3 on that phrase and you get the same idea of what I was trying to say.

There wouldn't be a game announcement, we all knew this was Hardware Related.
We all knew this was some Linux thing, because Gabe told us that there would be Linux AND hardware announcements coming "next month".

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit about a Streaming Box for my TV: My TV lives next to my PC, which is already connected with a DVI->HDMI cable. Just because it doesn't benefit ME doesn't mean it's a shitty announcement. Now we know, what before we only speculated.

I don't want to change your opinion, I just want to understand what did you expect from a Hardware running linux Announcement other than a hardware running linux. And a Controller.

Twinduct

So Valve's Owl looking controller ... First I hated but if those two trackpads works in the same way my OG iPod did, then I might be ok with it.

Did i miss any witty one liners or gifs with this thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom