• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's your specs? Brotherhood is chugging along at 15-45 fps for me. I maxed everything except AO at 2x. Granted my specs are...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
6 GB DDR2 RAM
MSI GTX 770 OC Edition

I'd say your CPU is holding you back. I played through Brotherhood PC last year, in the lead-up to 3, and even when the draw distance was at its highest (i.e. when syncing with a view point) the lowest the framerate went to was ~80fps -- this was with a single 670.

Edit: Oh, and max in-game settings, I should add (sans AA; I was fiddling with SMAA at the time and so opted for it instead).

Storm360

Hmmm? They weren't even close. Their first game for the Linux version of Steam came in February 2013 (Crusader Kings II).

I think Serious Sam 3 linux version followed closely the Steam for Linux launch (might have been at the same time.) I feel like those people were the only non-indie dev at the time with Linux ports in Steam.

I remember all Linux beta members getting a temporary copy of Serious Sam 3

epaturun

Nope. Not only was Scribblenauts not built with controllers in mind, which, given the nature of the game, would make emulating mouse movements via a stick cumbersome, but the only on-screen keyboard the PC version has pertains to special characters -- the regular in-game keyboard was given the flick since it was made redundant by the physical keyboard the player has.

I agree, tried some mappings and too tedious with joy2key support - i guess this is where the steam controller could have advantages -

wish it had on screen keyboard, I'll have to see if Scribblenauts Unmasked is the same and has no keyboard support

Milamber

I'd say your CPU is holding you back. I played through Brotherhood PC last year, in the lead-up to 3, and even when the draw distance was at its highest (i.e. when syncing with a view point) the lowest the framerate went to was ~80fps and this was with a single 670.

Yeah, I was hoping that my CPU wouldn't be that a big a bottleneck but looks like I got no choice.

ss_97955c0f7d8400da2805274c878627f213f18d07.1920x1080.jpg
Holy shit ewwwww, what is this Day One game? Is it any good?

Are there any trustworthy GAFfers who trade for game keys? I know Dunder does Paypal but I don't have Paypal. I was looking for someone who had Spelunky to sell/trade

JaseC

Are there any trustworthy GAFfers who trade for game keys? I know Dunder does Paypal but I don't have Paypal. I was looking for someone who had Spelunky to sell/trade

Dunder closed up shop a while back. Poke around on Steam Trades/TF2 Outpost -- the former has a feedback system if you want to be particularly careful, but it's worth noting that even if you find yourself screwed over, you can ask Valve to reverse the trade, so you wouldn't be out of pocket.

The_Monk

Morning GAFfers, I was searching some gameplay for Wasteland 2 again, a game that since the first time I saw I said: I must have this.

I believe the Beta is Starting in October, anyone hyped for this game? I'm really liking what I've seen so I went to the Store page to see how much it will cost me to ship the game and it's going to be at least $20 just for shipping.

Are any plans for a Steam Version? Did they say anything about that?

Here's some gameplay for those who never saw it (there was a more interesting video out there showing the different approaches you can have)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU

OverHeat

« generous god »
I wanted to start playing max payne 3 since it was part of my backlog...but the game keep reverting back to DX9 on my 780m on windows 8 try everything from running in compatibility mode to adding -adapter 1 and -DX11 to the launcher still did not work (it crash at launch) even setting the gpu in the nvidia control panel do not do the trick :(

oipic

Wrapping up Alpha Protocol, god, the PC version is a glitchy mess.

• Constant hangs while reloading saves,
  • Which you must do, because the 'resume from last checkpoint' option does not respawn enemies, making a lot of missions unwinable

I hear you, Knurek, particularly on these two points - I just completed a play-through of Alpha Protocol, too, and the glitchy checkpoint reload option, and the 'blank screen of death' crash that forced me to restart often definitely marred the experience. On the whole, though, I'd say it was worthwhile, despite these glitches and some jankiness.

Apologies in retrospect to all of you guys on my friends list who may have had to endure countless notifications as I constantly closed/reopened the game in recent weeks!

The_Monk

Way back when the kickstarter launched. ;)

Thanks JaseC. They have the Digital version (assuming this is the one for Steam?) on their Website for $55 USD, that's a bit expensive for me even if I'm paying in €...

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

"You will also receive a digital concept art book, downloadable digital soundtrack, early playable beta access, digital map and instruction book."

This seems the perfect game to play in the cold Winter. I hope there's more people in here interested.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I am having so much trouble cutting off Seath's tail in DS. This is probably my 5th go.

Word on the street is that you should lure him near his crystal at the back of the area and when he attacks he will destroy the crystal himself and that stuns him leaving his tail wide open for a beating.

Otherwise you could probably do it in co-op if you have a friend who plays the game since you can pull aggro while he works on the tail or vice versa.

I heard they patch the game so Seath turns quicker whenever you try to get around its back.

I can believe it. I haven't been able to make him break the crystal himself yet, so I'm hoping that's what will give me enough time to get back there to actually do something.

Word on the street is that you should lure him near his crystal at the back of the area and when he attacks he will destroy the crystal himself and that stuns him leaving his tail wide open for a beating.

Ah, and there you go.

So guys.... I just experienced dat feel of 120fps...... Was at my friends house and he has this crazy pc, 4770k, gtx 770, liquid cooled etc etc and damn.....so slick.... Sad thing is.... he only plays Flight Simulator X.........wat..... He's new to PC gaming and plays Battlefield on PC with a controller.......I don't...I couldn't even....

f45.gif

Hmmm, seems like you should get him into some DOTA 2.

I can believe it. I haven't been able to make him break the crystal himself yet, so I'm hoping that's what will give me enough time to get back there to actually do something.

Plan B is to pull out a bow and use that to hit the crystal. This should also buy you enough time to get some good damage into the tail.

JaseC

Thanks JaseC. They have the Digital version (assuming this is the one for Steam?) on their Website for $55 USD, that's a bit expensive for me even if I'm paying in €...

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

"You will also receive a digital concept art book, downloadable digital soundtrack, early playable beta access, digital map and instruction book."

This seems the perfect game to play in the cold Winter. I hope there's more people in here interested.

The phrasing of "... through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods" suggests to me that the Steam version will be DRM-free also (plus locking a Steam key behind the $55 tier would be rather silly). If you'd rather err on the side of caution, send off an e-mail and ask -- it's not worth paying $55 if you're not overly interested in beta access.

Derrick01

Banned
Morning GAFfers, I was searching some gameplay for Wasteland 2 again, a game that since the first time I saw I said: I must have this.

I believe the Beta is Starting in October, anyone hyped for this game? I'm really liking what I've seen so I went to the Store page to see how much it will cost me to ship the game and it's going to be at least $20 just for shipping.

Are any plans for a Steam Version? Did they say anything about that?

Here's some gameplay for those who never saw it (there was a more interesting video out there showing the different approaches you can have)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU

I'm cautiously excited for it only because the dev's track record (other than Fargo and wasteland 1 an eon ago) is really poor. I'm concerned about the size of the game and how long it will last because even though it made a ton of money it was still only $3-$4 million which isn't much anymore.

I'm positive they'll have a steam version for sale when it officially releases although I think they said it'll be twice the price of the lowest backing tier on kickstarter, whatever it was.

Xanathus

Isn't that an oxymoron? Most games on Steam do require the client running (and what is excluded is mostly older games at that, or things using external runtimes like Dosbox or Adobe Air).

No, games sold on Steam do not necessarily need to have Steam running to actually run them. You could just run the executable directly. Can't think of any examples off the top of my head at the moment, maybe Thomas Was Alone?

JaseC

Isn't that an oxymoron? Most games on Steam do require the client running (and what is excluded is mostly older games at that, or things using external runtimes like Dosbox or Adobe Air).

CEG/"Steam DRM" is entirely optional, even for Steamworks games (Divinity: Dragon Commander, Scribblenauts Unlimited and Super Meat Boy are a few such examples). The only distinction to make between a DRM-free game on Steam versus a DRM-free game on GOG is that with the former you're required to use the client to download the title whereas with the latter you can either use a web browser or the optional download utility.

kafiend

There's probably more. Taken from here.

This is a list of games available on Steam that do not use the Steamworks CEG component, making them effectively DRM-free once installed. This means that you can copy the game folder anywhere you want and launch the .exe directly without being online or having Steam running.

1000 Amps
All Zombies Must Die* (run ShippingPC-Bzb2Game.exe)
Alpha Protocol (run Binaries\APGame.exe, NOT APLauncher.exe)
Analogue: A Hate Story
A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda (error message can be dismissed)
Atom Zombie Smasher (run atom_net.exe, NOT atomzombiesmasher.exe)
Aztaka
Basement Collection, The (doesn't show unlocked content – see here)
Bastion
BEEP
Ben There, Dan That
Binding of Isaac, The
Blackwell series (achievements disabled)
Blocks That Matter
Bob Came in Pieces
Botanicula
Breath of Death VII
Broken Sword 2
Cogs
Containment
Cortex Command
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Crusader Kings
Crusader Kings 2
Cthulhu Saves the World
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!
Dangerous Waters
Data Jammers: FastForward
DCS: Black Shark
DEFCON
Divine Divinity
Dream Machine, The
Dungeon Siege 2 (but not 1 or 3)
Dungeons of Dredmor (mods installed through the Steam Workshop aren't available)
Elven Legacy
Ether Vapor Remaster
Eufloria
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Faerie Solitaire
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Frozen Synapse
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Gemini Rue
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto 2
Gratuitous Space Battles
Hacker Evolution Duality
Home
Jamestown
Legend of Grimrock (will launch Steam if it can be found, but runs if it cannot – see here)
Legendary
Lightfish*
Lone Survivor
Lucid
Lunar Flight
Machinarium
Majesty HD (but not Majesty Gold – see here)
Majesty 2 Collection
Mini Ninjas
Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, The
?Mount and Blade: Warband (version 1.153 was CEG free, 1.154 isn't; Steam CD key can be used to redeem a DRM-free copy – see here)
Multiwinia
Nimbus
Noitu Love 2: Devolution
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
Painkiller Redemption
Path, The
PixelJunk Eden* (error message can be dismissed)
Polynomial, The
Psychonauts
Puzzle Quest 2
Rayman Origins
Really Big Sky
Rock of Ages*
Saira
Samorost 2
Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Classics
Serious Sam 2 (but neither of the Serious Sam HD Encounters)
Sniper Elite
Snuggle Truck
SOL: Exodus
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 – Episode I (but not Episode II)
Space Rangers
Super Crate Box
Super Laser Racer
Super Meat Boy
Tales of Monkey Island – Episode 1 (but not the remaining episodes)
Thief: The Dark Project
Thief II: The Metal Age
Time, Gentlemen, Please!
TRAUMA
Trapped Dead
Unstoppable Gorg
Vertex Dispenser
Victoria II
Virus Named TOM, A
VVVVVV
Windosill
Wizorb
Worms Pinball

The_Monk

I'm expecting at least 20-30 hours worth of gameplay in that game. I know there are more than one way to play but I really wanted a good length on it.

If the game only gets about 10 hours then it would be a shame, but again, they could be 10 hours very well spent or not. I'll be looking for more impressions and gameplay from those playing the upcoming Beta. I'm also hoping the game to not be very demanding specs wise.

Li Kao

I'm expecting at least 20-30 hours worth of gameplay in that game. I know there are more than one way to play but I really wanted a good length on it.

If the game only gets about 10 hours then it would be a shame, but again, they could be 10 hours very well spent or not. I'll be looking for more impressions and gameplay from those playing the upcoming Beta. I'm also hoping the game to not be very demanding specs wise.

Uh, are you still talking about wasteland 2 ? (sorry, I power read the thread to catch up on the posts). If so, even in a catastrophic turn of event, 10 hours seems quite pessimistic, we are talking about an RPG, 10 hours would be a world record of shortness. It would make it the Red Faction 2 of RPG, no ?
I'm not too worried about length personally.

I'm pretty keen for it as well. 30+ hours is a very safe bet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am pretty dead set on making an appreciation thread on Singleplayer Trading Card Games, especially the ones with overworld, a story and/or "quests" etc. Anyone have some to name?

Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Magic the Gathering: Shandalar are probably the prime examples because of the popularity of the real cards. Then there is stuff like Baten Kaitos and Card Hunter. Others?

Knurek

Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Magic the Gathering: Shandalar are probably the prime examples because of the popularity of the real cards. Then there is stuff like Baten Kaitos and Card Hunter. Others?

Culdcept comes to mind.

//Edit

And that new SpaceChem guys game, but you of all people should know about it. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Culdcept comes to mind.

//Edit

And that new SpaceChem guys game, but you of all people should know about it. :)

Yeah, that game is basically one of the reasons I wanted to make the appreciation thread (OT is in the works), but I'd appreciate as many suggestions as possible in case I am forgetting something. All consoles/handhelds are fine as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I am pretty dead set on making an appreciation thread on Singleplayer Trading Card Games, especially the ones with overworld, a story and/or "quests" etc. Anyone have some to name?

Blizzard's new game, Hearthstone (Giantbomb Quicklook). Looks hella polished.

FloatOn

I guess if you view your squad units as a kind of "card" might and magic clash of heroes is my personal favorite in this type of game.

The_Monk

Thanks for the explanations about Wasteland 2 fellow GAFfers, here's hoping for a proper length too!

Toma what about that Uncharted Card game for the PS Vita?

Toma

Thanks for the explanations about Wasteland 2 fellow GAFfers, here's hoping for a proper length too!

Toma what about that Uncharted Card game for the PS Vita?

Semi-counts because its only skirmishes. Not sure how I go about including these yet. Thanks for mentioning though, would have forgotten about it. For now I want a list of every decent TCG/TCG series that one mainly plays for the SP or at least has a sizeable SP focus.

Knurek

Yeah, that game is basically one of the reasons I wanted to make the appreciation thread (OT is in the works), but I'd appreciate as many suggestions as possible in case I am forgetting something. All consoles/handhelds are fine as well.

Mega Man Battle Network should count as well.
Kingdom Hears: Chain of Memories
Duel Masters games for Game Boy Advance.

Man, I'm glad that I re-installed War For Cybertron. I was like "I wonder if I can transform into a jet, fly over to that Autobot, transform back, smash it with the melee attack in mid-air, then transform into a jet again in one fluid chain".

The answer was yes.

Toma

Mega Man Battle Network should count as well.
Kingdom Hears: Chain of Memories
Duel Masters games for Game Boy Advance.

Nice suggestions, I'll look into these. Seems like I have some research ahead of me. If you have more suggestion guys, keep them coming.

Echoplx

Retrovirus has some serious performance issues.. Seems like a really cool game too, what a shame.

edit:: performance seems to be completely random depending on what you're looking at, kinda playable I guess.

Nice suggestions, I'll look into these. Seems like I have some research ahead of me. If you have more suggestion guys, keep them coming.

SNK Vs Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash for Neo Geo Pocket Colour. Both versions. The best SP card battle game I've ever played.

NIN90

Hex will have a meaty PvE component.

Freezard

Does anyone know the length of Monkey Island SE? I've never played it before.

Not sure it's my type of game. Well more like the theme. I remember playing MI3 back in the days and it was pretty good though. Switching back to the classic mode in SE, it definitely looks a lot older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom