• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's $45 for a game with uPlay in it.

OSOx1p4.gif

I thought Uplay wasn't considered that awful anymore since ubisoft removed its DRM last year.

zkylon

zkylewd
Change Half Life 3 for Portal 3 on that phrase and you get the same idea of what I was trying to say.

There wouldn't be a game announcement, we all knew this was Hardware Related.
We all knew this was some Linux thing, because Gabe told us that there would be Linux AND hardware announcements coming "next month".

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit about a Streaming Box for my TV: My TV lives next to my PC, which is already connected with a DVI->HDMI cable. Just because it doesn't benefit ME doesn't mean it's a shitty announcement. Now we know, what before we only speculated.

I don't want to change your opinion, I just want to understand what did you expect from a Hardware running linux Announcement other than a hardware running linux. And a Controller.
well they announced steamOS which is most definitely software, they could've easily announced some more :/

I guess what I mind is both the content and the format, they made us wait a week in hype for something we already knew and they didn't even bothered to actually show much of it.

my fault for eating up the hype? I'm already tired of valve hyping and underdelivering, I wish I could say I was done with them

Say is there any way to ignore the "Steam needs to convert the game to a new format" thing? It's 11pm, I wanted to try out Shogun 2 with my new CPU and GPU and just as I wanted to play it Steam gave me this message and now I have to wait two hours for 12GB to download... :(

Nabs

I thought Uplay wasn't considered that awful anymore since ubisoft removed its DRM last year.

Uplay is still something that stands between me and comfy couch gaming. It won't close once I'm done with a game since wallpapers and game skins are so important.

Grief.exe

Uplay is still considered awful. Service still goes down quite consistently and you cannot access or activate your games on the service.

well they announced steamOS which is most definitely software, they could've easily announced some more :/

I guess what I mind is both the content and the format, they made us wait a week in hype for something we already knew and they didn't even bothered to actually show much of it.

my fault for eating up the hype? I'm already tired of valve hyping and underdelivering, I wish I could say I was done with them

Not many people outside of the Steam diehard knew what was specifically going to happen.

We all could basically recite, verbatim, exactly what would happen this week. But most people don't read up on exactly what Valve is doing all the time.

Ouch, that's the worst. Hopefully in a post SteamOS world, the desktop client will once and for all get a hide games feature. lol
;_;

TBH, I only really wanted the achievements for AA. If it wasn't for all the GFWL crap, I'd probably just forget about AC GOTY. Can't believe I fell for that twice.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I don't want to dwell much into the subject nor annoy or insult you with my disbelief but, to me, it sounds like you'd be amazed if the announcement was 3 weeks of random pictures of venting grills and blurred pictures in psicodelic trailers that didn't tell anything about the actual device, pretty much like the PS3 and XBONE announcements were.

Valve gave us the complete different announcement: Here's what it does, here's how we'll do it, it's computer with computer parts in it.

It's not some praised magical piece of hardware. It's mostly an idea announcement than an actual product. Because that product is still coming.

Sorry if i sound like a jerk, but I hate those types of hype as fuck announcements. The way I see it, Valve announced facts of what they're doing. Not some magical future looking box.

I do agree that the 3 day countdown and split announcements were a little too much, and that was most certainly to create hype and buzz around the announcements. Maybe that's the part you're not content with? it was completely unnecessary the way I see it, but I believe everybody would focus on the Controller as it's the most tangible part of the announcement, but I also believe it's the less important part for Valve.

Turfster

Say is there any way to ignore the "Steam needs to convert the game to a new format" thing? It's 11pm, I wanted to try out Shogun 2 with my new CPU and GPU and just as I wanted to play it Steam gave me this message and now I have to wait two hours for 12GB to download... :(

No. Also, it's not a 12 gig download, normally. Most of that will probably be copying of files to new locations/packaging them differently.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The game in question was Street Fighter X Tekken.

The DLC is tied to Steam so that's ostensibly fine. What would be at question is purchasing and activating, which would go kaputz after GFWL goes offline. Assuming someone was interested in picking it up within the current sale though, there's still a window of time to get to it.

Judging by the actual exchange that occurred, I can't get behind someone equivocating the game whole hog not being available anymore with a game's online features/multiplayer getting the shaft. It's rather FUD-y.

Except if you're buying a fighter for PC, you primarily are probably going to play it online! And since the online is Games for Windows Live: Why the fuck would you buy a title, even on sale, which will have that feature shutdown.

Again: The game isn't terrible, but since we dunno Capcom's plans for it, WHY would anyone buy it right now? Consumer buying tip: SELL! SELL! SELL!

It isn't FUD to say this.

The_Monk

You are now one out of 142,624 eligible beta candidates.

Good Luck!

Thanks Valve, I'm going to need that luck! I would love to be one these lucky winners, it would be so good. So good.

jediyoshi

Except if you're buying a fighter for PC, you primarily are probably going to play it online! And since the online is Games for Windows Live: Why the fuck would you buy a title, even on sale, which will have that feature shutdown.

Again: The game isn't terrible, but since we dunno Capcom's plans for it, WHY would anyone buy it right now? Consumer buying tip: SELL! SELL! SELL!

Are you primarily interested in its online? Especially if you're already not into fighters and are more interested in its nostalgia aspects? Sounds like something someone looking to buy it would be able to factor in for them self and decide on their own.

I wasn't even arguing the relevance of online whatsoever, just that there's a distinction between online play and the availability of playing a game you've purchased. If you're out there conflating the two, it's not a concise message, it's FUD.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

It's not like Street Fighter vs Tekken gameplay code is any good to begin with. Game is terrible online. You're not missing much.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not many people outside of the Steam diehard knew what was specifically going to happen.

We all could basically recite, verbatim, exactly what would happen this week. But most people don't read up on exactly what Valve is doing all the time.
well then just announce it all at once instead of wasting our times?

which non-steam diehard fan is gonna care about the controller this much or get hyped for a week?

I don't want to dwell much into the subject nor annoy or insult you with my disbelief but, to me, it sounds like you'd be amazed if the announcement was 3 weeks of random pictures of venting grills and blurred pictures in psicodelic trailers that didn't tell anything about the actual device, pretty much like the PS3 and XBONE announcements were.

Valve gave us the complete different announcement: Here's what it does, here's how we'll do it, it's computer with computer parts in it.

It's not some praised magical piece of hardware. It's mostly an idea announcement than an actual product. Because that product is still coming.

Sorry if i sound like a jerk, but I hate those types of hype as fuck announcements. The way I see it, Valve announced facts of what they're doing. Not some magical future looking box.

I do agree that the 3 day countdown and split announcements were a little too much, and that was most certainly to create hype and buzz around the announcements. Maybe that's the part you're not content with? it was completely unnecessary the way I see it, but I believe everybody would focus on the Controller as it's the most tangible part of the announcement, but I also believe it's the less important part for Valve.
like I said, it's both content and format, if you're gonna give me a spreadsheet announcement don't hype me for a week with a big ass universe-imploding picture like you're going to melt my brains off. also don't announce things that were already widely-known

I don't think it's shallow to want to have a look at the thing instead of being told how it is.

like I said, half of it is my own fault for buying into the hype when I should've learned after not enjoying pretty much anything valve's done since l4d1

Well, today I was talking with some friends about that. Both AA and Tomb Raider are very pretty games, and in both I spent a great part of the time playing in black and white, thanks to Detective mode/Survival instinct.

Yes; that's one aspect of the game that's been irritating me so far :/.

Good Luck!

Thanks Valve, I'm going to need that luck! I would love to be one these lucky winners, it would be so good. So good.

If there's one person that deserves to get a beta test machine it's you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not like Street Fighter vs Tekken gameplay code is any good to begin with. Game is terrible online. You're not missing much.

Okay, then that brings up consumer buying tip: Don't even look at it. It's not worth it.

If you can't play local, you shouldn't buy it on sale. And even then with Games for Windows shutting down, you may not be able to reinstall it in the future if it uses GfWL for DRM authentication and isn't patched.

So don't buy it until we know what Capcom's plans are with regards to GfWL's shutdown.

Makes logical sense and certainly isn't FUD to say, yeah?

If you're out there conflating the two, it's not a concise message, it's FUD.

Telling someone to not buy a title because we don't know what it's future plans are/is on borrowed time isn't "FUD." Please learn what FUD is if you're going to continue to spew that line.

Cheddahz

Banned
So don't buy it until we know what Capcom's plans are with regards to GfWL's shutdown.
They probably aren't going to patch it out, considering that Ultra Street Fighter IV is being made with Steamworks as it's DRM and Capcom will just make it so that is the only SF game you can actually play online

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Okay, then that brings up consumer buying tip: Don't even look at it. It's not worth it.

If you can't play local, you shouldn't buy it on sale. And even then with Games for Windows shutting down, you may not be able to reinstall it in the future if it uses GfWL for DRM authentication and isn't patched.

Makes logical sense and certainly isn't FUD to say, yeah?

Hey, maybe I want to buy it even though I already know all of that? Maybe I want to have it in my Steam Library for when/if a patch comes out, as opposed to get a community-made patch 2 years from now but oh wait I can't play it because I didn't buy it for 7 dollars back when I could.

I don't think buying it is a terrible idea. Just know the facts when you're buying it.

derExperte

I'm really excited for The Inner World, thinking about buying, but the question is: Should I be? Are those guys well known? I don't know much about point'n'click adventures

German reviewers liked it in general, main negative point was afair the length but for the lower price on Steam/GOG I don't think that's a problem. What I don't know is how good the translation is.

r3n4ud

Good Luck!

Sir, if I happen to be lucky enough to be chosen, I will mail you the Steambox without hesitation :)

jediyoshi

Telling someone to not buy a title because we don't know what it's future plans are/is on borrowed time isn't "FUD." Please learn what FUD is if you're going to continue to spew that line.

Wow, you are grossly overstating the exchange I was talking about to begin with. If you'd like to reacclimate yourself to things that have actually been said, feel free.

I'm not sure where the disconnect here is. Someone said something that isn't true and in the process caused confusion. Unless there's a dissenting opinion, we can probably assume that when the gfwl kill switch is flipped, the game will react as if gfwl was disconnected from the internet as it does already. From there, there's a pretty obvious baseline to conclude to that doesn't include not being able to play the game.

The_Monk

If there's one person that deserves to get a beta test machine it's you.

Monk gets selected from the test group, jshackles gets one as part of his signing bonus when Valve hires him. Make it happen, Gabe.

Sir, if I happen to be lucky enough to be chosen, I will mail you the Steambox without hesitation :)

You guys are far too kind, what a pleasure to be part of this Community indeed. But we all know that these odds are slim to none.

I've been actually checking a site who have pre-builds of PC's (it's called aquapc.com for those who live in here) and I'll just keep staring at those builds wishing I could just click "order". If that site gets some money by getting clicks they are getting about 3 clicks each day for me!

Guys, sfxt online on PC has pretty much always been dead. It could use konami's metal gear online service and it wouldn't really matter.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man... If half of the people who are saying the Steam controller won't work for fighting games actually bought Skullgirls or King of Fighters...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What's the secret world like? 50 percent off sounds okay.. Is it still active?

BruteUA

I got a 90% off coupon for this, it's not really my kind of game. If it's your kind of game, enjoy:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Faerie Solitaire -- MB-EBBBDCB82553B375 - Taken by Spawn. 12 entrants total.

t1380331441z1.png

(This is the actual game, not the coupon for it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom