• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The game in question was Street Fighter X Tekken.

The DLC is tied to Steam so that's ostensibly fine. What would be at question is purchasing and activating, which would go kaputz after GFWL goes offline. Assuming someone was interested in picking it up within the current sale though, there's still a window of time to get to it.

Judging by the actual exchange that occurred, I can't get behind someone equivocating the game whole hog not being available anymore with a game's online features/multiplayer getting the shaft. It's rather FUD-y.

You don't think online/multiplayer components are central to buying a fighting game?

Copons

Which part? (Haptics, touch control instead of sticks, some other aspect?)

I'm sorry for the late answer.

I think concave touchpads will be optimal. My main concern with the old patent mockup was the trackball. I've never been comfortable with a trackball at all, but still I thought it would be a good choice for a controller replacement for mouse. But concave touchpads with three "states" (I think) and a prominent edge around to "block" the thumbs... it seems the best way to go.

I'm actually a bit concerned for the buttons (ABXY) placement, mainly for those games that requires to push multiple buttons at once (like platformers to run and jump together), but seeing how they did for Portal 2, I think it isn't really an issue at all.

I am flummoxed. Excited and confused. Hundreds of "but how will I do <thing x>" questions running through my head. Very interested in trying it out. And I totally understand why this was its own announcement rather than a part of one of the others.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what can be done with it. Two clickable touchpads backed by haptic feedback, buttons in seemingly ergonomic positions, bumpers and triggers, and a small touchscreen. Seems like it'll be really good for controlling mouse-heavy games, though I'd like to see how it fares with other games.

Oh, and Chris Remo had some hands-on impressions on Twitter:
7TOyV1g.png

rookiejet

Is it frowned upon to take two games from a giveaway? I'd like to have the two Serious Sam games from nexen's giveaway. If you don't mind that is, nexen :)

Edit: Thanks for Serious Sam The First, nexen

jediyoshi

You're a publisher's dream customer; you don't mind if core features are simply disabled a short while after you've bought a game? What if those features are actually what the customer is primarily interested in; they shouldn't be warned because it's "FUD-y"?

Cool, that's not what I said at all. But while we're at it, extrapolate to me how this gets across the actual implications of GFWL going down for this specific game

You'll have a year to play around with it and I heard it is pretty easy to get into
It has GFWL and Microsoft is ending operations of GFWL next year
-
You don't think online/multiplayer components are central to buying a fighting game?

If you're prefacing the question with being "someone who isn't too much into fighting games", than the online multiplayer prospects of it a year out I would imagine aren't too high. But then again, that would be up to the individual if they were given information properly, rather than being told the game in its entirety would be unavailable.

Eets Munchies here

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Eets Munchies -- MB-D37C14A7C27E1989 - Taken by Sportbilly

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Eets Munchies was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

webrunner

so apparently nobody who has not used this device can have ANY sort of idea what it's like because it's something entirely new that nobody's done before?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
so apparently nobody who has not used this device can have ANY sort of idea what it's like because it's something entirely new that nobody's done before?

Too... many... double... negatives... can't... suss... out... what... you... want... from... me...

Tellaerin

I'm sorry for the late answer.

I think concave touchpads will be optimal. My main concern with the old patent mockup was the trackball. I've never been comfortable with a trackball at all, but still I thought it would be a good choice for a controller replacement for mouse. But concave touchpads with three "states" (I think) and a prominent edge around to "block" the thumbs... it seems the best way to go.

I'm actually a bit concerned for the buttons (ABXY) placement, mainly for those games that requires to push multiple buttons at once (like platformers to run and jump together), but seeing how they did for Portal 2, I think it isn't really an issue at all.

Personally, I think I'd've been more excited if they had gone with a mini-trackball. (I'm glad I didn't know about that earlier, or I'd've been really disappointed by this reveal!) The reason I say this is because my "dream" controller pretty much involves taking an analog gamepad and replacing the second analog stick with a mini-trackball. It's something I've been wishing someone would do for years. Ah well, no point in getting bummed about it now, I guess...

I'll eventually give it a shot and see how it feels, I guess. One positive I can think of is that you won't have to worry about the sticks wearing out over time, which means these controllers should have a pretty long operational life.

morningbus

Can someone explain to me how the Steam controller is ugly?

I keep seeing people with Nathan Drake avatars saying it like it's a fact.

DaBoss

I keep seeing people with Nathan Drake avatars saying it like it's a fact.

Whether something looks nice depends on the person.

But if someone says it is unusable because it is ugly, then that person is being ridiculous.

Kammie

Deliverance.

Finally managed to complete Super Hexagon. I honestly think it’s one of the hardest games to beat out of everything I’ve played. Hell my 100% Super Meat Boy playthrough seems like a walk in the park compared to this. I thoroughly recommend it to everyone though, it is a great game and the more you play it the more you will get addicted to it.

One tip I will give though is that if you are playing with a controller like I did (and I really don’t see how anyone could play this successfully with a keyboard) then use the shoulder buttons as it suggests. I started using a d-pad for the first 4 levels as I was using my DS3. But that died so I had to start using a 360 controller and switched to shoulder buttons as the d-pad on the 360 pad is shit. It is so much more precise and found it much easier to play once I had adapted.

If you find it hard to progress just keep playing. You get better the more you play. The best thing to do is just memorise the gauntlets so you know what to do as soon as they appear on screen as you really don't have time to think about your movement in later levels.

super-hexagon-complete.gif
Your post was lost in the shuffle of the controller news, so I just want to say congrats!

I've played this a bit with the keyboard and was getting ok, but I dropped it for a few months and came back to it last night. I decided to try the controller, and it seems as though using the shoulder buttons gives me slightly more precision (it feels like a tap on the keyboard moves the arrow more than a tap on the button). I think I may try to convert and play with the controller.

I know Rionaa beat the game also. If you (or anyone else who beat this game) read this, what control setup did you use?

morningbus

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, brah.

I mean, I get that. I've been into enough threads in off-topic that devolve into post-pictures-of-hot-women threads to know people are very particular with their fetishes and demand nothing short of 100% uniformity to that fetish.

But, like, how? I at least see people say Kate Upton doesn't have an ass. No one is saying what's wrong with the aesthetics of the controller.

The controller looks weird but as long as it feels good in hand I'm ok, I'll have to test this before buying. And I might end up getting another controller for everything that's platformers/fighting games.

nexen

Cross-posting before Nabs.

The game was in the first batch of Steam Greenlight.

Contrast is great.

Buddy of mine worked on it and I've been waiting for it to release FOREVER. He's a friend-of-a-steamgaffer, so that makes him sort of one of us, right?

jediyoshi

If you're basing your notions on something like how its trackpads will work based on trackpads you've used before, it's a weirder proposition. I have to imagine some people are looking at it and just imagining something with the touch functionality of their smartphone shaped in two circles strapped onto a controller.

kVJZmHy.gif

It just wants to love.

Sad to hear you're not enjoying the game. When I first tried the demo at a friend's, a few years ago, I also thought it was boring. It looked like any other run-of-the-mill brawler, and I was never a fan of superheroes. But when I finally got it on Steam and played it early this year, I fell in love with it.

I think the fighting mechanics are great, and I really liked the metroidvania progression style.

I think I'm perhaps too early into it then. At the moment I feel like I'm being lead by the nose through a long, linear tutorial. Gamers complained about that with Twilight Princess but this feels like that complaint to the max. I've just followed a cigar smell to a scene with the Joker's girlfriend. Perhaps once it allows me to backtrack and open up previously inaccessible areas I'll enjoy it more. I might just restart it on Normal though. Does Bats still talk to himself telling the player what to do on that difficulty level? It's getting on my nerves on Easy.

Don't get me wrong; I can see why it's so well regarded. It's clearly a very well put together and competent game. It's just not grabbing me though. I find it perversely amusing that a game i.e. FTL that was made with a tiny fraction of the resources could captivate me for so many hours yet this one has not. I'd rather read the message boxes in FTL than watch Bats talk to an NPC for a couple of minutes :/. Oh well. Doesn't help that I think Batman is a bit of a nob I suppose. I hope the Joker gets to kill him at the end of the game :D.

EDIT - oh and the unlockables in this game is giving me horrible flashbacks to old Rare collectathons :(.

I'm finally home, which means it is time for some more XCOM

I've always liked you :).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you're basing your notions on something like how its trackpads will work based on trackpads you've used before, it's a weirder proposition. I have to imagine some people are looking at it and just imagining something with the touch functionality of their smartphone shaped in two circles strapped onto a controller.

kVJZmHy.gif

It just wants to love.

You mock it now, but wait until Audio Surf 2 actually does just that.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Actually those being able to serve as speakers makes me wish someone would make a Enemy Zero like game. Enemy Zero was a survival horror game where the enemies were invisible and you could only figure out where they were by sound.

nexen

Is it frowned upon to take two games from a giveaway? I'd like to have the two Serious Sam games from nexen's giveaway. If you don't mind that is, nexen :)

Edit: Thanks for Serious Sam The First, nexen

missed this question, sorry.
I don't care. Didn't look like anyone was going to grab it anyways. Hope you enjoy!

Scipius

Cool, that's not what I said at all. But while we're at it, extrapolate to me how this gets across the actual implications of GFWL going down for this specific game

Oh, I know, you think Cheddahz was telling him the whole game would be unavailable, but the fact is we don't know exactly what will happen when GFWL goes down, but we can be sure it will result in the removal of functionality (depending on what a game uses GFWL for).

Rather than accusing him of FUD (which is really caused by MS's refusal to clarify exactly what their plans are), why not point out what the potential buyer would be missing out on? I doubt it will change his mind though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have bought over 20 or 30 games today, I've actually lost count.

This week was really worrisome for me.

I don't know how many bundles I bought, but at least one of them I already had all the games and didn't notice.

Maybe I should do something about it. I believe I'm averaging 2-3 bundles a week.

jediyoshi

Oh, I know, you think Cheddahz was telling him the whole game would be unavailable, but the fact is we don't know exactly what will happen when GFWL goes down, but we can be sure it will result in the removal of functionality (depending on what a game uses GFWL for).

Those two statements don't connect, you're not actually clarifying your own interpretation of what he's saying to be contrary to anything I'm saying.

And that's not a fact. I can disconnect my internet right now and access the game just fine, sans its online features to be expected.

Rather than accusing him of FUD (which is really caused by MS's refusal to clarify exactly what their plans are), why not point out what the potential buyer would be missing out on? I doubt it will change his mind though.

Because people are more interested in interpreting what I'm saying as if I were defending GFWL or something.

This week was really worrisome for me.

I don't know how many bundles I bought, but at least one of them I already had all the games and didn't notice.

Maybe I should do something about it. I believe I'm averaging 2-3 bundles a week.

Yeah, I didn't really even know what games bundlestars indie jam had but after they had the 50% pricedrop (its currently at that discount too) I just bought it, can't be bad value if theres ten games and its like under 3 bucks or something. On the other hand I probably won't be playing them very soon
ever
but maybe my family and friends can use them in the future under that family share thing. Idk, I just stick to buying, not thinking about it :p

Wow, the steam controller looks pretty bad for non-traditional PC games. Like I'm not gonna use it for Dark Souls, DMC, Castlevania, etc. But for shooters and maybe RTSs it looks like it would be fantastic.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Your post was lost in the shuffle of the controller news, so I just want to say congrats!

I've played this a bit with the keyboard and was getting ok, but I dropped it for a few months and came back to it last night. I decided to try the controller, and it seems as though using the shoulder buttons gives me slightly more precision (it feels like a tap on the keyboard moves the arrow more than a tap on the button). I think I may try to convert and play with the controller.

I know Rionaa beat the game also. If you (or anyone else who beat this game) read this, what control setup did you use?
I had read this post earlier, but since I didn't reply immediately I totally forgot about it. While reading the last paragraph, I was constantly thinking "Yes. Exactly. That's right".

I switched between mouse and Xbox pad, but my best times were made with mouse. I found it very precise, and much tighter than the keyboard (and more comfortable to play than with the pad, since I used only one hand). If you choose to play that way, be aware that on the game over screen, clicking with both buttons at once restarts the level, so you don't even have to hover your left hand over the spacebar (something that I found out way after beating Hyper Hexagonest, and only because a friend discovered it by chance when playing it on my PC one day).

The best thing to do would be to try every control method, and see which one feels better to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom