• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

I have 20 episodes left on Season5 ..... and i just can't do it

Yeah, I watched like... 2.5 episodes of S5.
Not even John Noble could keep me interested in watching more.
Such an obvious "Oh shit, you mean we're not cancelled, after all that wrapping up we tried to do at the end of the last season? Quick, let's asspull something!"

Kammie

I'm trying out Sine Mora from the latest Humble Bundle.

Man, what a load of nonsense. Nonsensical story that's full of itself (and worst of all in a foreign language, so that I'm forced to read when the subtitles come up in the middle of the screen), cutscenes wrestling away control of my ship every two minutes (oh yeah, and the same happening every time there's a pointless camera change just to show off the scenery), stages that consist of nothing more than like 10 badguys before the boss... and every time that text comes up on the screen, it's for some worthless information that has no meaning.

All I wanted was to shoot things! This is even more offensive to me than a AAA game that thinks itself a movie.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
That is great to hear, thanks for sharing.

I'm waiting on Outlast since it will be part of the PS+ on PS4 (which I have it pre-ordered and will be getting it for 20€, can't say no for that price). But I'm curious for those two. It seems Haunted Memories will be Five Episodes and the first one will be free? Either way, the game was delayed to 4th October and I still don't see the price for the game, but I won't be able to get it day one so it's okay.

Outlast had effective scares for a lot of people, and I seem to be in the minority that didn't get much out of it. Horror is a very subjective, so it might work for you. I found the trailers unsettling, I just found the constant jump-scares to lose their power after about 10 minutes of each play session.

Trying to ascertain the motivations behind Japanese publishers is like trying to rationalize an insane person.

Their decisions are devoid of sense and rationale.
SEGA even implement region lock on their own PC games in Japan.

Region lock was supposed to use on countries with lower incomes, not for shits and giggles.
(Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea were region locked too.)

So, fine people from SteamGAF, I'm about to finish Mark of the Ninja (took longer than I expected, I blame my friend for lending me the first two seasons of Fringe since I've been watching that almost non-stop for the last two weeks) and I don't know what to play next. I know I want to play something fast paced and/or action heavy.

So my options are these:
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- Dust: An Elysian Tale
- Batman Arkham Asylum
- Transformers War for Cybertron
- Knights of the Old Republic (ok, this one is not like the others but I've been thinking of playing it for a while now, but I'm a bit put off by the time commitment it might need)

Thoughts?

Transformers War for Cybertron is awesome, you will love it!

kurahador

So, fine people from SteamGAF, I'm about to finish Mark of the Ninja (took longer than I expected, I blame my friend for lending me the first two seasons of Fringe since I've been watching that almost non-stop for the last two weeks) and I don't know what to play next. I know I want to play something fast paced and/or action heavy.

So my options are these:
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- Dust: An Elysian Tale
- Batman Arkham Asylum
- Transformers War for Cybertron
- Knights of the Old Republic (ok, this one is not like the others but I've been thinking of playing it for a while now, but I'm a bit put off by the time commitment it might need)

Thoughts?

If you want to focus on 1 game at a time, Batman AA.
If you can juggle between 2 games, Transformers+any of those.

From the perspective of a casual action game fan, I actually kind of like DmC. I like the gameplay, even if it's kind of on the easy side, it's got some interesting boss designs and some amazing environment design but man do all of the cutscenes and dialogue make me cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1tbb3iTzk

No difference than the older DMC really...well except DMC2.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
From the perspective of a casual action game fan, I actually kind of like DmC. I like the gameplay, even if it's kind of on the easy side, it's got some interesting boss designs and some amazing environment design but man do all of the cutscenes and dialogue make me cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1tbb3iTzk

You mean you don't like finding out that Vergil has a bigger dick?

Also don't know how you can find the boss designs interesting when there all bland as hell.

Turfster

Groupees Kiss 2 Reloaded and Build a Bundle 7 are 1 game minimum @0.75$ (down from 2 @1.5$) for a limited time.
Also, looks like Train Sim got replaced with The 39 Steps in the bonuses (which is worth the 0.75$ on its own if you like visual novels)

No difference than the older DMC really...well except DMC2.

How can you even say that. Have you played the game or at least watched the youtube video I linked to? How are the older DMC's no different from what's in that cutscene in DmC? Part of their interaction literally consists of Dante and the succubus simply saying "fuck you" back and forth. The older Devil May Cry's were cornball, ridiculous and kind of irreverent. They really started to revel in these aspects with 3 and moreso with 4 (see every cutscene in which Dante appears). This is a 14 year old's idea of grim, dark and mature. There is a good country mile of difference between DmC and the rest of the series in this regard.

Given all the shit Tameem Antoniades said about the older games in the series in various interviews, I cannot fathom how they thought any of what they were doing in regards to the dialogue was a marked improvement over the older games.

Also don't know how you can find the boss designs interesting when there all bland as hell.

I don't quite get how a bossfight against a suspend slug-like monster with six arms that has you leaping between three platforms is more bland than some of the bossfights from DMC1 but to each their own.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just released Enhanced Steam version 4.8

• Added option to exclude Free To Play games from being highlighted
  • Added new tag: "friends recommend" which links to the recommendation page
  • Added "Endless Scrolling" mode for search results pages
  • Added Simplified Chinese translation by Bin Dong
  • Added option to replace account name in header with community name
  • Fixed a bug where "Compare" links were only showing if your language was English
  • Fixed a bug where friends with nicknames would incorrectly show 3 "Compare" links
If you're using the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam, it should update automatically within the next hour.

Parsnip

I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!

Also, I liked the new DmC. I had a ton of fun with the combat and the story/dialogue was just the right kind of dumb I can get behind.

Grief.exe

Remember the Surgeon Simulator ARG that everyone was going crazy about? People thought it had some kind of connection to Half-Life 3?

The code has been cracked, takes you to a pretty cool alien surgery in outer space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO-M9JnMw1Q

Hats off to them by gating content in this way, not many developers would do something like that anymore.

My biggest gripe with DMC was the aesthetics of the enemy design. Many of the common fodder enemies had doll faces and it made me feel like I was playing Alice:Madness Returns.

DMC4 had some great looking enemy design with the angel enemies, grim reapers, etc.

Anyways anyone else have the problem with Legend of Grimrock where you figure out a difficult puzzle, progress and immediately encounter a tougher puzzle that sucks the life out of you. What a punch to the gut.

kurahador

How can you even say that. Have you played the game or at least watched the youtube video I linked to? How are the older DMC's no different from what's in that cutscene in DmC? Part of their interaction literally consists of Dante and the succubus simply saying "fuck you" back and forth. The older Devil May Cry's were cornball, ridiculous and kind of irreverent. They really started to revel in these aspects with 3 and moreso with 4 (see every cutscene in which Dante appears). This is a 14 year old's idea of grim, dark and mature. There is a good country mile of difference between DmC and the rest of the series in this regard.

Given all the shit Tameem Antoniades said about the older games in the series in various interviews, I cannot fathom how they thought any of what they were doing in regards to the dialogue was a marked improvement over the older games.

DMC/DmC contains corny, ridiculousness and cringeworthy moments, with the latter being more juvenile.

I have good fun playing them but that's it, they're all equally Devil May Cry-ish to me. Yes...even DMC2, I like that game.

I just released Enhanced Steam version 4.8

• Added option to exclude Free To Play games from being highlighted
  • Added new tag: "friends recommend" which links to the recommendation page
  • Added "Endless Scrolling" mode for search results pages
  • Added Simplified Chinese translation by Bin Dong
  • Added option to replace account name in header with community name
  • Fixed a bug where "Compare" links were only showing if your language was English
  • Fixed a bug where friends with nicknames would incorrectly show 3 "Compare" links
If you're using the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam, it should update automatically within the next hour.

Thank you!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thank you!

You guys will have to try out the new version and let me know how the "Endless scrolling" works. I was only able to test it on about 6 computers initially.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jshackles:

1) Feedback on endless scrolling: works well, but it seems to prioritize the API calls for highlighting games over firing off the next page request. This isn't a big deal and is something that manifests itself most readily in a test (IE rapidly scrolling to the bottom to force infinite scroll) rather than real-world usage, but maybe something to consider.

2) Have you ever considered making the options pages toggles asynchronous? I always forget to click save, especially because the save button is at the bottom of the options page scroll and the options page keeps getting longer.

You guys will have to try out the new version and let me know how the "Endless scrolling" works. I was only able to test it on about 6 computers initially.

Just had a quick play (note had to enable it in options first). Seemed to work just fine with chrome 29.0.1547.76.

I did notice that some of the options, such as "tag games you own and wishlisted" are still working, but not marked as enabled after the update.

jshackles

jshackles:

1) Feedback on endless scrolling: works well, but it seems to prioritize the API calls for highlighting games over firing off the next page request. This isn't a big deal and is something that manifests itself most readily in a test (IE rapidly scrolling to the bottom to force infinite scroll) rather than real-world usage, but maybe something to consider.

2) Have you ever considered making the options pages toggles asynchronous? I always forget to click save, especially because the save button is at the bottom of the options page scroll and the options page keeps getting longer.

Awesome. Yeah Enhanced Steam loads it's functions that highlight/tag/hide/etc after the nodes are inserted, so if it's still processing while trying to make another request (load more search results) it operates on a first in, first out basis.

And yeah I need to work on the options page. In addition to saving the toggles when they're set I'm also planning on re-organizing the first page, it's grown into quite a mess.

Just had a quick play (note had to enable it in options first). Seemed to work just fine with chrome 29.0.1547.76.

I did notice that some of the options, such as "tag games you own and wishlisted" are still working, but not marked as enabled after the update.

Hmm that's weird, it should have been enabled by default...

jshackles

Here is a thing for you jshackles.

When I get to this: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Metascore&sort_order=DESC&category1=998 it doesn't endlessly scroll. It works fine everywhere else that I've seen, but not when I sort by metascore and remove all the owned games. It endlessly scrolls fine when sorting by metascore when hiding items I own is off however.

Mine was turned on by default I believe btw.

Hmm I see the problem. I suspect you own a large number of highly rated games. Rather than loading all of the results at once, the new function only triggers on the scroll event when you're at the bottom of the list. If you select to hide the games, and go to a page of search results that you own most of, you're probably left with a page that is too small to scroll. For now if you resize your window and continue scrolling, it should work. I'll add some code into the next version that checks to see if there are less than 25 results on the page and if not, add more results (without the need of scrolling).

shackles how come you don't make skins?

I guess I don't think I'd have much to add in the way of a Steam skin. Unfortunately, Steam skins can't alter the browser code the way I would need to to make the client act like Enhanced Steam.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I guess I don't think I'd have much to add in the way of a Steam skin. Unfortunately, Steam skins can't alter the browser code the way I would need to to make the client act like Enhanced Steam.

If that were possible nobody will use "default" steam over Enhanced Steam, Valve is no fool.

jshackles

If that were possible nobody will use "default" steam over Enhanced Steam, Valve is no fool.

It actually *is* possible, and something I'm working on. But it won't be a skin. In fact, it will work with every skin. And every browser.

I've got to get it approved by Valve though.

Should I drop $40 on Rayman Legends or should I go back to playing Witcher 2's Roche path? Decisions, decisions.

Roche's path is great as well. There's some very interesting choices and he has some great development. I really can't say much without spoiling it for you. Ves is also pretty awesome.

I still need to do Iorveth's :(

Cody_D165

Banned
Forgive me if old, but I just found out Amazon is selling a WB Creative Pack containing Scribblenauts Unlimited and LEGO Lord of the Rings for $12.49 total until October 2.

You can also buy the individual games at 70% off. Scribblenauts for $5.99 and LEGO LOTR for $8.99.

I have the Wii U version of Scribblenauts but at that price I think I'm going to double dip for the achievements/keyboard support/workshop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's up with Topware Interactive releasing a half-dozen old games today? Who owned the licenses for those games before today?

Deques

What's up with Topware Interactive releasing a half-dozen old games today? Who owned the licenses for those games before today?

Dunno the history about this. If you are going to buy these games, you can wait.

One of the Groupees admins stated a while ago that they were planning to do a Topware RPG bundle. If they do launch one, you can count on them including Septerra Core/Gorky 17 Steam keys for it.

Just putting this up here:

EWfUZDl.png

Brofist, here is my progress

Echoplx

Well, I understand all that, but I wasn't able to locate such a setting in my Nvidia and Intel (since it uses Optimus) software or, rather, I was able to find it, but it appeared to be in order. I'm quite happy with the solution I found anyway — you have to use different compatibility modes for a lot of 4:3 games as is, so it's just an extra checkbox to go through.

In the Nvidia control panel there should be an "adjust desktop size and position" tab on the left, the settings you need to change are there

It could also be because Fallout is so old it's not triggering the dedicated card and is therefore relying on Intel settings.. In that case you should force high performance mode for the exe in the "manage 3d settings" tab.

There should be similar options in the Intel software but I can't really help you there.

sapsari

Should I drop $40 on Rayman Legends or should I go back to playing Witcher 2's Roche path? Decisions, decisions.

I bought ru version (which is around $15) and have no regrets.

Also I'm about to finish the game, a few Teensie rescue missions left. Game is great; graphics, animations, sound, music, level designs, gameplay mechanics are all top quality. And musical levels rock, retro musical levels rock harder :) But I think Origins was better than Legends, coz it focused more on core platformer mechanics (like running and jumping). Legends has too much levels built upon secondary mechanics (like swimming and stealth).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom