• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
A) Silliness and B) discussions about the steam controller always coming back to "but fightmans" for some reason.
Basically no one understands the Steam controller because they don't actually read anything about it. The see it and react, like some kind of base beast clawing away in the dark.

Eventually, the creature sinks its teeth into what it thinks is sustenance: "this controler will be terrible for fighting games, and, therefore, shouldn't exist."

Mind you, they think they've wrapped their maw around life giving food -- mana from heaven -- but, no, they're mistaken. They quickly find they are chewing on their own cud because as the blind beasts of burden they are they've been shitting wherever they stand.
Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanations, guys.

I must admit, I'm intrigued about the controller. Can't imagine how it will feel until I've tried it myself, which I hope happens in the not so distant future.

I know you wrote that with your tongue firmly in cheek, but I haven't heard anything that makes me think this controller will be as good as a traditional gamepad for fighting games, shmups, 2d platformers and the like. That doesn't mean it's worthless and shouldn't exist, but it does mean that for people who are really into those genres (like me!), it's not going to make all other controllers obsolete overnight.

There seems to be this weird mentality at work when it comes to gaming enthusiasts. Everything's an either/or proposition. Either your console/handheld/whatever is the best, or it's worthless shit. Two products can't have different strengths and coexist in the same marketplace. The same thing seems to be at work with the Steam controller. The people who like it are already proclaiming it the best controller ever made, sight unseen, and are making funeral plans for traditional controllers. The people who don't like it are declaring it useless, worthless trash. I think both sides are starting to take things to a ridiculous extreme at this point.
I don't think anyone did this, at least not in this thread. So far, all the sensible opinions I've read stated that the controller will shine on games that are best played with K&M, while other games may still be better suited for regular gamepads.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanations, guys.

I must admit, I'm intrigued about the controller. Can't imagine how it will feel until I've tried it myself, which I hope happens in the not so distant future.

I don't think anyone did this, at least not in this thread. So far, all the sensible opinions I've read stated that the controller will shine on games that are best played with K&M, while other games may still be better suited for regular gamepads.
that doesnt make sense to make it that limited. the type of people that play in the living room arent going to play rts there.

Exuro

That was my first thought. Audio Technica probably stopped production and the third parties are jacking up the prices.

Here is the new model, has significantly better aesthetics than the original AD700 if you ask me. More expensive though, let me know if this is over your price range Exuro.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I might just say fuck it and order those if they're worth the price and have a good warranty.

Tellaerin

That's because SteamGAF is bestGAF. I've seriously come to believe that since I've started hanging out in these threads. But as far as the wider world goes (including the controller reveal thread here), I think that mentality's in full effect right now. I know Morningbus was exaggerating for effect (and I said as much), but his tongue-in-cheek rant reminded me uncomfortably of that extremist tendency some people have to dismiss any criticisms of what they like out of hand.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I need to stay away from these GabePad threads before I get banned.

Too late D: At least you won a game from Monk before biting the ban bullet.

Outside the Steam thread is a scary, scary place, guys. Keep your heads down.

EDIT: I think the gamepad looks like an abomination, but I'm not going to piss on anyone's parade in the thread for it. People are excited for it and I don't want to pointlessly moan. I have plenty of controllers.

Khronico

2dd.jpg

Just beat Vagullion in Ys 1. One of the most intense boss fights I've had in a while

Yeah I'll admit I have no idea how it will work but I'm very interested. I do assume it will be amazing for Dota at least, which does open up a lot of possibilities.

Depending on price of course.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some ModBot notes:
I slightly changed the way ModBot does draws. Previous to now MB did 2 regular draws and 1 raffle draw as needed every 45 seconds. Now ModBot does a maximum of 3 draws every 45 seconds as needed. This reflects that raffles are becoming more popular. It will make mega-giveaways slightly faster, although not so fast as to remove the mystery of watching the draws slowly pull and ratcheting up some tension.

I am going to slightly change how ModBot calculates NOLURKERS over the next few days. As of right now ModBot live-calculates the NOLURKERS stats every single time it goes to do a draw. After the change, it'll be once every few hours. There are a few reasons: 1) This will help minimize the number of people who spam to enter a SPECIFIC raffle or draw and hopefully helps make the NOLURKERS rule a little more holisti rather than artificial. 2) This will be much more efficient for mega-giveaway type situations. Less bandwidth, faster processing time. 3) It'll cause fewer requests to be sent during times where GAF is under heavy load which should help ModBot's reliability during periods where GAF itself is less reliable.

I will be adding a rule to allow for games to be given away specifically to junior members. Not sure if anyone else other than me feels like that's a good idea, but I think periodic junior-focused giveaways might incentivize new people to check out this thread.

Edit: One other thing. If you are giving away a Desura or Origin key, please make a note of it by including the word "desura" or "origin" in the title of the game. So instead of giving away 10 Origin keys unlabeled, actually put the title in ModBot as "The Saboteur Origin" or "Battlefield 3 Origin" or "My First Gam So God Y Valve Not Greenlit Me? Desura". In the future keys marked in this way will get the logos for the appropriate service show up next to the game name. Easier for redeemers to dodge a bullet, and it'll help with the mass junk giveaways if the keys are never claimed.

Cody_D165

Banned
Some ModBot notes:
I slightly changed the way ModBot does draws. Previous to now MB did 2 regular draws and 1 raffle draw as needed every 45 seconds. Now ModBot does a maximum of 3 draws every 45 seconds as needed. This reflects that raffles are becoming more popular. It will make mega-giveaways slightly faster, although not so fast as to remove the mystery of watching the draws slowly pull and ratcheting up some tension.

I am going to slightly change how ModBot calculates NOLURKERS over the next few days. As of right now ModBot live-calculates the NOLURKERS stats every single time it goes to do a draw. After the change, it'll be once every few hours. There are a few reasons: 1) This will help minimize the number of people who spam to enter a SPECIFIC raffle or draw and hopefully helps make the NOLURKERS rule a little more holisti rather than artificial. 2) This will be much more efficient for mega-giveaway type situations. Less bandwidth, faster processing time. 3) It'll cause fewer requests to be sent during times where GAF is under heavy load which should help ModBot's reliability during periods where GAF itself is less reliable.

I will be adding a rule to allow for games to be given away specifically to junior members. Not sure if anyone else other than me feels like that's a good idea, but I think periodic junior-focused giveaways might incentivize new people to check out this thread.

Good stuff.

frogg609

I'm not finding where the trading card marketplace is in the client. Where should I look? (silly question I know, but I'm feeling like I'm missing something simple).

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Some ModBot notes:

Edit: One other thing. If you are giving away a Desura or Origin key, please make a note of it by including the word "desura" or "origin" in the title of the game. So instead of giving away 10 Origin keys unlabeled, actually put the title in ModBot as "The Saboteur Origin" or "Battlefield 3 Origin" or "My First Gam So God Y Valve Not Greenlit Me? Desura". In the future keys marked in this way will get the logos for the appropriate service show up next to the game name. Easier for redeemers to dodge a bullet, and it'll help with the mass junk giveaways if the keys are never claimed.

birdman-o.gif

nice

Cth

Some ModBot notes:

Possible suggestion?

How difficult would it be to code Modbot so that it can check someone's win percentage?

IE: Let's say I enter 100 giveaways, but won once. Someone else entered 100 giveaways and won ten times.

Not sure if this would open a can of worms, but maybe a weighted raffle to give those who regularly lose a better chance at winning? In doing so, their percentage rises and newbies continue to have an edge in raffles where the giver chooses to give them a better chance.

Can of worms being if the code is off, potentially throwing things out of whack. The safety valve being that it'd have to be manually selected by the giver when setting up the raffle.

EDIT: As always thanks for continuing to work on Modbot!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I thought about implementing some sort of rule that would prioritize people with fewer wins for raffles. I have to look into whether SQLite supports sub-queries being used in an ORDER BY clause.

Not possible to calculate win percentage; past PMs are deleted because otherwise ModBot would hit the PM limit, and past entries are deleted once a draw is complete for DB efficiency reasons (also in case ModBot were to crash during the post edit phase, it would prevent someone else from winning a raffle--only the winning entry from the first draw would be retained).

Not sure I would ever use it, but more options can't hurt. Thanks for the continued work.

If possible I would like to see something like:

QUESTION=Who is da best?
ANSWER=Stumpokapow

So that raffles or general competitions can be mixed up a bit more.

Dec

2dd.jpg

Just beat Vagullion in Ys 1. One of the most intense boss fights I've had in a while

Nice, glad you were able to do it.

Every other boss is pretty fun but don't lose hope when you get to the end. The last boss is based a lot around luck, just gotta keep trying until shit works out for you.

I just didn't beat La-Mulana.

ambivalence3pkqf.gif

I got to the final boss and died a few times. I then watched it on youtube and decided that I didn't really need to do it (I have a habit of not bothering to beat final bosses).

Really, really strange game. I had to play with a walkthrough beside me, I still didn't understand any of it and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am now looking forward to the sequel, whilst also never wanting to touch it. Very strange and unique emotion after "finishing" a game I happily spent 21 hours on.

I just didn't beat La-Mulana.

I got to the final boss and died a few times. I then watched it on youtube and decided that I didn't really need to do it (I have a habit of not bothering to beat final bosses).

Really, really strange game. I had to play with a walkthrough beside me, I still didn't understand any of it and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am now looking forward to the sequel, whilst also never wanting to touch it. Very strange and unique emotion after "finishing" a game I happily spent 20 hours on.

I picked it up during last week's sale and I dunno. I haven't spent nearly as much time as you but I find it "strange" as well. I fought the first boss and couldn't really find a good spot to hit him with the whip. Then I bought the pistol and killed him with 3 shots.
I'll give it another shot later.

Mainly though I spent most of my time last week with Gunpoint which is just plain awesome. Only criticism is that I wish there was some extra bonus levels. I know there's fan made levels through the editor but I want more.

I thought Inner World was the new Amanita Design game. Nope :(

Escape goat is pretty fun. Reminded me of Shuggy, so that's good.

Finally beat Rayman Origins.

2 games beaten tonight that's like a new record.

Mainly though I spent most of my time last week with Gunpoint which is just plain awesome. Only criticism is that I wish there was some extra bonus levels. I know there's fan made levels through the editor but I want more.

Yeah a bigger and better Gunpoint 2 would be amazing with the mechanics. I guess like they say, you should always want to leave the people wanting more *stares pointedly at Ubisoft*

Grief.exe

Nice gif!

Thanks, its the first one I ever made.

Yeah a bigger and better Gunpoint 2 would be amazing with the mechanics. I guess like they say, you should always want to leave the people wanting more *stares pointedly at Ubisoft*

lol Todd just changed his avatar!

image.php

I never say this but

my body is ready as fuck

As more impressions come in, I actually find myself getting more and more hyped.

Clawww

I'm so happy about these impressions. That post someone made in the other thread, about Valve just crushing the controller scene in one move...looks like it's fucking coming true.

Copons

Kotaku article, with Team Meat's Refenes talking about using it with 2D platformers should be interesting for negative people.

I was able to play Meat Boy the way Meat Boy can be played on an advanced level (and I’m rusty at it). The right circle button was the jump button and we had both Triggers mapped to the Run button just like a regular Xbox 360 controller. We also had the Run button mapped to the back trigger buttons I mentioned before that can be pressed with your fingers on the back of the pad. This worked great but did lead to a bit of hand cramping. I think this is due more to the way you use the run button in Meat Boy and not the design of the controller or the buttons.

Spelunky requires Whip, Jump, Bomb, and Rope buttons. We configured the controller to play like an Xbox controller. So the left circle pad was once again used for the directional buttons, and the right circle pad was used as A, B, X, Y buttons in the orientation that you find on an Xbox Controller....I played through Spelunky and the controller worked great. As I was playing I was describing to the engineers the twitch movements that go into Spelunky... The Steam controller handled this just fine.

Copons

Btw has someone ever mentioned something about lower front buttons?
Those three that look like a spacebar and both sides alt keys?

What are they supposed to do?

I would suggest against it since the floor animation looks so cool. One suggestion is to get an Ubuntu distro and throw it on the laptop as it may run better on Steam for Linux.

I've already played Bastion on console and my desktop runs it without a hitch. Thanks for the advice though.

Also, Super Sanctum TD finally got released for OSX. I've been waiting for this so I could play it on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom