• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauX

Again, I'm updating the Humble Weekly Sale: Kalypso Giveaway with no restrictions!

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tropico 3 Sine Mora SkyDrift and Anna -- MB-227D0CFCE97CB3CE - Taken by kadab. 20 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Tropico 3 Sine Mora SkyDrift and Anna was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1380392109z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Went to EuroGamer Expo yesterday...

Overall if you wanted a nextgen consoles for visuals then your are going to be severely disappointed. If you have a PC that can play games on high or above. At this moment consoles are playing a catch-up game, even games like Killzone had visual problems such as terrible rain effects and slowdown in MP when things became too congested. Xbox One had other issues like no AA in BF4 Multiplayer although it was playing in a 64 multiplayer match at 60fps.

Oculus Rift is amazing, but the two problems I had were the low resolution screens inside the devices which hindered the experince, considering your eyes are so close to the optical device and screen you really do need a high density screen. I'm not even sure HD will suffice maybe 4k/8k. But for immersion it's fantastic, definitely a new way to play games

Wolfenstein, plays like a mixture of Bioshsock/COD, it's great as in the demo I was getting flanked by the enemy AI who went behind me as I decided to attack them from above, Seems like a very solid shooter.

This was the Minecraft tournament...

Dark Souls II was a lot easier to play with the regen mode., Devs are adding a more simpilifed combat mode as well.
I'm kidding.

Doom piano!

This was the playstation queue after 30mins...

Xbox queue

The new playstion controller is almost perfect. The triggers are miles better and tons better than the bumpers, not on par with 460 triggers imo, it's also very light and the trackpad is going to be great for PC gaming if it ever gets drivers.

If you liked the 360 pad you are going to love the new xbox pad, the Dpad is just fantastic to use, I might even say it's better than the current ps3 Dpad. the triggers are slightly bigger (same as ps4) and it's insanely light. My only gripes is the plastic they used on the front of thing as it fells really cheap.

Xbox One is about the same size as a VCR.

Ps4 looks smaller but wider...

Played Hotline Miami 2, it's amazing, the music is even better than the first game, gameplay identical to the first game. Rape scene is still in the demo build of the game.

There were a ton of new indie games as well, can't wait to pick them up on Steam, couldn't take photos of WatchDogs but it really is amazing.
Great impressions man, thank you! Hope you had a great time there, can't wait to try some of that stuff myself.

Nabs

When I upgrade it from the 2.1 version should I do something in particular or just keep a backup of the ini file to later add the same modifications I'm using right now and then replace everything?

You got the right idea.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
9i4TmPtl.png

After about 10 Hours I finally finished Dead Space fellow GAFfers. Because of the lack of time and the fact that I've been tired I tried to play one Chapter each day.

This is a great game to test your surround sound and it's a blast if you have a decent audio setup. While using Headphones will increase your immersion having something like a 5.1 System should be interesting to play this game.

I played with a 360 Controller but there was two times during the game that I have to switch to mouse since I was having some difficulties because it was needed some precision.

The setting is great for what the game is all about, dark areas, lights failing on you and the fact you are always alone even when someone talks to you it's great for the immersion. I played the game using only one gun, the default one (but I have upgraded to the Max). Every time you get another suit you feel the need of upgrading it just to feel more protected. From all the Dead Space games I've played this is by far the best one in my honest opinion. If I could change some things it would be to give us more background history about the different types of enemies or just less types of enemies because I feel that, some of them are just to random (based on their looks). I can now say that I've played:

- Dead Space 1
- Dead Space 2
- Dead Space Extraction (HD Version)
- Dead Space 3 DEMO

I saw some people getting Dead Space 2 when it was on sale this week and saying they never played none of them. I recommend you guys to at least try the first one and then the second one if you are liking what you are playing. (RionaaM, I'm looking at you :p )
Glad to see you liked the game. Is it easy to play with the 360 pad, despite the 2 parts you mentioned?

While I was reading your last paragraph I was thinking "This is exactly what I'm gonna do one of these days". Then I saw you mentioned me directly, so now I have no excuse but to play them xD

2VsnabQ.png

DayZ looking very close!
Pointless LiveJournal-like post: Yesterday a coworker (the same that created that spreadsheet with his and my finished games) mentioned that game. I didn't think anyone I know in real life would know about DayZ, but he did.

The_Monk

Glad to see you liked the game. Is it easy to play with the 360 pad, despite the 2 parts you mentioned?

While I was reading your last paragraph I was thinking "This is exactly what I'm gonna do one of these days". Then I saw you mentioned me directly, so now I have no excuse but to play them xD

To me it was much more easier to play with the 360 Controller fellow GAFfer. I had no problems at all. Those issues I had was because I had to shoot some non-enemies and I was so terrible with it that I had to choose to try with my mouse. But it was not a game related issue but more my lack of skills.

I'm also happy that the game looks good even for those that have weak hardware.

Thorgal

9i4TmPtl.png

After about 10 Hours I finally finished Dead Space fellow GAFfers. Because of the lack of time and the fact that I've been tired I tried to play one Chapter each day.

This is a great game to test your surround sound and it's a blast if you have a decent audio setup. While using Headphones will increase your immersion having something like a 5.1 System should be interesting to play this game.

I played with a 360 Controller but there was two times during the game that I have to switch to mouse since I was having some difficulties because it was needed some precision.

The setting is great for what the game is all about, dark areas, lights failing on you and the fact you are always alone even when someone talks to you it's great for the immersion. I played the game using only one gun, the default one (but I have upgraded to the Max). Every time you get another suit you feel the need of upgrading it just to feel more protected. From all the Dead Space games I've played this is by far the best one in my honest opinion. If I could change some things it would be to give us more background history about the different types of enemies or just less types of enemies because I feel that, some of them are just to random (based on their looks). I can now say that I've played:

- Dead Space 1
- Dead Space 2
- Dead Space Extraction (HD Version)
- Dead Space 3 DEMO

I saw some people getting Dead Space 2 when it was on sale this week and saying they never played none of them. I recommend you guys to at least try the first one and then the second one if you are liking what you are playing. (RionaaM, I'm looking at you :p )

If i might ask .which ones do you feel are random ?

Imo. all the desings made sense so i am curious.

The_Monk

If i might ask .which ones do you feel are random ?

Imo. all the desings made sense so i am curious.

Maybe I wished it had a different approach fellow GAFfer. Take the movie Aliens for example. There's a ship like Dead Space and there's enemies but there are only one kind of enemies (the Aliens). In Dead Space you have enemies that are huge, enemies that
never die
, enemies that explode and so on. Variety is good, sure, but I like those types of horror games where the enemy is a pretty simple "thing" and you are a simple survivor.

mb9agnR.jpg

Finished Retro City Rampage today. It's a open world that is supposed to emulate what an 8-bit game looks and sound like, it takes place in the fictional of Theftropolis in the year 20XX. You're Player, a bad guy looking for some easy money. The gameplay is what you would expect from a top-down GTA-like with its weird driving and sometimes confusing gunfights, there is a lock system which helps but it's still hard hitting some moving targets.

That not the main focus of the game though, this game is heavily influenced by the 80s, the soundtrack, the plot, the graphics and it's also riddled with pop cultures references. Most of them are about video games but there's also movies, series, cartoons and so on. The references aren't subtle though, 20 minutes in you'll realise that it isn't about which references you can get but how many.
I think this is where people decided if they were going to give the game a chance or not, either you're thinking that it's a cheap way of getting sympathy from the player by paraphrasing the 80s with a big sign "THIS IS WHAT THE 80S WERE LIKE" or you're okay with the assumed retro trip. I think I belong in that last category.

The free roaming is mindless fun, driving down the pavement and running over hundred of pedestrians, getting a silly hat and haircut, tuning your skateboard with machine guns and stuff. Sprees are scattered throughout town, they're challenges in which you have to get a certain score to earn medals and compete on the leaderboards. I found them fun enough to try and get gold medals in all of them, you can be assigned to blowing up the most stuff you can in 60secs with a tank or be asked to fling people in the water with a bionic arm. Speaking of scoring, it's a pretty developped aspect of the game like it was in many old games, there's the sprees missions but also time attacks of specifics sections of missions and each of them is listed in the leaderboards, not to mention you also have a score for the main campaign. The main missions have silly plots and are pretexts for more references, however one of the big missed opportunities of the game I think is that these references could also have been made from a gameplay standpoint, and you only see these kind of bold moves when you're 75-80% in which is a real shame because the last missions are actually the most fun.
Sometimes you'll also hit a big difficulty spike for a specific part or some challenges, I think most of them are intended but the rest are just due to the game's main mechanics not being suited for what you're asked.
You can apply various visual filters to the game, they're pretty well made but they often make the action not easy to read. It's still a nice addition, there's a filter for the Gameboy, the Virtual Boy and a lot more.

The best quality of the games imo is its OST, if the game came out on NES I think some tracks would still be listened to today. Here's some of my favourites :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepUolIAISQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEk96XSbGk <- My personal favourite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdDZWdk8L0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1AciIy_Vg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3nT85GZBs
There's just so many good tracks, if you want the whole OST here's the playlist

This game is a love letter to the old times. I don't think the game is going to be worth 14&#8364; to a lot of people here but I think 10&#8364; is a good price considering all the love that was put in it.

Turfster

That not the main focus of the game though, this game is heavily influenced by the 80s, the soundtrack, the plot, the graphics and it's also riddled with pop cultures references. Most of them are about video games but there's also movies, series, cartoons and so on. The references aren't subtle though, 20 minutes in you'll realise that it isn't about which references you can get but how many.
I think this is where people decided if they were going to give the game a chance or not

Well put. I got to that point and I'd had enough.
What gameplay there was just wasn't fun, and constantly being bombarded by "Hey, hey, remember this? And this?" got really tiring.

ezekial45

Banned
Is anyone else getting a 'credit card is declined' message when making a purchase? My bank info and card is completely fine, no holds or anything, yet Steam isn't processing it.

Anyone know whats up?

What gameplay there was just wasn't fun, and constantly being bombarded by "Hey, hey, remember this? And this?" got really tiring.

Yeah, the stock gameplay is average and often approximative, it gets better for the last 5 missions or so because the game actually tries to vary its gameplay, but on the 60 missions of the games or so it ain't that much.
I actually bought the game when it came out, played half an hour and then it joined the abyss that is my backlog. I only got to re-play it again recently after (I think people are going to beat me up for this) I started playing GTA5.
I think the game is more of a listing of what the 80s-90s were like rather than being a real "clever" parody, you have to decide if it's okay with you or not, most people didn't like it and some like me decided to give it a pass.

wow nba 2k13 in teamup mode might be the laggiest thing i've ever played. dreamcast games ran better on 56k. it feels like 6FPS. fun but shit, idk if i just got stuck with foreigners or what...

denx

So, fine people from SteamGAF, I'm about to finish Mark of the Ninja (took longer than I expected, I blame my friend for lending me the first two seasons of Fringe since I've been watching that almost non-stop for the last two weeks) and I don't know what to play next. I know I want to play something fast paced and/or action heavy.

So my options are these:
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- Dust: An Elysian Tale
- Batman Arkham Asylum
- Transformers War for Cybertron
- Knights of the Old Republic (ok, this one is not like the others but I've been thinking of playing it for a while now, but I'm a bit put off by the time commitment it might need)

Thoughts?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

In part that's a function of a bad intro/demo; the rest of the game lowers the pace of the references considerably and amps up gameplay variety.

Turfster

In part that's a function of a bad intro/demo; the rest of the game lowers the pace of the references considerably and amps up gameplay variety.

Yeah, but the gameplay wasn't too gripping either. I did some random messing around in the world, found the zelda cave and things like that, but... it was all just... blah. Not for me.

I think steam might have reached a point where I can't keep up with new releases. My wishlist (separate from the one on Steam) has just broken the 100 entries barrier.

Tenrius

So, fine people from SteamGAF, I'm about to finish Mark of the Ninja (took longer than I expected, I blame my friend for lending me the first two seasons of Fringe since I've been watching that almost non-stop for the last two weeks) and I don't know what to play next. I know I want to play something fast paced and/or action heavy.

So my options are these:
- Batman Arkham Asylum
- Knights of the Old Republic (ok, this one is not like the others but I've been thinking of playing it for a while now, but I'm a bit put off by the time commitment it might need)

Thoughts?

Batman: AA, without doubt. It's an absolute blast, and it's only like 8-10 hours long.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Serious question: Which of these should I start with, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas?

I liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas, but that was entirely because of the setting. Since I live near DC, it's more appealing than the deserts of NV. NV had better combat because of iron sights, but that can be modded into 3.

They're both great games, though. Can't go wrong either way.

Grief.exe

So my options are these:
- Batman Arkham Asylum

Thoughts?

Wait for the Steamworks patch for AA, Dust and KOTOR are amazing. I've heard great things about the Transformers series.

Dambrosi

Banned

So my options are these:
Dust is great fun, fast and fluid with tons of action. War for Cybertron is great too, but remember to mod it first (see PC Gaming Wiki for the files needed - you're looking for the 30FPS Unlocker and Config Fix). Also, make sure you have a controller for both games.

Batman and KOTOR are great games too, but I wouldn't exactly call them "fast action games", plus Batman might be too thematically similar to MotN to follow it up.

Good though it is, Giana Sisters isn't even in the same league as the rest of those games.

Neither. Fallout 1.

Focus on actual role-playing than Oblivion with Guns.

I still love the first Fallout, but man getting into random battles with a bunch of rats late in the game while wearing power armor is the pits. It takes ages to wait out the turns and they can't hurt you.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
mb9agnR.jpg

Finished Retro City Rampage today. It's a open world that is supposed to emulate what an 8-bit game looks and sound like, it takes place in the fictional of Theftropolis in the year 20XX. You're Player, a bad guy looking for some easy money. The gameplay is what you would expect from a top-down GTA-like with its weird driving and sometimes confusing gunfights, there is a lock system which helps but it's still hard hitting some moving targets.

I think this is where people decided if they were going to give the game a chance or not, either you're thinking that it's a cheap way of getting sympathy from the player by paraphrasing the 80s with a big sign "THIS IS WHAT THE 80S WERE LIKE" or you're okay with the assumed retro trip. I think I belong in that last category.

The free roaming is mindless fun, driving down the pavement and running over hundred of pedestrians, getting a silly hat and haircut, tuning your skateboard with machine guns and stuff. Sprees are scattered throughout town, they're challenges in which you have to get a certain score to earn medals and compete on the leaderboards. I found them fun enough to try and get gold medals in all of them, you can be assigned to blowing up the most stuff you can in 60secs with a tank or be asked to fling people in the water with a bionic arm. Speaking of scoring, it's a pretty developped aspect of the game like it was in many old games, there's the sprees missions but also time attacks of specifics sections of missions and each of them is listed in the leaderboards, not to mention you also have a score for the main campaign. The main missions have silly plots and are pretexts for more references, however one of the big missed opportunities of the game I think is that these references could also have been made from a gameplay standpoint, and you only see these kind of bold moves when you're 75-80% in which is a real shame because the last missions are actually the most fun.
Sometimes you'll also hit a big difficulty spike for a specific part or some challenges, I think most of them are intended but the rest are just due to the game's main mechanics not being suited for what you're asked.
You can apply various visual filters to the game, they're pretty well made but they often make the action not easy to read. It's still a nice addition, there's a filter for the Gameboy, the Virtual Boy and a lot more.

The best quality of the games imo is its OST, if the game came out on NES I think some tracks would still be listened to today. Here's some of my favourites :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepUolIAISQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEk96XSbGk <- My personal favourite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdDZWdk8L0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1AciIy_Vg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3nT85GZBs
There's just so many good tracks, if you want the whole OST here's the playlist

This game is a love letter to the old times. I don't think the game is going to be worth 14€ to a lot of people here but I think 10€ is a good price considering all the love that was put in it.
I always forget about this game. Bought it one day and never started it, even though I was pretty excited back then when it was only announced for Wii. Maybe I should play it soon.

A quick question: how did you play it, keyboard or gamepad? And which do you think would be best suited for the game?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you fellow GAFfer! Just made a post in that thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83964015&postcount=32
F.E.A.R.? My man! Don't tempt me with another playthrough, I really shouldn't do that.

So my options are these:
- Batman Arkham Asylum

Thoughts?
If you want fast paced action, Dust is a perfect choice. Once you upgrade your character enough, the fights become chaotic and very rewarding. I loved that game, so I'd suggest you play it. Even if you don't enjoy the first few hours too much, please stick with it because it will get much better (as was my case).

Arkham Asylum is another solid choice, but I'm a little wary about recommending it, after a fellow SteamGAFfer started playing it and didn't really like it despite me saying it was excellent.

You'll want to use a gamepad especially if you are trying to complete some of the challenges with a gold medal.
Thanks for the answer, I'll play it with the 360 pad then.

Neither. Fallout 1.

Focus on actual role-playing than Oblivion with Guns.
Sadly this game felt way too outdated when I tried it 2 months ago. I died less than 30 minutes in, and I didn't understand the UI nor the controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom