• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Serious question: Which of these should I start with, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas?

There's no reason to play Fallout 3. New Vegas uses many of the same base mechanics and ideas but does it with proper RPG elements and great writing that branches pretty well depending on what faction you piss off. It's the true Fallout 3.

Thorgal

Maybe I wished it had a different approach fellow GAFfer. Take the movie Aliens for example. There's a ship like Dead Space and there's enemies but there are only one kind of enemies (the Aliens). In Dead Space you have enemies that are huge, enemies that
never die
, enemies that explode and so on. Variety is good, sure, but I like those types of horror games where the enemy is a pretty simple "thing" and you are a simple survivor.

I understand what you are saying . but as you said Variety is good and this game would become a little stale if there where only slashers on the ship.

Tellaerin

Serious question: Which of these should I start with, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas?

Depending on what you want from an RPG, playing New Vegas first might make FO3 feel like a step backward, but it's pretty damn entertaining in its own right. So I'd say play 3 first, and then tackle NV. The main story arc in 3's not a world beater (though it's not bad, either), but the atmosphere as you wander through the Capital Wasteland, exploring the shattered ruins of the old world and piecing together how various things went down, really made the game for me.

Knurek

Take off those rose-tinted glasses, guys.
The story arc for 3 is completely ridiculous, one of the worst Bethesda "stories".

I don't find anything particularly wrong with a good game with a bad story - if I want a good story, I'll read a book.
How about game mechanics between two games? And most importantly, since I heard some Gamebryo horror stories, how about stability/unfixable bugs/savegame corruption?

denx

Thanks for the recommendations people, leaning towards Dust and Batman. Gotta decide now.

And just btw, I just saw the Fringe season 2 finale. The ending was predictable, but I still shat bricks, holy shit.

The_Monk

F.E.A.R.? My man! Don't tempt me with another playthrough, I really shouldn't do that.

Not at all, you have a beautiful Backlog to clean I wouldn't dare to suggest another playthrough right now. ;)

I understand what you are saying . but as you said Variety is good and this game would become a little stale if there where only slashers on the ship.

I guess you are right. After thinking a bit, I think I said that because I miss those games that are focused on survival instead of a lot of killing. I gave the example of the first Aliens movies because I want a really good Aliens game. I want to be low on ammo and keep my radar with that classic "beep beep beep" you see in the movies while I'm moving slowly to avoid it or to take it by surprise. And I'm talking about one enemy. The Aliens game seems like there's so much to kill. It's not what I want.

If I could run DayZ I would be all over it. I hope they plan of releasing a standalone of that game and I remember them (they?) showing interest in a possible PS4 version.

Storm360

Finally giving Family sharing a shot, liking what I see so far, although oddly I can still see (and even play) some games with serial keys.

The_Monk

In order for me to get the soundtrack of some games do I need to install it and only then get the soundtrack that's in some sort of folder from the game fellow GAFfers?

RuinKaos

In order for me to get the soundtrack of some games do I need to install it and only then get the soundtrack that's in some sort of folder from the game fellow GAFfers?

For binding of issac it is in the install folder which for me is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the binding of isaac

So check there except replace binding of isaac with your game name.

Vecks

Zack Zero (currently in this bundle) is a surprisingly fun and pretty platformer.

I enjoyed it as well. The platforming isn't very tight, but the gameplay is rather flexible through the use of the different powers. Also, it's nice to play a relaxing, straight forward platformer every now and then (although I haven't played far enough to know if it gets harder, but I doubt it).

Tenrius

Sadly this game felt way too outdated when I tried it 2 months ago. I died less than 30 minutes in, and I didn't understand the UI nor the controls.

This seems to be hardly possible. What didn't you understand in particular? It's pretty basic. As for dying, well, that's how it's supposed to be, especially if you didn't go straight to the first town.

The_Monk

For binding of issac it is in the install folder which for me is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the binding of isaac

So check there except replace binding of isaac with your game name.

Ok, so it seems I need to have the game installed in order to have the soundtrack in there. I kinda wish there was a way to see which games that I own have the complete soundtrack included.

The_Monk has amazing horror games taste. That will be all.

Thank you fellow GAFfer! If I could, I would stream most of my games and the horror genre is always fun to watch.

Tenrius

I launched Fallout 1 in order to play around with the UI, only to discover that my new laptop stretches 4:3 resolutions to 16:9 for some unknown reason (tested it with other games). What could be causing it? The laptop has Windows 8 and an Nvidia card, I thought some setting in the Nvidia control panel was causing it, but it's nowhere to be found.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This seems to be hardly possible. What didn't you understand in particular? It's pretty basic. As for dying, well, that's how it's supposed to be, especially if you didn't go straight to the first town.
I found no way of looking at the control bindings, and it took me way too long to discover how to equip a weapon. Those rats took a lot of my health, and then I exited the vault area and got ambushed by a couple of bad guys, who killed me very fast.

I just tried The Polynomial, and I don't get it either. It's like a first person version of Geometry Wars, inside a Windows Media Player visualization. No idea of what to do or where to go, I just fired upon the enemies marked in red.

Joe Molotov

Just putting this up here:

EWfUZDl.png

Phinor

from everything I've read I'm sorta happy I quit after S1

I did watch half the first episode of S2 but couldn't finish it and then never got back to it

Two schools of thought. Those who prefer Season 1 over seasons 2-5, and those who thought first season was average at best and the series became good during the second season.

I belong to the first group which (afaik) also happens to be the minority. Second season went downhill very quickly and the series never recovered. Well, in my opinion anyway.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Not yet fellow GAFfer. Paranormal and Haunted Memories are both on my radar, however. Have you played it?

Paranormal, yes. Haunted Memories, no. Paranormal is pretty damn spooky, in the right setting. Dark, headphones on, alone in front of my monitor. I actually found it more frightening than Outlast, which is killed by its break-neck pacing.

diaspora

I downgraded GTA4 to 1.0.4.0 to use iCEnhancer, and now the -nomemrestrict: to get the game to work on my videocard (over 1GB VRAM) no longer works. Which means it's impossible for me to play the game at a resolution higher than 800x600. Commandline.txt trick doesn't work either. Fuck this game, and fuck Rockstar with their shitty coding and RGSC malware.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The video has a rather annoying beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound, sadly.
The endless scrolling looks great, though.

Yeah sorry about that - I did one of the Youtube sound overlays and... it didn't work. Should be fixed up in a minute or two though.

EDIT: Fixed!

Tenrius

I launched Fallout 1 in order to play around with the UI, only to discover that my new laptop stretches 4:3 resolutions to 16:9 for some unknown reason (tested it with other games). What could be causing it? The laptop has Windows 8 and an Nvidia card, I thought some setting in the Nvidia control panel was causing it, but it's nowhere to be found.

Sort of solved it, seems to be a Windows 8 thing. There is a checkbox in the "compatibility" tab (found in the "properties" of .exe files) that enables pillarboxing, entitled "disable display scaling on high dpi settings". The only downside is that I'll have to manually set it for every game with a 4:3 resolution. Wonder if there is a way to enable it universally.

The_Monk

Paranormal, yes. Haunted Memories, no. Paranormal is pretty damn spooky, in the right setting. Dark, headphones on, alone in front of my monitor. I actually found it more frightening than Outlast, which is killed by its break-neck pacing.

That is great to hear, thanks for sharing.

I'm waiting on Outlast since it will be part of the PS+ on PS4 (which I have it pre-ordered and will be getting it for 20€, can't say no for that price). But I'm curious for those two. It seems Haunted Memories will be Five Episodes and the first one will be free? Either way, the game was delayed to 4th October and I still don't see the price for the game, but I won't be able to get it day one so it's okay.

Colin.

Oh dear. Tried to play Giana Sisters with the 360 controller, and it has me stuck using the dpad (which is god awful) and it doesn't seem to let me bind movement to the left thumbstick. Help me

Edit: False alarm, started it up again and all is now well. Not sure what happened the first time. Thank goodness no 360 dpad will be needed.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sort of solved it, seems to be a Windows 8 thing. There is a checkbox in the "compatibility" tab (found in the "properties" of .exe files) that enables pillarboxing, entitled "disable display scaling on high dpi settings". The only downside is that I'll have to manually set it for every game with a 4:3 resolution. Wonder if there is a way to enable it universally.

You have a laptop, so god fucking knows what's happening there when it comes to drivers.

Also, I don't have experience in Windows 8 (I bought it, but I can;'t be bothered to reformat my machine). However, some video drivers have a option that makes you decide who is going to do the stretching of a resolution: The GPU or the Monitor and if it'll keep the aspect ratio or not.

To make things simpler, let's say you have a game that outputs in 640x480. Your monitor is 1920x1080. There's a Scaling option on some drivers (I don't know what it's called on AMD GPUs, but it was scaling on Nvidia ones) that allows you to set who is going to scale that content up and how.

In your case, as you're using a laptop, i'd say leave the scaling to the GPU and, if possible, keep the aspect ratio.

Now, that windows setting thing you talked about - I don't know if that's a Windows 8 thing or what, but try to find an overall option on the GPU level.

Tenrius

You have a laptop, so god fucking knows what's happening there when it comes to drivers.

Also, I don't have experience in Windows 8 (I bought it, but I can;'t be bothered to reformat my machine). However, some video drivers have a option that makes you decide who is going to do the stretching of a resolution: The GPU or the Monitor and if it'll keep the aspect ratio or not.

To make things simpler, let's say you have a game that outputs in 640x480. Your monitor is 1920x1080. There's a Scaling option on some drivers (I don't know what it's called on AMD GPUs, but it was scaling on Nvidia ones) that allows you to set who is going to scale that content up and how.

In your case, as you're using a laptop, i'd say leave the scaling to the GPU and, if possible, keep the aspect ratio.

Now, that windows setting thing you talked about - I don't know if that's a Windows 8 thing or what, but try to find an overall option on the GPU level.

Well, I understand all that, but I wasn't able to locate such a setting in my Nvidia and Intel (since it uses Optimus) software or, rather, I was able to find it, but it appeared to be in order. I'm quite happy with the solution I found anyway — you have to use different compatibility modes for a lot of 4:3 games as is, so it's just an extra checkbox to go through.

BiggNife

SFxT has a 10 card set but you can only get two drops. Does anyone else find that kinda weird? In my experience a game with that many cards usually has five drops. As it is I have no desire to complete the set now if I can only get two without spending money or getting lucky with a booster pack.

Crayons

Banned
SFxT has a 10 card set but you can only get two drops. Does anyone else find that kinda weird? In my experience a game with that many cards usually has five drops. As it is I have no desire to complete the set now if I can only get two without spending money or getting lucky with a booster pack.

Capcom wants you to trade more so they get more money.

Melpontro

Are you sure about that? Mine says I have 5 drops.
i8noqs4ZUxLOm.png

RuinKaos

I am showing 5 drops on my page.

Maybe try contacting steam support to see if they can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom